Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

QR Relaxes Pregnancy Rules For Cabin Crew

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:15 pm

A bit of lipstick on a pig type of move here as women are still grounded and we know most likely they will not be allowed to return to the skies regardless of what management says, but I suppose its a step in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34071346

777way

RE: QR Relaxes Pregnancy Rules For Cabin Crew

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I dont think mothers of minors need to be cabin crew, in any airline.

winginit

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 1):

So long as they're capable of doing their job and wish to continue to do so it certainly doesn't matter what others think they "need"; and they should be permitted to do so.

pvjin

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Previously QR just fired their female cabin crew if they got pregnant, at least this is a step into right direction, though any moral person should still boycott the airline and its host country. That's what I will continue to do until Qatar starts to respect basic human rights.

It's such a paradox how some of the most backward regimes have so much wealth and power, simply because of oil.

[Edited 2015-08-28 11:35:04]

Aeroflot777

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 pm

And why not? If it's their job, they continue doing their job.

bennett123

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 pm

What is not clear, is how far into pregnancy will they ground them.

What is the situation with other carriers.

RGElectra80

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
What is not clear, is how far into pregnancy will they ground them.

I'd assume it's as soon as it's reported, which opens a whole new can of worms:
-Firstly the fact they have to tell someone they are pregnant and whether or not they can continue work is ridiculous but let's set that aside for a sec.
-When are they supposed to be reporting this?
-What if they don't report it and keep flying until they can no longer hide the bump?

It's still a crappy policy no matter how you slice it.

777way

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:40 pm

I'm all for wome working other jobs with minor kids at home but there is no need for them to be cabin crew after having kids, plenty of single women out there for such jobs or even married ones without kids or grown kids.

More so in airlines where you have to be based in their countries.

[Edited 2015-08-28 13:45:21]

Mir

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 6):
I'd assume it's as soon as it's reported, which opens a whole new can of worms:
-Firstly the fact they have to tell someone they are pregnant and whether or not they can continue work is ridiculous but let's set that aside for a sec.
-When are they supposed to be reporting this?
-What if they don't report it and keep flying until they can no longer hide the bump?

It's still a crappy policy no matter how you slice it.

It's normal for crewmembers to not be allowed to work flights while pregnant, and to be reassigned to ground jobs. So long as they're getting paid what they normally would, there's no issue with that.

-Mir

Aeroflot777

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 7):
but there is no need for them to be cabin crew after having kids, plenty of single women out there for such jobs or even married ones without kids or grown kids.

??? I'm sorry I don't follow. Is cabin crew reserved only for single women or those with grown kids? How does that work?

enilria

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 9):
but there is no need for them to be cabin crew after having kids, plenty of single women out there for such jobs or even married ones without kids or grown kids.

??? I'm sorry I don't follow. Is cabin crew reserved only for single women or those with grown kids? How does that work?

Certainly it's a pretty miserable lifestyle for somebody who isn't single. It's pretty crappy even if you are just married.

Nonetheless, it should be the person's choice to do the job before after or during pregnancy... as long as the baby is not endangered by flying during pregnancy, which I think needs more medical research.

thekorean

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 3):

Meh, geography knows not politics. Nordic countries and a Canada are oil rich too.

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 10):
Nonetheless, it should be the person's choice to do the job before after or during pregnancy... as long as the baby is not endangered by flying during pregnancy, which I think needs more medical research.

Only selfish and needy work cabin crew jobs after becoming mothers,, thre is no other reason from them to continue, if its their dream job, that falls in the selfish category, Imagine a mother and hat too a new one who need sto be home with her kid, is jetting accroos teh world serving others, livng based in an alient country with an alien culture and society, like a signle woman at college, please, get a job in your town or city in your own country in this case.

AA94

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 12):
Only selfish and needy work cabin crew jobs after becoming mothers,, thre is no other reason from them to continue, if its their dream job, that falls in the selfish category, Imagine a mother and hat too a new one who need sto be home with her kid, is jetting accroos teh world serving others, livng based in an alient country with an alien culture and society, like a signle woman at college, please, get a job in your town or city in your own country in this case.

What.

People are entitled to making their own decisions. If they want to be a stay-at-home parent after having a child, that's their choice. If they want to continue to be a F/A after having a child, that's their choice as well. Your ability to do your job doesn't just magically disappear after you have children, and you can't deem someone unfit to work simply because your opinion is that they should be at home with their children.

readytotaxi

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:39 pm

If they got pregnant at work would that be an industrial injury. 

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 13):
People are entitled to making their own decisions.

Ofcurse they are, but only a selfish woman living a dream job concept will continue with a cabin crew job after becoming a mother, or she is from an impoversihed backkground and needs the job due to the high salary which will not be earned in other jobs.

B747-4U3

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 15):

Quoting AA94 (Reply 13):
People are entitled to making their own decisions.

Ofcurse they are, but only a selfish woman living a dream job concept will continue with a cabin crew job after becoming a mother, or she is from an impoversihed backkground and needs the job due to the high salary which will not be earned in other jobs.

As the son of someone who was cabin crew, I find your comments ignorant and rather offensive.

The fact that my mother was not there with me 24/7 was completely irrelevant because the rest of my family was around. If my mother was on a trip my father was in charge. If he was at work then my grandparents looked after me. Growing up, I spent plenty of time with my whole family and it didn't feel like there was abnormal or selfish about my upbringing.

CALMSP

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:31 pm

....and only a selfish uneducated male would think this way.

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 16):
I find your comments ignorant and rather offensive.

Do I care? its not a woman with kids job to be a hostie, that part of life is over with when she becomes a mother, I repeat only selfish women with dream job fantasies or those in need of the high salary and perks due to finiancial issues continue after motherhood, the latter type I can sympathise with.

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 17):
....and only a selfish uneducated male would think this way.

No, if you noticed I said mothers should do ANY other job but not cabin crew, be an airline chaiperson if they can. Also plenty of working women in my family, friends and aquaintences in all walks of life, even crew in Saudia and PIA back in the good days with many being Christian, but none continued after motherhood, so the uneducated male bit flops.

So many smlall kids lost their mothers in crashes when it needant have been that way.

[Edited 2015-08-29 09:55:02]

KLAM

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:26 pm

If my mother was on a trip my father was in charge. If he was at work then my grandparents looked after me. Growing up, I spent plenty of time with my whole family and it didn't feel like there was abnormal or selfish about my upbringing.
Quoting 777way (Reply 18):
its not a woman with kids job to be a hostie, that part of life is over with when she becomes a mother, I repeat only selfish women with dream job fantasies or those in need of the high salary and perks due to finiancial issues continue after motherhood, the latter type I can sympathise with.

I often find it funny how this is always a topic of heated debates. I tend to agree with 777way in that children need a parent to look after them, whether it is the mother or the father, I think it makes absolutely no difference. I know that modern living standards often require both parents to work, and sometimes there are single parents who have absolutely no choice, it is a shame however, that this comes at the expense of the children's upbringing.

B747-4U3 had the blessing to have a familiar structure that looked after him, and that is great! Unfortunately this is not always the case. It is great that the world nowadays offers everyone choices and unlimited possibilities, yet we forget that we are fully responsible of the consequences of our decisions, and it is when children are in the picture that we need to be more careful as they receive part of the impact. Parents wanting a full-time career have to realize that they will have to sacrifice time with their children in the same way that stay at home parents sacrifice their careers.

Now, I do not think QR should be the one who decides whether a mother is to stay at home or not.

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:44 pm

I think all airlines need to decide that mothers cant be can crew no matter what, its not a job for them, it was when they weren't regardless of age, hire a 30 something with no kids, but don't have the 20 something return to work as crew few months after having a child.

MrHMSH

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm all for wome working other jobs with minor kids at home but there is no need for them to be cabin crew after having kids, plenty of single women out there for such jobs or even married ones without kids or grown kids.

I find it weird to propose that a woman should quit her job just for having kids, especially if she finds a way to look after the child.

A flight attendant is not that well-paid in the grand scheme of things, even at airlines.

Do I care?

You should, you've suggested that if a women gets pregnant (that does tend to happen when people have sex, and people enjoy sex) then she should leave her job regardless.

its not a woman with kids job to be a hostie, that part of life is over with when she becomes a mother, I repeat only selfish women with dream job fantasies or those in need of the high salary and perks due to finiancial issues continue after motherhood, the latter type I can sympathise with.

If you take that attitude then women with kids should NEVER work.

No, if you noticed I said mothers should do ANY other job but not cabin crew, be an airline chaiperson if they can. Also plenty of working women in my family, friends and aquaintences in all walks of life, even crew in Saudia and PIA back in the good days with many being Christian, but none continued after motherhood, so the uneducated male bit flops.

Well what makes flight attendant so different? There are plenty of jobs that require people to be away from home regularly. I can't blame you for thinking a certain way... but I find that attitude repulsive.

Quoting 777way (Reply 20):
I think all airlines need to decide that mothers cant be can crew no matter what, its not a job for them, it was when they weren't regardless of age, hire a 30 something with no kids, but don't have the 20 something return to work as crew few months after having a child.

Or airlines could decide to not be sexist pigs and be fair and reasonable over something that women don't exactly have much control over. As I implied above, it's the bloke that gets a woman pregnant.

bennett123

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Does anyone know what changes QR are making or how their plans differ from other carriers?.

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 21):
A flight attendant is not that well-paid in the grand scheme of things, even at airlines.

But its something big deal for Asians and Africans.

I find it weird to propose that a woman should quit her job just for having kids,

Only as hosties, they can become chairman of anything if they have it in them.

You should, you've suggested that if a women gets pregnant (that does tend to happen when people have sex, and people enjoy sex) then she should leave her job regardless.

Only as hosties.

If you take that attitude then women with kids should NEVER work.

Read above reply.

Well what makes flight attendant so different?

Its not a job for mothers, this is really one job they dont have to do.

Or airlines could decide to not be sexist pigs and be fair and reasonable over something that women don't exactly have much control over. As I implied above, it's the bloke that gets a woman pregnant.

Or they should be concerned and realise mothers need not be hosties and give others a chance.

MrHMSH

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 23):
Or they should be concerned and realise mothers need not be hosties and give others a chance.

Why? Explain to me why it's not a job for mothers.

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Wnen you become a mother you have to have a normal routine job if not stay at home, not this especially not with Gulf carriers based elsewhere, live in dorm like setup, visiting home few times a month, why did you have kids if you still want to live like you did when you didnt.

This job is not for mothers period, they did it as single women, they got married it was ok then too but after having a child its not their place, the job is fine, its just not for mothers with kids no matter how old the kids are but I will bring it down to minors, which is more relevant.

Husband, gramps, aunts, older kids and nannies are not meant to do this for you while you trot across the globe with no care doing a job that single women or women without kids should be doing,.

CALMSP

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 25):

essentially, you are calling for no moms to be employed at all. Whats the difference if a woman is in a job that requires some travel? What if a mom is a doctor?

Being a flight attendant is no different.

Aeroflot777

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 26):
Being a flight attendant is no different.

Apparently, for 777way, this only applies to flight attendants. Regardless of the fact that there are tons of other occupations out there that require employees to be away from home. What an ignorant way of thought.

What if a mom is a doctor?

No, no, CALMSP. Only "hosties".

777way

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:38 pm

Nothing to do with being away from home also actually, it just dosent suit a woman whos becomes a mother to be doing that job after having kids.

Mothers should not be kept as cabin crew.

essentially, you are calling for no moms to be employed at all.

Did I say that anywhere? did you bother reading the posts? only as trolly dollys.

Since i'm repeating myself I wont bother postng again, have said everything the trolls will keep trolling.

[Edited 2015-08-29 16:47:53]

MrHMSH

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 28):
Did I say that anywhere? did you bother reading the posts? only as trolly dollys.

You have said things like:

No, if you noticed I said mothers should do ANY other job but not cabin crew
Only as hosties

So what is the difference between a flight attendant and another working woman who must spend time away from home? Must they not work? You have said this should only apply to FAs, but I don't see why in that case it doesn't apply to any woman that works away from home.

Husband, gramps, aunts, older kids and nannies are not meant to do this for you

That can happen anywhere, it's common everywhere to see family helping out, even if the family is all local. A friend of mine in Spain has a large family, and his siblings have kids, and they are looked after a fair amount by other siblings and the grandparents. And in the UK in general it is common for grandparents to look after children some of the time.

So many smlall kids lost their mothers in crashes when it needant have been that way.

People die in many ways. Old age, disease, heart attacks, organ failure, transport related (don't have to be employed by a transport firm, don't even have to be being transported!), murder, accidents at work, natural disasters... but while approximately 56 million people die each year, the number of deaths from flying is low, in 2014 (a bad year), 1328 people dies, a percentage of 0.000024. I don't see why mothers should be banned from flying for fear of leaving children behind when flying is one of the places where an FA is least likely to die. Otherwise they should stop driving, stop working, not go near people, avoid natural disaster areas (sorry Japan and California, you're not allowed to have children anymore). Furthermore fathers shouldn't work either, as men are often the breadwinners, their deaths should be avoided. No more pilots! It's pointless and stupid.

CALMSP

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 am

Trolling? No. Simply more educated and not discriminatory like you are.

BerenErchamion

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:53 am

Why shouldn't a man who just became a father who works as a flight attendant quit, then?

copter808

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 am

More so in airlines where you have to be based in their countries.
Quoting 777way (Reply 12):

Congratulations, you have just won the title of the "Most Sexist and IGNORANT Person I Have Ever Met" award!!!

I find your comments ignorant and rather offensive.

And YOU sir, have made an UNDERSTATEMENT!!

In the civilized world we permit women to work if they want to. Millions of families have both parents working and still manage to handle child care responsibilities. And in some cases the mother is the one who works full time and the father stays at home to raise the child. In other cases it might be the grandparents, but in ALL cases it is not YOUR place to tell them what they should do mr. 777way!

copter808

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:41 am

OK, so they should not be allowed to remain as "Hosties" then. Would it be ok for them to be police officers working the midnight shift then? Or pilots and away from home for several days at a time? And we will still allow MALE "hosties" to work after having kids?

You make no sense, but we're waiting for you to offer some reasonable explanation. Please, fill us in as to why we are wrong.

Web500sjc

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:48 am

Just talk about the subject, he is a troll.

Brewfangrb

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:45 am

Why, SPECIFICALLY? Do NOT come back with "because they are away from their child" because you've already stipulated that women should be able to ANY OTHER job besides FA. And lots of jobs require travel, long hours at the office or are outright hazardous. Note: If backtrack now and try to exclude other careers, you'll expose yourself for what you are: A misogynistic man who's better suited to the 1950s.

This statement is nonsensical.

All I can do is laugh at this. Preposterous. Children have lost MILLIONS of mothers in 1000s of other ways. Being a FA is one of the best ways to ensure a child grows up with a living mother. Goodness.

And you think doing what it would take to get promoted to chairman (I assume you mean CEO, here) is good for the child? That anyone that makes it to CEO does so by working 40 hour weeks, Monday-Friday, never working late, never travelling, never taking work home?

Nothing to do with being away from home also actually, it just dosent suit a woman whos becomes a mother to be doing that job after having kids.

Still never explained why THIS career when 1000s of other careers (for either gender) are more dangerous, more stressful or require more hours. You're a troll and I took the bait.

EBGflyer

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:47 am

Wnen you become a mother you have to have a normal routine job if not stay at home, not this especially not with Gulf carriers based elsewhere, live in dorm like setup, visiting home few times a month, why did you have kids if you still want to live like you did when you didnt.

This job is not for mothers period, they did it as single women, they got married it was ok then too but after having a child its not their place, the job is fine, its just not for mothers with kids no matter how old the kids are but I will bring it down to minors, which is more relevant.

Husband, gramps, aunts, older kids and nannies are not meant to do this for you while you trot across the globe with no care doing a job that single women or women without kids should be doing,.

Could your opinion be due to the fact that you according to your profile is from Pakistan and your family setups are a little different? I think you should see how things work in the western world and then you would understand that freedom and choice is key to making satisfied and good employees. Compared to Western employees the practices of QR are beyond human with extreme control bordering modern slavery. You think Western employees have to check in at a compound when they are off at their home base?

If one can balance work life and life as a parent with the help of the system or the family (and many can) then I don't see why not.

zeke

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
What is the situation with other carriers.

Where I work the local regulator sees advanced pregnancy as being a medical condition that is incomparable with flying for both pilots and cabin crew. The company redeploys the staff into non flying jobs for the duration of their medical condition being incompatible with their safety critical role, this is consistent with the way other medical conditions are handled.

On the face of the article, I see QR adopting worlds best practice in this area.

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, 777way managed to turn this thread into a massive dumpster fire, I'm sorry folks, that wasn't my intention in starting this thread.

Also I love that he keeps speaking of "hosties" (such a derogatory term) but not female pilots, who might work similar rosters. I imagine it doesn't even occur to him that female pilots might exist, might get married, and might start families.

And yeah, a "chairman" of an airline company is going to clock in at 9 and leave at 5 Monday to Friday and not work any overtime. What a load of garbage.

And also, yeah female flight attendants are vapid and pursuing their dream and cavorting around the world, but their male counterparts are what then? And if a male flight attendant becomes a father, does he get to keep his job by 777way's line of thought? Or should he accept a ground position too?

One of my best friends is the daughter of a Delta flight attendant who has been flying with them for 30+ years - they have a great relationship, love each other dearly and loved the benefits she used to get! And I've spoken to countless cabin crew from American carriers who have children, most of them grown but at some point I assume were kids, and while challenging always spoke of their love of the job and more so their love of their children. I remember a UA flight attendant I had ended up speaking to for a while in the galley started to talk about her daughter who had just started college in California...then took a photo out of her uniform pocket and showed it to me and said how proud of her she was and that she never flies without it. Being a mother and deciding to continue flying after maternity leave DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE THEM A BAD PARENT!!!

OB1504

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:05 pm

It's a start, but QR (and Qatar in general) still has a lot of catching up to do.

Mothers should not be kept as cabin crew.

How do you have Internet access when you're clearly living in the 19th century?

vfw614

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Wow wow, is this the 1950s a.net vintage edition?

Cannot believe what I am reading here. What next? Ban all female a.net members because they should rather spend their time cooking their husbands a meal and give the master of the household a neck massage instead of wasting their time on the internet?

pvjin

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 40):

Let's not forget that in many parts of the world equality between genders is a very much unknown concept and women's role in the society is seen very different from that in the western world. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion regarding QR's treatment of their female cabin crew.

[Edited 2015-08-30 09:07:13]

vfw614

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:24 pm

I know - I am not naive and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I personally agree with art. 25.2 of the Pakistani Constitution: "There shall be no discrimination on the basis of sex."

ytz

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:08 pm

But it's okay for children to put up with absent fathers right?

I notice that fathers have no responsibility for child rearing in your framework. Would you suggest that male cabin crew or pilots be dismissed after having children? Or is termination due to child bearing, a female specific penalty?

Let's be clear. You are imposing a very conservative Asian-cultural specific point of view and trying to justify it as universally applicable. Sorry, but most of the developed world has moved on from insisting that women must stay at home and take care of the kids.

ytz

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 29):
So what is the difference between a flight attendant and another working woman who must spend time away from home? Must they not work? You have said this should only apply to FAs, but I don't see why in that case it doesn't apply to any woman that works away from home.

Let's call it out for what it is. In some parts of the world, the FA job is somewhat sexualized. As in FAs, are kind of viewed as sex objects. Eye candy for those wealthy enough to fly. Having women who are mothers taken on that job, kind of ruins the fantasy for some.....

Our friend here just doesn't want to say that out loud. That's why he's trying to sell it to us, as a policy, that's good for the child. This is also why he doesn't discuss pilots, male FAs, etc.

Personally, I think an FA who gets a fair amount of down time at home, probably gets more quality time with her children than a mom who works a 9-5 job and is harried by 1.5 hrs of commute on either end. The job, however, does require more contribution from the spouse or extended family while the crew member is away. But this is also true for example of jobs like firefighters (where they routinely work 36-48hr shifts).

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 38):
And yeah, a "chairman" of an airline company is going to clock in at 9 and leave at 5 Monday to Friday and not work any overtime. What a load of garbage.

Forget the hours. You ever met an executive who doesn't average at least a trip a month?

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 42):
I know - I am not naive and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I personally agree with art. 25.2 of the Pakistani Constitution: "There shall be no discrimination on the basis of sex."

In that part of the world, a lot of their laws are more aspirational than actually effective legalese....

copter808

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:37 pm

DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE THEM A BAD PARENT!!!

Right on!! Not to mention that the family travel benefits and the ability to learn more about the world because of travel.

Well, 777way managed to turn this thread into a massive dumpster fire, I'm sorry folks, that wasn't my intention in starting this thread.

Not to worry. Dumpster fires are easy to extinguish and seldom do any real damage. I think we have dumped enough water on it to put it out!

However, 777way has shown us that in some parts of the world family values are quite different than what we are used to. He has also shown us some extremely negative traits, but these are likely from his cultural experience.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos