Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Italianflyer
Topic Author

Ultimate DL Upgrade: Your Own Jet!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Delta will start offering HVC s space on Delta Private Jets as soon as this week!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...upgrades-to-private-jets/30738655/

Game changer or non event?

[Edited 2015-07-27 12:00:22]

jayunited

RE: Ultimate DL Upgrade: Your Own Jet!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:20 pm

I think it is a great idea simple reason the flight is already costing Delta money even as a empty leg you still have to pay for the fuel and pay the pilots and probably the FA's are being paid as well on these empty leg segments so why not open up these flights to your high value customers it should be a win win for Delta's customers. Their high value customers if they choose to pay for the upgrade get to enjoy a flight on a private jet which in turn will open up first class seats on the commercial aircraft for customers who otherwise would have no choice but to sit in coach. This could be a hit with corporate clients if Delta finds a way to always have a a private jet available on certain routes at a competitive price.

If American and United do not have a private jet subsidiary I imagine starting today they are looking private jet companies to see which one they can buy out especially if this proves to be a hit for Delta.

jetjack74

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Thread starter):
Game changer or non event?

You'd have to be a really High-Value Customer to get one of these.
Made from jets!

rta

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 2):

Same with being picked up in a Porsche. In any case, I think its a good move as it differentiates Delta from the crowd, opens up a seat in FC, and earns some revenue.

B4REAL

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

I think it's brilliant logistics and aircraft utilization. DL has good insight on who is flying where, I think this will work!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

CXfirst

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:06 pm

How far ahead would HVC be offered these seats? The only problem I see is that they may lose one of the key reasons to have a private jet, flexibility. If they need to last minute change where that jet goes, it is not a great image having to tell the HVC that the private jet they were now booked on, is no longer travelling.

-CXfirst

LAXtoATL

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 2):

Silver Medallion. Not that high up. Just have to be willing to pay the upgrade fee. This service is not complimentary.

adamblang

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
How far ahead would HVC be offered these seats?

Second paragraph of the linked article:

Quote:
The offer for the upgrades will go to a small number of fliers, usually within 24 or 48 hours of their scheduled flight.

jetblue1965

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 pm

if i had DL status I wouldn't mind paying $300 just to check out the experience for the fun of it (hopefully something longer than a 15 minute JFK-PHL hop)

corey07850

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 am

Quoting jayunited (Reply 1):

Not exactly, the position legs are most likely going to be paid for by the charter customer already (for example I charter a flight from Atlanta to NY on an Atlanta based plane, I am also paying for the position leg from NY back to home base. It is an opportunity for them to try to make a few extra bucks on an empty leg. Personally I just see this as being too complex to really make a difference. Living the world of private jet charter there are so many variables that will make this too much effort than it's worth.

777Jet

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:12 am

Great to see DL think outside the box!

I'd certainly pay $300 - $800 for such an experience  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

clickhappy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:27 am

Quoting corey07850 (Reply 9):
Not exactly, the position legs are most likely going to be paid for by the charter customer already

DPJ, as with most fractional, or pre-pay, operations, do not charge for the empty leg. That's why, when you charter a GV from an operator directly its 5k/hour, when you do it via NetJets (as an example) it's 10k.

davescj

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 am

It makes a great deal of sense. Why not sell the empty seat? I know if I could get a seat for 300, I'd do it just to try it. I"m guessing Im' not the only one. As others have said, gets some $$, opens a F seat (which will make another flier happy), sounds like winning all the way around.

Good idea who ever had it at DL.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
How far ahead would HVC be offered these seats? The only problem I see is that they may lose one of the key reasons to have a private jet, flexibility.

...that's why it's generally a good idea to READ the article before commenting. It addresses all of the above.  

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 11):
DPJ, as with most fractional, or pre-pay, operations, do not charge for the empty leg.

Interesting. If others are doing so, it sorta makes a layperson wonder why they don't?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

northwestEWR

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 am

It's definitely different! I don't know if it will work long term but it's not costing Delta anything to try and the big reason to do it is to sell DPJ to those HVCs. Try it once for cheap and they may be so happy they'll do it more often (book charter direct).

Very cool idea.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

ripcordd

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 am

Only a small number will be offered it, it will be like winning the lotto but a smart way to keep their hvc loyal.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:50 am

Yeah I bet you they offer this a very small amount of times on a few routes when they need to move planes around. I bet you its only offered to reposition flights or when planes are over sold and they need to open up some seats. They are not just going to offer a private plane on JFK-DC because the plane is sitting there idle.

northwestEWR

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:59 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):
Yeah I bet you they offer this a very small amount of times on a few routes when they need to move planes around. I bet you its only offered to reposition flights or when planes are over sold and they need to open up some seats. They are not just going to offer a private plane on JFK-DC because the plane is sitting there idle.

Yes and no... Let's do some very quick and guesswork math. 66 airplanes in the DPJ fleet. Let's say they average 2 revenue flights per day. That's 4 flights per day if we assume 2 position flights for 2 revenue flights. For 66 airplanes that's 132 position flights PER DAY. If even 10% of those are offered to HVCs, that's still 13/day which doesn't sound unreasonable.

It's all worth it if just a few HVCs decide to utilize DPJ in the future.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos