laxmia
Topic Author

DL Test Gates In ATL (B5 / B7)

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:21 am

Apologies if this is a duplicate post - did a search and couldn't find anything on this.

Just flew through ATL today and was at what DL is calling a 'test gate.' Gates B5 and B7 have been reconfigured with a new layout that seems to be DL's attempt to organize the boarding process better. Below is what I noticed, and would be interested on what others thought:

New boarding lanes so people queue with their boarding group

The lanes have overhead digital signs that show where various boarding groups should line up. B7 uses colored carpet to denote the lanes, while B5 used rope separators. The colored carpet seemed to work much better, as the rope separators made it difficult for passengers to move around.

The whole thing felt a little like WN, but not quite as cattle car. UA does something similar in LAX with dedicated lanes by boarding group, but they use ropes and flimsy plastic signs. The DL experience felt much more premium.

From what I saw, this was generally successful. The amount of "gate lice" was pretty much eliminated as even the most oblivious passengers realized they probably shouldn't be standing in a line for SKY or PREM when their in Group 3. The major problem is the lanes are placed against the wall and are hemmed in by the gate seating. This made getting around the gate area very difficult for people once the lines started to form. Reducing or reconfiguring the seating is going to be important.

New gate counters

The new counters felt a lot like VX. Low counter height, smaller surface area, and agents easily accessible. The counters are all white and have blue LED accent lighting - almost like the new LAX premium check-in area. These felt far more modern.

New gate displays

Giant digital screen above the gate counter made it easy to read all the pertinent flight details. The only problem was the information screens that cycle between upgrade and standby lists are hard to find and very small. If they improved these as much as the behind-counter screen, it would be a huge win.

New gate artwork

Really minor, but the wall art at the gate caught my attention since it was in color, instead of the usual black and white. It was warm and inviting, but didn't feel as uniquely Delta as the newspaper-esque type photography they typically use. Perhaps a new direction for the brand, but would be a move towards the mainstream in my opinion.

Overall I am happy to see Delta trying new things to improve the boarding experience. The biggest pain about boarding usually is trying to get around those people in Group 2 or Group 3 who feel the need to crowd the gate as soon as the pre-board announcement is made in fears they'll be left behind. If they can iron out some of the kinks (namely, the seating causing crowding), this could be a welcome change.

swacle

RE: DL Test Gates In ATL (B5 / B7)

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:10 am

I love how WN still gets called the "Cattle Car." In the last 12 months I have flown WN, US, AA, DL, and F9. WN's boarding processnis by far the least "Cattle Car" of the bunch. The WN of old, before the numbered positions, was generally a charlie foxtrot, I will be the first to admit, but now I fail to see what is so bad abour WN's boarding process let alone what would make it a catrle call by comparison.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

MSPNWA

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:43 am

Sounds like they're testing a page out of UA's book. I think the group lanes help, but it doesn't eliminate the gate lice. WN's system is still the best by far. It always frustrated me to buy first class on DL and have to push my way through a crowd to board. Just sit down, people.

Quoting laxmia (Thread starter):
UA does something similar in LAX with dedicated lanes by boarding group, but they use ropes and flimsy plastic signs. The DL experience felt much more premium.

I see that at pretty much every UA gate.

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:58 am

The UA system of 5 dedicated lanes is nice .... even when boarding group 3, a late group 1 pax can walk right up group 1 lane and have priority boarding without others thinking he's cutting the line and giving him the evil eye

without dedicated lanes, the gate lice just clog the area and slow everyone down. With the lanes, the group 5'ers know where they belong and won't be intruding into the priority lanes.

threeifbyair

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:03 am

Quoting swacle (Reply 1):
I love how WN still gets called the "Cattle Car." In the last 12 months I have flown WN, US, AA, DL, and F9. WN's boarding processnis by far the least "Cattle Car" of the bunch. The WN of old, before the numbered positions, was generally a charlie foxtrot, I will be the first to admit, but now I fail to see what is so bad abour WN's boarding process let alone what would make it a catrle call by comparison.

+1

Numbering removes a lot of the gate lice problems. Even with status on AS now, my occasional WN flights have had the easiest boarding experiences by far.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 2):
It always frustrated me to buy first class on DL and have to push my way through a crowd to board. Just sit down, people.

Seriously. I've had people accuse me of not being in F, while they camp in the elite lane waiting to snag that premium seat back in row 29.

B4REAL

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:23 am

Unrelated, but what is the heavy work going on at B18 (or is it B20)? There has for a while been some heavy equipment - cranes, drilling, etc. there and the gate has been closed for at least a few months.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

AA737-823

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:24 am

The lanes have overhead digital signs that show where various boarding groups should line up.

What a waste of perfectly good electricity.

United's system works fine. If people won't obey signage, they won't obey zombie screens.

N353SK

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 2):
I think the group lanes help, but it doesn't eliminate the gate lice.

If anything the lanes encourage gate lice.

rta

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:36 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

The UA system of 5 dedicated lanes is nice .... even when boarding group 3, a late group 1 pax can walk right up group 1 lane and have priority boarding without others thinking he's cutting the line and giving him the evil eye

without dedicated lanes, the gate lice just clog the area and slow everyone down. With the lanes, the group 5'ers know where they belong and won't be intruding into the priority lanes.

This is something I miss about flying on UA. The boarding process was very good.

strfyr51

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:43 am

Gate Lice?? That's a bit Harsh isn't it??

ericm2031

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 am

The only problem with the dedicated lanes of UA is that the lines get so long and the gate areas are so crowded that by the time the line gets out of the stanchions, nobody knows where to stand and it's just a huge cluster of people. Also, people start lining up way before it's ready to board because the groups are so large and everyone knows they're going to be fighting for overhead space even when they're in group 3.

WN's system is simple, yet it seems to board the fastest and is the least chaotic. People generally know they can sit until their group is called because they'll be within the 5 people between the poles no matter when they get in line. Yes, you have to have human interactions with people around you to make sure you're in the general area,

I haven't yet seen WN's dual door boarding, but I heard it is shaving even more time off the boarding process.

glbltrvlr

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:48 am

Quoting ericm2031 (Reply 10):
I haven't yet seen WN's dual door boarding, but I heard it is shaving even more time off the boarding process.

What's this? I recall WN testing an over the wing dual jetway a few years ago. Are they resurrecting that? Or are you referring to the airports like San Jose where they use two ramp stairs?

ckfred

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:53 am

I was just at LHR, flying out on BA. I noticed lanes at the gate, but here is the problem I saw.

They called F, J, BA elites and One World elites all together. That wound up being about half of the people in the gate trying to board the plane. The line got backed up, because there was only 1 boarding pass scanner for a 777-300, and a second agent was checking passports. It backed up again in the jet bridge, even though F board through L1 and all others boarded through L2.

AA's boarding process has issues in terms of how people line up. There is the priority lane and the non-priority lane. So, the priority line can become clogged, as well as passengers in Group 1 and later trying to gauge when to get into the non-priority lane.

But, whether it's a 777-200 to Europe or an Embrear 175 flying to ATL, the process is basically the same:

1. F (if there is an F cabin)
2. J (if there is a J cabin)
3. Ex Plat and Plat
4. Gold and anyone with priority access on the boarding pass
5. Group 1, followed by Groups, 2, 3, etc.

Uniformed military personnel board with the first premium cabin that is called to board.

Boarding of the elites in Y might vary a bit, depending on the number of passengers at each level. I've seen Ex Plat, Plat, and Gold called separately, and some times Ex Plat, Plat, and Gold are called as one group.

So, if the passengers who board ahead of Group 1 are half or more of the plane, the AA process does spread out the F, J, and elites instead of the huge group that BA can have.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24 am

Took pictures this morning. I'll post when I get on a pic.
What gets measured gets done.

mark2fly1034

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:13 am

That gate area have been test gates for probably two years now, rather it is new furniture or new podiums these two gates always seem different every time I walk by them. If you notice they also have brighter lights (maybe LEDs) compared to the gates across the hall. I do know one of the T gates where a test gate for a while with the "you scan your boarding pass and the gate opens" thingy.

xdlx

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 9):

Actually ... That is a very good description.....

ordbosewr

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 pm

I would say that all the airlines have a few gates at various hubs that serve the purpose as 'concept' gates.
for example, I recall UA has had them at ORD for years, dating back to the addition of the overhead displays and displays behind the podium. They also had them at IAH for automated boarding.

I will admit I like the lanes that UA and WN have for different reasons. They are different, but serve the purpose they need to for each. I would say the biggest challenge with the lanes is the space they need to be effective, they work at some gates but others they are a nightmare.

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 9):

Gate Lice?? That's a bit Harsh isn't it??
Quoting xdlx (Reply 16):
Actually ... That is a very good description.....

To be fair though, the only reason I need to be a "gate lice" on DL is my carry-on bag... If you are in Zone 3 or as I call it, Skyminority, theres a good chance your rollaboard bag is not getting on, so you best believe im going to hang out around the gate to ensure that it does.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 18):

To be fair though, the only reason I need to be a "gate lice" on DL is my carry-on bag... If you are in Zone 3 or as I call it, Skyminority, theres a good chance your rollaboard bag is not getting on, so you best believe im going to hang out around the gate to ensure that it does.

It's actually not hard to attain Zone 1/2 even with no status and no cobrand card .... you just have to be strategic with your seat assignment choices (assuming you've booked early enough to have a reasonably open seat map to pick from)

i have completely zero DL or skyteam status, and don't have their cobrand card, and managed to score Zone 1 in the last 3 flights I've flown on them.

But back to the topic of "gate lice" - FFs call them that way (and so do I) is because when the premium cabin or elites navigate through the crowds to go to the boarding gate, the kettles think you're cheating and cutting the line and give you awkward stares, when in fact the premium cabin and elites are fully entitled to their early boarding.

stxbohn

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:49 pm

To me, if any airline wanted to do a numerical line-up like Southwest, they could based on seat assignments, grouped reservations, elite access/priority. Might not be perfect with all the seat assignment changes, but 24 hrs out when check-in starts, make a best guess. Do a 4 line setup where First/Business Class/Top Tier FF have a non-numbered line and can go through whenever, then an elite access/priority boarding line that is numbered, and two general boarding lines that follow the Southwest numbering theme that can be refilled.

ams747757

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

without dedicated lanes, the gate lice just clog the area and slow everyone down. With the lanes, the group 5'ers know where they belong and won't be intruding into the priority lanes

I've found UA's boarding process to be pretty organized. I can't comment on DL, but LH's boarding process for Y is terrible, especially when boarding a 747 (A380 must be even worse), as the Y pax will just begin lining up before boarding has even been called for 1st and Business.

bcoz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:18 pm

The only problem with the dedicated lanes of UA is that the lines get so long and the gate areas are so crowded that by the time the line gets out of the stanchions, nobody knows where to stand and it's just a huge cluster of people. Also, people start lining up way before it's ready to board because the groups are so large and everyone knows they're going to be fighting for overhead space even when they're in group 3.

WN's system is simple, yet it seems to board the fastest and is the least chaotic. People generally know they can sit until their group is called because they'll be within the 5 people between the poles no matter when they get in line. Yes, you have to have human interactions with people around you to make sure you're in the general area,

One of the problems I've seen with UA's boarding process (at least on Concourses B and C at ORD) is that the lines get so long and tend to spill out of the gate area itself and into the "thru-traffic" area of the concourse. I was boarding a flight at C11 (I think) recently and the line stretched across the complete width of the "thru-traffic" area and even made it difficult to duck into the men's room opposite the gate.

As for WN's dual door boarding... I experienced that at BUR last year. Was easy, quick and, I bet, helped get the turn accomplished faster.

intotheair

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 22):
One of the problems I've seen with UA's boarding process (at least on Concourses B and C at ORD) is that the lines get so long and tend to spill out of the gate area itself and into the "thru-traffic" area of the concourse. I was boarding a flight at C11 (I think) recently and the line stretched across the complete width of the "thru-traffic" area and even made it difficult to duck into the men's room opposite the gate.

Yes, in my experience, the new UA five lane boarding process is really terrible and dehumanizing. Every board group except for perhaps Group 5 will have lice already lined up more than 5 minutes before boarding even begins. It used to not be this bad when UA only had two lanes. I now feel like I have to line up early and become a gate lice if I want to ensure that I can board on time with the right boarding group. And the lines go way out into the concourse walkways and block traffic, especially at DEN.

It also doesn't help that UA gives "priority" Group 2 boarding to anyone with an Explorer card, which is a ridiculous amount of people.

I honestly can't believe UA has stuck with these cattle pens for so long. It's not as ridiculous as when there used to be ~9 boarding groups around post-merger, but the pre-merger system with two lanes and seating 1, 2, 3, and 4 was best.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:25 pm

In 2015 southwest is no question one of the best products for customers that not my opinion thats a fact based on pretty much every customer survey taken. I get on the plane faster, get off faster and dont see people fighting over bin space. The bin space can actually be used what it was designed for on southwest backpacks, jackets, shopping bags etc and small overnight bags. The flight attendants dont have to play bag sheriff and can focus on safety and comfort.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:45 pm

From my experience half the crowd at gates for DL is people thinking that Zone 1 actually means the first zone boarded not the actual 4th zone or whatever it is. If they just made SKY/PREM/C+/CELEB/ENTITLEDBUSINESSGUY all Zone 1, Zone 2 and so on I think some of the crowding and confusion would be alleviated.

The swanky podiums and new screens are nice, but its more brand than substance. Pretty much anything I need to do pre flight I use the app though.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 24):

Pretty much everyone universally understands that I have a letter and a number and that is where I board. That makes things far smoother overall. I have been on a fair share of WN routes that require gate checking for the last few people, but the difference from what I have observed is that the boarding process is so much faster that the flight doesn't take a delay.

phllax

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:57 pm

As someone who flies WN out of Burbank regularly, they can complete the boarding process within 10 minutes, including wheelchairs and family boarding, using both 1L and 2L.

What helps is that with the exception of the DEN flight, everything else is just about an hour, so where you sit really isn't that important. If you really want a drink on the LAS flight, sit at the front of the zones.

laxmia
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:58 pm

I fail to see what is so bad abour WN's boarding process let alone what would make it a catrle call by comparison.

Very fair point. No disrespect meant to WN and shouldn't have used that term. I am the first to say their boarding process is among the most orderly. And since the introduction of numbers along with zones, it has all but eliminated the stampede. Just an old colloquialism from my time in Dallas creeping into the description.

Polot

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting bcoz (Reply 22):

That is pretty common with all the airlines except WN in narrow terminals. Seen it with Pre-merger UA at IAD, DL at ATL etc. How out of control it gets depends on how vigilant nearby/passing employees are on getting people to curve into the gate area.

[Edited 2015-08-13 11:35:51]

afcjets

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Back in the 1970s and 1980s and even early 1990s, premium passengers usually preferred to board last. I always waited for the last call before boarding any flight, regardless of cabin, unless it was an aircraft I really wanted to fly like the A300 and L1011 for the first time. Airports were less crowded and more pleasant back then, and overhead space was usually not an issue. I still find it ironic that everyone wants to get on a cramped sold out airplane even if they are not worried about overhead space as soon as possible. I still love getting on, having the door close behind me, and pushing back.

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting intotheair (Reply 23):
It's not as ridiculous as when there used to be ~9 boarding groups around post-merger,
Quoting afcjets (Reply 29):
Back in the 1970s and 1980s and even early 1990s, premium passengers usually preferred to board last. I always waited for the last call before boarding any flight, regardless of cabin, unless it was an aircraft I really wanted to fly like the A300 and L1011 for the first time. Airports were less crowded and more pleasant back then, and overhead space was usually not an issue. I still find it ironic that everyone wants to get on a cramped sold out airplane even if they are not worried about overhead space as soon as possible. I still love getting on, having the door close behind me, and pushing back.

I have the exact same sentiments. Regardless of my cabin, if overhead bin is no issue, I'll usually let the stampede occur first and board last at my leisure.

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 28):
How out of control it gets depends on how vigilant nearby/passing employees are on getting people to curve into the gate area.

The same things happens at long lines in a supermarket check out. Some people are simply too dense to figure out that they could bend the line along the wall or along the gate area and keep the hallways clear for other people that want to get by. I've gone so far as to "gently coach" the line out of the hallway and low and behold, some lice walks up and joins the line right where the curve started...thinking the rest of us were no longer in line.

The rope lines the airlines use in the ticketing lobby would be very handy in keeping the boarding lines more in control.

They're probably all relatives of the lice that try to board a subway car as soon as the doors open and before the other passengers are able to get off....it just slows down the whole process.

[Edited 2015-08-13 12:24:11]
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 31):
some lice walks up and joins the line right where the curve started...thinking the rest of us were no longer in line.

The rope lines the airlines use in the ticketing lobby would be very handy in keeping the boarding lines more in control.

They're probably all relatives of the lice that try to board a subway car as soon as the doors open and before the other passengers are able to get off....it just slows down the whole process.

well very said. and the worse is when they fake they don't understand english so they can get away with their bad behavior and accuse you of being xenophobic if you dare to inform them that their behavior is out of line.

skymiler

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 pm

I used B5 recently and noticed the lanes and overhead screens -- but since this was a swap after our original Mad Dog went tech the staff seemed to have been caught unawares and there was not much use of the lanes. Luckily on a one for one swap seat assignments do not change, which could have made things a lot more interesting.

As far as the lice are concerned, I like the approach that I have seen the DL gate staff take in BUF -- they sternly announce the procedure and then enforce moving the lice away from the boarding access area -- and all seem to comply, albeit sheepishly, and thus speed up the process.
I love to fly, and it shows!

NWBOS

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 pm

The current problem is in the phraseology used for priority boarding. Premium vs Sky Priority vs Zone 1. Some customers believe they are one in the same. The American Express Gold members think that their perk of priority boarding means first to board. They also feel this entitles them to use the Sky Priority check in counter and Sky Priority security.

Silver Medallions feel they should be included in Sky Priority and they sometimes are if they happen to have a comfort + seat selected (another thing to add to the confusion).

I would be much happier if we took another page out of the UA book and just used zone numbers only. This whole setup is very confusing, and I don't blame the passengers for being confused. I just wish people wouldn't be so cranky when we try to enforce it and explain it to them.

aeromandan

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 pm

ATL B5/B7 Wide
ATL B5/B7
ATL B7 Podium
ATL B7 Lanes

Polot

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:17 pm

I like the design of the podiums and the placement of the widget, but can't help feeling it would look better if it was painted the dark blue they use versus white, at least for the lower podium part.

29erUSA187

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 pm

I was recently on a DL flight from gate B4 (2 days ago), and noticed that B5 was a little different, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. In fact, I was waiting at B5, because it was empty and there were so many unoccupied chairs.

thegoldenargosy

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:48 pm

I think the new UA podiums look a lot better than these. I hope DL goes back to the drawing board.

Sightseer

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting NWBOS (Reply 34):
I would be much happier if we took another page out of the UA book and just used zone numbers only.

Don't be ridiculous. That's way too logical!  
Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 38):
I think the new UA podiums look a lot better than these. I hope DL goes back to the drawing board.

I hope the podiums look better in person. Based on the pictures, I agree with you. They look like they're made of plywood.

A332DTW

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:43 pm

I think the boarding lanes are just about futile in today's age of travel. I have yet to experience a flight where passengers are actually seated when the first group of customers are called to board. As soon as that initial announcement is made everyone flocks to the boarding door. It's stupid, but that's how it is. No matter how you organize the boarding process, you'll still get that rush to the door and lines that extend outside the boarding area. Personally I can't help but scoff when I see this... dozens of open seats and people still prefer to stand around and block traffic.

Kudos to DL for trying something new, though.

FlyBigDeltaJets

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 36):
but can't help feeling it would look better if it was painted the dark blue they use versus white, at least for the lower podium part.

Was thinking exactly the same. The white does not jive with the branding guidelines.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 40):
I think the boarding lanes are just about futile in today's age of travel.

Seems to work pretty well for WN.

aeromandan

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 40):

This whole discussion, but particularly your post, reminds me of this video that JetBlue released about a month ago.

How Not to Board a Flight

[Edited 2015-08-13 16:19:14]

usflyguy

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 11):
What's this? I recall WN testing an over the wing dual jetway a few years ago. Are they resurrecting that? Or are you referring to the airports like San Jose where they use two ramp stairs?
Quoting bcoz (Reply 22):
As for WN's dual door boarding... I experienced that at BUR last year. Was easy, quick and, I bet, helped get the turn accomplished faster.

BUR has almost always been dual boarding via air stairs. ALB has dual boarding bridges which are are still used for dual boarding. WN has started using a jetbridge and air stair combo at SMF, SJC, and a few other airports for certain situations.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

burnsie28

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 am

Really minor, but the wall art at the gate caught my attention since it was in color, instead of the usual black and white.

Delta moved away from black and white about a year ago now.

ericm2031

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:44 am

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 11):

I think it's been answered now a few times that it's been used at BUR for a while, as they ground board everything...I think they can deplane and enplane that way, so that's why they can do 10 minute turns. I know SMF they use the jetbridge for the front and they have stationary stairs right before you go into the jetbridge that lead down to the ramp and to the back door. Sounds like SJC is the same way...I'm sure with them being newer terminals and WN being the main airlines there...they planned that in the design. I believe they board that way, but deplane only using the front...otherwise you have people walking up the stairs with their bags and that's a safety issue.

b727fa

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:18 pm

I think the B5/7 gates are good--and gettinbetter! They did a trial in DTW of the concept in DTW back in 2013. Then they resurrected the concept here with obvious refinements. At the start of the B5/7 expirement they were using flip signs (like down counter in football) and they've since changed it to the electronic signs which tells me they like the results and it's working. The jetways are also being "scented" with the Wastin/SPG aroma which, as much as I love the smell of jet fumes and coffee, is a nice (and noticeable) change! At the end of the jetway there is a QR scan that will link you to a survey about your experience with B5/7. As for the "look" of the counters and "final image" my guess is his is like a rough draft to get the form and function. The "pretty" will come in the final roll-out.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Prost

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Whatever happened to the trial where there was one agent for something 3-4 gates, and there was a glass door at the jet ridge, you inserted your boarding card (like on a subway turnstile) and the door would open for one person?

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Quoting Prost (Reply 47):
Whatever happened to the trial where there was one agent for something 3-4 gates, and there was a glass door at the jet ridge, you inserted your boarding card (like on a subway turnstile) and the door would open for one person?

They briefly tested this on a gate on T-concourse some years back. Not going to lie and tell you that I know what the results were but what I can say is the test only lasted about 6 months.
What gets measured gets done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos