Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ctnyc12
Topic Author

Emirates In Denver

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I know this topic has been discussed before, but...

Was scrolling through Instagram just now and couldn't help but notice the Dubai Amiri 747 the background of this photo taken by the Denver Broncos account at DEN as the team boarded for their preseason game in Houston. Is this a potential sign of further negotiations between DEN and EK... or is someone just trying to escape the hot Dubai summer in the Rocky Mountains

Brick

RE: Emirates In Denver

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Not a rare visitor to DEN, but they drop in from time to time. Mostly likely one of the princesses wanted to do some shopping in Aspen.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

tortugamon

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Great eye! I wouldn't look too far into it but hope I am wrong. I don't think they would need such a large plane to negotiate a new route. Would love to see it though. Unfortunately I see some other US cities having a higher probability. DTW, EWR, MIA/FLL for example.

tortugamon

jetero

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting ctnyc12 (Thread starter):
Is this a potential sign of further negotiations between DEN and EK...

What's there to negotiate? So cute that people think that this is how airline route decisions are made.

b747400erf

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:49 pm

A royal family member wouldn't go negotiate it would be a small corporate jet flying in executives to sign paperwork or negotiate.

jetero

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 4):
A royal family member wouldn't go negotiate it would be a small corporate jet flying in executives to sign paperwork or negotiate.

Again, what exactly is there to negotiate?!

eal

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting jetero (Reply 5):
Again, what exactly is there to negotiate?!

Times, landing fees, connections, facilities, etc. airlines don't just look at a map and say "starting next October let's fly to this place", there's quite a process to starting a route that involves actual visits to the airport, with that being said, if EK where starting DEN they would you route their people through another destination. They would definitely not send a prince and a 747.

migair54

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Or Delta flight from DXB-ATL-DEN   

The royal family don´t do much job for anyone, I see them very often in Kilimanjaro with that B747, B777, BBJ, and many more planes, Dubai 1, Dubai 2, Dubai 3, Dubai 10 etc... just going for some hunting and relax.

Rdh3e

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
Times, landing fees, connections, facilities, etc. airlines don't just look at a map and say "starting next October let's fly to this place", there's quite a process to starting a route that involves actual visits to the airport, with that being said, if EK where starting DEN they would you route their people through another destination.

Here is the conversation:

"Well we're fighting the US3 about this government subsidy thing."

"Okay, well boss I need to go to DEN to check the potential" (planners don't really do this, maybe a sales person though)

"Sure, yeah, just take the royal 747"

[Edited 2015-08-21 13:34:37]

jetero

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
airlines don't just look at a map and say "starting next October let's fly to this place"

You'd be surprised. Plenty of times the airport operator finds out on a press release.

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
Times,

Either there's a gate available or not. Simple yes/no, nothing to "negotiate."

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
landing fees

Nope, not in the U.S. Landing fees are calculated by formula, everyone pays the same--any discrimination amongst airlines is against the law. You either pay a signatory rate if you have a lease agreement (the standard form of which is the same for any airline) or the nonsignatory rate, usually a 25%-50% premium.

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
connections,

They either have an interline agreement or not. Nothing the airport operator is involved in.

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
facilities

If EK wants to serve DEN and can't find 500 square feet of Operations space or open their own clubroom, trust me, they'll still serve DEN. A decision is made to serve the market. Everything involving the airport operator is pretty rote--there's nothing to "negotiate."

Quoting eal (Reply 6):
They would definitely not send a prince and a 747.

They'll put their US real estate rep on a plane from NYC to DEN if anything AFTER the decision has already been made to serve.

[Edited 2015-08-21 13:56:17]

LAX772LR

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:14 am

Quoting jetero (Reply 9):
You'd be surprised. Plenty of times the airport operator finds out on a press release.

What "airport operator" are these, and why do they still have a job?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

flyDTW1992

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:30 am

If by "plenty of times" you mean a tiny fraction of cases, sure...

Either there's a gate available or not. Simple yes/no, nothing to "negotiate."

Not true. There are plenty of things that need to be hashed out. Common use gates? Definitely going to require some coordination and discussion between parties. Ground handling provisions? Airport operator will be involved in coordinating that process. Terminal equipment, any necessary upgrades or renovations. Any form of local government incentives such or promotional considerations all would be deliberated on. Major airports don't employ highly qualified air service development personnel just to sit and wait for Emirates' A380 to pull up outside their window.

That said, you're right, there's certainly no reason to associate the Amiri 747 with Emirates service.
Now you're flying smart

n7371f

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:08 am

Easy people. In Aspen.

atcsundevil

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:27 am

Uh, incentives/concessions/subsidies? That's a huge part of any new airline entering the market -- what will the airport/city/government offer the airline in exchange for starting service or expanding operations? Some airports have no need to offer concessions; however, the vast majority do.

There are ALWAYS things to negotiate when money is involved, particularly when it stands to financially benefit the airline by seeking reduced landing/parking fees, revenue guarantees, subsidized advertising, and so on. The outcome of negotiations like these can be the tipping point between the airline opening a new route and choosing to take their shiny new airplane elsewhere.

As stated above, I agree that this has little to nothing to do with possible EK service. One of the Amiri flight 748s (and formerly the old SP) shows up here in Phoenix all the time -- something tells me the ME3 aren't clamouring for PHX service...not unless some seriously sweet incentives get, erm, negotiated.

BA744PHX

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:45 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 13):
As stated above, I agree that this has little to nothing to do with possible EK service. One of the Amiri flight 748s (and formerly the old SP) shows up here in Phoenix all the time -- something tells me the ME3 aren't clamouring for PHX service...not unless some seriously sweet incentives get, erm, negotiated.

So true, this past June & July the B748, A342 & A320 were in PHX numerous times

http://www.visitingphx.com/ipcvqbsk.html
http://www.visitingphx.com/ipc3a7hhk.html
http://www.visitingphx.com/ipc3a7mbk.html

With this variety PHX might be a hub for QR... LOL yes this is a joke  

superjeff

Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm sure that the ME3 have interline agreements with the US3 as well as most other airlines. As some of the posters have said, if airline decides to serve a destination, they will then send their real estate person to the destination to organize gate space, ticket counters, ground handling, etc. For one flight a day or less, it is likely they will contract with another airline or service provider for ground handling (maybe Swissport or somebody perceived as "high quality" as opposed to a DGS or similar operation), which can be done remotely as most ground handling companies have offices in various locations and probably got relationships with the new airline anyway. If the new airline wants to contract ground handling to an existing tenant at the airport (including the US3, but also including an alliance partner, etc.), that too can be done without traveling to the proposed destination. And they certainly won't take the Royal jet.

B737900

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:52 pm

For a good discussion on this very topic see the latest (October 2015) edition of Airways magazine. Page 43 'The Gulf Carriers'. Lots of ME3, US3 and Fifth and Sixth Freedom stuff.
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

b747400erf

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:55 pm

An airline will also send representatives to find the best crew hotel and negotiate room rates that are up to their standards. Serving a new city is a complicated process.

BravoOne

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:08 pm

They are here to play, not work as others have said.

BA0197

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 8):
"Sure, yeah, just take the royal 747"

This has me laughing so hard haha!

Are you actually suggesting that Dubai will send it's Royal family to negotiate for a company?? This is not how royalty works.

777way

Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Or even on a commercial flight with them as ordinary passegers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos