Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANA787
Topic Author

DL Adds SEA-YEG

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:23 pm

wedgetail737

RE: DL Adds SEA-YEG

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:57 pm

It was just a matter of time. I would imagine more DL flights into SEA (mainly from the Midwest or East Coast) in the
not-too-distant future.

yeginleduc

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Once a day doesn't seem like enough for connections for their Asian hub. With the current timings, the eastbound connections will still have to connect to AS or wait a very long day in SEA after landing in North America. Plus the 0900 YEGSEA departure seems like a long time for the aircraft to sit on a RON. Seems like DL could better utilize the aircraft if it left in the very early time like all the other airlines leaving YEG.

Anyways, Like everyone else thinks. It was only a matter of time before this one started.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Did anyone notice before they said about time that this is a Delta Connection flight not a Delta flight. CRJ-700 vs Horizon Q400 & Skywest E175 operated for Alaska. Lets just say Commuter connection for Delta, not make it sound like a mainline flight. Also as alaska already had 2 commuter flights that can connect for their "partner" Delta. why would Delta add them other than to spite Alaska that they now seem to want to remove from existence. I'd pay more to fly the Alaska commuters at this point just to snub Deltas blatant attack on Alaska. And I'm an old time Delta flyer Used to fly in & out of Cincinnati all the time. Delta was a great airline that played nice back then. Now they are becoming the 300 lb. bully.

mayor

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 3):
Delta was a great airline that played nice back then. Now they are becoming the 300 lb. bully.

If DL had kept "playing nice" from 9/11 on, I doubt if they would have survived, at all, even thru the bankruptcy, etc. They are doing the same thing everyone else is doing........the industry is full of 300 "bullies", which they have to be to survive.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Whiteguy

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Quoting yeginleduc (Reply 2):
Once a day doesn't seem like enough for connections for their Asian hub. With the current timings, the eastbound connections will still have to connect to AS or wait a very long day in SEA after landing in North America. Plus the 0900 YEGSEA departure seems like a long time for the aircraft to sit on a RON. Seems like DL could better utilize the aircraft if it left in the very early time like all the other airlines leaving YEG.

Anyways, Like everyone else thinks. It was only a matter of time before this one started.

Aircraft is on the ground for 10 hrs, not really that long. Not sure who the operator is or what their crew rest requirements are but that's likely the reason for ground times.

northwestEWR

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 5):
Aircraft is on the ground for 10 hrs, not really that long. Not sure who the operator is or what their crew rest requirements are but that's likely the reason for ground times.

It's a CRJ-700 so likely going to be SkyWest. That ground time would make sense so they can do both legs with the same crew.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

hiflyeras

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Assumed they were already flying this...they've already copied nearly every AS route out of SEA with RJ's. Rumor has it that their international hub isn't doing so hot other than AMS and NRT.

SLCUT2777

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Most of the revenue $$$ for DL out of YEG point to MSP as the best hub of choice. SLC did ok, but not good enough (2005-2009). My take is AS, WS & AC have a corner on the west coast traffic out of YEG.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

IPFreely

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:47 pm

This route will fail. I give it 4 months at the most.

ASFlyer

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:56 pm

This is just a place for them to park a plane. Their resources at SEA are drying up.

yegbey01

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:16 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 9):

What are you basing this on?

yeginleduc

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:45 pm

I would like to know what the 4 month prediction is based on as well. As long as DL sticks with its SEA hub this route should stick around. I also see another frequency being added as they need it to do their own online connections to Asia.

Although YEG has had a few routes not stick around like UA YEGEWR and AA/US YEGLAX, this one should stick if DL is committed to SEA. I could be wrong as well as I never could tell why DL left YEGSLC.

Anyways, please elaborate...

northwestEWR

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 11):

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 9):

They're basing it on absolutely nothing but their hatred of Delta.

Delta is committed to continuing to build up Seattle whether Alaska or their fanboys like it or not.

IPFreely

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 pm

Quoting yeginleduc (Reply 12):
I could be wrong as well as I never could tell why DL left YEGSLC

Another failure. Four months might be generous.

SLCUT2777

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting yeginleduc (Reply 12):
this one should stick if DL is committed to SEA. I could be wrong as well as I never could tell why DL left YEGSLC.

SLC-YEG is a route DL inherited originally from the Western merger. As the CAD vs. USD exchange dropped during the late 90's DL began to reevaluate their transborder routing and most began to dwindle to CRJ/OO flights. Even SLC-YYC which gave the SLC airport it's first international flight 47 years ago is now under scrutiny as to whether it stays as it will drop to 1 frequency. Keep in mind most of the DL crew-basing for SLC is out of LAX & SEA, although a smaller contingency remains for training purposes
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

airportugal310

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 am

Who cares what he's basing it on...its his prerogative to say what he wants and he thinks it's got four months or less

This whole "show me proof" thing is getting old from most people. Is it that hard to decipher an opinion from a fact?

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 13):
They're basing it on absolutely nothing but their hatred of Delta.

Whoopdi doo...the DL fanboys get so butthurt every time someone poo poo's on their beloved airline it's becoming comical
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Viscount724

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 15):
Even SLC-YYC which gave the SLC airport it's first international flight 47 years ago

But not nonstop. The Canada-U.S. bilateral didn't permit YYC-SLC nonstop service until sometime in the mid-1980s. Until then all Western flights to SLC and points beyond had to stop at GTF, and they'd been doing that since long before 1968 (47 years ago).

It was around 1968 when Western obtained YYC-DEN nonstop rights which was a very popular and profitable route and Western's only YYC route that used the 720B. Lots of oil-related traffic connecting at DEN to Texas and vicinity as it was the shortest route then.

Until sometime in the early to mid-1980s, Western's only nonstops from YYC were to GTF and DEN. They started YYC-LAX nonstop around 1982/83, before YYC-SLC which was probably a year or so later. There was no YYC-SLC service in 1983 schedules but it was operating by 1985.

mayor

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:34 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 16):

Who cares what he's basing it on...its his prerogative to say what he wants and he thinks it's got four months or less

This whole "show me proof" thing is getting old from most people. Is it that hard to decipher an opinion from a fact?

And it might also be someone's perogative to ask a question and find out what kind of facts he has.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 16):
Whoopdi doo...the DL fanboys get so butthurt every time someone poo poo's on their beloved airline it's becoming comical

And it sounds like the usual subjects are getting butthurt when they ARE asked.

"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

n7371f

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 10):
This is just a place for them to park a plane. Their resources at SEA are drying up.

Great comedy. Are you really trying to be serious? Or is this more Alaska-homerism because you're all bent out of shape?

That's what Alaska does with running 2 737's SEA-GEG after 10pm.

ASFlyer

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 19):
Great comedy. Are you really trying to be serious? Or is this more Alaska-homerism because you're all bent out of shape?

That's what Alaska does with running 2 737's SEA-GEG after 10pm.

What's comedy about it? Is it just coincidence that their latest one flight a day adds (MSO, BIL...) have been late night flights from SEA and early arrivals back? That doesn't make for very convenient connecting opportunities from their Asia/Europe network to those cities. Many flights from Europe and Asia get back to SEA pretty early in the day - these departures have them sitting around SEA all day and night waiting for a connection. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm sure there is a small business case for the market, but yeah, it's a place to park a plane. And no, I wouldn't say SEA-GEG is a place to park a plane. AS has offered these flights for years and they connect well to most of the entire AS system from SEA.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 20):
Is it just coincidence that their latest one flight a day adds (MSO, BIL...) have been late night flights from SEA and early arrivals back?

How DARE you bring facts and common sense to a discussion about DL's additions at SEA!   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

HPRamper

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 am

Quoting yeginleduc (Reply 2):
Once a day doesn't seem like enough for connections for their Asian hub.

The idea of adding flights to SEA primarily to feed Asia routes went by the wayside long ago. Now it's about capturing local market, plain and simple. In any case, most YEG-based Asia-bound pax are probably using YVR or YYC anyway.

Quoting mayor (Reply 18):
And it might also be someone's perogative to ask a question and find out what kind of facts he has.

Facts aren't needed to back up an opinion. I could say I expected it to last a week, if I wanted to. I don't need to cite anything.

mayor

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 22):
Facts aren't needed to back up an opinion. I could say I expected it to last a week, if I wanted to. I don't need to cite anything.

That doesn't mean someone can't ask.

HPRamper

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 23):
That doesn't mean someone can't ask.

Of course not, but it's when people get insistent that it starts to grate. Not specific to this thread. I think on A.net there is a very fine line between "I heard this" and "I think this".

BoeingGuy

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 7):
Rumor has it that their international hub isn't doing so hot other than AMS and NRT.

Can you elaborate on this? I thought SEA-CDG did well. AFAIK, it did well for AF. How about LHR, ICN, HKG, PVG, and PEK? Is HU beating DL on the latter two routes?

DL has discontinued two routes for the SEA international hub already, and I don't see them in a hurry to add TPE as was rumored.

Sightseer

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 20):
What's comedy about it? Is it just coincidence that their latest one flight a day adds (MSO, BIL...) have been late night flights from SEA and early arrivals back?

It's a play for the local market, which is needed for a healthy hub. The timing is similar to what DL uses on other 1x daily routes (LAX-BOI and -GEG come to mind) or routes with several regional flights but only one mainline flight, as is common out of ATL. The mainline flight will usually be one of the last outbound flights of the night and one of the first inbound in the morning.

[Edited 2015-09-01 15:18:10]

northwestEWR

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 26):
It's a play for the local market, which is needed for a healthy hub. The timing is similar to what DL uses on other 1x daily routes (LAX-BOI and -GEG come to mind) or routes with several regional flights but only one mainline flight, as is common out of ATL. The mainline flight will usually be one of the last outbound flights of the night and one of the first inbound in the morning.

The mainline RONs are particularly popular in ATL and tend to work very well.

Give this a shot before you piss on it. Contrary to some of your beliefs, Delta's strict margin requirements mean that a route simply to park a plane overnight is insane.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):
DL has discontinued two routes for the SEA international hub already, and I don't see them in a hurry to add TPE as was rumored.

HND and what else?

BoeingGuy

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 28):
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):

HND and what else?

KIX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos