Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EMAman
Topic Author

Air Asia QZ8501 - Final REPORT, When?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Does anybody know when we can expect a final report on the Air Asia QZ8501 crash on Dec 28th 2014?

cheeken

RE: Air Asia QZ8501 - Final REPORT, When?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 pm

doesn't it usually take a year and a half? I guess we're seeing a report release mid 2016?

EMAman
Topic Author

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 pm

I thought they initially said August 2015

Does anybody know why no preliminary report issued?

This usually gives some clues as to the possible final conclusions.

AIRWALK

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting EMAman (Reply 2):

It wasn't made public. ICAO requires a preliminary report within 30 days following an accident, but it doesn't have to be released.
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

mandala499

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 am

Quoting EMAman (Thread starter):
Does anybody know when we can expect a final report on the Air Asia QZ8501 crash on Dec 28th 2014?

Why are people so impatient when it comes to final reports when it comes to an accident in Indonesia, yet when it's in other countries, they don't ask when when when, even if takes more than a year? I can't recall "global impatience" with TransAsia ATR72 cases though...

The analysis phase is complete, the report is being drafted and reviewed by those pertinent to the final report.
A slight drawback is that the head of the NTSC is being changed today as the former head goes off into retirement.

I would expect anytime between September and December for the final report to be released.

Most of the previous cases took 9 to 12 months between accident and final report. And the record was 5 months and 21 days or so, for the Sukhoi Superjet crash.

Quoting EMAman (Reply 2):

This usually gives some clues as to the possible final conclusions.

I guess you missed the press conference back in January. The preliminary report was made, but not made public (as there is no obligation to do so), but the press conference did state what happened. This was discussed on the QZ8501 thread in a.net too.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

EMAman
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 4):
Why are people so impatient when it comes to final reports when it comes to an accident in Indonesia, yet when it's in other countries, they don't ask when when when, even if takes more than a year? I can't recall "global impatience" with TransAsia ATR72 cases though...

I don't know why you think I am impatient due to it being in Indonesia, I just had a particular curiosity/interest about certain aspects of this accident.

I guess you missed the press conference back in January. The preliminary report was made, but not made public (as there is no obligation to do so), but the press conference did state what happened. This was discussed on the QZ8501 thread in a.net too.

I didn't miss the press conference, however, I read articles which denied/retracted the story that was put forward, so was unsure what to believe.

mandala499

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 am

Quoting EMAman (Reply 5):
I don't know why you think I am impatient due to it being in Indonesia, I just had a particular curiosity/interest about certain aspects of this accident.

Maybe you're not impatient, but there has been many others who were... just gets tiring to see.

Quoting EMAman (Reply 5):
I didn't miss the press conference, however, I read articles which denied/retracted the story that was put forward, so was unsure what to believe.

The facts were as they put out.
The part that was put forward and refuted was the part alleging the captain pulling the circuit breakers out of his seat, which if true would need further analysis than the version claimed which does not cover any other attempts made by the crew, which to me sounded too far fetched.
The plane ending up at 38000 with a low speed was fact, and the subsequent fall, was fact.
Not many other facts were released to the public.

EMAman
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 3):
It wasn't made public. ICAO requires a preliminary report within 30 days following an accident, but it doesn't have to be released.

Is there any obvious reason for the secrecy, or indeed is such commonplace?

celestar

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:21 am

The analysis phase is complete, the report is being drafted and reviewed by those pertinent to the final report.
A slight drawback is that the head of the NTSC is being changed today as the former head goes off into retirement.

I would expect anytime between September and December for the final report to be released.

Most of the previous cases took 9 to 12 months between accident and final report. And the record was 5 months and 21 days or so, for the Sukhoi Superjet crash.

The public has a right to know what is the root cause. Even though granted that early report would or may not be the final one, we, as public need to know and avoid airlines with lax control etc. If it is a mechanical issue related, I am sure both Boeing and Airbus would love to know as early as possible. I do agree with your statement about the Transasia crash in Taipei where I reside. The most ironic thing was how media praise the pilot for purposely avoiding building in banking hard left….. We all need to think there are heroes around…..

mandala499

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:53 am

Quoting EMAman (Reply 7):
Is there any obvious reason for the secrecy, or indeed is such commonplace?

Yes, one being politicizing accidents, and witch hunting, which can be a hurdle to the ongoing investigation.
We already have the Minister of Transport blaming the airline for "not carrying the right weather information" based on the Surabaya Met Office saying Air Asia only picked up the 7am weather info at 10am or so... The media picked up on that and started claiming Air Asia flies with no weather information as a cost cutting measure, etc. Public panicked. However, no one asked what weather information the flight carried, which, was the weather information released at 1am which was valid for the flight. The public's desire for quick finger pointing, is the reason for the restraint... and opportunistic politicians, can make it a lot worse.

The focus by the NTSC is to complete the report as complete as possible within the shortest period of time. Rightly or wrongly, that is the mandate they work on.

Seeing how accidents are covered and politicized here, I reluctantly agree that the preliminary report not being made public here is a good thing. Until how we, the Indonesian people and politicians, can deal with such accidents in a more mature manner, I prefer that the limited disclosure to remain, on condition that the final report is fully disclosed.
As little as 10 yrs ago, even the final report was not made public...

Quoting celestar (Reply 8):
The public has a right to know what is the root cause.

It is NTSC policy to not reveal root cause in preliminary report as preliminary report do not contain analysis hence such information can be "misused".

Even though granted that early report would or may not be the final one, we, as public need to know and avoid airlines with lax control etc.

If there is evidence that should raise alarms on how the airline operates, it would be in the preliminary report, which the regulator is on the receipt list, this enables the regulator to take necessary actions based on the factual findings to protect the public.

If it is a mechanical issue related, I am sure both Boeing and Airbus would love to know as early as possible.

The preliminary report, is shared with the manufacturers. This enables the manufacturer(s) to take necessary actions based on factual findings to protect the public.

The most ironic thing was how media praise the pilot for purposely avoiding building in banking hard left….. We all need to think there are heroes around…

Ironic indeed... while the left wing dropping could have simply been the left wing stalling before the right wing given the very low speed and high angle of attack. But that's for another topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos