Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Supposed Rat Sighting Causes Flight To Return

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:43 pm

A flight from New Delhi to Milan had to turn around a couple hours into the flight, due to a possible rat on board. The furry kind  .

http://news.yahoo.com/air-india-plan...n-back-rat-sighting-002331208.html

"The airline said no rodent had been found, but it had no choice but to turn back and fumigate the aircraft after the report."

"(The Dreamliner flight) AI 123... returned to Delhi due to (a) suspected rat sighting," an airline official told AFP on condition of anonymity on Friday."

"The presence of the rodent was not confirmed, but keeping passenger safety in mind, the aircraft was brought back."

spartanmjf

RE: Supposed Rat Sighting Causes Flight To Return

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Clearly this is an issue with the 787 and Boeing that demands just compensation for AI.....

"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

strfyr51

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Close the cabin doors tape over and seal the openings and vents. Get 3 ea 50lb blocks of Dry ice Place one in the fwd cabin one amid ships and one in the aft cabin. And Wait. In about 3 hours? No MO MOUSE!! Follow the odor of Dead mouse and Viola!
there you have it!!. OR? Let that mouse Bite a passenger? And you'll Buy them an airplane of their OWN!!
(I've already BEEN to this Rodeo!)

migair54

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:26 pm

This is not the first time this happen in history, I have heard also about snakes, scorpions causing diversions.

AI123 DEL-MXP. VT-ANA

Knowing India very well, my wife is from there, I am sure half of the plane was looking for the rat to workship her and make some pooja and offer sweets and the other half was trying to kill it. So to avoid fighting they decide to go back.

A famous temple in Rajasthan known as Rat Temple, with "only" 20.000 rats living there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple

Fumigating in this cases is complicated, rats are very tought and it will be difficult to find the body to avoid decomposition after death, maybe some traps will help faster, usually fumigation is more common for cockroaches.

spinkid

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Alright kids, let's keep it classy here.

I agree, that fumigating for rats is contrary to how most people deal wtih them, that will sure stink when it starts to decompose.

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 pm

The problem with rodents is not only that they can transmit diseases (e.g. bulbonic plaque, which killed millions in the Middle Ages in Europe and was most likely also responsible for the collapse of both the Byzantine and persian Empire and the rise of Islam), but they also like to chew e.g. electric wiring.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

efcar98

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 pm

I thought this thread was about the Ram Air Turbine being accidentally deployed!!!!!

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Seems to be happening alot in India. How long was this delayed? I imagine you have to remove all the luggage as well? I would not my luggage to have toxic chemicals all over it. Did they have a spare aircraft or did the passengers have to wait?

strfyr51

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 4):

I agree, that fumigating for rats is contrary to how most people deal wtih them, that will sure stink when it starts to decompose.

Using dry ice will displace the oxygen and suffocate the rodent. Then you can use particle sniffer to locate the Rat when he starts to decompose in about 12 hours. The rodent will actually suffocate as the oxygen is displaced and he'll go to sleep and never wake up. No Poisons No Nothing.

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 am

I'm surprised this thing doesn't happen more often, considering how rats

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 8):
Using dry ice will displace the oxygen and suffocate the rodent. Then you can use particle sniffer to locate the Rat when he starts to decompose in about 12 hours. The rodent will actually suffocate as the oxygen is displaced and he'll go to sleep and never wake up. No Poisons No Nothing.

Is the dry ice method commonplace within the airlines, in an event such as this?.

Rats inhabit much of the world, obviously, but this is the first time I've heard of a rat in a plane. And rats, as opposed to many other critters -again obviously- are in a different league, as far as being able to (potentially) bring down an airplane.

Must have been frustrating for all involved...

Eurohub

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 2):
Follow the odor of Dead mouse and Viola

Do string instruments emit distinct odours?
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

flyingturtle

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 10):
Do string instruments emit distinct odours?

Non, je pense que strfyr51 voulait écrire "voilà".

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

manny

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Quoting spartanmjf (Reply 1):
Clearly this is an issue with the 787 and Boeing that demands just compensation for AI.....

There we go......on this forum people love to take Air India bashing to a new art form on the slightest of opportunity.

migair54

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting manny (Reply 12):
There we go......on this forum people love to take Air India bashing to a new art form on the slightest of opportunity.

yes, sometimes.

A couple of other examples:
-Egypt A320 near Hurghada on Dec 3rd 2012, snake on the plane.
-Qantas B738 at Melbourne on Apr 15th 2009, snakes missing from container.
-Southwest B737 near Indianapolis on Jul 18th 2009, scorpion produces a medical emergency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos