slcdeltarumd11

RE: Porter New Seasonal Service To Melbourne (USA)

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:13 am

For porter i think they need an airport with customs, correct? I dont remember pre-clearing customs on porter IIRC?

If this works out they might want to consider ECP Panama City (not sure about customs) lots of great golf and beaches in the area and its almost 10% closer its 100 less miles thats gotta allow for more passengers. Yes, its not the most popular area for canadians but it would get them to somewhere warm and sunny and i know the airport would throw money out. Not sure about customs but that might be a good second place for them to try?

A one stop to

INFINITI329

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 50):
For porter i think they need an airport with customs, correct? I dont remember pre-clearing customs on porter IIRC?

MLB has daily CBP daily services (mon-fri), maybe some construction may be needed to accommodate 50 people at once
I wouldn't be surprised if the airport is compensating CBP for having to operate outside their normal business hours.

RJNUT

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting FARmd90 (Reply 49):
Will Porter be selling all the seats on the way back to YTZ? Wouldn't make much sense to cap it going both ways? I don't know much about MLB but I would assume it has a nice runway with enough room for the q400 to make the trip back north unrestricted?

true but wouldn't alternate fuel take its toll going that direction in winter?

KarlB737

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 24):

Looks like it's Porter Airlines starting December 19 from Toronto!

Courtesy: USA Today

Canada's Porter Airlines Adds First Florida Destination

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...irst-florida-destination/72310742/

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting jetset (Reply 34):
Sold as YTZ-YHM for a quick gas and go.
Jetset

I doubt they will do that. Would make the whole experience unattrative.

Besides,

FAR takeoff field length for a MTOW Q400, at sea level, in ISA conditions (15 C, dry runway, no wind), is 4,600 ft . So with a 4,000 ft runway, they dont need to leave too many empty seats. As was said above, they will block off 24 seats and carry only 50 ppl down to MLB. They are being cautious. I'm sure they can probably carry more passengers, but it will be a 'game time' decision. On a cold winter day, with a dry runway and a good headwind, i wouldn't be surprised if the flight leaves with 65-70 passengers. Just like on a snowy morning, with a runway covered with ice/snow, they might only leave with 30 passengers !

Will Porter be selling all the seats on the way back to YTZ? Wouldn't make much sense to cap it going both ways? I don't know much about MLB but I would assume it has a nice runway with enough room for the q400 to make the trip back north unrestricted?

MLB's longest runway is 10,181 ft, so no issues on the way back to YTZ.

[Edited 2015-09-17 09:43:07]
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

N1120A

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 16):
Isn't Porter getting the C0Series?

Only if they get a runway extension at YTZ.

Quoting enilria (Reply 29):
It's blocked at 20 mins more than an A319 from YYZ to MCO AND it's 16 miles further. I don't believe it.

That is very interesting. AC seem to pad a fair bit, so perhaps Porter is assuming operational reliability on departure, especially since they have much shorter taxi times at YTZ than AC has Pearson. Also, neither airport is going to have significant hold times or some sort of time sucking pattern to get in. I've been on a Q400 from LAX to STS, granted a shorter flight, that was beating LAX-SFO flights on 757s that were going a shorter distance.

Quoting flflyer (Reply 30):

I love how they call it Orlando-Melbourne . that is a 60 mile drive.

LOL. Have you ever seen what Ryanair calls Frankfurt?

Quoting MavyWavyATR (Reply 39):

I'm just curious as to how Porter will make a profit on this route using only Q400's and capping the number of seats; mainly because the economics of flying the Q400 only work until a certain point.

1/3rd full to go into profitability. That isn't particularly much. Porter generally command a decent yield, due to location. Also, this is a plane that would likely be sitting anyway.

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 51):
MLB has daily CBP daily services (mon-fri), maybe some construction may be needed to accommodate 50 people at once
I wouldn't be surprised if the airport is compensating CBP for having to operate outside their normal business hours.

MLB is a Customs User Fee Airport. That means the airport and/or Porter can pay for customs to show up for flights.

At a certain point, one imagines that CBP will start agreeing with the YTZ folks that they want pre-clearance there.

Quoting jetset (Reply 34):

Sold as YTZ-MLB non-stop, but most likely will operate YTZ-YHM-MLB. Numbers just don't add up to be able to operate from a 4000FT runway with 75 Pax. My guess they will hop over to YHM for a quick gas and go.
Jetset

Blocked to 50.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

yyz717

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 44):
From the Toronto Star: "...The airline plans to serve a maximum of 50 passengers on a flight, instead of the usual 74 on this Florida route, due to fuel and range considerations.

Thanks for posting this.

Well, this makes this new PD even more attractive -- a guaranteed maximum ~70% LF, in an already comfortable 2-2 arrangement.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:08 am

Will Porter be selling all the seats on the way back to YTZ? Wouldn't make much sense to cap it going both ways?

I expect 99% of passengers on those once-a-week seasonal flights will be originating in Canada and very few would be flying one-way only. So who would be filling the additional northbound seats if they didn't cap it at 50 from MLB?

diverted

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 57):
I expect 99% of passengers on those once-a-week seasonal flights will be originating in Canada and very few would be flying one-way only. So who would be filling the additional northbound seats if they didn't cap it at 50 from MLB?

I agree with you, though I could see the odd person who selects "orlando-all nearby" or something similar when they go to a 3rd party travel site, not realizing they'll be flying out of a different airport. When PD wasn't as well known as they are now, it was rather common for pax to ask how to get to T1 to make their connection...only to be told to grab a cab and hope traffic isn't bad!!

lesfalls

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:20 pm

anyone know if they will serve a different meal compared to the rest of their flights?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

xdlx

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:09 am

2.5h is not much more than in a CR200!

Thenoflyzone

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:53 am

Quoting rampbro (Reply 43):

That is a super gnarly flight for a Q400. 3h10 minutes - yeesh.

There is longer. R3 from YKS to UUD. 3h50 min
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos