Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PA727
Topic Author

Video: Woman Removed From UA Express Flight

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Saw the below on the Upgrade blog:

http://upgrd.com/matthew/lady-dragge...ing-to-put-dog-in-pet-carrier.html

Not sure where the flight was originating, but she made quite the scene. She seems like a treat. I particularly love that she is going to sue the country.

Is it just me, or does this seem to happen on UA/UA Express more than other airlines? Not implying it's their fault, more a spate of bad luck - or attracting the crazies!   

sandyb123

RE: Video: Woman Removed From UA Express Flight

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Is that homeland security, TSA or police proper?

They weren't hanging about. I'd maybe have given her a few more chances to go of her own accord but who knows the pretext here other than her refusal to put the dog in a carrier, a request which seems fair enough to me.

The blogger and article laughs at this as a joke, but it's more tragic in my eyes at people behave like this over something that seems so trivial. Was she drunk?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

washingtonflyer

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Wonder if that flight involved a segment to FLL or PBI....

karadion

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 1):
police proper?

They are local airport police. TSA or HS doesn't look anything like that.

kurtjeter

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 1):
Is that homeland security, TSA or police proper?

It's not TSA,, they don't have all that stuff hanging on their belts.

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:29 pm

She appeared to me to be intoxicated or under the influence of another substance. But it gives you a good idea of what flight crews have to put up with every day. And, of course, the innocent passengers were delayed and had to witness this. From all of the screaming out on the jetway she does not sound like she is operating in a normal mode.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

nws2002

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Seriously, if a crew member or police officer asks you to step off the aircraft, you better get moving. If you don't, you will be removed one way or another.

alfa164

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 pm

The sense of privilege some people have is amazing...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

rta

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 2):
Wonder if that flight involved a segment to FLL or PBI....

It can't be FLL since its all mainline there.

ArmitageShanks

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 5):
And, of course, the innocent passengers were delayed and had to witness this.

I'd take a 15 minute delay every time if I could witness someone getting dragged off a plane kicking and screaming. Free entertainment!

jtamu97

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:00 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, for those of you wishing to purchase Economy plus, we just had 2 become available. Wow, would be much easier just to comply.
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

phatfarmlines

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:06 am

That screech at the end reminded me of the cat lady from "Clockwork Orange".

usflyer msp

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 7):
The sense of privilege some people have is amazing...

Those were my thoughts as well. She is not drunk or high, she is just a rich, privileged [email protected]#$% that probably gets whatever she wants despite treating everyone else like crap. She probably reacted so badly because she hasn't heard the word "no" in 20 years. I did notice that it took her husband a little while to decide whether he was oing to go with her or not, the poor man...

VC10er

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:20 am

I was very immature of me to have laughed, but I just couldn't help it. For a screaming crazy person I love her language "get off of me you louse!" "I'm going to sue this country!" It was like cursing on TV in the 1950's.

Seriously, she was a sad case. Probably quite mentally ill. Poor thing.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

N62NA

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:37 am

I'm no psychiatrist, but she does seem to be mentally ill. Sorry that the police and flight crew have to deal with such people - they don't get paid nearly enough for having to put up with this stuff.

washingtonflyer

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:30 am

Anyone know where this took place?

777ord

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:45 am

sadly, a regular occurrance in todays world.... Gate agent should have forcibly moved the bulkhead pax to a row behind. Curious to know if this is an emotional service animal or, cabin pet.

Another person who shouldn't be flying regardless, and well, isn't.. G'BYE!!!!!

spinkid

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 am

Well, if we're all playing armchair diagnosis. I go for some sort of dementia or alzheimer's. If she's as old as the man, and had plastic surgery, that could be the case.

There was just something a little too sad about it to make me want to share it on FB.

It is indeed "Free Excitement!"

727LOVER

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:57 am

I laughed...and I don't apologize...sorry.

' YOU'RE BRAKING MY ARM!!! YOU'RE BREAKING MY ARM!!!...HELP!!! HELP!!! "   
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

JETnyc

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:28 am

There were some mental issues with that pax   

coairman

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:03 am

She does seem like a South Florida type on a $68 fare.   lol. No really, she was very arrogant and nuts. It seems lots of people who used to ride on Greyhound are now flying on major airlines. Unfortunately people like her are everywhere and it's very annoying. Every flight I take seems to have at least one very inconsiderate person onboard or at least an annoying situation. From jamming loud nasty music in the headphones, to talking to loudly and excessively, overweight people jamming my personal space, a young boy kicking my seat, a crying baby all flight, to smelling people who smoke a lot or has bad body odor.

The glamor of flying has been gone a long time ago.

[Edited 2015-08-16 21:10:46]
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

rbavfan

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:50 am

Emotional support dogs are not covered by the ADA on airlines. FAA regulations trump it. Helper dogs are allowed as are PTSD dogs for veterans.

karadion

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 21):

You have a citation?

United1

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:11 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 21):

Emotional support dogs are not covered by the ADA on airlines. FAA regulations trump it. Helper dogs are allowed as are PTSD dogs for veterans.

Thought they were covered under the Air Carrier Access Act...and UA, AA and DL all allow emotional support animals onboard with proper documentation.

BTW..AFAIK ADA rules across the board to not apply to airlines...they are covered under a separate act.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/20030509.pdf

Kind of irreverent if it was one or not however (doubt it as they are usually very well trained and are not going to snap or growl..at least not unprovoked) any animal in the cabin service animal or not who snaps or growls at anyone onboard is more than likely going to be put off...calling the F/A a bitch was simply the icing on the cake.

[Edited 2015-08-16 22:13:52]
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

nema

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 am

Quoting phatfarmlines (Reply 11):
That screech at the end reminded me of the cat lady from "Clockwork Orange".

'A Clockwork Orange' ? Blimey that takes us back to almost before time began!   
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

tyler81190

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 am

My two cents on this... People like this fly every day. Being in the airport several days per week, I see the good, bad, and the ugly. I have seen people get arrested for throwing their overweight luggage at other passengers after refusing to pay the extra charges, I have seen people get arrested for verbal assault on airline personnel, but this is the first arrest I have seen involving an animal (and her dog). haha

I hope they make an example of this woman, and give her the full treatment, Felony for not following crew member instructions, $10,000 fine, and hopefully jail time! I also wish (it wouldn't happen) that the airline gave all the passengers who missed their connections her phone number to let her know how well they appreciated it.

On the flip side, I wonder if they upgraded anyone into her seat?

777Jet

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:41 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 18):
' YOU'RE BRAKING MY ARM!!! YOU'RE BREAKING MY ARM!!!...HELP!!! HELP!!! "

The "you're breaking my arm" and the scream heard from 1:55 are gold  
Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 9):
I'd take a 15 minute delay every time if I could witness someone getting dragged off a plane kicking and screaming. Free entertainment!

I'd take a 30 min delay to see that - any day! Jerry Springer material  

BTW - were there one or two animals that got removed from that plane???  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

us330

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:46 am

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 15):
Anyone know where this took place?

According to the Daily Mail (I know, I know), the flight was going from SLC to ORD.

maxamuus

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 am

Well I just hope 2 non-rev pax were still in the gate area =)

VC10er

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:25 pm

When I was very young I had a few jobs where I had to deal with the general population. (That was in the late 1970's)

I worked at Six Flags/Great Adventure in NJ for 2 summers, and then delivered food trays in a hospital. I would calculate back then, about 1 in a few thousand people would be totally off their rocker and go wild on you. These folks take out all their pent up anger, roll it up into a fiery ball and blast YOU the worker (be it the kid operating the tilt-a-whirl or a Flight Attendant). They are everywhere, all over the world.

This woman was clearly nuts. I can only imagine how she must yell at the nurses and assistants at the plastic surgeon's office! She was half way along to looking like Michael Jackson (may he rest in peace).

Last, while United is often blasted for its mishaps and mistakes etc, here, I think United did the right thing and managed the situation as best as can be. Imagine if she lost it in flight!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

2122M

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:57 pm

I believe she is mentally ill. You can hear the crew talking about her caretaker travelling with her a few rows back.

exFWAOONW

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:35 pm

I don't want to point fingers here, as I've had incidents I wish I had handled better in hind-sight. I think she proved she NEEDED the pet to calm her down. One could argue gas was poured on the situation by both parties. This was a no-win.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

tp1040

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 pm

At least this time we only have to see one side of the story.

If there had been no video, some "news" site would have reported that "innocent woman was removed from flight for no reason and beaten by police"

eugdjinn

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:53 pm

The two things that bother me about this are these:

First, unless this is a large seeing eye or other trained service animal (which would be better behaved than to growl) which it must not be if there is a carrier present for it, then this passenger has ZERO business in a bulkhead seat where they cannot place the carrier under the seat in front of them. In fact, that is specifically forbidden, as the presence of the carrier at their feet would prevent the safe exit of the gentleman who couldn't decide if he should follow her, (don't blame him one bit.)

Second, both the check-in agent and the gate agent should have reminded her gently that the animal was required to be in the carrier for take off and landing with no exceptions, just as toddlers must be buckled in to their seats so that no 'precious' items are flung around the cabin if there is sudden braking. And yes, this applies to emotional support animals as well. If you require it in the seat next to you, you get to buy the animal a seat, and the Air Carrier Access Act supports that unless there are empty seats on the flight. You also cannot bump a non-rev off the flight for your emotional support animal to sit next to you. (You'd never guess that I have had this conversation with a similar crazy lady, would you?)

And as far as air travel, it is not the ADA, but the Air Carrier Access Act that governs all, and every carrier and agent is required to be able to pull it up and if needed, print it on request.

quiet1

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:11 pm

I didn't think a pet kennel was permitted at a bulkhead. You can't place unrestrained hand luggage there, but you can place a kennel?

gullairACK

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 34):

I didn't think a pet kennel was permitted at a bulkhead. You can't place unrestrained hand luggage there, but you can place a kennel?

If it is a policy, this is probably why the companion was seated in the back. They were to hold the kennel. She tried to circumvent that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos