gkirk

RE: BA Announces SJC - LHR

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:16 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 40):

A lot of folk were claiming that BA wouldnt have the a/c to allow for long haul expansion in the next few years, LAX772LR was always claiming this wasnt the case - even with losing a 777 to LGW, BA have managed to find a way to squeeze a new route out of LHR
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Egerton

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 50):
A lot of folk were claiming that BA wouldnt have the a/c to allow for long haul expansion in the next few years, LAX772LR was always claiming this wasnt the case - even with losing a 777 to LGW, BA have managed to find a way to squeeze a new route out of LHR

Quite correct, mea culpa.
I presume the new routes are possible because of accelerated planned deliveries of 787 and A380 complete with seats?

[Edited 2015-08-28 10:11:02]

GSP psgr

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 39):
With PDX, BA would then have a grasp of much of the tech market.

PDX- Silicon Forest

SJC - Silicon Valley

PHX - Silicon Desert

AUS - Silicon Hills

As part of the JV, American also serves the Silicon Triangle (RDU) and BA does Silicon Harbor (BOS). I have doubts that PDX is big enough to sustain two daily transatlantic departures; LH's FRA service didn't last long once DL showed up, though should the AS/DL relationship deteriorate further relative to AA/AS there might be an opening there.

If BA's interested in more tech oriented markets, PIT is increasingly a bigger player, especially when it comes to robotics and bumping off DL's seasonal CDG service in favor of a year round one to LHR would be easier. There's also a ton of high tech stuff being done with regards to the automotive industry in Oakland County north of DTW. DTW/PIT-LHR would be perfectly suited to start on AA 752s, though the JV has yet to pursue that model of service.

flyoregon

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 52):
As part of the JV, American also serves the Silicon Triangle (RDU) and BA does Silicon Harbor (BOS). I have doubts that PDX is big enough to sustain two daily transatlantic departures; LH's FRA service didn't last long once DL showed up, though should the AS/DL relationship deteriorate further relative to AA/AS there might be an opening there.

The economy and the area demographics have improved dramatically since then. Plus Alaska's presence in Portland has increased substantially which would help BA I think.

While only seasonal, Condor and Icelandair have complimented DL's AMS service very nicely with a 99.8% LF and 96.1% LF in July respectively. It's commonly discussed that European capacity is too low at PDX and the Port, like most airport authorities, are trying to recruit more capacity. I'm confident that BA is on the top of the list. Once that happens, then I think PDX is well covered. Anymore European traffic would be detrimental to one of the carriers.

Andy33

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting Egerton (Reply 51):
I presume the new routes are possible because of accelerated planned deliveries of 787 and A380 complete with seats?

Quite right. On the original tentative delivery schedule, BA would have increased their total long haul fleet by 1 plane for summer 2016. Now the 789s iseem to be about to arrive at a better rate than projected earlier this year, and the three outstanding A380 should arrive this winter and early summer.
So far route announcements for summer 2016 have accounted for that one extra plane, and the plane released by the cancellation of EBB and ATA. However there's every hope now that they'll be able to increase the total fleet further in time for summer ,by 2-3 more planes. If they do, my apologies to LAX772LR.
There's still an intention to remove 6 744s and 7 763s from the fleet between now and the end of next year, and the need to have enough spare capacity to cover the cabin refresh of 18 744s between now and midsummer 2016.
Delivery tiiming is all here - 2017 ought to see significant further fleet expansion.

rtfm

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 36):
Is BA flying 787's from LGW?

No - the only longhaul BA aircraft at LGW are 777-200s.

jacobin777

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 26):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 23):
On the west side of the valley, I would say up to Palo Alto is a prime target for SJC but going further north, Redwood City, Foster City, Belmont etc. its easier to get to SFO.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. Redwood City is maybe 10 miles farther from SJC than SFO, but depending on traffic it may not be easier to get to SFO. SJC is an easy airport to get into also.

SJC is certainly a fantastic airport as its my local airport    but from my drives, Redwood City to 237/San Jose during traffic hours is horrendous.

Also another problem is that the carpool lane during carpool hours is used by anyone and everyone. I don't understand why more enforcement work isn't done. Those violations would more than pay for enforcement costs.

The departure times aren't bad but the arrival/pick-up times is during taffic.
"Up the Irons!"

SelseyBill

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 34):
I wonder what could be next for BA in the US. The range of attractive cities to fly to starts to decrease sharply. ts would be in LGW-MSY and LHR-PDX.

BA's successful formula is to look for new cities with strong business travel, who have organisations in town they can go and seek corporate contracts, or feed off the deals AA have with the business community.

Look for cities with good strong business travel that aren't hub cities of non-Oneworld operators.

SAT is a possibility, CMH, PIT, IND in the Midwest maybe, PDX in the PNW.

I personally just don't see MSY from LHR.

I wouldn't be surprised if they look @ LHR-MCO either (in addition to LGW); plenty of well-heeled year round UK-FLA customers to chase.

SelseyBill

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 34):
I wonder what could be next for BA in the US. The range of attractive cities to fly to starts to decrease sharply. ts would be in LGW-MSY and LHR-PDX.

BA's successful formula is to look for new cities with strong business travel, who have organisations in town they can go and seek corporate contracts, or feed off the deals AA have with the business community.

Look for cities with good strong business travel that aren't hub cities of non-Oneworld operators.

SAT is a possibility, CMH, PIT, IND in the Midwest maybe, PDX in the PNW. I just don't see MSY from LHR.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 56):
SJC is certainly a fantastic airport as its my local airport but from my drives, Redwood City to 237/San Jose during traffic hours is horrendous.

Don't you just stay on 101 until N. First St? That's how I get to SJC coming up from the Tully Road area. It's a straight shot in and out of there.

BTW, I was born in Redwood City and my mother grew up in San Carlos, so I'm familiar with your area. Plus I lived in San Jose for many years as does still most of my family. Hence you can see my continued fondness and interest in SJC even though I live and work for a certain aerospace company about 700 miles north.

Currently I live very close to certain air field that has never had scheduled flights, but often has several wide body takeoffs a day anyway.

AirFiero

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 57):

Makes me wonder if AA will build up some connections to this flight at SJC?

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 60):

Where to? SNA and PDX? Hawaii? There aren't many opportunities. Plus we know how interested AA is in SJC.

AirFiero

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 61):
Where to? SNA and PDX? Hawaii? There aren't many opportunities. Plus we know how interested AA is in SJC.

Socal, maybe some smaller communities with regional jets. Probably not justified for only feeding one flight, though.

steex

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 62):
Socal, maybe some smaller communities with regional jets. Probably not justified for only feeding one flight, though.

Definitely not. This flight is about SJC-LHR O&D and connecting traffic over LHR. AA/BA already have the ability to connect traffic over DFW, PHX, and LAX to anywhere that could be reasonably served from SJC.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Needless to say, you can sense the disappointment from our local business and civic leaders in the linked article that MSY was not picked this time around. It's been an all out push to get international service with the new CM service to PTY as evidence of the work. Everyone was hoping to get that TATL flight as a feather in the cap, but that was not the case this time. As stated before, congrats to SJC on gaining TATL service. Hopefully, some additional US route announcements will be forthcoming as more planes come into the BA system. I've heard rumblings that IKA is the next route on the radar of BA assuming the Iran deal goes through and sanctions are lifted, but there are a ton of ifs with that.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...s_picks_san_jose.html#incart_river

Viscount724

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:48 am

Quoting nikeson13 (Reply 1):
side note, starts same date as LGW-SJO

No doubt the first time an airline has launched new service to two cities with the same name in different countries at the same time.

I expect it's only a matter of time before a BA passenger winds up in the wrong San Jose, like a CO passenger did from EWR some years ago. Passenger (female) en route to a meeting in SJC, booked by her secretary, wound up in SJO. Didn't realize she was on the wrong flight until shortly before landing, 3,000 miles from her intended destination.

warden145

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 65):
No doubt the first time an airline has launched new service to two cities with the same name in different countries at the same time.

I expect it's only a matter of time before a BA passenger winds up in the wrong San Jose, like a CO passenger did from EWR some years ago. Passenger (female) en route to a meeting in SJC, booked by her secretary, wound up in SJO. Didn't realize she was on the wrong flight until shortly before landing, 3,000 miles from her intended destination.

Given that the SJO service is from LGW, hopefully that won't happen this time around...but, anything is possible!
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

mham001

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 48):
Since we are on the subject of SJC, does anyone know how NH and HU are doing in SJC? I started a thread on this a few weeks ago and no-one responded.

I don't know about that but I recently tried to get a ticket from SJC-Manila on ANA and the website said it can't be done. SFO-MNL on ANA is not a problem. I'm sure there's workarounds but...

dc10lover

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:03 pm

This is a better rout than SLC - LHR. DL can have SLC.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

BoeingGuy

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 65):

Yeah, I'm just amazed at how clueless some people are. You think maybe you'd carefully check. This was like the two honeymooners who booked a ticket to Sydney, Nova Scotia (guess where they were really trying to go). You think they might have figured out that the 3 hour flight from Toronto, or whatever, didn't make any sense.

S75752

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 14):
Why? LON is the world's largest air travel market, including if we filter only for premium seats. There is more than enough demand on routes like SFO-LHR (though not on more marginal ones like AUS-LHR). I can't imagine many pax on UA SFO LHR connecting either.

I bet there are a lot of connections on UA's SFO and LAX- LHR flights, probably regional ones though. VS in particular seems very odd since they don't have connections on either side and are what seems to be a strictly O&D oriented carrier on both ends. (At least before VX was created, for SFO and LAX).

Certainly having connections on at least one end provide a massive advantage, especially if it is their main massive hub like BA to high demand markets elsewhere within Europe.

747megatop

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Kudos to SJC. This has been long awaited and finally happened. Not a surprise at all. Bay area is perhaps the only region outside of NYC that can support two airports in close proximity having international connections to both Asia (TAPC) and Erope (TATL) thanks to it's affluent comsmopolitan population and large number of tech businesses. I wonder how long it will be before *A responds with a non stop to FRA on LH/UA metal. I think there is enough traffic out of the bay area to support 2 non stops to Europe. UA might very well respond by deploying a 787, who knows!

Freshside3

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 61):

RNO, perhaps. Thomas Cook had planned to start a LGW-RNO nonstop but backed out of the deal, due to customs facilities issues. Apparently there is a demand in the UK for RNO, otherwise Cook would have not considered it.

S75752

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 71):
I wonder how long it will be before *A responds with a non stop to FRA on LH/UA metal.

I think their first priority would be getting more domestic service from SJC... Like LAX which they took away for whatever bizarre reasons!

peterinlisbon

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am

I'm pretty sure a few passengers will manage to end up in the wrong San José. In fact, when I lived in Costa Rica, I almost ended up booking flights to the wrong one because when you start typing San José on a travel website it automatically fills in the rest of the name without waiting for you to type it in. You have to be really careful. It doesn't help that between London and either of the San José's the airlines and connection points can be the same so the difference is not that obvious (American via New York or Continental via Newark).

Maybe it's a good ideal to state on the departure screens San José (California) or San José (Costa Rica) just to make sure passengers that have bought the wrong ticket don't actually board the flight.

Rafabozzolla

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:46 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 69):
Yeah, I'm just amazed at how clueless some people are.

So true, I have family in Genoa, Italy, Genova in Italian and Portuguese. You have no idea how many times travel agents of all people (back in the day before we could book tickets ourselves online) gave me price estimates for flights to Geneva (GVA).

Now I just book fligths myself over the internet and avoid the geographically impaired.

YYZflyboy

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:10 pm

To everyone who said that the 747 is going bye-bye:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...d-as-british-airways-extends-reign

With oil down to $40-60/barrel, it might not be a bad idea to put this on high density routes where it will fill up!

nickflightx

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Anyone remember this story?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigat...y-for-a-Major-Crash-304345781.html

With the announcement of BA, SJC is now a AARF class D airport, so more firefighters are on the way

!SJC 08/084 SJC AD ARFF NOW INDEX D 1509011500-1603010800

steex

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 72):
RNO, perhaps. Thomas Cook had planned to start a LGW-RNO nonstop but backed out of the deal, due to customs facilities issues.

Even if there is significant flow to Reno (there is not), those connections are already served over other AA hubs - DFW, LAX, PHX, and ORD all have RNO connections that work. Just as BA adding AUS didn't suddenly spur AA to connect Austin with new cities to provide redundant connectivity in place of DFW, we shouldn't expect AA to jump into new SJC markets to provide redundant connectivity in place of LAX/PHX.

jacobin777

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 59):
Don't you just stay on 101 until N. First St? That's how I get to SJC coming up from the Tully Road area. It's a straight shot in and out of there.

I live in the South Bay but yes, that's the way to go (sometimes however the 280 is better, even though its a bit of a longer route). I spend about 3-5 months/year in Chicago and commute every week to SFO for a day or two and going down the 101 has been a horrible experience. I guess its not too bad from Redwood City.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 59):
BTW, I was born in Redwood City and my mother grew up in San Carlos, so I'm familiar with your area. Plus I lived in San Jose for many years as does still most of my family. Hence you can see my continued fondness and interest in SJC even though I live and work for a certain aerospace company about 700 miles north.

Maybe you will make it back once you retire from the " certain aerospace company about 700 miles north".  
Quoting AirFiero (Reply 60):
Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 57):

Sad AA had to disassemble SJC in the first place.  
"Up the Irons!"

Freshside3

Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 am

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 58):
SAT is a possibility, CMH, PIT, IND in the Midwest maybe, PDX in the PNW. I just don't see MSY from LHR.

IND, and PIT, IIRC, were managed by the BAA(now called Ferrivol, or something like that). So, some previous business connection, there. Not sure about the passenger counts, but the freight market in CMH has always been strong.

One seasonal 757 to CDG (on DL) is not really enough Europe out of PIT, either. And CLE could use some seasonal Europe service, of some sort.

DolphinAir747

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:12 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 75):
So true, I have family in Genoa, Italy, Genova in Italian and Portuguese. You have no idea how many times travel agents of all people (back in the day before we could book tickets ourselves online) gave me price estimates for flights to Geneva (GVA).

But if you end up in Geneva while planning to go to Genoa, it's a short scenic train ride to fix that mistake...  a bit harder going from Nova Scotia to Australia at the last minute!

Freshside3

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 am

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 75):

Now I just book fligths myself over the internet and avoid the geographically impaired.

"Monaco" and "Munich" are both pronounced "Monako" in Greek, too, which also causes some confusion with travel agents there.

Rafabozzolla

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 am

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 82):
"Monaco" and "Munich" are both pronounced "Monako" in Greek, too, which also causes some confusion with travel agents there.

Same in Italian. Munich is Monaco di Baviera, and Monaco is, well, Monaco, though normally reffered to in Italian as Monte Carlo. However there´s no airport code for Monaco as far as I am concerned.

SKAirbus

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 83):
However there´s no airport code for Monaco as far as I am concerned.

MCM is the IATA code for Monaco Heliport. But yes, no fixed wing aircraft land there  
Base: BRU

AIRBEING

Re: RE: BA Announces SJC - LHR

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm

SKAirbus wrote:
Quoting Rafabozzolla (Reply 83):However there´s no airport code for Monaco as far as I am concerned.

MCM is the IATA code for Monaco Heliport. But yes, no fixed wing aircraft land there  

Not yet ! ( well, not until the AW609 comes around when the FATO extension is done in a few years...)
LNMC is the ICAO code for MCM
Flying is the 2nd thrill known to man....Landing is the 1st !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos