Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Viscount724

RE: BA To Launch LGW- San Jose, Costa Rica

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 37):
Let's not forget the guy who wanted to fly to SYD and ended up somewhere in Canada

A few British tourists booked on the internet to Sydney, Nova Scotia (YQY) on AC by mistake instead of SYD, thinking they'd found a very attractive fare. And a German tourist also booked by mistake to Sidney, Montana (SDY) instead of SYD.

Gazdon121

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:36 am

One of the BA just operated a LGW-FCO-LGW rotation, we're do they find the time in the schedule for this

SJOtoLIR

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 30):
Comprehensive schedule for the very beginning:

Update.
BA LGW-SJO will rather operate an inconsistent schedule as shown:

BA 2137.....LGW 11:00........14:50 SJO..... 772......Sa
BA 2137.....LGW 11:55........15:45 SJO......772......We

BA 2136.....SJO 16:20.....09:35+1 LGW.....772......Sa
BA 2136.....SJO 17:15.....10:30+1 LGW.....772......We
Effective: May 04th

[Edited 2015-08-08 17:48:05]
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

jumpjets

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 52):
BA LGW-SJO will rather operate an inconsistent schedule as shown:

I don't imagine it really matters if this route is being targeted at the holiday market. The chances are any given passenger will make one return trip once. Possibly dedicated lovers of Cost Rica might travel on the service once in a while but I would suggest won't be too bothered whether his flight is at 1100 or 1155.

I would think more flights to give a better choice of travelling days is more important than a consistent time every day.

I do agree though that maybe for commercial planning purposes at the Costa Rica end of BA a regular timing might be beneficial.

TedToToe

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting Gazdon121 (Reply 51):

One of the BA just operated a LGW-FCO-LGW rotation, we're do they find the time in the schedule for this

Something to do with adjustments to flight schedules following the fire at FCO, I believe. BA have frequently substituted long haul configured 767's on the LHR - FCO route recently.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 53):
Possibly dedicated lovers of Costa Rica might travel on the service once in a while but I would suggest won't be too bothered whether his flight is at 1100 or 1155.

I would think more flights to give a better choice of travelling days is more important than a consistent time every day.

Probably you're right and any adjustment to these schedules don't matter.
By the way, BA LGW-SJO is planning to raise their frequencies from 2x to 3x weekly for winter 2016-2017.

Regards.

Johnwaynebobbet

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:17 pm

There was never any question of the slots going to Virgin permanently due to the wording of the agreement.

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 49):
Until they knew if those slots would come back, or if they would end up with Virgin permanently, it was probably a little harder to decide exactly what to do.

bendewire

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:42 pm

Thomson is starting LGW to SJO 2016, this is bookable now

LTU932

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:43 am

Quoting bendewire (Reply 57):
Thomson is starting LGW to SJO 2016, this is bookable now

Weren't they actually starting LGW-LIR?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Andy33

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 am

Quoting Johnwaynebobbet (Reply 56):
There was never any question of the slots going to Virgin permanently due to the wording of the agreement.

The way the slot award was worded they could most certainly have remained with Virgin permanently, once they had been operated for six consecutive IATA seasons (so three years). But evenafter they had secured them (grandfathered is the term in the competition judgement) there was a restriction on what they could be used for - only destinations within the EU/EEA or MOW/RUH/CAI as the three non-EU cities referenced in the original competition ruling. In practice MOW was always a non-starter as the UK-Russia bilateral restricts flying to two airlines from each country on this route, and the UK government had already chosen U2 (from LGW) as the second carrier to replace BMI.
As we now know, the change of CEO at VS, and the growing DL influence, meant that a long hard look was taken and it was realised that this was totally unprofitable, well before the three years were up.

AR385

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:47 am

Congrats to San José. Wonderful city in a wonderful country with fantastic people. For a variety of reasons I´ve spent a lot of time throughout my life in Costa Rica and it is very close personally to me.

I do have a question. It surprises me that BA has decided to launch an uncommon route for them that IB flies 7x. What is the point? Both are owned by the same group and as I remember, one of the the main drivers behind bringing IB into the fold was to let BA focus in other ops and IB bring its Latin American routing core competencies into the group. What is the reasoning for this route when IB can connect its SJO inbound pax through MAD to both LGW, LHR and onward points in Europe?

Sure, cannibalization may not be a danger due to the low planned frequency by BA, although 3x is right on the edge, but surely there may be redundancy? Further, I would see more sense if the route was to LHR. That would mean there is a business traveller component that does not care for a flight on IB and a connect in MAD, but to/from LGW?

I don´t get it.

LTU932

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:05 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 60):
I do have a question. It surprises me that BA has decided to launch an uncommon route for them that IB flies 7x. What is the point? Both are owned by the same group and as I remember, one of the the main drivers behind bringing IB into the fold was to let BA focus in other ops and IB bring its Latin American routing core competencies into the group. What is the reasoning for this route when IB can connect its SJO inbound pax through MAD to both LGW, LHR and onward points in Europe?

Since BA is launching SJO from LGW, it's launched as O&D destination, with focus on tourists. Had BA launched the route from LHR, it could have indeed competed with IB.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Andy33

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 am

There's a growing amount of eco-tourism (exploring the forests, bird watching etc) from the UK to Costa Rica (several friends have done this recently and they did go via Madrid as the alternative via the US was even more hassle), rather than just traditional beach based holiday traffic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the more upmarket UK tour operators haven't approached BA in advance of this announcement, and will block-book seats on the new flights. To this market connecting in Madrid is seen as a definite downside, as it is with BA's own package holiday business. So these flights aren't really cannibalising the IB service, as many of the passengers BA are hoping for wouldn't use the IB service but would use a non-stop one.

Johnwaynebobbet

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 am

Quoting andy33 (Reply 59):
The way the slot award was worded they could most certainly have remained with Virgin permanently, once they had been operated for six consecutive IATA seasons (so three years). But evenafter they had secured them (grandfathered is the term in the competition judgement) there was a restriction on what they could be used for - only destinations within the EU/EEA or MOW/RUH/CAI as the three non-EU cities referenced in the original competition ruling. In practice MOW was always a non-starter as the UK-Russia bilateral restricts flying to two airlines from each country on this route, and the UK government had already chosen U2 (from LGW) as the second carrier to replace BMI.
As we now know, the change of CEO at VS, and the growing DL influence, meant that a long hard look was taken and it was realised that this was totally unprofitable, well before the three years were up.

Sorry I was reading it in the context that you thought the slots would be retained by Virgin in the future despite them only operating the flights for a short period of the required time.

BA0197

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 pm

The Caribbean is not uncommon for BA- although Spanish speaking islands less so. Let's not forget that BA is one of the largest carriers into the Caribbean and most islands have very close UK connections (some are Commonwealth Realms in which Her Majesty is head of state and some like, Grand Cayman, are Overseas Territories of the UK as well).

I agree Spanish speaking islands are IB's territory, but if we look at the Caribbean as a whole, BA dominates.

AR385

Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 64):
The Caribbean is not uncommon for BA- although Spanish speaking islands less so. Let's not forget that BA is one of the largest carriers into the Caribbean and most islands

Costa Rica may technically have a Caribbean side but it is not an island, it´s famous for its Pacific Ocean Eco tourism, and other parts and it is in Central America.

BA0197

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 65):
Costa Rica may technically have a Caribbean side but it is not an island, it´s famous for its Pacific Ocean Eco tourism, and other parts and it is in Central America.

Please pardon me! You are of course correct- I was mistakenly thinking it was Puerto Rico when I typed that up!

AR385

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 66):
Please pardon me! You are of course correct- I was mistakenly thinking it was Puerto Rico when I typed that up!

No worries! Seems a common mistake. Although more people have so far mistaken it for San Juan, than for San Jose, California. I, as others, thought the mistake was going to be between SJO/SJC.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:07 am

Quoting bendewire (Reply 57):
Thomson is starting LGW to SJO 2016

Amazing.
TOM [LGW-LIR] and TOM [LGW-SJO].

Related press release: http://news.co.cr/travel-in-style-fr...ndon-to-san-jose-costa-rica/38978/

On a separate note, I found accurate information at www.flights.thomson.co.uk that always attracts the attention of foreigners:

“Did You Know?
Tune in to the radio at 7am and you’ll hear the country’s national anthem all Costa Rican stations play it at the same time, every day.”

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 58):
Weren't they actually starting LGW-LIR?

November 2015 onward.

What is the reasoning for this route when IB can connect its SJO inbound pax through MAD to both LGW, LHR and onward points in Europe?

I concur that BA LGW-SJO 2x weekly is merely centralized on the O&D traffic, given their limited weekly frequencies for the very beginning.
In my early input numbered as 45 on this board, you can find the explanations given by Costa Rican authorities related to the relevance of the European tourism component.

Regards.

Freshside3

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 22):
As was San Jose, Costa Rica! Havana might be a good choice, unless the threatened transfer of NAS and GCM from LHR is going to happen.
Quoting Gazdon121 (Reply 17):
Wild card here but do u think we could see Cuba??

I don't think Brits need a visa for Cuba, right??

SJOtoLIR

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:42 am

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 69):
I don't think Brits need a visa for Cuba, right??

Depends.
If Brits are entering as tourists, they need the tourist card prior to travel:

http://www.cubadiplomatica.cu/reinou.../ConsularServices.aspx#TouristCard

Regards.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 39):
remodelling is never ending.

Update.
Finally the lounges to accommodate long-haul planes at SJO have been officially concluded and tested on August 18th with the 345 scheduled as IB MAD-SJO-MAD.
BA LGW-SJO will be surely parked in the same place.

Press release and video in Spanish language.
http://www.teletica.com/Noticias/998...je-y-puentes-de-embarque.note.aspx

Regards.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos