Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sydscott

RE: Qantas Confirm 787-9 + $900 Million Profit

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 199):
Hang on one cotton-picking second... while I wouldn't necessarily call myself an AJ supporter, I certainly was on the side of "give the man a chance". But I'm also not rushing out proclaiming that he's now God's gift because there was a profit for one financial year. I'll think about proclaiming that when he consistently delivers solid results (not necessarily always profits, just solid results).

I think the point is that there were a fair amount of people who were willing to put the knife in without giving him a chance.

I think there are people in the aerospace community in Australia like Geoffrey Thomas, Peter Harbison etc who are known for expertise and who's opinions are respected. There are people in the middle like Tony Webber who analyse, do the numbers and then critique based on that. And then there are people like Ben Sandilands who just criticise and really don't have anything other than an opinion to back that criticism up with. It's the third lot who are quiet at the moment.

qfvhoqa

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 200):
There are people in the middle like Tony Webber who analyse, do the numbers and then critique based on that.

He's still being critical of Joyce - a Fairfax article quoted him when talking about Joyce:

Quote:
"You can't criticise him but I still think that a lot of it has to do with things completely beyond his control – most of it, in fact," he says.
"There is the carbon tax; there is the fuel price; there is the reasonable strength of the economy; there is the fact that international capacity is growing at 1 per cent rather than 5 per cent. International carriers around the world are all making money, and that tells you it is something common to all of them – not just Qantas."

So he's basically saying that Joyce deserves only some of the credit for this result.

Ben Sandilands

Perhaps he has mistaken the website that hosts his blog as Cranky instead of Crikey?   

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:13 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 201):
Ben Sandilands

Perhaps he has mistaken the website that hosts his blog as Cranky instead of Crikey?  

I disagree, he represents a segment of the market. His pieces are opinion pieces rather than articles. At the end of the day his blogs allow for an open discussion without interference. We can agree/disagree as much as we like.

I am a big fan of Randy's Journal, but if I want a balanced perspective of the industry I will turn to Leeham news instead.

Sydscott

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 201):
So he's basically saying that Joyce deserves only some of the credit for this result.

But there is analysis there. And, lets face it, he's partially right. But he's also partially wrong because Joyce and his team do deserve credit for profits in the same way they deserve criticism in bad years.

Quoting travelhound (Reply 202):
I disagree, he represents a segment of the market. His pieces are opinion pieces rather than articles. At the end of the day his blogs allow for an open discussion without interference. We can agree/disagree as much as we like.

To be honest, I've only ever read 1 of the things he has written. After that, finding that his opinion was in fact just opinion and not based in any factual analysis, I didn't bother to read further.

jacobin777

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 178):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 177):
While I must congratulate AJ on his/QF's achievements, IMHO QF isn't "out of the woods" yet.

Who is claiming that they are?

I haven't read every story nor comment about QF or from AJ himself and assumed some were praising QF overcoming all of their hurdles. Its nice to see even AJ being somewhat cautious about QF.

Quoting travelhound (Reply 179):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 177):
(thanks to a self-imposed 3+ year ban)

...and welcome back. I did miss your posts!

Thanks mate.  
"Up the Irons!"

mariner

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:48 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 199):
But I'm also not rushing out proclaiming that he's now God's gift because there was a profit for one financial year. I'll think about proclaiming that when he consistently delivers solid results (not necessarily always profits, just solid results).

Again, I'm not sure who is proclaiming he is "God's gift."   

Certainly, there was help from the fuel price and the carbon tax. He benefitted from the end of the market share war.

But I also think he's done what he said he would do - Qantas is now a much leaner airline, debt has been considerably reduced and there is comparative union quiet - how controversially achieved.

All I have ever said is give credit where credit is due.

mariner

[Edited 2015-08-23 22:57:39]
aeternum nauta

DeltaB717

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:57 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 205):
All I have ever said is give credit where credit is due.

Yeah, I knew that's what you meant, and I embellished with the 'God's gift'. FWIW I actually agree with you, I'd just hate to think we're all giving the guy a pat on the back for something that turns out to be a once-off result.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos