Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

JetBlue At TPA,any New Flights Planned?

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:04 am

I have been studying JetBlue at Tampa and they have flights to BOS,BDL,JFK,LGA,EWR,DCA and SJU.
Tampa does not appear to be as much of a focus city in Florida like MCO and FLL are.My question is Do you think
there might be a chance JetBlue will add TPA-PHL/BWI or the possibility service to the west coast or Mexico or the
Caribbean?

MesaFlyGuy

RE: JetBlue At TPA,any New Flights Planned?

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:14 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
they have flights to BOS,BDL,JFK,LGA,EWR,DCA and SJU.

And HPN and, seasonally, HAV and SNU.

lpdal

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:26 am

I wish JetBlue would add FLL-TPA. FLL-JAX was a start, now let's add some more IntraFloridian flights.

I know South Florida to Tampa already has several carriers on it, but an E190 up to TPA would be nice for a change.

-LPDAL

doulasc
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:33 am

How about a JetBlue Express operation using regional jets like American Eagle is to American Airlines?

usairways85

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:35 am

With F9 seemingly going all in on PHL-Florida (6 daily flights to 4 destinations), unless WN retreats even futher, I don't think B6 will make a go at anything other than FLL.

lpdal

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:49 am

Quoting doulasc (Reply 3):
How about a JetBlue Express operation using regional jets like American Eagle is to American Airlines?

That only really works with models like the US3, while it doesn't make sense for carriers like WN, B6, NK, or G4. As I remember it, AirTran at one point had an operation had AirTran Jetconnect to serve smaller markets or segments that were too little in demand for the 717, operated by ZW CRJ-200s. It didn't last more than a year before being folded.

There also might be problems with the pilot contract if they tried to do that, but I'm not completely sure.

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 4):
With F9 seemingly going all in on PHL-Florida (6 daily flights to 4 destinations)

Not sure if F9 is a real threat, they seem to be standing on wobbly legs. Every time I write about them it seems I have to mark it with "as of this writing" as the fact is I can go to an airport and see an F9 counter, look away, and it will be gone a few moments later.

-LPDAL

BTVB6Flyer

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:55 am

I would have expected a FLL flight, especially after JAX. Down the line, maybe a token Caribbean flight, or a West Coast flight, but other than that, I would venture to guess future expansion will from in the form of NE routes.

rtalk25

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 5):
Not sure if F9 is a real threat, they seem to be standing on wobbly legs. Every time I write about them it seems I have to mark it with "as of this writing" as the fact is I can go to an airport and see an F9 counter, look away, and it will be gone a few moments later.

Frontier has increased frequency on PHL-MCO with the extension, and it has commitment for the A321 usage on PHL-MCO and addition of a new route, PHL-RSW. Plus it's served the market customers through TTN/ILG bracketing from before. So, I think it's pleased with the PHL region customers and route performance, unlike IAD-Florida.

I don't agree it's on wobbly legs because of Indigo ownership. I wouldn't call F9 a threat, but it will put a downward pressure on fares. Southwest now has to fare match US and F9 by selling under $70 PHL-MCO tickets at times.

Maybe BWI will be more attractive for B6 for additional Florida routes, since NK hasn't shown interest (maybe yet) on BWI-Florida, and F9 doesn't serve BWI, and B6 could be the alternative for those seeking something different than WN. B6 will be launching BWI-MCO so that already is a step in that direction. Plus, it could be viewed as complementary to DCA-Florida which B6 is already on.

Another market might be PIT. While not along the I-95 eastern US, PIT is still eastern US and B6 is already there. NK is out at LBE and F9 is missing in action, which would mean only WN competition directly. But it might consider PIT-MCO before PIT-TPA. It similarly services PVD where it competes with WN, but only competes with it on MCO/FLL and not TPA.

oflanigan

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:20 am

Quoting rtalk25 (Reply 7):

Don't forget Tampa Bays other airport. Allegiant does PIT-PIE.

cessna53996

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Quoting BTVB6Flyer (Reply 6):

I would have expected a FLL flight, especially after JAX. Down the line, maybe a token Caribbean flight, or a West Coast flight, but other than that, I would venture to guess future expansion will from in the form of NE routes.

I agree with you, I expect a FLL-TPA route relatively soon given the presumed success of FLL-JAX. I've checked those flights several times and they were charging some pretty hefty prices since the planes were pretty full.

Also, I'd expect some additional growth into New England. Boston will be seeing more frequencies, according to a press release a couple months ago. I think BDL could see an additional frequency, PVD could see one daily flight, and possibly ORH but that would be a long shot.

A couple years down the line, I could also see A321s put on flights from JFK. Once Cuba opens up, TPA may be one of B6's gateways to SNU and HAV.

JetBlueCLT

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I flew JAX-FLL-JAX for the first time a few weeks ago. I was amazed how packed the flights were. Obviously full flights doesn't mean the route is up to par with JetBlue standards. My ticket was 34$ each way which was steal. I'm not sure how many of those were sold. I checked the fares leading up to that day and last minute fares were dirt cheap at 121$... Maybe it was just a rare occasion for that.

With that being said, I expect JetBlue to start for intra-Floridian flying to FLL. Would provide a great feed for flights going out of FLL to the Caribbean, Mexico, South America etc...

jetbluefan1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting BTVB6Flyer (Reply 6):

I definitely expect FLL - 3x on the E190 would be a perfect way to feed the growing FLL-Caribbean/LatAm operation.

TPA-Caribbean nonstop has been hit or miss for B6. TPA-CUN was flown awhile back but discontinued because of low yields and low fares. TPA-SJU seems to be a success though. Adding TPA-FLL, and seeing the traffic flows to Caribbean/LatAm markets, would be a good way for B6 to evaluate the feasibility of non-stop TPA flights.

Quoting cessna53996 (Reply 9):
Also, I'd expect some additional growth into New England. Boston will be seeing more frequencies, according to a press release a couple months ago. I think BDL could see an additional frequency, PVD could see one daily flight, and possibly ORH but that would be a long shot.

The issue with BDL-TPA is that it is quite low-yielding (same thing with DCA-TPA). TPA in general is not as high yielding as MCO or FLL. I think this is the biggest reason we have seen B6 plateau at TPA. It doesn't have the same tourism appeal as MCO, and the beaches are not as nice as South Florida (although, I say this as a biased New Yorker).

Quoting cessna53996 (Reply 9):
A couple years down the line, I could also see A321s put on flights from JFK. Once Cuba opens up, TPA may be one of B6's gateways to SNU and HAV.

B6 routinely flies the A321 on JFK-MCO/FLL/PBI, so adding it to JFK-TPA seems like a natural fit.

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 10):
With that being said, I expect JetBlue to start for intra-Floridian flying to FLL. Would provide a great feed for flights going out of FLL to the Caribbean, Mexico, South America etc...

Agreed. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen FLL-MCO yet. FLL-JAX is quite successful, from what I've observed.

spinkid

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 11):
Agreed. Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen FLL-MCO yet. FLL-JAX is quite successful, from what I've observed.

FLL-MCO is a driveable option for most, FLL-JAX and FLL-TPA are more likely to be flown. FLL-MCO would most likely only feeed connections on either end.

jetbluefan1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 12):
FLL-MCO would most likely only feeed connections on either end.

Yep - this will definitely not be O&D focused. But I would think with B6's ever-growing FLL-LatAm network, MCO would be a major feed contributor.

TVNWZ

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:37 pm

I believe they are also used by the Cuba charter companies TPA-HAV. Would not be surprised to see that route in the future.

lpdal

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:57 pm

FLL-MCO is a driveable option for most,

There's actually pretty heavy demand for South Florida to Orlando, AA runs a daily 767 on the 30-minute MIA-MCO-MIA flight and the other ones are a combination of 738/752/321.

3M runs multiple daily flights on FLL-MCO-FLL, and NK runs a few on FLL-MCO-FLL as well.

Clearly, there is demand.

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 11):
and the beaches are not as nice as South Florida

I live in FLL and I can clearly say that Tampa's beaches are much nicer, especially a bit more south near SRQ. Our beaches are trash.

-LPDAL

747d10

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 15):
Quote:
I live in FLL and I can clearly say that Tampa's beaches are much nicer, especially a bit more south near SRQ.

And yet poor SRQ remains the red-haired stepchild airport on the west coast.

n92r03

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 pm

What about the routes like WN flies, TPA-FLL-PVD, etc? They get a intra-Florida route on the way to/from the northeast. With good turns, these won't add too much time to the flights and they could be direct, albeit not non-stop. I would rather go TPA-JAX-BDL/PVD, etc, vs TPA-PHL-BDL/PVD.

varsity

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting doulasc (Reply 3):
Quoting LPDAL (Reply 2):
I wish JetBlue would add FLL-TPA. FLL-JAX was a start, now let's add some more IntraFloridian flights.

I thought this was the point of the relationship with 3M? Does anybody know if that is working?

floridaflyboy

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 5):
Not sure if F9 is a real threat, they seem to be standing on wobbly legs.

Lol. Hardly. F9 is making money, growing their Airbus fleet and expanding their network. They have very low tolerance for underperforming routes, but markets like PHL-Florida and CLE-Florida have been holding their own and growing lately. in fact, both markets will hold the inaugural A321 routes.

727LOVER

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Quoting 747d10 (Reply 16):
And yet poor SRQ remains the red-haired stepchild airport on the west coast.

Because this stupid airport won't reduce it's fees. I've heard they are double that of TPA and PIE. Also, I've heard that SRQ is a little more high-yielding than TPA....so who knows.

I'm not sure red-hair is a bad thing.  

avi8

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 20):
SRQ

SRQ is also smaller than TPA, a lot smaller.

727LOVER

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 21):
SRQ is also smaller than TPA, a lot smaller.

Um yeah...I've lived in this area for over 40 years...yeah, I know that. But you know what? It was much smaller 30 years ago as well. What's your point, exactly? I've no envisions that SRQ is going to have the same service level as TPA

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 22):
Um yeah...I've lived in this area for over 40 years...yeah, I know that. But you know what? It was much smaller 30 years ago as well. What's your point, exactly? I've no envisions that SRQ is going to have the same service level as TPA

You seem to be getting very defensive. I don't think anyone's trying to pick arguments with you or anything.  

csavel

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:53 pm

FLL-MCO is a driveable option for most, FLL-JAX and FLL-TPA are more likely to be flown. FLL-MCO would most likely only feeed connections on either end.

Why would FLL-TPA be any less driveable than FLL-MCO? As the crow flies it might be closer (I don't know for sure) but driving-wise FLL-MCO is an hour shorter, Turnpike serves Orlando better than Tampa. But, be that as it may, it's not like FLL to Jax. and you'd have to rent a car at one end so even given the extra hour, who would fly from Tampa to FLL? I just don't see a market. Tourists but even then, it would be easier to drive a rental than rent at one end, give it up, rent at another end, give it up.