Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Viscount724
Topic Author

AC A321 YYZ-SFO, Sick Captain, Returns To YYZ

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:12 am

Noted following in Transport Canada occurrence reports for August 13. AC A321 YYZ-SFO in MSP airspace (over Iowa based on Flightaware) declared a medical emergency due to a sick captain and returned to YYZ. Presumably not too serious or they would have diverted somewhere closer.

Minneapolis Center called to advise that an Air Canada Airbus A321-211 (ACA739) from Toronto, ON (CYYZ) to San Francisco, CA (KSFO) was returning due to a medical emergency. The captain was reported ill and could not perform duties. The aircraft landed safely on Runway 23 and taxied to the ramp. Emergency medical services waiting at the gate.

Flight departed again for SFO about 5 hours late.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...9/history/20150813/2235Z/CYYZ/KSFO

Q

RE: AC A321 YYZ-SFO, Sick Captain, Returns To YYZ

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:16 am

It does not make any sense route turning it back. Why can't land to Chicago? Chicago to Toronto Air Canada has service. Pilot should ride ORD-YYZ back home. Waste of time and money fuel. Stupid management system.

Q

ACDC8

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:20 am

Quoting Q (Reply 1):
It does not make any sense route turning it back. Why can't land to Chicago? Chicago to Toronto Air Canada has service. Pilot should ride ORD-YYZ back home. Waste of time and money fuel. Stupid management system.

Just going to take a wild guess here, but maybe they don't have a relief pilot in Chicago?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

hOMSaR

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 am

Quoting Q (Reply 1):

And then who would fly the plane from ORD? I doubt AC has spare Airbus captains sitting around in Chicago. From YYZ, you can call someone else pretty quick. Maybe even have them ready to go when the plane lands.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Q

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:25 am

YYZ-ORD AC brings the 321 captain then bring sick Captain back to YYZ. As simple that.

Q

Viscount724
Topic Author

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting Q (Reply 1):

That's not a valid comment without knowing the circumstances. And even if the flight had diverted to ORD, it would have landed after AC's last flight of the day ORD-YYZ had departed so the captain would have had to spend the night. Depending on the nature of his or her illness, returning to YYZ was probably the best option.

ACDC8

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting Q (Reply 4):
ORD AC brings the 321 captain then bring sick Captain back to A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ACDC8

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:39 am

Quoting Q (Reply 4):
YYZ-ORD AC brings the 321 captain then bring sick Captain back to YYZ. As simple that.

So just have the aircraft and pax sit at another airport while they fly a relief pilot in and have the ill pilot sit around to take another flight home?

Didn't you mention something about wasting time, fuel and money?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Whiteguy

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 am

Quoting Q (Reply 4):

Q

Wow that simple hey? I'm guessing the Capt was comfortable enough to continue to YYZ where there is a crew base. An hour to fly back to YYZ where a new Capt will be waiting at the gate to continue the flight. Sounds even simpilar to me...

Q

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 am

OK. They have no choice maybe. Turn around back to YYZ.

Q

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 am

Its hard to judge anything here unless we know why they turned back, I am sure they looked into options, AC doesnt like delaying this plane either.

I am thinking this came down to logistics and the spot they know they could get another pilot. Seems like they could have flown to Winnipeg but maybe there was not a pilot there ready immediately. Yeah it seems like a pretty huge detour back to YYZ but maybe there was a reason they needed to fly back. Would have been a great flight to upgrade since it ended up being so much time in the air

DocLightning

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 am

If the captain developed acute gastroenteritis, that would be uncomfortable enough that he would not be able to perform his duties and yet not life-threatening and worth a turn back to YYZ. If it were something like chest pain, then I'm sure they'd have put down at the nearest suitable airport.

Most airlines have a contract with a medical service that can help them to make these sorts of decisions.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

CRJ900

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 am

If the flight departed again with a five-hour delay, they probably replaced the entire crew as the original crew timed out. I'm assuming that the original crew was to fly YYZ-SFO-YYZ in one workday.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Viscount724
Topic Author

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:37 am

TSB update on this event:

Update: TSB report #A15F0091: Air Canada flight AC739, an Airbus A321 aircraft, was en route to San Francisco from Toronto when the captain became ill and was unable to continue with duties. Several doctors onboard the aircraft rendered assistance and a PAN PAN was declared with ATC. The aircraft was diverted back to Toronto where it landed without further incident. Upon arrival, the flight was met by emergency services.

cabochris

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 am

Bad case of airport Whopper Wednesday?

3rdGen

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Because the captain has provincial health insurance in Canada but doesn't in USA. I know of Canadians who have broken their arms in the US and driven 5 hours back to Canada because they didn't want to pay a cent in an American Hospital.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

auroralives

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Quoting 3rdGen (Reply 15):
Because the captain has provincial health insurance in Canada but doesn't in USA

Well... just a guess, but I would suspect that Air Canada Pilots have travel health insurance covered by their employer as part of their overall compensation package.

N1120A

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 12):
I'm assuming that the original crew was to fly YYZ-SFO-YYZ in one workday.

I'm not sure. Some AC crews, working planes that turn, do overnight on the west coast anyway.

Because the captain has provincial health insurance in Canada but doesn't in USA. I know of Canadians who have broken their arms in the US and driven 5 hours back to Canada because they didn't want to pay a cent in an American Hospital.
Quoting auroralives (Reply 16):
Well... just a guess, but I would suspect that Air Canada Pilots have travel health insurance covered by their employer as part of their overall compensation package.

Yeah - I'd imagine that AC pays for this sort of thing through insurance.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Viscount724
Topic Author

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:38 pm

I know of Canadians who have broken their arms in the US and driven 5 hours back to Canada because they didn't want to pay a cent in an American Hospital.

Reminds of this recent story of a California man with a hospital bill of $153,000 for treatment of a rattlesnake bite.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...g-wrong-with-american-health-care/
http://pix11.com/2015/07/26/man-rack...rattlesnake-during-selfie-attempt/

threepoint

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 am

Quoting Q (Reply 1):

Sorry, but what an asinine statement. Actually, I'm not sorry at all.

More nonsense. The company provides comprehensive health insurance to all its staff. They were flying TO the US, let's not forget.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

N1120A

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:55 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 18):
Reminds of this recent story of a California man with a hospital bill of $153,000 for treatment of a rattlesnake bite.

Ridiculous. My wife and I were in a car accident in Canada and I had to go to the hospital due to a concussion, which we needed to make sure wasn't more. The total cost, whether I had needed just a physical, a CT or brain surgery? CAD $500.

threepoint

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
The total cost, whether I had needed just a physical, a CT or brain surgery? CAD $500.

Yes, but we assigned a vet to manage your care at the time. Hoped you wouldn't notice.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

N1120A

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 am

Quoting threepoint (Reply 21):
Yes, but we assigned a vet to manage your care at the time. Hoped you wouldn't notice.

Man - that guy did a good job posing as an ER doc.