Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Pilot Grabs An Axe To Get Person Out Of Toilet

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 am

On a flight between Stockholm and Gideå in Sweden, a drunk pasenger locked himself into the toilet, when it was only 10 minutes before landing. The pilot resolutely grabbed an Axe and entered and got the drunk passenger out of there.

Anyone know what airline ?

http://www.dagbladet.no/2015/08/06/nyheter/kuriosa/luftfart/40488457/

N14AZ

RE: Pilot Grabs An Axe To Get Person Out Of Toilet

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):

No clue.... but the pilot looked like Jack Nickolson  

EIDL

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:06 am

The only airline operating from ARN to their nearest airport to Gidea (OER) seems to be a virtual airline "Höga Kusten Flyg" using wet-leased Saabs

AR385

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:15 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):

From the description of the event sounds like Soviet Aeroflot. But it´s gone these days...

solnabo

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:55 am

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 1):
No clue.... but the pilot looked like Jack Nickolson

Priceless 

Doesnt say what airline in Swe Press. Maybe SAAB 340´s
Airbus SAS - Love them both

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:04 am

I don't know about other types of aircraft, but if it would have been a 737 they wouldn't need an axe. Those toilet doors can be opened from the outside by just lifting the "vacant / occupied" sign on the door. A simple trick often used by stewards and stewardesses if someone is locked inside there.

AR385

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 am

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 5):
I don't know about other types of aircraft, but if it would have been a 737 they wouldn't need an axe. Those toilet doors can be opened from the outside by just lifting the "vacant / occupied" sign on the door. A simple trick often used by stewards and stewardesses if someone is locked inside there.

Assuming the pilot was not enacting a scene from Conan the Barbarian, I believe it is safe to assume the passenger had locked himself inside the toilette in a way where that option you mention did not work don´t you think?  

All airliners have a variation of it. This guy must have been pushing against the door or locked himself in by some other way that disabled that mechanism that unlocks it from the outside.

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:42 am

Flight was from ARN to OER so I assume that it was a Högakustenflyg (operated by Golden) flight.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

FredrikHAD

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Flights ARN-OER are operated by NextJet (2N) with BAe ATP's as far as I can tell (on behalf of Höga Kusten Flyg AB). The police was informed 21:52 local time and this must have been flight 2N3114 (on the 5:th of August, scheduled to land 22:00), even if newspaper Aftonbladet says the flight was scheduled to land at around 8:30 pm (they're not exactly known for their accuracy in reporting   ) .

According to local newspaper Allehanda, the crew was hesitant to let the person board at ARN, but decided it was safe to let him. http://www.allehanda.se/angermanland...l-ville-inte-slappa-ombord-berusad (Swedish)

According to the police, the use of an axe was indeed not that dramatic, and it was merely used to pry the door open. The intoxicated man was reported to be calm and just wanted to be left alone. He was suspected for air traffic laws violation and was handed over to...his wife! He will be questioned later and probably fined for his refusal to comply.

/Fredrik

allrite

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 pm

I've heard of plenty of flights getting axed, but not in this way.  
I like artificial banana essence!

copter808

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:36 pm

Why would the pilot even care?

The reason passengers are prohibited in the lavs for takeoff and landing is for safety reasons. Clearly the pilot's actions put the aircraft and passengers in far MORE danger than just continuing with the landing.

Best solution is to ask the passenger to get out of the lav. On failure to comply, have authorities meet the flight on landing and take the offender into custody.

Until I see something a bit more reputable, this goes into my DS folder!

FredrikHAD

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 10):
Why would the pilot even care?

The captain should care because he/she is responsible for passenger's safety. Failing to make sure all passengers (even drunk ones) are seated before landing would probably even be punishable.

copter808

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting FredrikHAD (Reply 11):
The captain should care because he/she is responsible for passenger's safety. Failing to make sure all passengers (even drunk ones) are seated before landing would probably even be punishable.

So he is going to leave the controls to get someone out of the lavatory? He is creating FAR more risk to the rest of the passengers by doing that! Yes, he is responsible for ALL the passengers, particularly the ones that are NOT in the lav.

rbavfan

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 am

Until I see something a bit more reputable, this goes into my DS folder!

I assume you meant BS folder?

klwright69

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:35 am

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 5):

Recently I have seen the flight attendants do this on SV and QR. Once a small child started screaming and they had to open it this way for instance. The child left the door unlocked and she started screaming after a pax opened the door on her and then locked her inside.

777Jet

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 am

Clearly the pilot's actions put the aircraft and passengers in far MORE danger than just continuing with the landing.

Agreed.

Quoting FredrikHAD (Reply 11):

It's not the pilots job to leave the cockpit and axe open lav doors...

Quoting copter808 (Reply 12):
So he is going to leave the controls to get someone out of the lavatory? He is creating FAR more risk to the rest of the passengers by doing that! Yes, he is responsible for ALL the passengers, particularly the ones that are NOT in the lav.

Exactly.

He should have stayed up front and let somebody else play with the axe...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

RJ321

Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:42 am

In many countries, such an incident would result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or fines.

Navigator

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:34 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 12):

No no. If you do not know the specific circumstance there is no way you can pass a judgement on this. I think the captain knew exactly what he was doing. NextJet has a good operational reputation. The Captain did what he had to do. In case of emergency the plane need a rapid evacuation. The Captain is responsible for that this can function with all passengers. If someone is in the toilet there is no way you can save him in an emergency.

The Captain was right according to european EASA regulations.
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S

FredrikHAD

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:45 am

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 16):
In many countries, such an incident would result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or fines.

Rest assured that he will indeed get prosecuted, but there was no immediate threat once on the ground, so the police probably didn't see the need to detain him at that point in time. As I noted above, he was handed over to his wife (probably at the airport to give him a ride home), so perhaps they figured that would be enough punishment at that point in time...

Örnsköldsvik is not exactly LA (29k inhabitants) and I would assume the FAs and the pilots are aquainted to a fair amount of the pax onboard, perhaps even the drunk. At least that's howw things are here in Halmstad, HAD. They would probably feel quite confident that they would have the support of the rest of the pax if the situation escalated.

As a side note, OER is actually so small that is is the only airport in the world (as far as I know) that has a remote ATC, run via video links from SDL 125 km south of OER.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_and_virtual_tower

AR385

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:50 am

The reason passengers are prohibited in the lavs for takeoff and landing is for safety reasons. Clearly the pilot's actions put the aircraft and passengers in far MORE danger than just continuing with the landing.

I´m not sure about EASA regulations but my guess is only the Captain is permitted to use the Ax outside the cockpit for any situation that is not an evacuation.

Plus the guy for all everybody new, could have been trying to start a fire. You just don´t know.

Good call by the Captain in my opinion.

B777LRF

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:34 am

You people do realise there are two pilots onboard, and that the aircraft can be flown perfectly safe by just one? That people with no apparent knowledge of flight operations are often the first to pass judgement on this site, never fails to baffle me.

The really interesting bit here, is how this puts the inane airport security processes for flightcrews in perspective; they'll take my nailclipperes and water away, just before I board my aircraft which has a fireaxe!
Signature. You just read one.

vfw614

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Is the fireaxe stored in the cockpit (for obvious reasons) so that the pilot has to get out of the cockpit anyway to make it available (instead of a FA rummaging aorund in the cockpit)? All in all, no big deal. Cannot really see much difference from a pilot going to the loo to take a potty break.

IMissPiedmont

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Locked himself in a toilet? I have never seen a toilet with a lock or anyone older than about 6 months that could fit in one.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Skydrol

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 22):
Locked himself in a toilet? I have never seen a toilet with a lock or anyone older than about 6 months that could fit in one.

Most of the world outside of North America refers to the room as the toilet, and not just the bowl used for defecation. This is even obvious on Canadian airlines with the bilingual signs on lavatories which read 'Lavatory / Toilette'

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

RussianJet

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 20):
and water away, just before I board my aircraft which has a fireaxe!

Don't see the connection. Fireaxes are dangerous, just as liquid explosives are, but in different ways and the axe is under the control of the crew. As for the nailclippers - you have my full backing on that, but let's not be disingenuous about this. The liquid explosives plot was real and had the full potential to do serious damage. I hate the liquids ban with a passion and it's a real pain in the arse, but unlike nailclippers, the risk is serious.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

copter808

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 13):
I assume you meant BS folder?

Correct. I had to edit it and didn't reread my post carefully.

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 16):

Yes, maybe for BOTH, passenger AND pilot!

Quoting Navigator (Reply 17):
No no. If you do not know the specific circumstance there is no way you can pass a judgement on this. I think the captain knew exactly what he was doing. NextJet has a good operational reputation. The Captain did what he had to do. In case of emergency the plane need a rapid evacuation. The Captain is responsible for that this can function with all passengers. If someone is in the toilet there is no way you can save him in an emergency.

The Captain was right according to european EASA regulations.

You are correct in that I don't know the exact circumstances of the incident and that my comments are based solely on what I read here, as well as personal experience and judgement. I agree that the pax would be much safer belted into a seat, but we cannot save people from being stupid. I don't agree with placing the rest of the passengers in potential danger over a guy that won't come out of the lav.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 19):
I´m not sure about EASA regulations but my guess is only the Captain is permitted to use the Ax outside the cockpit for any situation that is not an evacuation.

Plus the guy for all everybody new, could have been trying to start a fire. You just don´t know.

Good call by the Captain in my opinion.

Under what circumstances? The axe is for emergency use and should be available to WHOEVER needs it. Although if it's in the cockpit, it would be of limited availability to anyone else until after a serious crash!

If he was trying to start a fire then it changes things. But even if he was, a better option MAY (depending on distance from an airport) have been to get the aircraft on the ground first, then deal with the pax. We can "what-if" all day, but my comments are based on what I have read here.

Very POOR decision by the captain in my book!

You people do realise there are two pilots onboard, and that the aircraft can be flown perfectly safe by just one? That people with no apparent knowledge of flight operations are often the first to pass judgement on this site, never fails to baffle me.

I completely agree with your comment about people with no knowledge here. One of my pet peeves too. However I am not one of them. I am fully aware of the two pilots in the cockpit. I am also quite familiar with the accident chain and tend to look at these incidents from a different direction. Basically, if I can't justify my actions AFTER the accident, maybe I shouldn't have done it in the first place.

The really interesting bit here, is how this puts the inane airport security processes for flightcrews in perspective; they'll take my nailclipperes and water away, just before I board my aircraft which has a fireaxe!

I most certainly can't argue that point and you have my full agreement. Went through security recently in Manila with an off-duty flight attendant. They tried taking his steel tape measure away because it could be used as a "weapon"! Other more "dangerous" weapons such as pens, pencils, and keys were ignored.

Why would you bother with the axe anyway? Much easier to just push forward on the yoke/stick on short final.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos