Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RyanairGuru

RE: Australian Aviation Thread Part 126

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:41 pm

For the record I think that TT is better suited to the DPS market than VA, but my goodness does it look like they going about it in the wrong way! I'm really confused about this weird hybrid structure as well. Is it actually confirmed that it will be VA tech and TT in the cabin? VA crews overnight in DPS whereas JQ crew operate it is as a turnaround. Presumably if TT have their crew in the cabin they will operate it as a turnaround and that will save some cost, but beyond that I can't see the benefit. Jetstar and Air Asia will still have a lower CASM and, in the case of Jetstar at least, have a better brand than Tiger.

I'm not sure who these premium travellers are that VA is apparently going to upset, but maybe it is more of a WA thing? As a travel agent I find that the main considerations for people going to DPS in no particular order are (1) price, (2) price, (3) price, (4) price, oh and (5) price. Admittedly HNL is further, but people actually pay a premium for HA or even QF compared to JQ, but to DPS I have never convinced anyone to pay a cent more than necessary. Being CBR based I have shifted a fare bit of VA as they are almost always the cheapest option ex-CBR, but I think I am 99% certain to say that for passengers ex-SYD I have never sold VA. It is always JQ. VA simply don't fit in the market. DPS is a route that doesn't make sense for Virgin Australia in the same way it did for Pacific Blue. The market isn't one that is prepared to pay a premium, and what Virgin provides isn't worthy of a premium anyway. At least GA provide a proper full service experience for whatever premium demand does exist.

Quoting AirNiugini (Reply 147):
Why are they not ditching Bali within 90 days? Why wait until March? There will only be one quarter of the Fin year left to see any benefit...

Despite the atrocious weather the December/January school holidays is still peak season for Australia-Bali traffic.

VA have lost the plot in my eyes!

Worked Hard, Flew Right

Nouflyer

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:47 pm

If Bali is THAT price sensitive, I'm baffled that Virgin can even be bothered to use Tigerair for that market. Why not just get out?

The thing is, it seems to me that a large part of the exercise is about reducing VA's domestic fleet to reduce capacity. Hence the weird hybrid model.

qf789

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 140):
I'm scratching my head because I don't really understand what they;re doing.

If the problem with Bali is lower revenue, then the presumably lower costs of Tiger would seem to be the go. Yay!

But as I read it, it isn't quite Tiger. It is some hybrid, pitched somewhere between Virgin and Tiger. From the other thread:

"* All flights listed above are operated by Virgin Australia International providing a Tigerair Australia
service and are subject to regulatory approval "

Its become quite a dog's breakfast! Both PER & ADL could have A320 services which would leave MEL which they should give up. It would make things a lot easier. It seems to be a bandaid solution without really fixing the problem.

I was just thinking today what happens if they don't get regulatory approval? I was asking myself this as when QF wanted to operate a 744 relief flight they were denied and it was push to get them to operate a couple of charters from PER. I get the impression that it hasn't really been thought out but rushed. I would also be interested to know how much money both VA & JQ have lost with the ongoing volcano causing delays and cancellations.

Customers will not be choosing Tiger for the seat pitch or on-board service or the new in-flight Wifi options.

Having read some social media people aren't happy, I think to say that the issues that TT had with safety leading to their grounding still resonates with people.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 150):
I'm not sure who these premium travellers are that VA is apparently going to upset, but maybe it is more of a WA thing? As a travel agent I find that the main considerations for people going to DPS in no particular order are (1) price, (2) price, (3) price, (4) price, oh and (5) price. Admittedly HNL is further, but people actually pay a premium for HA or even QF compared to JQ, but to DPS I have never convinced anyone to pay a cent more than necessary. Being CBR based I have shifted a fare bit of VA as they are almost always the cheapest option ex-CBR, but I think I am 99% certain to say that for passengers ex-SYD I have never sold VA. It is always JQ. VA simply don't fit in the market. DPS is a route that doesn't make sense for Virgin Australia in the same way it did for Pacific Blue. The market isn't one that is prepared to pay a premium, and what Virgin provides isn't worthy of a premium anyway. At least GA provide a proper full service experience for whatever premium demand does exist.

Ryanair you have summed it up really well. Through my line of work I meet many people and those who have travelled to DPS only 1 person I know has travelled in Business and that's because he had a rather bad back issue, everyone else has said they go there because it cheap, cheap, cheap and cheap.
Forum Moderator

EK413
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Would appear as though QF51 BNE-SIN service has diverted to Batam Airport, Indonesia (BTH).

Only explanation perhaps SIN Airport weather OR Airport closure?!?

QF51
http://fr24.com/QFA51/7119433

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Thai77w

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:20 pm

It diverted due to weather. Operated by VH-QPF, crew timed out so QPC positioned from SIN to collect pax and fly back to SIN.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

AirNiugini

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 150):
As a travel agent I find that the main considerations for people going to DPS in no particular order are (1) price, (2) price, (3) price, (4) price, oh and (5) price.

- Cheap flights and a few nights at the Bounty Hotel for $399pp Ex-BNE... Oh I miss selling leisure travel.    LOL

Quoting qf789 (Reply 152):
Its become quite a dog's breakfast! Both PER & ADL could have A320 services which would leave MEL which they should give up. It would make things a lot easier. It seems to be a bandaid solution without really fixing the problem.

Yes! TT might reduce the international losses, but I honestly do not think that they will profit on DPS. Passengers know what TT is. It is that lipstick on a pig scenario.   

I do not understand why they are not reducing capacity on the DPS routes...

[Edited 2015-08-09 15:37:59]

[Edited 2015-08-09 15:38:32]
Its time to fly!

eta unknown

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:50 pm

I too am confused by this VA/TT scenario, especially with JB again claiming VA are on track to profitability (queue the smug and pugnacious press conference smile).

So let's see what this experiment (I call it that because I can't see this working) will achieve:
1. 12 extra economy seats on 3 aircraft
2. Cheaper cabin crew salaries
3. Potentially no cabin crew hotel costs in DPS (just how costly was this item anyway?)
4. Pax pay for seat assignment (few will pay), baggage (do PER pax have any?) and food.
5. Will the TT fares be the current VA levels or will they be reduced? Even if VA fares are charged, will the items in (2,3,4 above) produce that much cost savings or ancillary revenue? However, if the fares are reduced, then this experiment is complete lunacy.

Agree with many posters above- if ADL/PER was operated by TT 320 then maybe this could work. MEL would need to be cancelled or operated by VA 332 on FRI/SAT/SUN only, but even those birds have higher CASM than JQ 788, GA/Air Asia 333.

allrite

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 am

Seems like VA could announce they were flying an A380 to DPS and it would mean nothing due to the volcano induced cancellations lately.  
Quoting thai77w (Reply 154):
It diverted due to weather.

I assume it was heavy storms over SIN. That must have caused havoc with many schedules!
I like artificial banana essence!

IndianicWorld

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:25 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 152):

TT really do not have enough A320's to do that unless they cancel flights/frequencies and the VA aircraft are redeployed on those routes. That may not serve the intended purpose either.

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 156):
Agree with many posters above- if ADL/PER was operated by TT 320 then maybe this could work. MEL would need to be cancelled or operated by VA 332 on FRI/SAT/SUN only, but even those birds have higher CASM than JQ 788, GA/Air Asia 333.

The VA A330's have a few too many J class seats in them to try that, even though the solution is likely the best available in terms of operational efficiency.

At the end of the day though, DPS is more of a TT style destination but TT just don't have the right aircraft. VA has made this move to try and find a way to redeploy aircraft onto sectors it can see a better for and try try and limit costs, whilst also making a confusing airline even more confusing  

VA can not get a premium price for its flights and it is either this move or cut the destination completely. The 737 is not ideal for anything but PER/ADL-DPS, with MEL/SYD/BNE beyond the optimal operating specs of the aircraft type.

With XT already flying into MEL, SYD joining their network later this year and BNE likely to also gain service at some point, VA's options will continue to decrease over time.It will only get harder for VA to maintain SYD and BNE at that point. It will plug away at them both until a time that they also need a solution.

Sydscott

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 158):
With XT already flying into MEL, SYD joining their network later this year and BNE likely to also gain service at some point, VA's options will continue to decrease over time.It will only get harder for VA to maintain SYD and BNE at that point. It will plug away at them both until a time that they also need a solution.

The good things is that they've got the solution on order. The 737 Max series will be able to do DPS from MEL, SYD and BNE so what we might see is TT transition to the more capable Boeing before mainline VA does.

TN486

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:46 am

I was starting to compare current VA/TT "stategies" with another aussie airline that disappeared from our skies (read AN), however as pointed out, once they receive the right ac to do the right tasks, then maybe (just maybe) the garden may see some roses start to bloom.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 148):
AJ has definitely come out on top the better man who's dug QF out of a big hole!

remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

RyanairGuru

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:31 pm

If aircraft availability at TT was the biggest concern they could have transferred the VARA A320s to TT with mainline taking over more charter work out West. That they didn't suggests that they wanted 737s at TT (presumably MEL was deemed essential?) but goodness only knows why the want to saddle TT with Virgin's cost base. As is pointed out regularly, the cost gap between Virgin and Qantas diminishes by the day.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf789

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting thai77w (Reply 154):
It diverted due to weather. Operated by VH-QPF, crew timed out so QPC positioned from SIN to collect pax and fly back to SIN.

Then QPF operated a delayed QF36 resulting in them having to divert to DRW, believed to be crew hours

http://www.theqantassource.com/qanta...om-batam-operates-qf36-via-darwin/
Forum Moderator

QF744ER

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:05 pm

With the first 73H refurb underway at BNE (-VXR) does anyone know what it entails?

Hopefully it includes new pivot style bins as fitted to either VXC or VXD with the fixed dividers between J and Y class for starters?

CXfirst

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Virgin Australia's first refitted A330 with the new business class should be entering service on the 17th of August operating VA559 SYD-PER

The current schedule shows the aircraft entering service on these dates:

XFH - 17/08
XFG - 25/08
XFE - 01/09
XFD - 19/10
XFC - 26/10
XFJ - 02/11

-CXfirst

RyanairGuru

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:44 pm

From what Ditzyboy has said previously, the pivot style bins on VXC will not be retrofitted across the rest of the fleet. I agree that VXC looks fantastic in the cabin, but it was unpopular with employees (especially cleaners) as they hang so low when open. As it is, Boeing now has a SkyInterior retrofit available which they didn't when HeathTecha launched the knock-off imitation product on VXC. Hopefully this new product will make it onto the fleet.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

csturdiv

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm

When will the new AA SYD-LAX service be approved? I just did a mock booking on AA for a trip back to the US over Christmas as there was a note on their site that the SYD-LAX leg of my booking is still pending government approval.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 pm

I must admit TigerAir using the 737-800, even if for a short term really does ask some questions about Virgin and their strategy to move upmarket.

The question does become how many more unprofitable Virgin leisure routes are there and what impact are they having on Virgins bottom line?

For example, for every two flights Jetstar fly into the Sunshine Coast airport, Virgin fly one! This suggests Virgin are unable to compete on an equal level. If so, Virgin may be flying aircraft in and out of this airport at an uneconomic level.

The same goes for Byron Bay and Newcastle airports.

Cairns airport is a little more interesting in that not only does Jetstar fly twice as many Virgin flights, QANTAS flies more flights (approximately 10%) than Jetstar.

I was working in Cairns approximately 8 years ago and back than Virgin was the dominant carrier. How things have changed!

Interestingly, for Townsville airport QANTAS are flying three flights for every Virgin flight and Jetstar and Virgin are almost equal.

Mackay Airport is different again! Virgin and QANTAS are almost equal where Jetstar is about 50% the size of the both of them. What happens if Jetstar do to Mackay what they have done at Townsville?

If we look at Sydney airport, Virgin’s flight schedule represents approximately 75% of QANTAS’s flight schedule and 140% of Jetstar’s flight schedule. If we add in Tigerair, the QANTAS group are flying two aircraft in and out of Sydney for every single Virgin group of airlines flight!

Melbourne is a different story again!

Where Virgin has a slight lead over Jetstar, QANTAS has a considerable lead over Virgin! In summary for every ten QANTAS group flights there are approximately six Virgin flights.

If we now head to Brisbane, Virgin’s home airport, we again have some interesting statistics.

For every domestic Virgin flight the QANTAS group has two flights, with QANTAS representing 80% (and Jetstar 20%) of the flying!

If we look at Perth Airport, Virgin is the dominant carrier. This could be where they have gained all of their growth in the last couple of years!

These numbers are compelling for a number of reasons.

The first question we have to ask ourselves is has Virgin bracketed themselves in-between QANTAS and Jetstar meaning they can’t effectively compete? The second is, if so will this ultimately result in a situation where Virgin will start to loose market share?

The move to transfer 737-800 flying from Virgin to TigerAir really could be more telling. If there are other routes in the Virgin network where TigerAir would be the more suitable carrier, Virgin will have a fair amount of re-structuring to do. If this is the case, it could result in Virgin Australia becoming a smaller airline. I am not sure how this would affect their operational costs?

I commented in a previous Plane Talking article that QANTAS could start using their new 2-class 717′s to start flying around the edges of Virgin’s traditional market strongholds. If a combined QANTAS group strategy included more Jetstar and QANTAS flights on routes where it was once Virgin and Jetstar only competing with each other Virgins traditional heartland of routes could become no longer economic.

In undertaking the (small amount) of research to write this piece I was surprised to learn that Jetstar was now flying more passengers in to airports like Cairns and Byron Bay. Cairns, because it was once the dominant carrier and Byron Bay, because the local population has a long history of being vocal about the (perceived) poor service of Jetstar and Virgin being their favourite airline. Passengers are voting with their wallets and choosing to fly Jetstar.

I suppose we will have to wait for the QANTAS AGM to see how Jetstar has performed over the last year. I suspect the results will be telling.

qf789

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:07 am

QF plans international capacity boost over summer to Asia & New Zealand

SYD-CGK will see a 5th weekly service up from the current 4 from 7th December 2015 to 10 January 2016

PER-SIN will go from 5 weekly to daily between 30th November 2015 and 21 February 2016

BNE will see direct services to WLG & CHC between December & January ( no actual dates quoted)

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...t-to-asia-new-zealand-over-summer/
Forum Moderator

AirNiugini

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:35 am

Quoting travelhound (Reply 167):
Cairns airport is a little more interesting in that not only does Jetstar fly twice as many Virgin flights, QANTAS flies more flights (approximately 10%) than Jetstar.
I was working in Cairns approximately 8 years ago and back than Virgin was the dominant carrier. How things have changed!
Interestingly, for Townsville airport QANTAS are flying three flights for every Virgin flight and Jetstar and Virgin are almost equal.
Mackay Airport is different again! Virgin and QANTAS are almost equal where Jetstar is about 50% the size of the both of them. What happens if Jetstar do to Mackay what they have done at Townsville?

Regarding North QLD, are you including QFlink in the Qantas count? If so, it doesn't surprise me that QF have the lead given how large Qantaslink is.

For every domestic Virgin flight the QANTAS group has two flights, with QANTAS representing 80% (and Jetstar 20%) of the flying!

I see the point you are trying to make, but it was only 12-18 months ago that Qantas was 100% committed in maintaining a 65% market share. So it is worth noting that for every seat that VA/TT put into the market, QF/JQ put two more. I don't see these stats as a VA cost issue, it is more a consequence of the 'turf war' 'with the QFgroup.

Its time to fly!

vhebb

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:20 am

Only a matter of time before QF PER-SIN-PER goes daily all year round.

tullamarine

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 165):
From what Ditzyboy has said previously, the pivot style bins on VXC will not be retrofitted across the rest of the fleet. I agree that VXC looks fantastic in the cabin, but it was unpopular with employees (especially cleaners) as they hang so low when open. As it is, Boeing now has a SkyInterior retrofit available which they didn't when HeathTecha launched the knock-off imitation product on VXC. Hopefully this new product will make it onto the fleet.

Whether QF bothers upgrading to a BSI or similar on its older 738s will largely depend on what it decides to do with this fleet and whether it is planning to commence rolling it over in the short to medium term. Currently just over 1/3 of its Australian 738 fleet has BSI (23 out of 67) and all of the NZ fleet has BSI. It has no pending orders for more 738s. Given the oldest 738s are now 15 years old, it is possible that they will not bother with the expensive refit of a BSI (or similar) but instead announce a plan and timeline for a transition to 737MAX or A320neos .

At VA, the situation is different and they definitely won't bother with a refit. They already have nearly half of their 738 fleet with BSI (34 out of 76). This is because VA has rolled over a large portion of their initial leased 738 fleet. With the replacements scheduled for the current financial year, they will be over 50% BSI and, with numerous 737MAX already scheduled for delivery within 3 years, it is likely that they will be all BSI within 5 years without any refits.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Unclekoru

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 168):
BNE will see direct services to WLG & CHC between December & January ( no actual dates quoted)

3 Dec to 22 Feb.

QF167 BNE-WLG 1805/0035 Fri, Sat, Sun
QF168 WLG-BNE 0610/0700 Mon, Sat, Sun

? Dec to ? Feb

QF135 CHC-BNE 1555/1645 Mon, Thu, Sat, Sun
QF134 BNE-CHC 0805/1440 Mon, Thu, Sat, Sun
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

QF744ER

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:08 am

Surprisingly, although it becomes daily still no mention of QF71/72 being upgraded to A330's despite reasonable loadings.

[Edited 2015-08-11 00:11:54]

Auchmithie

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:27 am

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 171):
Currently just over 1/3 of its Australian 738 fleet has BSI (23 out of 67) and all of the NZ fleet has BSI.

The NZ fleet does not have BSI.

Flyingsottsman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 156):
I too am confused by this VA/TT scenario, especially with JB again claiming VA are on track to profitability (queue the smug and pugnacious press conference smile).

VA now, to me is the most confusing and convoluted airline flying, Air New Zealand and Etihad own part of them and some one else I think, in turn VA own Tiger, has SkyWest aircraft flying under their banner, there suppose to be our 2nd international airline, well they have dropped JNB, HKT, not sure if they are still flying to Abu Durbi, and why they would have a service to there is an odd choice, only run to LAX from SYD and BNE, I am confused with their opps across the Tasman are they in competition with NZ or are they in partnership with them, are they an LCC or are they a legacy carrier, I think JB plans are being made of the run.

So who owns VA and is Tiger/VA a one airline with 2 brands flying?

I just cant work out how VA works or is supposed to work if some one can explain it to me ?

Singapore 777

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:48 am

Quoting QF744ER (Reply 173):

Surprisingly, although it becomes daily still no mention of QF71/72 being upgraded to A330's despite reasonable loadings.

It's quite likely that at least on some days, the QF71/72 will be run by the A332s that they mentioned a couple of weeks back, would be operating internationally (they may not have explicitly said that but it can be inferred).

pugsley

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting Singapore 777 (Reply 176):

It's quite likely that at least on some days, the QF71/72 will be run by the A332s that they mentioned a couple of weeks back, would be operating internationally (they may not have explicitly said that but it can be inferred).

Don't forget the international configured A332's operate all over the international network, I'd say the A332's will most likely continue to be used on existing routes, such as CGK, BKK, HNL. The reduction in J class seats to 27 on these sectors - such as SYD - HNL would be a must for tech crew rest. The current A332's in international configuration have a tech crew rest seat just behind the cockpit which is replaced by a galley on the new domestic configuration with the business suites.

Quoting allrite (Reply 157):

I assume it was heavy storms over SIN. That must have caused havoc with many schedules!

There was a scheduled airspace closure due in SIN due to their 50th Birthday celebrations and an air show/display.
The QF51 was due into SIN well before this closure, but was put into a holding pattern for landing before being informed the space was closed.
So while weather may have been an impact / the main reason was the SIN airspace closure.
A319/320/321, A332/3, A343, A359, A388, AT7, BAe146, B717, B733/4/5/G/H/9, B743/4/4ER, B762/3, B772/3, B788/9, Dash8, ERJ135, ERJ170/175

TruemanQLD

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:17 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 168):

Great news, hopefully this will signal the return of QF permanently on these routes!

zkokq

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:21 am

Is there enough slack in the fleet with the refits and painting going on? Maybe by the end of year we might see an extra frame allowing it to go daily A332.

allrite

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:27 am

Quoting pugsley (Reply 177):
There was a scheduled airspace closure due in SIN due to their 50th Birthday celebrations and an air show/display.
The QF51 was due into SIN well before this closure, but was put into a holding pattern for landing before being informed the space was closed.
So while weather may have been an impact / the main reason was the SIN airspace closure.

Bet Qantas wasn't too happy. The SQ A380 flyover had its own thread, but QF have done it more than once with an A380 over Sydney.   Incidentally, the SQ A380 (9K-SVI) has been operating the SYD-SIN route for at least the last couple of days. I've seen it out the window.

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 180):

9K-SVI is operating SYD as it was the first (and currently only?) aircraft fitted with Premium Economy and SYD is the launch destination.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

b747400erf

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 am

QFA6010 heading for Manila, is this a charter?

Airvan00

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 pm

^^^ most likely maintainence, VHOGE came back from maintainence as QF 6009 yesterday.They usually have one A380 in Manila undergoing maintainence.

BAeRJ100

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting Airvan00 (Reply 183):

^^^ most likely maintainence, VHOGE came back from maintainence as QF 6009 yesterday.

Am I in some wonderful alternate reality where the 767s are still flying?! 
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

qf002

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 pm

VHOGE came back from maintainence as QF 6009 yesterday

Today, actually, at around 11am.

qf789

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting BAeRJ100 (Reply 184):
Am I in some wonderful alternate reality where the 767s are still flying?

Was thinking the same, though was referring to VH-OQE

Quoting QF744ER (Reply 173):

Its too early to expecting A330's back on the route, after all its only been operating for 6 weeks. It is encouraging to see it to go daily for the summer holiday period. Once it is operated daily year round then lets see if it would be upgraded to an A330 or a maybe even a 2nd daily 738 but until that time it will remain a 738.

On QF's press release it is operated by a 737. The only A330 service mentioned is the additional flight to CGK & QF119/120 BNE-AKL on the 19th of December.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...tional-services-over-the-holidays/

Last Saturday EK420 operated by their newest A380 A6-EOM was zapped on the nose by lightning as it was on final approach into PER.

[Edited 2015-08-11 05:57:05]
Forum Moderator

b747400erf

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:13 pm

^^^ most likely maintainence, VHOGE came back from maintainence as QF 6009 yesterday.They usually have one A380 in Manila undergoing maintainence.

Thank you that explains the light load, she was cruising at FL400

DeltaB717

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:47 am

Thanks to Max C on the SYD forum... JQ's first DH8C

http://fnqskies.blogspot.com.au/2015...rs-first-new-zealand-regional.html

TruemanQLD

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 188):
Thanks to Max C on the SYD forum... JQ's first DH8C

http://fnqskies.blogspot.com.au/2015...rs-first-new-zealand-regional.html

Looks really good! I haven't been following, have they announced the routes it will be operating in NZ? Also with 4 months to go, whats it going to do until then?

DeltaB717

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 189):

Haven't seen anything about routes but I might've missed it as well.

Good question re what it's doing between now & December... especially as it's just flown in the wrong direction!?

VA82

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:47 am

I haven't been following, have they announced the routes it will be operating in NZ? Also with 4 months to go, whats it going to do until then?

Neither, but it seems like nothings been announced, this is from an article in the New Zealand Herald today; "Jetstar is scoping four potential destinations to fly to and says competition with Air New Zealand will lead to lower fares."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11496011

allrite

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:20 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 190):
Good question re what it's doing between now & December... especially as it's just flown in the wrong direction!?

As per the Jetstar news release the Q300s are being operated by Eastern Australian Airlines on behalf of Jetstar, so presumably they can continue to operate them for QantasLink in the meantime.

PoleHillSid

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:04 am

QQ - Does anyone know which registration QantasLink Dash 8 is called "Mackay"?

Edit - Found it. QOC.

[Edited 2015-08-12 04:21:47]

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 am

Quoting VA82 (Reply 191):
I haven't been following, have they announced the routes it will be operating in NZ? Also with 4 months to go, whats it going to do until then?

Neither, but it seems like nothings been announced

Flights go on sale next month with destinations announced soon
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

zkojq

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

For example, for every two flights Jetstar fly into the Sunshine Coast airport, Virgin fly one! This suggests Virgin are unable to compete on an equal level. If so, Virgin may be flying aircraft in and out of this airport at an uneconomic level.

Or maybe they are just being disciplined with capacity?

I actually feel a bit sorry for VA as far as this forum is concerned; whatever they do, they never seem to be able to catch a breal. If their frequency is low compared to the QF Group, we accuse them of not being able to compete. If their frequency is similar to the QF group then us armchair CEOs say that they need to reduce capacity in order to raise yields.  
Quoting AirNiugini (Reply 169):
I see the point you are trying to make, but it was only 12-18 months ago that Qantas was 100% committed in maintaining a 65% market share. So it is worth noting that for every seat that VA/TT put into the market, QF/JQ put two more. I don't see these stats as a VA cost issue, it is more a consequence of the 'turf war' 'with
the QFgroup.

all of the NZ fleet has BSI.

What?

It has no pending orders for more 738s. Given the oldest 738s are now 15 years old, it is possible that they will not bother with the expensive refit of a BSI (or similar) but instead announce a plan and timeline for a transition to 737MAX or A320neos .

Is there really a need to? As I see it, there isn't anything wrong with the 737-8s (though it would be nicer if the older ones had AVOD). Surely the 744 replacement (with 787-9s?) is a higher priority for CAPEX, since the difference in efficiency between current QF aircraft and their competition is higher?

With the replacements scheduled for the current financial year, they will be over 50% BSI and, with numerous 737MAX already scheduled for delivery within 3 years, it is likely that they will be all BSI within 5 years without any refits.

This is good. Anyone know how much longer the -700s are going to be around for?
First to fly the 787-9

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 195):
all of the NZ fleet has BSI.

What?

Boeing Sky Interior
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Ditzyboy

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Currently just over 1/3 of its Australian 738 fleet has BSI (23 out of 67) and all of the NZ fleet has BSI.

I believe that none of the Jetconnect fleet is BSI. The first aircraft with BSI was VH-VZT and Jetconnect already had all eight aircraft in their fleet. VZR and VZS were delivered to Qantas with the older interior after the eighth Jetconnect aircraft and prior to the arrival of VZT.

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 165):
As it is, Boeing now has a SkyInterior retrofit available which they didn't when HeathTecha launched the knock-off imitation product on VXC. Hopefully this new product will make it onto the fleet.

That would assist with baggage stowage for the extra six pax moving forward.

zkojq

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 196):
Boeing Sky Interior

Yeah, I was actually meaning to challenge the assertion that JC aircraft have Boeing Sky Interiors. They sadly don't. Should have made myself more clear.

Quoting Ditzyboy (Reply 197):
I believe that none of the Jetconnect fleet is BSI.
Quoting Ditzyboy (Reply 197):
The first aircraft with BSI was VH-VZT and Jetconnect already had all eight aircraft in their fleet. VZR and VZS were delivered to Qantas with the older interior after the eighth Jetconnect aircraft and prior to the arrival of VZT.

First to fly the 787-9

qf789

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Interesting article regarding QF as the 3rd biggest earner of ancillary airline revenue in the world. The top 2 are Spirit and Jet2.com

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-game/story-e6frfq80-1227480707563

[Edited 2015-08-12 08:06:38]
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos