KaiTak747
Topic Author

Aircraft David Cameron Is Using For SE Asia Tour?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 am

I was wondering if anyone knows what aircraft David Cameron is using for the South East Asia tour he is currently on.

I would imagine, as he has done in the past, he will be on a BA or VS chartered plane.

Any info would be much appreciated!

KarelXWB

RE: Aircraft David Cameron Is Using For SE Asia Tour?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:26 am

Quoting KaiTak747 (Thread starter):
I was wondering if anyone knows what aircraft David Cameron is using for the South East Asia tour he is currently on.

A350?

http://www.facebook.com/VietnamAirlinesCorp/posts/850562758330897
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

mutu

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 am

I would be surprised if it wasn't one of them
The photo opportunity looks like a "wings and engines made in Britain" type opportunity rather than an "I flew here on a Vietnamese A350"

mwhcvt

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:37 pm

It seems he is using the 767 of Titan Airways...I'm guessing that neither BA or VS has a spare aircraft, especially not VS as they have had one A346 that was doing some charter work for Chelsea FC

Of course the simple answer could we be that Titan tendered the best value, as each contract is now tendered on an idividual basis these days rather than a specific airline having a long term contract
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

KaiTak747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting mwhcvt (Reply 3):

It seems he is using the 767 of Titan Airways...

Interesting... the Titan 767 is all economy.

mwhcvt

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 4):

Indeed that's what it says on the website, though I'm betting they are able to reconfigure it into a more business style layout if required to
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

speedbird9

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 am

I believe it's one of Titan's Boeing 757s (G-POWH)

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/g-powh/

Couple of shots of he outside and inside in the following articles/videos
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33699636
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33727229

The video seems to indicate it was fitted with business class seating

ariis

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 am

Is it only me who thinks it's a shame that the head of a powerful European state comes out of a bland, untitled grayish (and rather old-style) aircraft? Can't they at least put some stickers to distinguish it from yet another cargo carrying nothing but tea, jam and biscuits?

Jokes aside, this isn't the way to show up on an official visit, if you ask me...
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

theaviator380

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 am

It is very surprising Britain doesn't have concept of 'One' like Air force One or Air India One. Why do they not have dedicated aircraft for top officials?

[Edited 2015-07-31 03:20:42]

flylondon

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 am

Quoting ariis (Reply 7):
Is it only me who thinks it's a shame that the head of a powerful European state comes out of a bland, untitled grayish (and rather old-style) aircraft? Can't they at least put some stickers to distinguish it from yet another cargo carrying nothing but tea, jam and biscuits?

Jokes aside, this isn't the way to show up on an official visit, if you ask me...
Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 8):
It is very surprising Britain doesn't have concept of 'One' like Air force One or Air India One. Why do they not have dedicated aircraft for top officials?

Politically unacceptable to spend taxpayers money on it and not get 'best value for money'. It's not like it's unaffordable, the UK government could easily find the cash from it's $1.1 trillion annual spend. It's the same reason you don't see big motorcades in the UK, people frown on the unnecessary 'ostentation'.

theaviator380

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 am

Quoting flylondon (Reply 9):

They spend taxpayers money on other things which can be easily avoided and they feel PM of one of the powerful countries should travel in holiday charter with no great amenities etc.?

flylondon

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 am

Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 10):
They spend taxpayers money on other things which can be easily avoided and they feel PM of one of the powerful countries should travel in holiday charter with no great amenities etc.?

I don't disagree with you, personally I'd buy one.... and I'd cut billions of wasteful Government spending. I'm explaining why it's not done and won't be any time soon. Google the Blair Force One saga last time it came up.

MrHMSH

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 am

Quoting ariis (Reply 7):
Can't they at least put some stickers to distinguish it from yet another cargo carrying nothing but tea, jam and biscuits?

For that to happen it would have to be carrying something more valuable than tea, jam and biscuits!

b747400erf

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:59 am

Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 10):

They spend taxpayers money on other things

Like cocaine and hookers   

b747400erf

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am

Quoting theaviator380 (Reply 8):

I do not know why the are not using an air force plane

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Petr Volek

No need to spend so much money on a dedicated fleet just use an expensive military toy like that

seahawk

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:08 am

Yep, used A330 would be clever. It could work as crew trainer for the tanker fleet as well.

theaviator380

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:09 am

Quoting flylondon (Reply 11):

Cheers mate..I will check that.

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 13):

LOL ..Lord lord !

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 14):

Could be an option.

n729pa

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:27 am

Like cocaine and hookers

I'm not sure if any members of the House of Lords are going too or not?

Maybe just the Chief Whip!

KarelXWB

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 am

Like cocaine and hookers

That's Berlusconi territory   
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

chiki

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 am

I agree that makes sense.

A dedicated aircraft for the PM is the right thing to do with terrorist threats, espionage (who know who    ) etc it makes sense for the PM of one of the most powerful country in the world to travel securely. A dedicated aircraft for the PM and royal family for me and i think the Voyager will make sense.

VC10er

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Lol!!! Thank God for the British! You made my morning B747400!

I understand British cynicism and tax issues, but as half of my ancestry is British, I would like to see an RAF plane for the PM, and sure, the Queen too (just the Queen however).

I would naturally love to see it come in as a VC10, and have Landor London design the livery!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm

I do not know why the are not using an air force plane

How many Business Class seats do the have? !!

I am sure UK could afford a second hand A332 which I believe is what France has.

TC957

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Can you imagine the Daily Mail headlines if the UK Govt buys so much as a Citation Mustang for ferrying ministers around ??
But seriously, how come the RAF A330's don't come with a VIP kit for use on long-haul official / royal trips like the old VC-10's had ?

ec99

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Quoting flylondon (Reply 9):
Politically unacceptable to spend taxpayers money on it and not get 'best value for money'. It's not like it's unaffordable, the UK government could easily find the cash from it's $1.1 trillion annual spend. It's the same reason you don't see big motorcades in the UK, people frown on the unnecessary 'ostentation'

Maybe it is the Yankee in my but does the Titan plane have anything more than a simple secure line for communication? The issue does not seem to be comfort as much as communication equipment. Modern Air Force One type planes are fitted out with complex systems that allow leaders to communicate and govern in the air. If a crisis occurred, could Cameron control the armed forces from this charter plane?

One certainly does not need a new A350. A second hand A330 with modern communication equipment would be more than sufficient.

b747400erf

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:32 am

Quoting chiki (Reply 19):
it makes sense for the PM of one of the most powerful country in the world to travel securely.

They do not travel long distance often and do not require a big entourage, like the USA.

Quoting EC99 (Reply 23):

Maybe it is the Yankee in my but does the Titan plane have anything more than a simple secure line for communication? The issue does not seem to be comfort as much as communication equipment. Modern Air Force One type planes are fitted out with complex systems that allow leaders to communicate and govern in the air. If a crisis occurred, could Cameron control the armed forces from this charter plane?

According to posters in the last Australia Aviation thread, the RAAF BBJ fleet does not even have secure communication capabilities. I guess it is not really needed. If some emergency comes up they would land at the nearest airport with a British embassy. This idea of a mobile command center is really an American idea created in their fetish fantasies of all out nuclear war.

[Edited 2015-07-31 22:34:09]

sierra3tango

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:48 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 24):
This idea of a mobile command center is really an American idea created in their fetish fantasies of all out nuclear war.

Not so sure about that. According to Churchill's memoirs when he met Roosevelt for the Casablanca Conference the
Brits bought a ship fitted out with a mass of secure comms equipment, the Americans didn't; so they ended using
the British comms to their discomfort. It never happened again.

Admittedly that was during a war, but who's to say one wouldn't break out at very short notice - WW1 did.

Bongodog1964

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 am

Quoting EC99 (Reply 23):

The UK operates politically in a very different way to the US. If the PM is out of communication he has lots of senior govt ministers able to take decisions. The concept of one man with his finger on the button 24/7 isn't a UK one.

philabos

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:41 am

I was,on cruise last December to Hawaii when President Obama also happened to be vacationing there.
The ship,docked at Hilo and one could see Air Force 1 from the upper deck at Hilo Airport.
Someone in the know explained to me that was not in fact AF1 but a backup stationed at Hilo with an an Air Force crew on board 24/7 with engines running , just in case it was needed. The real AF1 was at Kawaii. One would have to assume also covered with a crew and engines running, but do not know that for a fact.

flylku

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:19 am

An acquaintance of mine was Flight Engineer on Air Force One (when it was a 707 and then later on the 747). Prior to that duty he had done a few flights on a C-141 (I think) where they loaded what they called the "silver bullet" or "bullet" into whichever cargo lifter it was in order to transport high ranking personnel. The bullet basically was a VIP cabin that could be loaded into the cargo hold of various Air Force cargo aircraft. I believe he said they carried individuals as high ranking as Secretary of Defense. Doesn't the UK have the C-17?
...are we there yet?

Lofty

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:47 pm

If you are on a diplomatic or economic mission you do not land in that country in a Military A/C with Royal Air Force written down the sides especially if the trip is to one of the previous British Empire ones.

The British have a very different way of travelling than the Americans. For example if you look closely the PM normally travels in a Land Rover Discovery when overseas, this is not transported but tends to be the Embassy car.

If you look at the differences you have to ask the question how many US Presidents have been assassinated or how many times has Airforce One been used at its full potential V how many UK PMs and how often have things not happened because you can't contact the PM.

GavinSharp

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting philabos (Reply 27):
an Air Force crew on board 24/7 with engines running

I don't believe it would actually have "engines running". Huge waste of fuel, and engine start is faster than it would take to get the president to the waiting aircraft anyways.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos