Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Coal
Topic Author

Airlines Without National Flag On Their Planes

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:54 am

Browsing some pics of CX aircraft on the DB, I noticed they have their corporate logo/flag of Swire, but they don't have a flag of Hong Kong or China on the plane. I looked a bit further, and neither do the main carriers of Taiwan (CI, BR) have either the Taiwanese or Chinese flag, or even most of the major airlines in China (MU, CZ). Only CA have the Chinese flag on their planes, and it seems it is more part of their standard livery than anything else, as the CA special livery aircraft don't have the Chinese flag.

If I remember correctly, pretty much every airline in the world seems to have their national flag (or sometimes the flag of where the plan is registered) on their a/c.

Is this unique to carriers from Greater China (e.g. PRC, HK and Macau SAR, and Taiwan)?

Rgds
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Coal
Topic Author

RE: Airlines Without National Flag On Their Planes

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:59 am

Incidentally, at least one CA A330 in the standard livery seems to have had its flag purposefully removed:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Air Sheep
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jjss

Rgds
Coal

briguychau

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:18 am

None of Hong Kong's airlines have the HKSAR flag on their aircraft. Also, I think Taiwanese carriers don't carry the ROC flag because of pressure from the PRC.

Interestingly, as the flag carrier of Canada, Air Canada doesn't paint the Canadian flag on its fuselage (although one can argue the tail logo is one big flag). Similarly, British Airways just has the stylized Union Flag on the tail, as does Air France with the Tricolore.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 am

Air NZ used to have a flag next to the registration number but that's gone in their latest livery.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-N...-Zealand/Boeing-777-319-ER/2680849
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-N...-Zealand/Boeing-777-319-ER/2683791

Mortyman

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:36 am

Norwegian Air Shuttle / Norwegian longhaul don't have it.

SAS has something that recembles the Norwegian, Swedish and Danish flag, but not really. It's more like an artistic rendering of them ...

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:42 am

Neither British Airways nor Virgin Atlantic have the British flag, at least not in the conventional sense next to the registration.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

LTU932

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 am

AFAIK, all aircraft registered in Germany are required to bear the German flag somewhere. In fact, EW is the only airline to have both the German and the EU flag next to their registration. No other German airline, not even LH, does that.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:58 am

LO is another example of an airline that does not carry any flag on their planes, altough under the tail there is something like a red stripe. With a little imagination you can make out the Polish flag (white-red).

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:59 am

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 8):
LO is another example of an airline that does not carry any flag on their planes, altough under the tail there is something like a red stripe. With a little imagination you can make out the Polish flag (white-red).

It seems like the link for LO doesn't work, but of course it stands for LOT Polish Airlines.

PhoenixVIP

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):

CA is the official flag carrier of China and thus is only airline in China that can fly with the Chinese flag. It has been incorporated as part of their livery, including those with special colour schemes. Part of the fleet have had this purposely removed for flights to Taiwan as this is the existing agreement between China and Taiwan that their national flags are not to be displayed for Taiwan straits flights. All of Air China's international fleet of A330-200s (bar four special liveried ones), A330-300, and all 77Ws and 748s have the Chinese flag. Those without the flag are from the domestic fleet. Reason why there are four international birds without the flag is because they were removed or painted very early on before enough of the fleet existed for an efficient Taiwan straits flight that could change aircraft at any moment.

CX and KA despite being "flag" carriers of Hong Kong do not fly with the flag, and now being part of China means that only CA has the flag privilege.
Inspire the truth.

lhrnue

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 6):
Neither British Airways nor Virgin Atlantic have the British flag, at least not in the conventional sense next to the registration.

That is actually a surprise with all the pomp and circumstance around the union jack in GREAT Britain.

Mortyman

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:25 pm

Miss the good old days ... With national pride, cheatlines and if you were Luck ... you could fly the Boeing 767 domestically in Norway ... Good times ... Sadly no longer ...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kjell Nilsson

[Edited 2015-08-09 10:30:36]

bendewire

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 pm

We in the UK appear to be embarrassed about flying the Union Flag, but glad to say Thomson Airways proudly display the Union Flag alongside the fuselage registration number, despite German ownership!!!

egph

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Isn't Ryanair really a Europe wide airline these days which still flies the Irish tricolour on all its planes?

YLWbased

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:48 am

Quoting PhoenixVIP (Reply 13):
CX and KA despite being "flag" carriers of Hong Kong do not fly with the flag, and now being part of China means that only CA has the flag privilege.

You do realize that Hong Kong has its separate flag right? It is ugly as hell and communist looking, but we do have our own flag. And since HK is an independent entity to ICAO with its own air space and immigration regulation, China Flag has nothing to with the SAR what-so-ever. The reason why no airlines in HKG is wearing the SAR flag is simple: not part of the tradition, not CX nor KA worn the HK colonial flag prior to the handover, hence no such practice carry forward after 1997.

However, every HKG registered commercial aircraft is carrying the "Hong Kong, Asia's World City" logo on the fuselage to promote Hong Kong's identity.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

747WanSui

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:05 am

China Airlines used to feature the ROC flag on its livery, but it was removed when the livery was redesigned in the mid-1990s. By that time, CI had been banned from flying to many countries with diplomatic relations with the mainland, so the redesigned livery without the flag certainly seems to have eased that pressure a lot.
Long live the Boeing 747!

gatibosgru

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 am

Couldn't find any flags on LAN's aircrafts
@DadCelo

rbavfan

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:19 am

CX and CA are in autonomous regions that are exerting their freedom & rights they have always had until China gained back the nations from GB. Most Chinese cannot get a VISA to Hong Kong or Taiwan because the Government in China does not want mainland Chinese to see how many freedoms they have. As I understand its a tight rope and China does not allow their flag on the carriers planes because they will not conform. China Airlines just recently were allowed to add "Taiwan" to their planes.

anonms

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:49 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 29):

CX and CA are in autonomous regions that are exerting their freedom & rights they have always had until China gained back the nations from GB. Most Chinese cannot get a VISA to Hong Kong or Taiwan because the Government in China does not want mainland Chinese to see how many freedoms they have. As I understand its a tight rope and China does not allow their flag on the carriers planes because they will not conform. China Airlines just recently were allowed to add "Taiwan" to their planes.

CA is the flag carrier for the PRC. It's not located in an autonomous region.

Chinese citizens can't get a visa to enter Hong Kong or Taiwan because such visas don't exist: the PRC issues permits for the former and the ROC issues permits for the latter.

Specifically, Tigerair Taiwan has "Taiwan" on their planes, which doesn't really have anything to do with PRC/ROC relations.
This is my signature.

PhoenixVIP

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 25):
You do realize that Hong Kong has its separate flag right? It is ugly as hell and communist looking, but we do have our own flag. And since HK is an independent entity to ICAO with its own air space and immigration regulation, China Flag has nothing to with the SAR what-so-ever. The reason why no airlines in HKG is wearing the SAR flag is simple: not part of the tradition, not CX nor KA worn the HK colonial flag prior to the handover, hence no such practice carry forward after 1997.

Would be nothing wrong with flying the flag as part of a new design overhaul etc but the simple fact is that Hong Kong is part of China since 1997 and therefore cannot fly the Chinese flag (or HK flag) as that is CA's role. Politics aside, I don't see any issue with the Chinese airlines using the flag anyway. By the way the Chinese flag flies high at politics buildings and bureaus etc. Autonomous regions but one country.  
Quoting rbavfan (Reply 29):
CX and CA are in autonomous regions that are exerting their freedom & rights they have always had until China gained back the nations from GB. Most Chinese cannot get a VISA to Hong Kong or Taiwan because the Government in China does not want mainland Chinese to see how many freedoms they have. As I understand its a tight rope and China does not allow their flag on the carriers planes because they will not conform

A lot of nonsense here but I rather not get into a political debate about Taiwan, China and HK. Let's get back to the topic about flags on airliners.
Inspire the truth.

brilondon

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
The 717s don't fly outside the State of Hawaii.

They are still technically part of the United States last time I checked so I don't know why the would not have it.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):

AFAIK, all aircraft registered in Germany are required to bear the German flag somewhere. In fact, EW is the only airline to have both the German and the EU flag next to their registration. No other German airline, not even LH, does that.

I remember seeing a picture on here of an AA A321(?) with the German flag on the tail during a test flight. Looked pretty funny.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

XAM2175

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:45 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 20):
They are still technically part of the United States last time I checked so I don't know why the would not have it.

AFAIK Australia only requires the display of the flag on aircraft that leave Australian airspace, so it's probably the same for HA. If it were me though I'd just put them on anyway - it's not like it's hugely difficult or expensive to do so.

In fact I also seem to recall hearing that light aircraft in Australia don't even have to display the "VH-" registration prefix if they don't leave the country.

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:01 am

For whatever reason my post got deleted, but I was bringing attention to the fact that some (I think the A330s and 763s) of HA aircraft have the Hawaiian flag (Union Jack and all) next to the door.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Berkaviation photos
View Large View Medium

Photo © Lance C Broad - YBBN Spotters Group

I believe this is the only airline in the US to use a state flag as well as the US flag.

Rgds
Coal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos