Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

burnsie28
Topic Author

Malaysia Airline Berhad

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Looks like the new Malaysia Airlines is launched. Any idea what Berhad means?

http://worldairlinenews.com/2015/09/...laysia-airlines-is-launched-today/

airpearl

RE: Malaysia Airline Berhad

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Means Public Limited, not too different from Inc. at the end of a company's name.

britannia25

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Bernard in Malay means private or private limited company

Birdwatching

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Thread starter):
Any idea what Berhad means?

It's Malay, and comparable to "Ltd." as a suffix to company names. Lots of other airlines have this in their name. Like Air Asia Berhad, or Berjaya Air Berhad for example.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

britannia25

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Berhad even. Autocorrect, before some smart picky person picks me up on that

cheeken

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:11 pm

so essentially no name change from the "Malaysia Airlines" as we know it.....man that's unexciting...

allrite

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Surely this is "just" the formal transfer of ownership from the government to Kazanah and getting the new AOC rather than the rebranding of the airline. Though you would have thought the two could be combined to create more of a perception of change. Baby steps?
I like artificial banana essence!

jbflyguy84

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:40 pm

I can't find a link right now, but I'm pretty this was the change that allowed the company to reduce their workforce by so much and so quickly.

Everyone was made redundant from MAS and then those the new company, MAB, wanted were offered a job at the new organisation.

My guess would be a visual rebrand will be forthcoming, this is really just a change of business entity, hence the newly approved AOC.

Polot

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Quoting cheeken (Reply 5):
so essentially no name change from the "Malaysia Airlines" as we know it.....man that's unexciting...

This is just the legal name of the new company. They can still change to and operate under a different brand name. Northwest Orient, for example, was never NW's legal name.

JerseyFlyer

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 8):

To quote from the OP's reference article:

"Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB), which replaces Malaysian Airline System Berhad. Rest assured that the change in company will not impact the day-to-day operations of MAB with no changes to our current flights, schedules, reservations, or operations."

Viscount724

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 8):

This is just the legal name of the new company. They can still change to and operate under a different brand name. Northwest Orient, for example, was never NW's legal name.

And LX's legal name, Swiss International Air Lines AG, is never used except in legal documents, conditions of contract etc. When first founded, it was Swiss International Air Lines Ltd. I think the AG replaced Ltd. at some point after LH acquired SWISS.

smi0006

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:55 am

I was under the impression the brand and product would be announced today? Any idea when these announcements will be made?

Interesting to see Singapore and Perth Lounge will close, but Melbourne will stay open, along with London. London I understand, Melbourne I don't. Excited to see what the new KUL lounge will look like though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos