Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atcsundevil

RE: Phoenix Arizona Aviation Thread Part 15

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 48):
Think it's been longer than that. The last time I remember AC 767s in PHX regularly was probably 15 years ago at least when they were still over at T2. I can only verify back to 2005 but it's been all 32S/E190 since then; their 321s were even a rare sight for a few years.

I remember seeing them fairly regularly pre-2010, if I remember correctly anyway. I can recall seeing an AC 763 on at least a half dozen occasions. I moved to PHX in 2007, so my recollections would have to be during that time. Granted they were seasonal upgauges only, but I recall seeing them on multiple occasions. I suppose then it could be a difference in opinion on what "regular" is defined as, but it's more regular than the past 5-6 years, and certainly more regular than the vast majority of carriers operating from PHX.

cathay747

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 47):
MBR - Missed Bag Ratio - mishandled bags per 1000 bags handled
PSS - Passenger Services System - these are your systems that handle inventory, sales, check-in, etc.
SSR - Special Service Request - things like wheelchair assistance
Prospect - basically a contract airport services company. For US/AA, they're most noticeable as the people pushing the wheelchairs and driving the carts around in the concourses (handling SSRs).
ASR - Alkali-Silica Reaction - this is the main reason behind the PCC (Portland concrete cement) replacement at T4. When the reaction occurs it creates a gel that slowly expands and builds up over time, increasing pressure within the panels. They eventually crack and fail prematurely.

Thanks for all of this and for lifting the fog!
Try a Little VC-10derness

alasizon

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 49):

AC has operated a Rouge 767 2x a week during most of the summer. It dropped off along with the T/Th only flight right before Labor Day.

Yesterday, in addition to the Sabre issues hitting AA, PHX also had a grey water leak that hit the full service side of the ticket counter and the oversize bag belt.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

wn676

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 50):
I remember seeing them fairly regularly pre-2010, if I remember correctly anyway. I can recall seeing an AC 763 on at least a half dozen occasions. I moved to PHX in 2007, so my recollections would have to be during that time. Granted they were seasonal upgauges only, but I recall seeing them on multiple occasions. I suppose then it could be a difference in opinion on what "regular" is defined as, but it's more regular than the past 5-6 years, and certainly more regular than the vast majority of carriers operating from PHX.

Huh, interesting. Not discounting your recollection at all, I just don't remember seeing any at all for the years I worked at PHX until RV came along. I can usually trust what I'm checking electronically for basic numbers but it can get a little funny when it comes to tails and equipment types. Makes me curious to know now.

Either way, it's great to see more daylight widebody ops here. C'mon WestJet...you know you want to!
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

wn676

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Don't know if anyone has seen the latest ACIP put out by ADOT, but there's some interesting projects buried in there for PHX. Notably, in addition to the ongoing T4 apron and T3 Mod projects:

- New Master Plan development (that they hopefully won't hide and bury from public view)
- West Cargo apron recon
- South Cargo apron expansion
- Phased construction of TW Victor

Interesting to see they plan to expand South Cargo...wondering where exactly they intend on placing all that new apron. And when they finally do decide to go ahead with Victor (seems as if the design is already underway?) that's going to be one heck of a mess plowing through East Air Cargo and across SHB.

dlramp4life

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:26 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 54):

I feel that South Cargo is pretty maxed out and it is tight. There is so much space at West Cargo as well as East Cargo, plus all the abandoned warehouses at West Cargo.

wn676

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 55):
I feel that South Cargo is pretty maxed out and it is tight. There is so much space at West Cargo as well as East Cargo, plus all the abandoned warehouses at West Cargo.

Short of moving Cutter, the only space I can see would be the parking lots/AC pavement areas to the south and west of the current apron; where they store trailers, dollies, ULDs, etc., as well as the courier lot, the ASDE-X tower and whatever's in that shack. It roughly matches the area too (52,000 SY).

I was under the impression that those east side warehouse buildings at West Cargo sat on the alignment for Victor, however, with the construction of that far west hold bay on the north side, I'm not sure where that taxiway is going to go now.

cageyjames

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 54):
ongoing T4 apron

What is the status on that? I heard it was stalled because nobody wanted to bid on it. Did they get it moving forward? I haven't seen anything happening on T4N yet.

wn676

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Quoting cageyjames (Reply 57):
What is the status on that? I heard it was stalled because nobody wanted to bid on it. Did they get it moving forward? I haven't seen anything happening on T4N yet.

Banicki ended up getting the CMAR, should be starting in December last I heard (think Alasizon posted in the last thread about that too).

cageyjames

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 58):
Banicki ended up getting the CMAR

Best of luck to them.   

4holer

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:33 am

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

910A

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 60):
A 727 is inbound!
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELX773

Isn't that the Colorado Rockies plane?

treebeard787

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:54 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 61):
Isn't that the Colorado Rockies plane?

It is the indeed the Rockies charter aircraft. Tail number is N17773.
Allons-y!

cathay747

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 pm

From another thread:

http://wyomingbusinessreport.com/gre...uld-face-asset-seizure-on-default/

The airline defaulted on a $27.5 million loan and could face asset seizure.

"Great Lakes also admitted it doesn’t think it will be able to comply with its loan requirements throughout the rest of 2015, calling to question further the solvency of the company."

Soooooo, if this happens, there goes commercial air service @ PRC!
Anybody think AA Eagle would step in to/from PHX? I've always wondered
why US never did this, at least 1 turn per day?

DiamondFlyer

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 63):
Soooooo, if this happens, there goes commercial air service @ PRC!
Anybody think AA Eagle would step in to/from PHX? I've always wondered

No, most likely would be Boutique Air taking over the route, with their PC-12 operation.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

cathay747

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 64):
No, most likely would be Boutique Air taking over the route, with their PC-12 operation.

I realized right after I posted the above the stupidity of my question...I forgot
that US withdrew all the Dash 8's from PHX, and I don't see AA using CRJ's
for PHX/PRC/PHX...unless...what if they did a circle-trip PHX/PRC/SDX/PHX?

Just spit-balling...I realize there's a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.

alasizon

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:39 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 58):

It starts late November starting with N1.

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 65):

The only routing I could see working would PHX-PRC-LAS and back but that is such a shot in the dark and PRC is really stuck in the middle of PHX and FLG which really hampers it.

If there was a Beech 1900 equivalent aircraft, I could see the market along with Havasu and the actual Grand Canyon airport being serviced, but I just don't see it.

As a side note, the new AA podiums are not holding up as well as expected, pieces have fallen on passengers and some were damaged on install. They are solid materials but the construction is poor.

cathay747

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Quoting alasizon (Reply 66):
The only routing I could see working would PHX-PRC-LAS and back but that is such a shot in the dark and PRC is really stuck in the middle of PHX and FLG which really hampers it.

Yeah, that would probably be a better routing, tying in Vegas,
but I agree w/you, especially given the price of AZ Shuttle's van
service between PRC & PHX. But one can dream.

INFINITI329

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:46 pm

If there was a Beech 1900 equivalent aircraft, I could see the market along with Havasu and the actual Grand Canyon airport being serviced, but I just don't see it.

I think YV has some B1900 stored. If the money is there YV can run PHX-PRC/SDX themselves and allow AA to codeshare on it or let AA have it added to their CPA.

Maverick623

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 63):
I've always wondered

US (Mesa) did operate the route for a very short time around 2009 I believe, until Great Lakes picked up the EAS contract.

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 68):
I think YV has some B1900 stored. If the money is there YV can run PHX-PRC/SDX themselves and allow AA to codeshare on it or let AA have it added to their CPA.

They can't justify the expense of pulling an airplane or two out of mothballs, creating a new type bid, training, etc... for only one mission.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

atcsundevil

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Great Lakes wanted to run PRC-PHX, but PRC officials refused to grant EAS funding to them unless the flight operated from Terminal 4 to maximize connecting opportunities. Great Lakes codeshared with UA and had office space in T2 at a rate they'd never receive in T4, so changing terminals wasn't an option. There were several attempts 5-6 years ago to move them to T4 (along with mumblings of closing T2 during the height of the recession due to decreased traffic), but it never materialized. Turns out it was good they kept T2 open -- otherwise, the T3 project would be very difficult to proceed in the manner it has.

Maverick623

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:28 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 70):
Great Lakes wanted to run PRC-PHX, but PRC officials refused to grant EAS funding to them unless the flight operated from Terminal 4 to maximize connecting opportunities.

Unless I'm missing something, EAS funds are granted directly to the airline from the DOT.

atcsundevil

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 71):

My mistake -- not EAS, grants/incentives offered by the airport. I need to avoid multitasking while posting to a.net in the future! Those incentives would have guaranteed some level of profitability for the route for ZK since PRC (I believe) isn't eligible for EAS to PHX.

cathay747

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:36 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 69):
US (Mesa) did operate the route for a very short time around 2009 I believe, until Great Lakes picked up the EAS contract.

Jeez, I have no memory of this, and my mom & stepdad (retired
UAL, so we spoke of airline things ALL the time!) have lived in PRC
since the mid 90's, and I came out here/there many times. I presume
YV operated 1900's?

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 69):
They can't justify the expense of pulling an airplane or two out of mothballs, creating a new type bid, training, etc... for only one mission.

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 70):
Great Lakes wanted to run PRC-PHX, but PRC officials refused to grant EAS funding to them unless the flight operated from Terminal 4 to maximize connecting opportunities. Great Lakes codeshared with UA and had office space in T2 at a rate they'd never receive in T4, so changing terminals wasn't an option. There were several attempts 5-6 years ago to move them to T4 (along with mumblings of closing T2 during the height of the recession due to decreased traffic), but it never materialized. Turns out it was good they kept T2 open -- otherwise, the T3 project would be very difficult to proceed in the manner it has.

VERY interesting, never knew this; even my stepdad, who was involved
with the PRC Chamber of Commerce never mentioned this, so I guess he
didn't now either. But I can see the logic of PRC's requirement for that grant.
The one and only time I ever managed to fly ZK on the route was waaaaay
back in 2006 PRC-PHX, booked/ticketed as ZK not UA code-share, as we
were connecting to AA. I got a decent fare that made it worth it vs. the drive
with Shuttle U, but I have to tell you, that connection from T2 to AA over at
T3 was a bit of a pain, even though ZK very kindly thru-checked our bags,
(even though it was separate tickets) so at least we didn't have to schlep
those. Side-note: it was the first time in decades I'd seen an old-style hand-
written bag tag!!! Don't know whether that's all they used or if it was because
we were making an interline connection and they didn't have our onward flights
in their res. system/DCS, so they had no choice...whatever it was, sure was
amusing! And our bags made it all the way to DCA, no problem!!

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 72):
(I believe) isn't eligible for EAS to PHX.

Correct, you are probably remembering the change in EAS rules...something
about if there is air service within 100 miles or so, EAS funding is kaput.

atcsundevil

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 73):

I'm pretty sure they still use those hand written bag tags sometimes. LOL. My old roommate worked for ZK for a while a few years ago, so I got to hear some hilarious stories. It makes the show Wings look like a documentary.

Changing terminals anywhere at PHX is a pain in the ass. It's a little better with the train open now, but it still doesn't change the fact that passengers still have to reclear security. It just highlights the multiple decades in poor planning for PHX that took a $1bil+ project to only partially remedy.

Regarding EAS, that's correct. A few years ago they really started clamping down on the restrictions, but not far enough in my opinion. It shouldn't harm cities like SOW or PGA who need some form of air link to the most important city in the state, but there are still dozens of cities on the EAS list that don't belong. Even though PRC-PHX isn't eligible, it should be able to fill several seats on a daily flight.

chrisair

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:04 pm

So, which one of you US ramp agents here forgot to send the W&B numbers to operations for my flight on Tuesday?  

GSP psgr

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen either WN or AA take a stab at PHX-MEM after DL cut the route; it seems like something that would make sense for either carrier, and it's even just short enough that Eagle could do it with a CR9. To a lesser extent, the same thing with CVG, though a CR9 on that route would be pushing things. Perhaps we could also see BNA and RDU back as spokes as well due to the strong LAA presence in both markets, but they're up against WN there.

wn676

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:27 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 75):

So, which one of you US ramp agents here forgot to send the W&B numbers to operations for my flight on Tuesday?  

Tsk tsk...DRCF before you push!

Anyone know if LUS ramp has transitioned to the AA scanners yet?

Maverick623

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 77):

Anyone know if LUS ramp has transitioned to the AA scanners yet?

Yep. Been officially using them since June. A new internal scan tracking program called "Prime" (As in Optimus Prime, the developers are huge Transformers fans) went online a couple of weeks ago, giving real time information for leads and managers to track the movement of bags in a very user-friendly format. T-link (a program bag runners use to deliver bags) goes online mid-November.

The res cutover happens at 10PM Arizona time (midnight Central) on October 16th. Shouldn't be too many issues, as QIK was retained as the overlay for Sabre, and there's a reduced flight schedule on the 16th and 17th. I don't believe any AA flights depart PHX from 8:15pm til 5AM the next morning, so plenty of time to fix the kinks when the switch is flipped.

910A

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 76):
I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen either WN or AA take a stab at PHX-MEM after DL

America West attempted this starting back in April 2003, with an CR-9 2x daily service. It didn't survive; so that alone should hint there wasn't much business to justify maintaining this route.

GSP psgr

Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:45 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 79):
America West attempted this starting back in April 2003, with an CR-9 2x daily service. It didn't survive; so that alone should hint there wasn't much business to justify maintaining this route.

Yeah, but back then you also had NW flying the route once or twice daily, which is no longer the case. I think a daily CR9 would be a good start.

910A

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 80):
Quoting 910A (Reply 79):

Yeah, but back then you also had NW flying the route once or twice daily, which is no longer the case. I think a daily CR9 would be a good start.

G4: MEM to Phoenix/Mesa Williams Gateway starts in December

asqx

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting GSP psgr (Reply 80):

Even after US Airways dropped their flights to MEM, Delta's loads were never that great. The only reason the two daily A319s were anywhere close to full were the connections beyond MEM. On any given flight the local traffic was less than 20 passengers. Most of the time the planes were booked to around 100 pax and near 90 of them were connections. There just wasn't enough local traffic to sustain the route as the hub was drawn down.

As for American, it's probably a lot simpler for them to route westward traffic via DFW than a long flight to Phoenix on an RJ.

hz747300

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 pm

They are solid materials but the construction is poor.

This happened to me too when I used workers I found in the Home Depot parking lot.....

Quoting 910A (Reply 79):
America West attempted this starting back in April 2003, with an CR-9 2x daily service.
Quoting asqx (Reply 82):
Most of the time the planes were booked to around 100 pax and near 90 of them were connections. There just wasn't enough local traffic to sustain the route as the hub was drawn down.

Not that the airline cares, but this seems a bit long for CR9 service as a passenger. I did PHX-AUS, and even though that you spend most of your time sitting, just getting up and going to the loo, is a pain--I'm not that tall, but find it cramped. I'd much rather see an E170 on the route.

Given what is written here, then, MEM is probably better served on WN (from PHX) as connections theoretically are on both sides.
Keep on truckin'...

wn676

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 78):
T-link (a program bag runners use to deliver bags) goes online mid-November.

RIP to the fine art of CONX Origami.

alasizon

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:04 am

Quoting asqx (Reply 82):
As for American, it's probably a lot simpler for them to route westward traffic via DFW than a long flight to Phoenix on an RJ.

This is pretty much AA's strategy. There is very little Regional overflying and for the most part, the markets that can be served from PHX will be.

MTJ this winter sees an increase in service. Last winter it was 2x CRJ, this winter it is 2x CR9, 5x CRJ (with CR9s on the Saturday and Tuesday services).

HMO will see the second CRJ added in November, BFL will see the upgauge of a flight to a CR9 starting today and YVR will see the return of the CR9 in January. DRO will see a 4th frequency the whole winter this year, not just 4x per week. GDL remains now 2x CR9 and 1x 319 until mid-November.

As far as E175s go, they are still slated for January on the PHX-LAX RT.

OO CR2s from LAX are making their way to PHX, the first one arrived today as the spare and is parked out at T3.

Other than that, expect the last of the new AA podiums to go in this week and very little US signage will be left on the night of cutover. The last US flight departs PHX at 20:10 or so with only a few stragglers in the 21:45 area that are all Eagle flights. Any flights delayed out past 20:30 on the 16th will be automatically cancelled to prevent any issues.

910A

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 83):
I'd much rather see an E170 on the route.

Northwest did exactly this for awhile.

chrisair

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Construction/installation issues aside, I like the AA podiums. I always thought the US ones were horrifically out dated.

Quoting alasizon (Reply 85):
very little US signage will be left on the night of cutover.

Anyone want to grab me the huge USAirways sign that's on the ticket counter wall? 

In other signage news, the USAirways sign from their Tempe HQ building is gone, and the old WN sign has come down from their hangar.

alasizon

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 87):

When the US Airways sign in the B1 walkway came down a week ago, you could see the old glue that had held it up. It was in the shape of the America West logo.

The logo on the Tempe HQ, will not be replaced according to the internal memos.

INFINITI329

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting alasizon (Reply 88):
The logo on the Tempe HQ, will not be replaced according to the internal memos.

What are the plans for the building?

alasizon

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 89):

Officially, the lease is up next year or 2017 and "Corporate Real Estate" is working on renewing the lease. I don't know if they will keep it or not, AA is big on shifting things to DFW. How the PHX Gateway (can't call ourselves a hub anymore) looks in a year may very well determine what happens.

Maverick623

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 89):
What are the plans for the building?

Oh someone will take it over. One of the TV stations did an interview with a Tempe official, who basically said "We don't need them anyways, business is booming, bye Felicia!"

cathay747

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Does anyone know (reliably) what BA's O&D figures are
for PHX? Or this this info somehow out there in the public
domain?

I've recently been wondering what percentage of BA's loads
here are O&D PHX and how many pax connect here to the
flight from places like, say, TUS, YUM, FLG, etc. Would also
be interesting to see what all the connecting markets are...
obviously not LAS since BA flies there...ABQ? PSP?

hz747300

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Quoting cathay747 (Reply 92):
Does anyone know (reliably) what BA's O&D figures are for PHX? Or this this info somehow out there in the public domain?

I've always thought is that the flight is driven more by connections the other way, ie, PHX/AZ travelers going to Europe, Middle East, Africa, South Asia via London.

It would be interesting to know how much local traffic there is on either end, and what support could be for a second trans-Atlantic flight.
Keep on truckin'...

cathay747

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 93):
I've always thought is that the flight is driven more by connections the other way, ie, PHX/AZ travelers going to Europe, Middle East, Africa, South Asia via London.

Well yes, I've wondered about that too, but I was more curious about
the PHX end of things.

alasizon

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:16 pm

For some gating news:
A24 closes on Nov 4th for restriping (to allow a 321). It will reopen on Nov 10th.
A22 closes on Nov 11th for restriping. It will reopen on Nov 13. I believe this changes the angle of the lead-in line.
A20 closes on Nov 17th for restriping and reopens on Nov 20th.
A18 closes on Nov 19th for restriping and fire lane changes. It reopens on Nov 21st
A28 closes permanently on Dec 1st.

ASR Phase One begins Nov 16th and runs through January 11th. During this time, B13 and point November will be closed.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 95):

Seems like AA is going to be really tight on gates during peaks with the ASR combined with losing A28.

alasizon

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 96):

The tightness we have was due to many gates not being 321 compatible. So while we lose A28, everything will eventually be 321 compatible which will loosen the restrictions a little bit. Part of losing A28 though I believe has to also do with either A26 or A30 possibly becoming 332/763 qualified (at a different angle) so that the widebodies no longer have to park at N4. This hasn't been confirmed yet though.

The ASR project has 50+ phases. This phase is one of the longest and I believe through the end of 2016 will get us to phase 15 or 16.

As far as regating goes, only the definitive dates are set for N1 and that carries through to February.

cathay747

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 97):
The ASR project

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this? ASR?

Separate note...the BA flight has returned to being
a 4-class 744...14F/52J/36W/235Y.

atcsundevil

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:40 pm

I saw Hawaiian parked just west of T3 yesterday afternoon...seems like a strange time for it to be here. I guess it went tech?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos