Mortyman
Topic Author

Hilarious Westjet Flight Attendant Safety Demo

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:55 am

Hilarious Westjet Flight Attendant Safety Demo Leaves Passengers In Stitches (VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8VSAeCxc8

kgaiflyer

RE: Hilarious Westjet Flight Attendant Safety Demo

Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:51 pm

I've flown with that FA. I believe he's from Nicaragua.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the francophones aboard who were totally amused.

musapapaya

Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Hilarious Westjet Flight Attendant Safety Demo Leaves Passengers In Stitches (VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8VS...eCxc8

I know it brought lots of laughters but doing a safety demo is a serious thing in nature and should therefore be performed in a professional and standardised way.

I hope that if it all goes pear shaped in any of the flights flown with this employee, he can handle the case in a professional way.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

Scorpio

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting musapapaya (Reply 2):
I know it brought lots of laughters but doing a safety demo is a serious thing in nature and should therefore be performed in a professional and standardised way.

I hope that if it all goes pear shaped in any of the flights flown with this employee, he can handle the case in a professional way.

You know as well as I do that the main reason many people have no idea how to behave and what to do in an emergency is because they weren't paying any attention during the demo, and 4 out of 5 don't pay attention. Here, I'll bet you at least 4 out of 5 WERE paying attention, and they picked up more essential information than they would have had they just kept on reading their newspapers.

As for the suggestion that he wouldn't be able to handle an emergency in a professional way, I see no reason why he would be any less likely not to be able to handle it than any other FA. Especially when compared to an FA who does a standard demo with an obvious expression of utter boredom, as some do.

saloman

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 3):
You know as well as I do that the main reason many people have no idea how to behave and what to do in an emergency is because they weren't paying any attention during the demo, and 4 out of 5 don't pay attention. Here, I'll bet you at least 4 out of 5 WERE paying attention, and they picked up more essential information than they would have had they just kept on reading their newspapers.

Came here to say exactly this. I haven't watched a safety demo in years, and here I am on a saturday morning watching one on youtube!

ro1960

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 3):

I second that. More airlines tend to produce entertaining safety videos more like video clips. This is probably based on the fact that they get more attention.

This one was just posted yesterday:
Air NZ New Safety Video - Men In Black (by Zkpilot Aug 12 2015 in Civil Aviation)
https://youtu.be/ji65WI5QLZI

I'm sure that this FA passed all the tests and certifications necessary so he can handle whatever job he's supposed to do. Adding a little humour to safety demonstration will not make him less responsible and professional.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

pasu129

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Have you not seen NZ's Hobbit safety demo? I bet you 10 out of 10 was paying attention to that! And that is actually what the demo is for, for you to pay attention to that.

As for FA professionalism, I do not doubt he would be able to perform as required.
Viva Las Vegas

lightsaber

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:02 pm

So another safety demo everyone ignores? I picked out nuances of the safety process from these antics. I loved it. I've stopped paying attention to the standardized demonstrations as what is there to learn.

Surprisingly, I found stuff to 're-learn' (I have had evacuation training to be a flight test engineer on prototypes, e.g., how to escape not only the standard exits, but say through the cargo hold and where the hatches are and where to hack with the ax if required. Plus those cable reels in the cockpit and all the ropes...).

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 6):
Have you not seen NZ's Hobbit safety demo? I bet you 10 out of 10 was paying attention to that! And that is actually what the demo is for, for you to pay attention to that.

Exactly. As long as the passengers know what to do, get them to pay attention.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ACD8Y

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Flew with this flight attendant YVR to YYC about 2 months ago. His routine was different, but still hilarious. Definitely the first flight demo I had bothered paying attention to in a while. Glad to see he is still at it!

zrs70

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Safety briefings like this come up every once in a while on a.net. I'm not concerned about the serious nature of the info to be conveyed.

But here's the fact. The first time you see a funny safety demo you laugh really hard.
The second time you chuckled.
The third time you roll your eyes because it's no longer funny and you get annoyed at how catty the whole thing is.

It's fun for an infrequent traveller. But it gets old really quickly.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

32andBelow

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 9):
Safety briefings like this come up every once in a while on a.net. I'm not concerned about the serious nature of the info to be conveyed.

But here's the fact. The first time you see a funny safety demo you laugh really hard.
The second time you chuckled.
The third time you roll your eyes because it's no longer funny and you get annoyed at how catty the whole thing is.

It's fun for an infrequent traveller. But it gets old really quickly.

Well a lot of people on the plane don't fly a lot, and they are also the ones that don't know where the exits are and what not.

aerolimani

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 1):

Indeed. It plays on cultural stereotypes. It's borderline offensive. Sorry to be the party pooper. There's plenty of ways to be funny without mocking a culture.

Whiteguy

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 11):

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 1):

Indeed. It plays on cultural stereotypes. It's borderline offensive. Sorry to be the party pooper. There's plenty of ways to be funny without mocking a culture.

Give me a break, he's not mocking any culture! He did the exact same thing during the English portion of the safety briefing......

pvjin

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:38 pm

I don't think "some people with no sense of humour whatsoever might get offended" is a valid reason not to do something you would otherwise like to do. In my opinion cultural stereotypes are a great source of humour, if somebody gets offended that's entirely their own fault and irrelevant.

Oversensitiveness and political correctness are absolutely the largest threats to democracy and freedom of speech in our time.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

MD95sOverATL

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Should Delta pull their Internet memes, 80's, and Christmas versions of their Safety videos? Southwest frequently adds humor to their safety presentations, should they be forced to stop? They're required to give all of the pertinent information in a clear manner, which I think all of these examples do quite well. I don't speak French, but I clearly understood everything this FA was trying to convey.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 13):
Oversensitiveness and political correctness are absolutely the largest threats to democracy and freedom of speech in our time.

Hear, hear!
EMB120, EMB145, CRJ200, MD88, MD90, 717, 737, 757, 777, A319, A321

kgaiflyer

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Actually, WestJet usually does a safety demonstration in English and then a FA clicks a prerecorded tape for the same instructions in French.

I very much doubt if WS maintains a language lyceum as AC does.

musapapaya

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:33 pm

I think this is one classy safety video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N3J6fE-0JI
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

zrs70

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):
Well a lot of people on the plane don't fly a lot, and they are also the ones that don't know where the exits are and what not.

Well, people who don't fly all that much should not be bored by the usual announcements.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

Whiteguy

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 15):

Actually, WestJet usually does a safety demonstration in English and then a FA clicks a prerecorded tape for the same instructions in French.

I very much doubt if WS maintains a language lyceum as AC does.

There are plenty of French speaking FAs at WS and the demo is done by them if possible. It's a requirement to be French speaking to get hired at WS at the moment. The biggest difference is AC is mandated by law to have a French speaking FA on board, a flight cannot depart without one.

ardian

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 pm

I liked it! Reminded me a bit of Jacques Tati or Mister Bean.

uberflieger

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:02 pm

aerolimani

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:10 pm

In my opinion cultural stereotypes are a great source of humour, if somebody gets offended that's entirely their own fault and irrelevant.

I've got no real problem with humour around cultural stereotypes, assuming it's done well. I just think it belongs in its own venue; that being the world of comedy. If you want to go listen to Russell Peters, then you can choose to do that. However, a public environment, like on a flight, is not the place for it.

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 12):
Give me a break, he's not mocking any culture! He did the exact same thing during the English portion of the safety briefing......

The video doesn't show the english portion, so that can't be verified for the rest of us.

Whiteguy

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 21):

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 12):

The video doesn't show the english portion, so that can't be verified for the rest of us.

So obviously he must be mocking the French.....you can't verify that either!

There are plenty of copies of the video floating around and in most of them the person taking the video explains that she missed the English version and taped the French instead. He did the same routine for both!!! Get over it and lighten up a little......

lightsaber

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:12 am

I want a Monte python skit..
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

777Jet

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:59 am

At least he got the pax attention to begin with, unlike some of the miserable / half asleep looking FAs who look like they'd rather be elsewhere whilst doing the demo  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

christao17

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:18 am

Must have learned his performing skills from the clowns at Cirque du Soleil!
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

aerolimani

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:26 am

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 22):
Get over it and lighten up a little......

Okay… no need to get snappy with me.

Okay, I watched it again, but this time with the sound off. I've changed my mind. Upon second viewing, ignoring the audio track, I don't actually see anything culturally insensitive about it.

You'll have to forgive me, though. Not knowing that he does this for all languages, and when I'd only seen the video of him doing this to the French language version, it came off like he was mocking the French version of the safety demo.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 24):
At least he got the pax attention to begin with, unlike some of the miserable / half asleep looking FAs who look like they'd rather be elsewhere whilst doing the demo

And yes, I'd rather be watching this guy than any other demo I think I've ever seen.

ro1960

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:42 am

I'm sorry but I didn't get the part where it was offensive. I am French. Is it offensive to the French speaking Canadians only ?
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

Ditzyboy

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 21):

Here is another video of this guy doing the safety demo in 2010. It shows him also having fun with the English portion of the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhAbL2zUGg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos