Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

elbandgeek
Topic Author

MDW Terminal Expansion Announced

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:51 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...rades-0807-biz-20150806-story.html

It looks like they'll be widening the bridge over Cicero enough to move all the security into it. The space of the existing checkpoints will be used to expand concessions. They're also building a new parking garage next to the current one (partly covering the L track yard)

Cubsrule

RE: MDW Terminal Expansion Announced

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Thread starter):
t looks like they'll be widening the bridge over Cicero enough to move all the security into it.

Good move (and probably more sensible than the second bridge proposal floated a few years ago). I will say, though, that since MDW and WN got Precheck, the lines have been acceptable--albeit longer than at comparable times at ORD--most of the times I've been through.

The space of the existing checkpoints will be used to expand concessions.

The concessions at the intersection of A, B and C could really use more seating, especially if they plan to install more counter service restaurants. My wife would really like a Starbucks . . .
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 pm

The new developments with the expansion of the check point will also include airlines gate shuffling.

Sources now say Sun County, Branson Express and Volaris international departing flights will move to gates A4A and A4B. Porter will use gate B8 for departing flights.

WN will give UP gate B8 because it can't handle a 737- 800 or new MAX and in turn WN will take control of all 3 C gates.
DL and WN swap gates A5,A7 for A14,A16
A5 and A7 will be refurbished to allow an additional walk way to be built to connect them to US customs and immigration services. These will become WN primary international arrival gates.

Under the concourse TSA will relocate break rooms and office space under concourse C.
Allowing reconfiguration and expansion of US customs, immigration services and Baggage recheck area.
This will help eliminate the current and overcrowded and delayed processing area.

And lastly there's plans to make the Orange line to the city a 24hr line.

Good news for MDW.

Flyguy

[Edited 2015-08-06 14:32:40]
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

glbltrvlr

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 am

It looks like they'll be widening the bridge over Cicero enough to move all the security into it.

According to the article, the bridge will go from 60' to 300' wide. That's one heck of an expansion. Doesn't say if they will go North and South or just one direction, but basically putting a whole security checkpoint building on top of Cicero. If they do the expansion on one side, the current bridge goes back to being a bridge for exiting passengers.

United787

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:55 am

"The passageway from the Orange Line will also be remodeled, Emanuel said." Well that is great news...hopefully it will feel like less of an afterthought.

bcoz

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:38 pm

I realize I'm being a bit picky here, but I wish the city would spend money bringing ORD out of the pre-deregulation era rather than pump money into a facility that I think, for the most part, is relatively good and adequate in terms of passenger amenities, speedy security and general aesthetics.

But, that's just one man's opinion.

United787

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 5):

I realize I'm being a bit picky here, but I wish the city would spend money bringing ORD out of the pre-deregulation era rather than pump money into a facility that I think, for the most part, is relatively good and adequate in terms of passenger amenities, speedy security and general aesthetics.

I agree, ORD needs a big terminal project, NOW!

MDW is great little airport as is, but I think it could use the planned improvements.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 5):

What's so bad about ORD? It's no DTW, but it's also worlds better than the CTB at LGA.

bcoz

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 7):
It's no DTW, but it's also worlds better than the CTB at LGA.

Agreed. My point was that if the city is going to use my tax money (I'm assuming it is my tax money, although I haven't read enough about the funding source) for airport renovations/expansions, I'd prefer they do it at the city's more antiquated facility first (and the facility that more visitors and connecting see on a daily basis).

United787

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 7):
What's so bad about ORD? It's no DTW, but it's also worlds better than the CTB at LGA.

ORD is great, especially T1 and T5...but T2 sux and T3 isn't a whole lot better. But, most of all, we need more gates and now! We are no where near LGA but the bar shouldn't be set so low.

SWADawg

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 2):

I would bet that what WN is actually trying to do by moving "other Airlines" over to A4A/B and taking over all of C is to get the City to agree to let WN still use A4A/B for certain times of day when the operation needs the extra gates and A4A/B aren't being used. WN already knows that their Aircraft will fit on A4A/B, but now they can get the City to agree to reconfigure the C Gates so that all three can be used by WN exclusively. A brilliant strategy by WN to actually get a net gain in access to gates that they don't have today. Gate B8 could also be shared by both WN and PD since WN can still park -3's/-5's/and -7's on that gate when PD isn't using it.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

SFOThinker

Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I hope they will put a moving sidewalk in between the El station and the terminal. I was surprised at what a long, draft walk it was in the winter.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 9):
but T2 sux and T3 isn't a whole lot better.

I don't have a big problem with T3. Parts of H and K need more seating, but the concession options are good, and the recent (~8-10 years ago) renovations to Ticketing and Baggage Claim have made things much better in those areas.

usflyguy

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 8):
My point was that if the city is going to use my tax money (I'm assuming it is my tax money, although I haven't read enough about the funding source) for airport renovations/expansions, I'd prefer they do it at the city's more antiquated facility first (and the facility that more visitors and connecting see on a daily basis).

I don't think you read any of the article since the beginning of the second paragraph states, "Under the plan, to be paid for by airport operations and the federal government..." I believe that the airport operations is out of the funds paid by the airlines that use the airport so money from MDW shouldn't be diverted to ORD and the rest that relates to TSA is funded by the federal government.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

TVNWZ

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 13):
I don't think you read any of the article since the beginning of the second paragraph states, "Under the plan, to be paid for by airport operations and the federal government..." I believe that the airport operations is out of the funds paid by the airlines that use the airport so money from MDW shouldn't be diverted to ORD and the rest that relates to TSA is funded by the federal government.

Which means bcoz will be paying for it--one way or the other.

CIDFlyer

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):
I don't have a big problem with T3. Parts of H and K need more seating, but the concession options are good, and the recent (~8-10 years ago) renovations to Ticketing and Baggage Claim have made things much better in those areas.

T3 could use some sprucing up. Mainly just some skylights in the concourses past the central food court and some brighter paint. Also needs some new jet bridges, alot look rusted out which isnt a good impression.

With that said I do really like the food court, its bright and modern.

L concourse also looks extremely dated (circa mid 80s)

glbltrvlr

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 13):
I believe that the airport operations is out of the funds paid by the airlines that use the airport so money from MDW shouldn't be diverted to ORD and the rest that relates to TSA is funded by the federal government.

You forgot the airport ticket tax - PFC. IIRC, PFC funds are supposed to be used at the airport from which they were collected, but given Chicago politics and the fact that money is fungible, who knows? TSA is funded by the airlines and another ticket tax. Bottom line is that all of this is being paid by the passengers.

ckfred

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 8):
Agreed. My point was that if the city is going to use my tax money (I'm assuming it is my tax money, although I haven't read enough about the funding source) for airport renovations/expansions, I'd prefer they do it at the city's more antiquated facility first (and the facility that more visitors and connecting see on a daily basis).

My guess is that the money will come from landing fees, leases, concessions, taxes on jet fuel, and PFCs. Going back to the original Mayor Daley, Chicago has bragged how no taxpayer money (i.e., property taxes) is used at the airports.

masgniw

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting SFOThinker (Reply 11):

I hope they will put a moving sidewalk in between the El station and the terminal. I was surprised at what a long, draft walk it was in the winter.
Quoting United787 (Reply 4):
"The passageway from the Orange Line will also be remodeled, Emanuel said." Well that is great news...hopefully it will feel like less of an afterthought.

I'm so baffled why the existing moving walkway has been out of service for so long. Granted, it's probably only covering 1/6th of the distance... but still.

Unfortunately, this was the only line about the Orange Line in the Sun Times Article: "And it will give CTA Orange Line riders shelter from the elements."

I'm really disappointed that while they are adding 1,400 parking spaces, they are doing little for those on public transit. I'd love to see CTA partnering with Midway to encourage more transit riders rather than encouraging more people to sit in traffic on Cicero/I-55/etc.

bcoz

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting masgniw (Reply 18):
Unfortunately, this was the only line about the Orange Line in the Sun Times Article: "And it will give CTA Orange Line riders shelter from the elements."

Yeah....I'm not sure what they mean by that exactly. It's already covered with some shielding on the side. I think they have heaters installed in the ceiling for at least part of that walkway.

steex

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):
My wife would really like a Starbucks . . .

I'd prefer to see a Dunkin Donuts, but to each his/her own. More critically, someone needs to work out a way to get Portillo's into the airports.

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 2):
Porter will use gate B8 for departing flights.

So does this mean PD pax will deplane at ground level and walk to customs, or will they be introducing an internal connection to customs from B8? It seems silly to have PD deplane at an A gate and then be pushed a few hundred feet over to B8 for departure.

wnflyguy

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 20):

Porter,Sun County, Volaris and Southwest will ALL Dump/off load then Tow from Gates A1,A2 and A3.
This will be a short term fix until gates A5 and A7 get a make over into international Swing gates for WN.
And also until they redo the US customs, immigration services and Baggage recheck area to handles more PAX per Hour.
As of right now MDW has a bottle neck with the current international set up causing delays.
If Porter or Volaris are running delayed they tie up a international gate for over a hour or more for anyone else that arrives because they have to wait for Porter or Volaris to board the outbound departure using the same gate.
WN has had to put MDW international plans on hold at MDW until the Airport fixes the Delayed bottle neck at the 3 international gates.

So yes in short Porter will have to Dump and Tow a few hundred feet.
Or Until Toronto City becomes US Preclearance.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

irelayer

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:38 am

Quoting steex (Reply 20):
I'd prefer to see a Dunkin Donuts, but to each his/her own. More critically, someone needs to work out a way to get Portillo's into the airports.

Yes! The beef options at MDW are limited to "Gold Coast Dogs" and it was atrocious (though better than nothing). Plus Portillo's makes a mean burger and an even meaner Polish...I'm salivating just thinking about it.

-IR

Beardown91737

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 am

Monday Aug 3 Gold Coast was "out of beef" at around 7:45 PM. Not a good thing for those of us who no longer live in the area and want a last bite of a local favorite.

I did get a Char Dog.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos