BR to fly to TPE
PR set to return?
PK a long shot
SQ via Asia a long shot

Should be a fun summer at ORD!

MAH4546

RE: ORD: Summer Of '16 To Be Great?

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 am

Some great things will happen and it'll always be a great hub, but Chiago is their century's Detroit easily. Won't last.
a.

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):

Some great things will happen and it'll always be a great hub, but Chiago is their century's Detroit easily. Won't last.

Haha. We'll see about that.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

LAXdude1023

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:20 am

So much of the OP is either made up or highly exaggerated.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

jetblue1965

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:17 am

Being the largest metro between NY and LA, I see even more potential for ORD (and MDW to a lesser degree). The fact that 3 airlines can run pretty large hubs in Chicagoland concurrently is a testament to its traffic draw

After LA NY SF, I expect every East Asian long haul carrier to land at ORD if range permits.

What ORD needs is more connectivity to South America eventually (yes I know PDEW is low today)

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):

In 2050 we'll be talking about why Chicago has only BA and LH (among foreign carriers), and we'll talk about it's former LOT service in much the same way we talk about how JAT used to fly to CLE today.

LOL! Wanna make a bet? Obviously Chicago will continue to have robust service from many airlines, but the mere suggestion Emirates will not be flying to Chicago in 2050 made me lose it. They'll probably be flying to MKE, STL and CLE by then.

Just another topic matter to inject political blather into. I'd also love to hear "grossly unfriendly to... progress" defined.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jfk777

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Quoting nomorerjs (Thread starter):
AA is upguaging ORD-FCO
AA to CDG is rumored to be upguaged
AA to China is rumored to go all 788
BA wants to bring in the whale
EK wants to bring in the whale
UA expected to announce a new int'l route
BR to fly to TPE
PR set to return?
PK a long shot
SQ via Asia a long shot

Should be a fun summer at ORD!

AA with 788 to Asia probably happening, A380 not happening without Terminal 5 gate modification.

ordpark

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Is Nostradames (SP) on this website too? MAH4546 references the growth of East and West coast hubs, which, if you believe certain conspiracy groups won't be here much longer....global warming flooding the coasts...devastating earthquakes making CA nothing more than a fond memory...

ORD is doing fine, thank you and will only get stronger!

jetblue1965

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm sitting at ORD 3-H concourse right now ....the terminal can use a bit of face lift and it's a quiet Saturday morning, but I can definitely attest that ORD or the city of Chicago is going nowhere. It's a fallacy to compare it to other struggling/dying rust belt cities - they share nearly nothing in common. (I'll refrain from discussing the racial politics aspect)

Being Business friendly / unfriendly or cost-of-living are not the sole reasons why places succeed. Cali has high tax rates and strict regulations on many fronts but that doesn't prevent people to continue flocking there.

incitatus

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
In 2050 we'll be talking about why Chicago has only BA and LH (among foreign carriers), and we'll talk about it's former LOT service in much the same way we talk about how JAT used to fly to CLE today.

I won't go quite that far. More probable BA and LH won't be around.

But I get it. The Chicago economy is stuck. The economic prospects of Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are much brighter. Chicago is going to go from third place to being top 10.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

uberflieger

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:51 pm

AA is upguaging ORD-FCO

Nice seeing some international up-gauging by American at ORD. With Aer Lingus becoming part of the TATL joint business, I see DUB eventually going 772 as well.
Any idea of the progress of the retro-fit?

Anybody willing to speculate? How about seasonal Berlin service?

[Edited 2015-08-01 08:56:37]

IADLHR

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 27):

Anybody willing to speculate? How about seasonal Berlin service?

Absolutely. However, I think it would be better served from IAD. There is a some diplomatic and other travel to and from IAD-Berlin. The problem is that, as it has always been, the right sized aircraft. I still am not sure that there is right sized aircraft available now. Considering there is a EWR-TXL flight already anything else from anywhere could be too much capacity.

[Edited 2015-08-01 09:08:13]

finnishway

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm

When ORD will be ready for A380 service?

RemoFlyer

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting finnishway (Reply 32):
When ORD will be ready for A380 service?

Supposedly by mid 2016 the two gates at each end of Terminal 5 are - one for BA one for EK - whether QR or LH or KE want to bring a 380 is anyones guess

RemoFlyer

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Quoting ORDfan (Reply 31):
Summer 2015 is shaping up to be an impressive one for ORD. I'm sure 2016 will be even better

ORDs problem is where to put these birds especially between 12 and 6 in T5

rta

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Yes Chicago is lagging but comparing it to the likes of Detroit is absurd. It's still one of the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and it is growing, although at a much slower rate than other cities which were never as large or grandiose. Anyway, Chicago is still a huge hub for the Midwest and in generally located in a great location, so I don't see O'Hare or it's traffic going anywhere. That being said, Illinois needs to really sort themselves out because there are currently some major issues going on. I recently read somewhere that the Amtrak budget was being cut nearly in half. So much for that high speed rail line between Chicago and St. Louis.

On the topic of O'Hare, many people say its a great hub. I've never connected through there, but the thought of connecting domestic to international or international domestic at O'Hare is extremely revolting. Even a tight connection at AA's Terminal 3 sends a shiver down my spine. Hopefully its easier than it looks.

_AA_777_MAN

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
People need to think long range. I understand it offends people, but even just 70 years ago, St. Louis, Cleveland and Detroit were far more important and relevant than the likes of LA, Dallas and Houston. That is simply not the case today, and when we look at what cities are collapsing and dying, Chicago tops the list. End of story.

Simply clueless on your logic here. Chicago is experiencing a hotel, finance, apartment, construction, and tourism boom not seen since pre-9/11. Capital rich foreign and domestic investors, including Wanda group, continue to pour money into long-term projects in Chicago (existing skyscrapers are experiencing NATIONAL record-setting values). So you're telling me that you have more insight into macroeconomic trends than global billionaires who are LITERALLY putting their money where there mouth is?? Please. Move along.

Yea I don't understand either, it seems like he's never even been to Chicago. I work downtown and it seems like there is a crane on every corner putting up a new building or a skyscraper. Not to mention all the other construction and city projects going on. Went for a walk during a regular evening and actually counted 14 different languages I heard people speaking.
Also AF still flies here... Seasonally I know but its important enough for them that they have DL do it in the off season so there is no gap in service.
I don't understand why people doubt ORD so much it has done nothing but grown in the past few years with airline service, passengers carried and number of flights.
ORD is the number one airport in the World in amount of flights handheld. More and more airlines are looking to add service.

jcwr56

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting finnishway (Reply 32):
Quoting RemoFlyer (Reply 34):
Quoting RemoFlyer (Reply 35):

Let me clarify....It's one gate (M11) projected completion date late 3rd quarter 2016 and based on local coordination rules cannot impact historical flights.

There are plans to have up to 4 gates depending on funding approval by the airlines. (Expansion is higher on the list than additional 380 gates)

Freshside3

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Which Int'l route are we talking about, here?

JAmie2k9

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 27):
Nice seeing some international up-gauging by American at ORD. With Aer Lingus becoming part of the TATL joint business, I see DUB eventually going 772 as well.

I have a feeling we will see EI go from 11 to 14 weekly next summer before AA consider deploying a B772, AA should work on OTP on ORD-DUB!!

AA333PHL

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:41 am

It would be a great summer if AA adds ORD to AMS, CPH, DEL, FRA, GLA, HKG, MXP, MUC, SVO, VCE, TLV, and ZRH. In addition, the new Terminal 6 needs to be built next to Terminal 5 so that AA can have more gate space to expand at ORD.

airplanedaj

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:29 am

Quoting AA333PHL (Reply 45):
It would be a great summer if AA adds ORD to AMS, CPH, DEL, FRA, GLA, HKG, MXP, MUC, SVO, VCE, TLV, and ZRH. In addition, the new Terminal 6 needs to be built next to Terminal 5 so that AA can have more gate space to expand at ORD

Woah there. Take it easy. I think a few of these routes may be on the table by next summer, namely HKG, TLV, and one of the AMS, ZRH, MXP, or DME/MOW (I think DME is the preferred MOW airport because of oneworld partner S7). Also look for more Asia, such as ICN, because that is supposed to be a focus for AA.

I agree that AA needs more gate space, but I wonder if the West terminal is better than more expansion. 3 H/K/L all need facelifts, and T-West would allow them to continue the trend set at JFK, MIA, and DFW of new terminals largely for AA. Then again, I am biased for the West Terminal because I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

thomasphoto60

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:31 am

Right. Been to Dallas or Houston lately? I have - there is a large gasping sound as non-native Southerners/Texans are quickly fleeing back to more diversified economic pastures in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York.

That a promise...? Our highways and roadways will soon be far less congested due to the mass exodus of those returning home? IH35 from Ft Worth down to San Antonio will be a breeze instead of the parking lot around Austin? Sounds good to me. Not seeing a lot of North bound or West bound U-Hauls at the moment, but keeping my fingers crossed, thanks for the heads up ORDfan.
"Show me the Braniffs"

AA333PHL

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:06 am

Quoting airplanedaj (Reply 46):
I agree that AA needs more gate space, but I wonder if the West terminal is better than more expansion. 3 H/K/L all need facelifts, and T-West would allow them to continue the trend set at JFK, MIA, and DFW of new terminals largely for AA. Then again, I am biased for the West Terminal because I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

Do you think they will build T-West before building Terminal 6? I think they will build T-6 to relocate Delta, Frontier, Jetblue, Spirit, and Virgin America.

CIDFlyer

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:16 am

T3 (AA) definitely need a major facelift...other than the hall of flags ,its dark and dreary. The food court is nice though...Adding some skylights, some white paint, brighter lighting, new doors at the gates and also some new jetways (maybe even some glass ones like the new ICT has) would go a long ways, and probably be cheaper than a brand new terminal. Concourse G isnt too bad, I would like to see something like that expanded into the remainder of the terminal. Concourse L looks like 1985.

IndianicWorld

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:23 am

Quoting AA333PHL (Reply 39):
It would be a great summer if AA adds ORD to AMS, CPH, DEL, FRA, GLA, HKG, MXP, MUC, SVO, VCE, TLV, and ZRH. In addition, the new Terminal 6 needs to be built next to Terminal 5 so that AA can have more gate space to expand at ORD.

Your not asking for much  
Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 45):
T3 (AA) definitely need a major facelift...other than the hall of flags ,its dark and dreary. The food court is nice though...Adding some skylights, some white paint, brighter lighting, new doors at the gates and also some new jetways (maybe even some glass ones like the new ICT has) would go a long ways, and probably be cheaper than a brand new terminal. Concourse G isnt too bad, I would like to see something like that expanded into the remainder of the terminal. Concourse L looks like 1985.

I will be flying through AA's ORD terminal later this year so will be able to provide feedback then.

Sounds like the typical functional terminal though with no regard to do anything more than that.

CIDFlyer

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:27 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 46):
Sounds like the typical functional terminal though with no regard to do anything more than that.

that pretty much sums in up in regards to AA's terminal at ORD. I know AA has said they plan to invest money into upgrading their hubs so Im hoping ORD is high on the list., its not terrible but it certainly could use a refreshening.

finnishway

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:11 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 36):
There are plans to have up to 4 gates depending on funding approval by the airlines.

Did I understand this correctly? So the airlines who want to fly A380 to ORD has to finance the new gates?

[Edited 2015-08-01 22:11:54]

jcwr56

Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:42 am

Quoting finnishway (Reply 28):

Not strictly the 380 operators, but the airlines who operate into ORD. So in this instance a resolution went out to 36 airlines vote yes, no or abstain and not to exceed $5MM on adding a second bridge to M11. It takes 50%+1 to pass, which it did.

Once it passed, the city can then go out and bond for the money and the airlines will finance through rates and charges. This is why it will be a difficult sell for Terminal expansion on the west side. The talk is pushing T5 east as it would benefit almost all the passenger carriers operating.

United787

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:35 pm

If anyone thinks Chicago is in decline, I suggest you visit or at least do some research.

http://m.chicago.curbed.com/archives.../31/chicago-building-boom-tour.php

Yes, the finances of the Chicago and Illinois governments are screwed up, but don't confuse that with how the economy is doing here. That is mostly from overspending and poor management. Chicago has a highly diversified economy that is a major draw for young highly educated talent and major employers. It has very little in common with Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Chicago is an Alpha city ranked #7 in the world.

jetblue1965

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 29):

Exactly. There's nothing "alpha" about boring business-only towns. You know it's a snooze when a Top 10 guide tells you to visit the zoo and the aquarium.

jacobin777

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 3):
So much of the OP is either made up or highly exaggerated.

We know you are biased because of the weather....  

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):

While Chicago definitely has a pension problem and its bond rating is amongst the worse in the United States, IMHO Chicago has more going for it than Detroit.

I do agree however, if the problem isn't solved, there is going to be a financial strain for the city in the coming decades.

Property taxes are outrages and >80% of all property taxes goes to fund pensions.  Wow!
Quoting rta (Reply 15):
. It's still one of the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and it is growing,

That is a relative recent phenomena. For the past 40-50 years, the city of Chicago was seeing a dwindling population.
"Up the Irons!"

KD5MDK

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Hasn't that been true of most cities that don't expand their land area? Houston, Atlanta etc keep annexing surrounding area which is a significant part of how they are growing.

jetblue1965

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 31):

A lot of that "dwindling" of population within city limits was due to "white flight", which affected many cities large and small. But unlike Detroit, the current city center of Chicago is booming once again from recent years gentrification

The better metric is metro-wide population

WROORD

Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 15):
On the topic of O'Hare, many people say its a great hub. I've never connected through there, but the thought of connecting domestic to international or international domestic at O'Hare is extremely revolting. Even a tight connection at AA's Terminal 3 sends a shiver down my spine. Hopefully its easier than it looks.

It is much easier than say JFK, especially if you continue on AA or UA. Both have check in counters before you leave T5 and you can recheck your bags before hopping on the airport train.

airplanedaj

Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Quoting AA333PHL (Reply 23):
Do you think they will build T-West before building Terminal 6? I think they will build T-6 to relocate Delta, Frontier, Jetblue, Spirit, and Virgin America.

All depends on the money. Anything that gets built will be jointly financed by whoever wants it (AA?) and the City of Chicago. I think an extension on 3K to the south near the current K16/K18 will be built first, along with the T-5 expansion (I think the city refers to this as T6). Then, maybe T-4, which is the extension on 3L to the north.

The city has said that they want the West terminal for LCC's, but I don't think that will ever happen, unless WN decides they want to shift all ops to ORD, which will never happen.

jetblue1965

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 am

Quoting rta (Reply 15):

ORD I-to-D can be rather annoying, but D-to-I are sometimes quite seamless. UA specifically arranged for both LH and NH (their JV buddies) to depart out of T1. No terminal transfer or reclearing of anything required.

I think AA does similar with IB and JL but not BA. AA supposedly has a T3-to-T5 bus specifically for BA connections but I haven't tried it out.

Cubsrule

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 36):
AA supposedly has a T3-to-T5 bus specifically for BA connections but I haven't tried it out.

It exists, departing from one of the lower level G gates and a couple of other stops every 20 minutes. A BA boarding pass is required.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jcwr56

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:41 pm

Quoting airplanedaj (Reply 35):
I think an extension on 3K to the south near the current K16/K18 will be built first

As much as AA would love to have this, it's just not going to happen after the realignment of taxiways that's currently under construction.

In regards to the shuttle from T3 to T5, it also services QR.

LH has made inquires about relocating back to T5. Not that it's 100% but the issue with connections is not a sticking point and the overall cost between T5/T1 or T5/T5 is about equal. With the loss of DUS one wonders to keep the amount of seats on the German-ORD market would bringing the a380 in fill that need and since they can't operate it T1, what's the next logical choice.

In regards to the OP, I'd say 75% of that is correct with a few others that aren't publicly known.

jetblue1965

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 37):

It exists, departing from one of the lower level G gates and a couple of other stops every 20 minutes. A BA boarding pass is required.

You'd *think* they would be more alliance friendly by allowing ANY same-day oneworld boarding pass to utilize the service. Doing a D-to-I connection of AA-CX would require exiting T3, taking the train, and reclearing TSA at T5 ... hardly a flyer friendly experience.

Cubsrule

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 39):
You'd *think* they would be more alliance friendly by allowing ANY same-day oneworld boarding pass to utilize the service.

IIRC the issue is that CX doesn't want to help pay for the shuttle. But, I agree with you that somebody ought to see the value of it to oneworld or to AA.

jetblue1965

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 40):

IIRC the issue is that CX doesn't want to help pay for the shuttle. But, I agree with you that somebody ought to see the value of it to oneworld or to AA.

If offering the shuttle would drastically increase its usage and possibly inconvenience BA passengers, then I agree the costs should be shared across all airlines eligible for the service.

But if it's just like 20 pax a day, it's essentially filling otherwise-empty-seats. The shuttle is already running, so most of the fixed costs already sunk. The incremental cost of fuel is a small price to pay for the increased customer satisfaction.

Cubsrule

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 41):

If offering the shuttle would drastically increase its usage and possibly inconvenience BA passengers, then I agree the costs should be shared across all airlines eligible for the service.

But if it's just like 20 pax a day, it's essentially filling otherwise-empty-seats. The shuttle is already running, so most of the fixed costs already sunk. The incremental cost of fuel is a small price to pay for the increased customer satisfaction.

I agree with everything you have written. Keep in mind, though, that it's pretty expensive. I've seen a figure of $100,000 per year. If folks acted rationally, that would provide a greater incentive to share costs, but . . .

DUSdude

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 38):
With the loss of DUS

DUS is not "lost". DUS is seasonal. Coming back next spring.

sw733

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 41):

I think the problem would be that the shuttle would need to run earlier than the current one to accommodate the earlier CX departure, and BA would obviously not want to bear that cost. At current, the CX flight leaves at 3:30pm, so the shuttle would need to start running at, say, 1:00pm if not earlier. The first BA flight isn't until 6:10pm.

incitatus

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:15 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 33):
A lot of that "dwindling" of population within city limits was due to "white flight", which affected many cities large and small. But unlike Detroit, the current city center of Chicago is booming once again from recent years gentrification

The better metric is metro-wide population

Chicago is an awesome city and a great tourist destination. That said, the metro is not growing very fast. While Dallas and Houston metros gain 100,000 people per year, Chicago gains some 20,000.

Long term, Chicago will continue to be an important metro area. But it is going to have competitors of similar size which are more business friendly.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Sandsofly

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):

Do you know anything at all about Chicago vs. Detroit? This is a ridiculous comparison that makes no sense, sorry.

Freshside3

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting airplanedaj (Reply 21):
Woah there. Take it easy. I think a few of these routes may be on the table by next summer, namely HKG, TLV, and one of the AMS, ZRH, MXP, or DME/MOW (I think DME is the preferred MOW airport because of oneworld partner S7).

MOW airports---DME or SVO would be a dead issue for UA, obviously, since they don't have a partner carrier in Russia. However, UA has failed to make the most of its partnership with A3, who has expanded at ATH. Which happens to be a route that would be useful out of ORD.

jetblue1965

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 45):

Chicago is an awesome city and a great tourist destination. That said, the metro is not growing very fast. While Dallas and Houston metros gain 100,000 people per year, Chicago gains some 20,000.

Long term, Chicago will continue to be an important metro area. But it is going to have competitors of similar size which are more business friendly.

It'll take something like 37 years for Dallas metroplex to even be on par with Chicagoland in population, assuming they both remain at the same growth rates of the past 14 years, and that Dallas (or HOU/ATL for that matter) does not start running into The Law of Large Numbers

Also, keep in a mind a lot of "sun belt" growth is at the expense of the rust belt. The question becomes will the rust belt exodus continue at the same rate, or has it reached a certain plateau ?

mt99

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 45):
That said, the metro is not growing very fast. While Dallas and Houston metros gain 100,000 people per year, Chicago gains some 20,000.

Yes - but those 20,000 are highly educated which have more spending power that 100,000 from Dallas.

More spend = more flight =- more business.

Flight are taken by people who can spend. Or most importantly for airlines companies who pay for their employees to travel at any cost. And the only way a business justifies spending $3000 on a short notice ticket to London is sending capable and trained employees.
Step into my office, baby

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos