Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OB1504

RE: Why Does EI Fly To MCO Instead Of MIA?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 48):
The people who run airlines are seeing reality , even Emirates recently chose MCO and we all know they do their homework.

That only means that MCO was a better destination for EK. QR was already in MIA and EK could have MCO to themselves. With the announcement of PTY, MIA becomes even less necessary for EK now that Florida traffic can be served via MCO or via BOS and JFK (connecting to B6) and Latin America traffic can be served via PTY (connecting to CM) without requiring passengers to get US visas just to transit.

I don't think we'll be seeing EK at MIA soon, but it doesn't mean MCO is the better destination.

Theres ALOT more in Orlando than Disney people, its a total destination with fabulous hotels, nightlife, dining, amazing pools/golf, and shopping.

MIA can offer the same. I'm not going to say that MIA can support service to everywhere, but claiming that MCO is a more viable destination based on these particular attributes is not a valid argument.

greenjet

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:52 am

Theres ALOT more in Orlando than Disney people, its a total destination with fabulous hotels, nightlife, dining, amazing pools/golf, and shopping.

I believe Orlando is the largest or second largest US convention city also.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:15 am

Its only on a.net that Miami can support service to everywhere, fares are insanely high, and no customer cares about price who leaves from MIA. The people who run airlines are seeing reality , even Emirates recently chose MCO and we all know they do their homework.

Please tell me what "reality" Qatar Airways, Air Europa, SAS, Finnair, Turkish and Austrian are seeing with their new Miami services. How are each's new Orlando routes doing? How is Air France doing in Orlando while we're at it.

[Edited 2015-08-19 21:17:33]
a.

727LOVER

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm

If one wanted to know why EI doesn't serve MIA...fair question. But why throw shade @ MCO?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 52):
Please tell me what "reality" Qatar Airways, Air Europa, SAS, Finnair, Turkish and Austrian are seeing with their new Miami services. How are each's new Orlando routes doing? How is Air France doing in Orlando while we're at it.

Again...why do MIA folks feel the absolute NEED to throw shade @ MCO?

Proving my earlier point:

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 41):
MIA has a few airlines that don't fly to MCO...but no one is starting a thread asking why (insert airline) flies to MIA and not MCO. It just kills (some) MIA folks that MCO has (prob less than 5) airlines that serve MCO, but not MIA.

As have stated before, Disney is popular with Brazilians, UK & Germans, but that's about it internationally.

What slcdeltarumd11 said was true, domestically

Why throw shade @ MCO?  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 53):
Again...why do MIA folks feel the absolute NEED to throw shade @ MCO?

Nobody is "throwing shade." Somebody made a comment that eludes to saying airlines are generally picking service to MCO over MIA. But they aren't.

It's incredible how easily angry people get here just because somebody mentions "Miami."

Miami is the second largest market between the U.S. and Europe, and hence has a lot of European service. Given that reality, it makes sense to wonder why Aer Lingus - one of only four of the large European carriers not serving (present or future) Miami, along with LOT, KLM and Brussels - flies to Orlando over Miami. The reason is that Ireland is a much, much larger market to Orlando than Miami, but to somebody who doesn't know any better, they might not even realize/think that given the general size of the Miami-Europe market.

It's no different than asking "why does TACV fly to Providence (formerly Boston) and not New York" or "why do North African carriers fly to Montreal and now Toronto." On the surface, those things might not make sense, but there are specifics to those markets that when one knows, it makes sense.

It's an innocent question, but people go crazy, because Miami.

[Edited 2015-08-20 10:56:36]
a.

VAM8789

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Its only on a.net that Miami can support service to everywhere, fares are insanely high, and no customer cares about price who leaves from MIA. The people who run airlines are seeing reality , even Emirates recently chose MCO and we all know they do their homework.

If we're talking shopping, nightlife and fabulous hotels, Miami blows Orlando away in all of those things. By and large, people are not heading to Orlando for any of the things you listed. They're going for the theme parks.

mcogator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Quoting VAM8789 (Reply 55):
If we're talking shopping, nightlife and fabulous hotels, Miami blows Orlando away in all of those things.

If we're talking high end shopping, maybe, but Orlando is nothing to sneeze at. On the nightlife end, totally different market. If you want to wait in line, spend a couple hundred pp, and be seen, then yes Miami blows Orlando out of the water. If you just want to drink and have fun, I'll take Orlando any day over Miami. We also have our fair share of top hotels, such as the 4 seasons, Waldorf Astoria, Ritz Carlton etc. To say Miami blows Orlando is quite extreme.

Quoting greenjet (Reply 51):

Vegas is #1. Im pretty sure we are #2, but we might be #3.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 49):
The rest, maybe, but nightlife ? Can't imagine MCO nightlife besting anything that NYC MIA LAX can offer.

We have a wide variety of nightlife. From Downtown Orlando, the Sand Lake area, to Idrive, to Universal City walk, downtown Disney, etc. Plenty of options for old and young.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

jetblue1965

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting mcogator (Reply 56):

We have a wide variety of nightlife. From Downtown Orlando, the Sand Lake area, to Idrive, to Universal City walk, downtown Disney, etc. Plenty of options for old and young.

not trying to diss orlando, but just a bunch of bars and pubs doesn't make it "nightlife" - every town has those.

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 54):
Miami is the second largest market between the U.S. and Europe

Sure, if you exclude LAX and SFO which are both bigger. NYC being number one by miles.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 58):

Sure, if you exclude LAX and SFO which are both bigger. NYC being number one by miles.

No, SFO is not bigger. MIA is about 12% of Europe-->U.S. demand, second to New York, which is around 28%. SAS even talked about it in their press release yesterday.
a.

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 59):
No, SFO is not bigger. MIA is about 12% of Europe-->U.S. demand, second to New York, which is around 28%. SAS even talked about it in their press release yesterday.

You just changed the premise. You said

which is not just Europe>US but also US>Europe....

Including both origins MIA is not the second largest, and splicing the figures is really a tacky way to back up your statement which did not include a source or any specifics.

[Edited 2015-08-20 11:58:30]

FlyingSicilian

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 23):
Houston has the most ardent supporters of any airport on this site. How many IAH threads are there on this site? Yet unlike MIA everyone likes IAH and thinks that it is an airport that can make about any intl route work

Well not to digress but there are fewer IAH threads than Miami, and there is one big Houston happening thread.

That being said, start a Miami happenings thread for all things Miami if you like, or a Florida thread.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 60):
which is not just Europe>US but also US>Europe....

No, the arrow was not to denote direction.

Miami is the second largest U.S.-> Europe market at around ~3.3M annual boardings. Los Angeles is slightly behind around 3.2M. San Francisco is below 3M annual local boarding. Of course, from Miami, the boardings are much more lopsided than the others.

You can look up the 2011 figures, where LA was ~3.0M, Miami was around ~2.8M and SF was ~2.55M. Miami local market has grown at a significantly faster pace in the last four years than the other two.
a.

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 62):
You can look up the 2011 figures, where LA was ~3.0M, Miami was around ~2.8M and SF was ~2.55M. Miami local market has grown at a significantly faster pace in the last four years than the other two.

Please, you keep saying this, provide a source. I'm telling you that LAX and SFO both show as larger Europe markets than MIA in MIDT.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 63):
Please, you keep saying this, provide a source. I'm telling you that LAX and SFO both show as larger Europe markets than MIA in MIDT.

SF hasn't been larger than Miami for a bit now. The source is public and online for my 2011 information, and its MIDT, as you know.

[Edited 2015-08-20 13:02:56]
a.

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 64):
No they don't, but sure, ok.

SF hasn't been larger than Miami for a bit now.

What do you consider "Europe"? I used the 28 members of the EU...

Also, since you're focused on SFO, does that mean you concede that LAX is larger than MIA?

[Edited 2015-08-20 13:06:24]

frostyj

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 42):

Not the case for everyone but yes alot of people do go to Florida on a yearly basis.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

MAH4546

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 65):
What do you consider "Europe"? I used the 28 members of the EU...

Also, since you're focused on SFO, does that mean you concede that LAX is larger than MIA?

No I don't concede, I was just talking about 2011.

Why on earth are you excluding Turkey, Switzerland, Norway, Russia and Iceland, among so many others? That's Europe.
a.

readytotaxi

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 52):
How is Air France doing in Orlando while we're at it.

Seems they pulled out,try booking on their web site and they offer CDG/JFK/MCO, them & Delta.
Lufthansa has also withdrawn First Class on this route with their 747 service.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

frostyj

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm

It's obviously only a British and Irish route.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

tjh8402

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:20 am

Quoting greenjet (Reply 51):

The Orange County Convention Center is the second largest in the country. Orlando is the largest convention city in the country, recently overtaking Chicago. Orlando's southern suburb, Kissimmee, ranked 24th.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...28OrlandoSentinel.com+-+Tourism%29

As have stated before, Disney is popular with Brazilians, UK & Germans, but that's about it internationally.

I disagree. Those may be the biggest groups, but I run into people from all over Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East here as well.

Quoting VAM8789 (Reply 55):

If we're talking shopping, nightlife and fabulous hotels, Miami blows Orlando away in all of those things. By and large, people are not heading to Orlando for any of the things you listed. They're going for the theme parks.

actually shopping is a big part of what people do here.

"Leading the way are Brazilian teens, for whom a trip to Orlando has become almost a rite of passage. They arrive after 10 or 11 hours on a plane, tired but eager to sample Central Florida's thrill rides, night life and stores.

"Shopping is a big reason they're here," said Orlando tour operator Claudia Menezes. "They arrive with a list of items for their aunts, cousins, their grandmothers." Menezes said they enjoy theme parks such as Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld, but "they also love to shop.""

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...niversal-orlando-brazilian-tourism

We also have a burgeoning foodie scene:

"I'll be the first to admit -- When it comes to Orlando, Disney is the first, and other than Universal, pretty much the only, thing that pops into my head. So if spinning teacups and a haunted mansion are not what's on my mind, then Orlando is certainly not what comes to my mind.

Turns out, that's more than just a little oversight on my part. In fact, as Julia Roberts so famously said in Pretty Woman, it's a "Big Mistake. Big. Huge." Orlando is actually quite the foodie town, with chef-driven menus and farm to table restaurants. So, if the mouse is the only thing you're going to Orlando to see, well, you're missing out."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-...odie-surprises-in-o_b_3176006.html

NY Times listed our restaurants as a main reason we were #13 on their "top 52 places to visit in 2015"

Disney World will no doubt remain the biggest draw to Orlando, but the city is growing up thanks to a string of civic developments...But the most surprising development is the food scene"

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ravel/52-places-to-go-in-2015.html

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 68):
Lufthansa has also withdrawn First Class on this route with their 747 service.
LH has had a constantly rotating service and airplane selection in MCO. We see A330s, A340s, and 744s.

[Edited 2015-08-23 20:54:52]

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:48 am

MCO and LAS can never win on a.net. They are HUGE destinations with so much to offer and tons of O&D but people just want to rip on them every chance they get here   mostly because they are not legacy hubs

No reason to defend these cities the airlines are showing they are valuable all the time.

Funny all other international carriers must be flying just empty planes to Orlando, silly them
You should let these airlines know about the empty planes they are flying immediately. Orlando is huge from anywhere and its not a major connection point, its true o&d

Westjet(a large number of flights)
AC (a large number of flights)
Volaris
Icelandair
Norweigian
Maganacharters
Lufthansa
LAN Peru
Emirates
Copa
Caribean
Bahamasair
Avianca
Airtransit
Aeromexico

[Edited 2015-08-23 20:48:59]

MAH4546

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 71):

Funny all other international carriers must be flying just empty planes to Orlando, silly them
You should let these airlines know about the empty planes they are flying immediately. Orlando is huge from anywhere and its not a major connection point, its true o&d

The vast majority of international service from Orlando is to the British Isles, Canada, Brazil and Mexico. It isn't "funny," it's reality.
a.

galleypower

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 23):
As for SK that airline does not make a dime on any of its long-haul routes so it coming to MIA is out of the question.

And since they are adding destinations and freqs they seem to love losing money on the TATL??

mcogator

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:17 pm

I guess this can go here since Emirates chose MCO over MIA....but when did EK officially upgrade to the A380 on the inaugural MCO flight? I remember the thread the MCO ATC worker created, but it wasn't official. I tried searching and can't find anything.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos