KarelXWB
Topic Author

IB: Additional Planes, New Routes, Growth

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:21 am

IAG plans to convert 5 A330-200 and 8 A350-900 options into firm orders. These jets will be delivered to IB and will be used for growth. This will bring the IB A330 fleet to 21 (8x A333, 13x A332) and the A350-900 fleet to 16.

These new aircraft will be used for growth. New routes under study are Tokio, Johannesburg, Toronto, San Juan of Puerto Rico, Doha, Brasilia, Managua, Guadalajara and Asunción. The goal is to open new routes in 2016 and 2017.

Press release:
http://grupo.iberia.es/portal/site/W...64402ee410VgnVCM1000008de815acRCRD

[Edited 2015-07-31 01:26:18]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

seahawk

RE: IB: Additional Planes, New Routes, Growth

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:28 am

Great to see Iberia grow again.

Armodeen

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 am

Congratulations Iberia & Airbus! Iberia turning into a serious longhaul airline with an excellent product under the stewardship of IAG.

[Edited 2015-07-31 01:30:49]

FlyingHollander

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 am

I just got back flying BRU-MAD-JFK vv and was very impressed by IB, especially my flight on their refurbished A340 and T4 at MAD. I really hope they will be able to expand and bring their entire fleet to the same level of comfort.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

behramjee

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:37 am

surprising that destinations with more potential such as HKG, PVG and PEK are not on the list !

they should not look at JNB as competition is intense and yields not good as majority of their traffic shall be lower yielding leisure pax.

OA260

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:38 am

This is great news. I have seen the changes myself with IB/I2. Good service and product. Looking forward to the new routes and especially the A350s .   

mfc

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:44 am

Excellent news! The selection of possibilities is impressive, I hope most of them will eventually be opened.

Quoting behramjee (Reply 4):
surprising that destinations with more potential such as HKG, PVG and PEK are not on the list !

Not really, at least for the moment. I've studied Spain-Asia market in the recent months and it seems that demand and yields for Tokio and Seoul are much higher than for PVG or PEK. Yields to HKG are not bad but demand is still very low compared to the others.

they should not look at JNB as competition is intense and yields not good as majority of their traffic shall be lower yielding leisure pax.

I'm sure they are looking close to every aspect.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

MrHMSH

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:48 am

Excellent news for IB and Airbus! Good to see them growing again. It seems that the A350 is IAG's aircraft of choice for Long Haul. Of the routes that have been mentioned, I think Tokyo and Doha are the ones I'd be most excited to see, connecting with QR and establishing an Asian route. As a side note, am I the only one that thinks IB and BA should both fly non-stop to DOH?

TC957

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:54 am

Many of these routes have had IB services in the past, but I'm also surprised BJS & PVG isn't on their radar.
Is this also a sign the Spanish economy is picking up ?

eielef

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:57 am

Hope we see also an increase in frequencies of traditional latinamerican routes. EZE used to have 3 daily and now just 2.
What about A380 for IB, just for MEX and EZE, eventually GRU and BOG?

sierra3tango

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 7):
As a side note, am I the only one that thinks IB and BA should both fly non-stop to DOH?

Easily done, just turn the present flight around - LHR/DOH/BAH & vv

EddieDude

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
New routes under study are Tokio, Johannesburg, Toronto, San Juan of Puerto Rico, Doha, Brasilia, Managua, Guadalajara and Asunción

DOH makes a lot of sense. I dunno why they would consider JNB or SJU to be honest; seems to be those would not be profitable. As for GDL, I would have thought MTY would have more potential.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

SCQ83

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 am

I was not very far off when I said Managua, Brasilia and Asuncion in the other thread.

I am quite surprised about Guadalajara though. I would have expected Monterrey. I am not very familiar with Mexico, but I thought economically Monterrey was a more important city. Btw, the original (and much smaller) Guadalajara is not far from Madrid-Barajas airport.

surprising that destinations with more potential such as HKG, PVG and PEK are not on the list

I am not surprised about PEK or PVG. PEK is flown by Air China and PVG will be supposedly flown by China Eastern in the near future. Also China-Spain is mostly VFR traffic (large and quite well-off Chinese community in Spain, and Madrid has the largest number) and increasingly Chinese tourism to Spain. So I think Chinese carriers suit better that traffic. And also Air China (given that is a government company) can heavily discount tickets, and Iberia would need to fight against that. Not easy. And the Chinese economy is cooling down. IMO is smart not to try China.

HKG I agree given that it is a hub-to-hub market but I bet HKG would be more driven by South-Asian and local Hong Kong tourism to Spain, which fits better in BCN.

So you could also say (I would like to see numbers to back it up) that Madrid "fits" better with mainland China and Barcelona "fits" better with Hong Kong (Cathay has announced HKG-BCN in the future even if MAD is the Oneworld hub)

flyyul

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:19 am

Wonder if IB realizes that AC flies daily YYZ-MAD and BCN

avi8

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am

Can Managua sustain a flight to Madrid on its own?
avi8

Asiaflyer

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
IAG plans to convert 5 A330-200 and 8 A350-900 options into firm orders.

IAG is planning for ordering up to 33 New Airbus planes by additional order of 20 A320NEO as well.

From Reuters:
LONDON, July 31 (Reuters) - British Airways-owner IAG ICAG.L said it planned to place firm orders for up to 33 Airbus AIR.PA jets, converting existing options it had on a range of A320, A330 and A350 jets.

The deal is subject to final contract negotiations with the French planemaker and is expected to be announced next week, the company said.

IAG said that it was ordering 20 A320NEO jets and eight A350 jets to replace older aircraft. Both orders would be converted from options it had on orders placed in 2013.

For its long-haul growth plans at its Iberia brand, it also said it would firm up orders for up to five A330CEO jets from options on a deal signed last year.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:33 am

Quoting Asiaflyer (Reply 15):
IAG is planning for ordering up to 33 New Airbus planes by additional order of 20 A320NEO as well.

However, the A320neo's will not necessarily go to IB. The slide below says "IAG airlines replacement".

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLOjLR5WEAA8Sqf.png:large

[Edited 2015-07-31 04:34:17]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

Will the new 359s be replacements for some A346s? I had expected 3510s for that.

Asiaflyer

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 16):
However, the A320neo's will not necessarily go to IB. The slide below says "IAG airlines replacement".

Fully agree. We might get more info on that next week!!

Mini1000

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting flyyul (Reply 13):

They almost certainly don't. AC has managed to keep this flight a secret from IB for years.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting avi8 (Reply 14):

Iberia wanted to fly to both Nicaragua and Honduras, which are the only two remaining Spanish-speaking countries in Central America where they don't fly.

Tegucigalpa in Honduras cannot handle an A330/A340, so the only remaining option is San Pedro Sula. Air Europa said a while ago that they would start MAD-SAP, which has never materialized.

So I wouldn't be surprised that this becomes a triangular Madrid-Managua-San Pedro Sula, unless Managua is tagged to ane existing destination in the region.

[Edited 2015-07-31 04:51:45]

eielef

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:04 pm

IB could sign agreements with CM or AV and send people to MGA and TGU/SAP/RTB from both SJO, PTY or SAL.
I think a nonstop flight between MAD and MGA will be complete loss. And Honduras is a worse case.
IB should better return to bigger and better markets, as ASU or why not VVI. COR would make sense too.

jfk777

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 11):
DOH makes a lot of sense. I dunno why they would consider JNB or SJU to be honest; seems to be those would not be profitable. As for GDL, I would have thought MTY would have more potential.

Iberia stopped flying to a bunch of places a few years ago that are suddenly "NEW" destinations. San Juan has been flown in the past by IB as has Johannesburg. Tokyo was flown via Moscow for years at tremendous losses with 747-200.

A330-200 are great for the long thin route, is there a market in Managua or Asuncion ? IB might do better flying to more North American cities like MCO, DFW, SFO, CLT, PHL or Las Vegas. IB should fly to every city in the USA BA flies to, naturally BA is going to have more frequencies.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:16 pm

Quoting eielef (Reply 21):
IB could sign agreements with CM or AV and send people to MGA and TGU/SAP/RTB from both SJO, PTY or SAL. I think a nonstop flight between MAD and MGA will be complete loss. And Honduras is a worse case.
IB should better return to bigger and better markets, as ASU or why not VVI. COR would make sense too.

According to Wikipedia, Managua had 1.3 M PAX in 2014. Asuncion had 915.000 PAX. So hardly "bigger and better" markets.

Also, Nicaragua has a growing tourism and even retirement industry which Iberia could target (for instance Germans retiring in Nicaragua).

MrHMSH

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 22):
IB might do better flying to more North American cities like MCO, DFW, SFO, CLT, PHL or Las Vegas. IB should fly to every city in the USA BA flies to, naturally BA is going to have more frequencies.

Why?

behramjee

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Quoting mfc (Reply 6):
Not really, at least for the moment. I've studied Spain-Asia market in the recent months and it seems that demand and yields for Tokio and Seoul are much higher than for PVG or PEK. Yields to HKG are not bad but demand is still very low compared to the others.

Correct to an extent....see below pax stats for 2014 BCN vs MAD to SE Asia:

BCN vs MAD

HKG - 59K vs 35K
NRT - 130K vs 90K
HND - 26K vs 16K

PVG - 79K vs 85K
PEK - 51K vs 55K
ICN - 90K vs 101K

The attractiveness of HKG for IB is the fact that it can offer one stop access to all of Far East Asia via HKG with CX code share support beyond. Plus currently no one operates HKG-Spain nonstop so it can improve yields in that manner + P2P market size is quite decent for an initial 5 weekly nonstop service. I dont know though if their 288 seater A332 can fly from HKG nonstop with a full payload as I recall CZ had some issues flying CAN-LHR nonstop in the past when the A332 was deployed.

What IB can do is fly MAD-HKG 5 weekly and make CX fly BCN-HKG 5 weekly thus operate like a JV of sorts covering the Spain-Asia market segment from both vital cities.

MrHMSH

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 25):
I dont know though if their 288 seater A332 can fly from HKG nonstop with a full payload

I believe all of IB's A332s on order are the 242T version, so the payload/range may have improved enough that MAD-HKG can be flown. The longest A332 flight at present is DL's DTW-PEK, which comes in at 10,658km, a quick Google search of MAD-HKG gave 10,534km. But the HGW A332 may be able to make it a bit easier.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:01 pm

BCN vs MAD

HKG - 59K vs 35K
NRT - 130K vs 90K
HND - 26K vs 16K

PVG - 79K vs 85K
PEK - 51K vs 55K
ICN - 90K vs 101K

I think this explains my point quite well.

PEK and PVG are bigger markets from MAD than BCN and they are served (or to be served) by Air China and China Eastern (and CA also serves PEK-VIE-BCN). Probably not a place for Iberia; it is not a premium market and Chinese carriers can heavily discount fares.

ICN-MAD already served by Korean Air.

MAD-TYO to be served by Iberia.

HKG-Spain. Cathay is to serve the bigger local market (BCN). Now I believe the issue with MAD is that the local market is too small.

The attractiveness of HKG for IB is the fact that it can offer one stop access to all of Far East Asia via HKG with CX code share support beyond.

On paper that is nice, but there are not many destinations that cannot be served from DOH (or DXB and AUH) that are served from HKG. I guess the main attractive is mainland secondary destinations, but in that case (even with a detour) you have Air China and soon China Eastern, or even an European connection (i.e. MAD-HEL-XIY)

I think it is the same with Asia-LATAM, but those are small markets and already served with the ME3.

migair54

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:28 pm

A330-200 are great for the long thin route, is there a market in Managua or Asuncion ? IB might do better flying to more North American cities like MCO, DFW, SFO, CLT, PHL or Las Vegas. IB should fly to every city in the USA BA flies to, naturally BA is going to have more frequencies.

IB has AA doing already DFW, CLT and PHL so why are they going to start that flights?? Orlando from MAD is tiny market, the only ones I think it could work is SFO and I think we will see in the future, LAS is not a big market, only serve by BA from the European majors.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 7):
am I the only one that thinks IB and BA should both fly non-stop to DOH?

No, I also think that, and I think IB should have started a flight to DOH as soon as QR joined Oneworld, the same way CX is doing with QR and HKG, one flight each coordinating schedules. Now DOH is 2 daily QR and maybe it´s enough, EK is 2 daily (I think soon it will be 3) and EY is also starting soon.

I think a nonstop flight between MAD and MGA will be complete loss.

Sometimes small markets are very profitable because the lack of competence, and the problem of Central America is that most of the traffic should go via USA, however they need to get a visa for transit and it´s expensive and difficult to get, so getting a direct flight via Madrid could open a lot of markets for the country, so I won´t be surprise if IB get some govertment sponsorship for keeping the route alive if it not performing very well initially.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 26):
I believe all of IB's A332s on order are the 242T version, so the payload/range may have improved enough that MAD-HKG can be flown

I think if we see HKG it will be in A346 to offer a big business cabin and good cargo uplift possibilities. HKG is a very big market for business pax and cargo, and it´s the home of CX also.

I keep reading this about JNB and I´m not agree at all, all the major airlines fly to JNB and not only that but with the best planes they have, the plane stay in JNB the whole day doing nothing and they fly in the night, if the Yields were not so good i´m sure we would not see that waste of a frame, competence is big, that´s true but I think yields must be good also. Check what is in offer to JNB, BA 2 daily (A380 B747) AF (A380), LH (A380), EK 4 B77W, QR, EY, TK, VS, KL, VS, MS, Swiss, CX, SQ plus all the SAA daily flights to Europe.
IB has an excellent network to Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, plus some UK airport via MAD hub and no backtrack required to any of them.

LHRFlyer

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Is anyone else slightly curious as to why Iberia is giving its competitors up to two years' notice of its route network plans?

Is there an element of smoke and mirrors in announcing possible routes as part of negotiations on landing fees at airports? For example is listing Toronto a way of telling Montreal (previously rumoured to be under consideration) to bring down their fees?

Miami

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Great news for Iberia. About time IAG did something for them this good.

Good luck to them. They are a fantastic airline.

I believe this will look very nice.   

Quoting JerseyFlyer (Reply 17):

Could be. Their A332 will replace the A343. So I could see the A359 replace the A346.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

eal

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:18 pm

IB could sign agreements with CM or AV

Will never happen, AA, LATAM and IB are the golden triangle and Iberia will not sign an agreement with a non-Oneworld partner in Latin America.

IB might do better flying to more North American cities like MCO, DFW, SFO, CLT, PHL or Las Vegas

No they won't and they shouldn't if they want to make money. They can't even make LA work year round and AA already covers the majority of these routes save SFO and LAS, which their are plenty one stop options too anyway. Iberia should focus on Latin America with a few token routes to Asia.

Tokyo was flown via Moscow

Iberia started its Tokyo route when Japan was already in it's economic downturn (the bubble had pop'd) , in addition, the Moscow stop was not too appealing. Lastly, they didn't have one of the largest airlines in Asia to connect with at the other end.

Iberia, IMHO, should focus starting more long haul flying out of Barcelona. BCN is the real big Spanish destination and a few routes to Latin America (MEX and EZE) would be a relatively smart move. They started BCN-MIA and BCN-GRU in the past but then passed those on too partners (LATAM and AA). But who knows IB abandoned BCN and with that the foreign carriers took hold, like MXP and FCO.

superjeff

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 pm

Quoting eal (Reply 31):
IB might do better flying to more North American cities like MCO, DFW, SFO, CLT, PHL or Las Vegas

No they won't and they shouldn't if they want to make money. They can't even make LA work year round and AA already covers the majority of these routes save SFO and LAS, which their are plenty one stop options too anyway. Iberia should focus on Latin America with a few token routes to Asia.

Actually, there may be options: BCN-DFW could work. Yes, AA flies DFW-MAD, but it is in the JV, and AA also flies JFK-BCN, but IB flies JFK-MAD. So why not a BCN-DFW flight, which would offer connections through AA's largest hub. The BCN facility is a first class airport (at least the terminal where AA and IB operate), as is DFW. Look at how well Qantas is doing SYD-DFW-SYD. Personally, I've flown DFW-MAD several times now on AA, connecting onward on IB to BCN or VIE; there are other good connection possibilities there, and it is a vastly easier connection location than places like CDG or LHR (I'm not counting on which alliance hubs where).

migair54

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 32):
Actually, there may be options: BCN-DFW could work. Yes, AA flies DFW-MAD, but it is in the JV, and AA also flies JFK-BCN, but IB flies JFK-MAD. So why not a BCN-DFW flight, which would offer connections through AA's largest hub. The BCN facility is a first class airport (at least the terminal where AA and IB operate), as is DFW. Look at how well Qantas is doing SYD-DFW-SYD. Personally, I've flown DFW-MAD several times now on AA, connecting onward on IB to BCN or VIE; there are other good connection possibilities there, and it is a vastly easier connection location than places like CDG or LHR (I'm not counting on which alliance hubs where).

The problem of BCN for IB is that they have no longer possibility of connecting unless you want to do in Vueling, so now the logical choice for pax traveling with IB is MAD then connect to other places, some routes could work from BCN but maybe the same plane can make a better job in other routes from MAD.

Quoting eal (Reply 31):
Will never happen, AA, LATAM and IB are the golden triangle and Iberia will not sign an agreement with a non-Oneworld partner in Latin America.

What about TACA?? I think IB was codesharing with them for connecting pax in central America via San Jose and Guatemala.

AA623BDLSJU

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:17 pm

This is very exciting news to see IB coming back to SJU.
"Something special in the air."

Markam

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting eal (Reply 31):

No they won't and they shouldn't if they want to make money. They can't even make LA work year round and AA already covers the majority of these routes save SFO and LAS, which their are plenty one stop options too anyway. Iberia should focus on Latin America with a few token routes to Asia

UA seems to be doing well on IAD-MAD. Obviously IB lacks the connectivity UA has on the IAD end, but with MAD connections I think that this route could work well for them (government travel, sizeable Spanish expact community in the region, tourism, etc.).

thekorean

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting mfc (Reply 6):

IB has vast Latin America network though.

Maybe they can make it work with connecting flights?

VAM8789

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Any chance IB makes BOS year round again? I love connecting through MAD as opposed to other European hubs.

eal

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 33):
What about TACA??

TACA and Avianca merged, so pretty much TACA ceased to exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avianca_El_Salvador

juanchito

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 14):

Don't think so, maybe a triangular route with GUA or SAL

IB could sign agreements with CM or AV and send people to MGA and TGU/SAP/RTB from both SJO, PTY or SAL.
I think a nonstop flight between MAD and MGA will be complete loss. And Honduras is a worse case.

They already do that.
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

juanchito

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:51 pm

What about TACA?? I think IB was codesharing with them for connecting pax in central America via San Jose and Guatemala.

They also code share with Copa in PTY
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

realsim

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:12 pm

My wishful thinking:

* MAD-BSB-ASU-BSB-MAD 3w
* MAD-MTY-GDL-MAD 3w
* MAD-SJU-MAD 2w or via SDQ (MAD-SDQ-SJU-MAD)
* MAD-SAP-MGA-MAD 3w or increase GUA to 7w and do MAD-GUA-SAL 4w and MAD-GUA-MGA 3w
* MAD-JNB-MAD 5w

* MAD-DOH-MAD leave it to QR.
* MAD-YYZ-MAD I don't see it and AC already flies it.

With respect to Asia, a 5w to NRT would be great, but then a backtrack is required for every single connection. However, if IB flew MAD-PEK 5w, they could codeshare with their alliance partners JL PEK-NRT and CX PEK-HKG, and also with HU PEK-PVG/CAN/TPE/etc. This way, all the main far east destinations are covered with a 1 stop itinerary much more convenient than NRT or DOH (for example, MAD-DOH-NRT is 26% longer than a n/s flight, but via PEK it's only 5% longer).

clo1973

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 pm

IB started in July 3rd a triangular route MAD-MDE-CLO to Colombia (3x), does anyone know how is it doing ?

B-HOP

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:58 pm

BCN are being considered by CX with a tag from BCN to Latin America, of IB come to is it would be MAD, don't estimate the demand between Latin America and China though
Live life to max!!!

SJOtoLIR

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting B-HOP (Reply 43):
BCN are being considered by CX with a tag from BCN to Latin America

Are they planning to emulate SQ SIN-BCN-GRU ?

Quoting realsim (Reply 41):
With respect to Asia, a 5w to NRT would be great

I remember IB MAD-TYO before.
As far as I know, the coverage of IB heading to Asia has been historically quite limited.
I believe in new services to China later, based on the existence of CA PEK-MAD. However, their flights are not running daily yet.

I’d like to expand the commercial relationship between Iberia and both CM and AV.
IB serves daily flights only to Panama City and San Jose, related to the Central American landscape. These services are being complemented by the triangular IB MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD 4x weekly.
However, by means of code-share agreements they are capable to reach other regional cities on a daily basis:

Flights operated by Copa Airlines out of Panama City and bearing the IB code: SJO, SAL, GUA and MGA.
Flights operated by Avianca out of San Jose and bearing the IB code: PTY, SAL, GUA and MGA.

The commercial ties between CM-IB came from 2012.
I didn’t find evidence about when the AV-IB relationship started, but I think it was signed by the former TACA, some years backward.
Honduras is not forming part of this equation. So, I don’t think either SAP or TGU will be getting dedicated services on Iberia, in the mid-term.
In my view, Managua might be the next logical Central American station for the Spaniard airline with limited weekly services and coupled with any other regional station.
Nonetheless, I’m not implying that Nicaragua is desperately searching new non-stop services heading to Europe.
When MIA was a hub of Iberia back on the 90s, both SAP and MGA were included into its network.
Managua got the DC-10 service on IB, many years ago.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 23):
Nicaragua has a growing tourism and even retirement industry which Iberia could target

The demand of passengers is too thin.
Same with Honduras - Spain.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

qfvhoqa

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:29 am

IB should fly to every city in the USA BA flies to, naturally BA is going to have more frequencies.

That's a bit excessive. London O&D is far larger than Madrid O&D, so there will be far more markets that can support a BA flight. In any case, for secondary US markets MAD pax can route via LHR/DFW/PHL.

What IB can do is fly MAD-HKG 5 weekly and make CX fly BCN-HKG 5 weekly thus operate like a JV of sorts covering the Spain-Asia market segment from both vital cities.

There's no unique selling point for IB if they are banking on connections beyond HKG. They end up competing with all the other one stop options via DXB/PEK/CDG. From your numbers, NRT/HND is the largest market with no non-stop flight. So if IB flies MAD-NRT they have an advantage over the one-stop competition.

The problem of BCN for IB is that they have no longer possibility of connecting unless you want to do in Vueling

A route like DFW-BCN would be aimed at BCN O&D rather than beyond flights. As you say, DFW-MAD is better for connections. But IB doesn't belong on DFW-BCN, if it's a route with potential it should be operated by AA (AA can let IB do MAD-DFW if need be).

MAH4546

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting eal (Reply 31):
IB could sign agreements with CM or AV

Iberia already codeshare with Avianca and Copa, as well as Interjet.

OneWorld alliance does not practice protectionism - it freely allows its airlines to codeshare with other airlines.
a.

eal

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:02 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 46):
Iberia already codeshare with Avianca and Copa, as well as Interjet.

This is very surprising. Since when did Avianca and Iberia start an agreement? If I was LAN or AA I would be rather angry, or does the agreement only cover the former TACA routes?

[Edited 2015-07-31 21:06:11]

hz747300

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:51 am

Why no HKG? I would think they would like to use the connections ex-HKG on the CX network. And I should know, I'm an outstanding armchair airline CEO. I would expect one or the other (CX or IB) to launch this soon--but I would suspect that CX would like to launch a 5th freedom route to South America (my armchair CEO coming out again).

I suppose connecting to Doha gives them some of this on QR. But what about passengers that like to watch adult material on their smartphones whilst they are connecting on international flights?

IB should make full use of the OW alliance!
Keep on truckin'...

migair54

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 48):
I'm an outstanding armchair airline CEO.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 44):
So, I don’t think either SAP or TGU will be getting dedicated services on Iberia, in the mid-term.

I'm sure noT Regus I gala, I flew in and out many times and it's not possible for an A330, even seeing the B757 was scary sometimes.
I think SAP and MNG are small markets but together they might work adding good cargo to the mix 3-4 weekly.

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 45):
route like DFW-BCN would be aimed at BCN O&D rather than beyond flights. As you say, DFW-MAD is better for connections. But IB doesn't belong on DFW-BCN, if it's a route with potential it should be operated by SA)">AA (AA can let IB do MAD-DFW if need be).

That would be the logical move given the JV, B787 could be great for the route, but I'm not sure if the demand is so big for that, to maximiza connectivity on SA)">AA ORD is much better, and I'm not sure if DFW O&D to BCN is so big.

Quoting eal (Reply 47):
This is very surprising. Since when did Avianca and Iberia start an agreement? If I was LAN or SA)">AA I would be rather angry, or does the agreement only cover the former TACA routes?

It is from TACA era, why should SA)">AA or LATAM be angry??

Quoting B-HOP (Reply 43):
BCN are being considered by CX with a tag from BCN to Latin America, of IB come to is it would be MAD, don't estimate the demand between Latin America and China though

I don't think CX can get a 5th freedom to SA from BCN, when SQ got it, it was because they apply with JK however I don't see IB giving any route from BCN to CX, but I'd love to see the HKG flight in the network, if you see the expansion of Asian carriers in MAD its been huge in the last few years, even when Spanish economy was in the worst shape, so now with the improving numbers we will see even more opportunities.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos