Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

musapapaya
Topic Author

Can A Bring An Empty Sigg Bottle Through Security?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Dear all

As you may be aware, CX was recently caught out with issues related to safety of their drinking water: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ing-water-fails-hygiene-tests.html

I just wonder, as they are handing out mineral water, and I would like to try to save some plastic, so rather than asking the crew to hand cups to me, can I bring an empty SIGG bottle that I have been using for years and use it for water inflight - just to save that few plastic cups?

The reason is, SIGG bottle is made of metal, will security be bothered about it?

Regards
musapapaya

bluejuice

RE: Can A Bring An Empty Sigg Bottle Through Security?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:03 pm

I have never had a problem with empty liquids containers. At my home airport SFO, there are even airside filling stations for water bottles.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

musapapaya
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for this, I have brought empty plastic bottles through too but given this is a metal one, I wanted to check.

There was a report somewhere saying using plastic bottles for long period of time is not good for health, hence I got this sigg bottle a few years ago and I like it so much that I don't want to be confiscated by airport security.

rnav2dlrey

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm

no problem with security, although i've had the odd UA FA refuse to replenish the bottle inflight because of "sanitary reasons".

Cipango

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:53 pm

My travel buddy has brought his through multiple times. Sometimes they stop and query it but it has always been allowed through.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

flashmeister

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:58 pm

I've brought them through security many times. They always get looked at individually (i.e. taken out of my carryon) but nothing more than a quick once over and I'm on my way.

I wouldn't ask for them to be filled inflight though. I'd be surprised if anyone would do it.

CplKlinger

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm

I've taken a container similar to this --> Kleen Kanteen through security at IND and MCO (empty, of course) and no one even batted an eye.

kgaiflyer

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Quoting rnav2dlrey (Reply 3):
i've had the odd UA FA refuse to replenish the bottle inflight because of "sanitary reasons".

Usually just the opposite. I've had UA FAs express disappointment when I stopped drinking in the 45 minutes before landing (two reasons - (1) I don't want to fall down when I stand up, and (2) I don't want to get a DUI leaving the airport).

Btw, I seen FAs fill water bottles and baby bottles aboard plane, I would conclude the quantity of water aboard a particular flight might be limited. Quantity aboard also dictates whether you get a can or a cup of soda.

And as a matter of fact, I've been on several 'miscatered' flights out of BWI -- one with no "Choice Menu" item aboard (only snack boxes flying BWI-SFO at 6am) -- and one with only one brand of beer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos