Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airpearl

RE: EK 2-class A380's - More Infos?

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:33 am

Quoting thaiflyer (Reply 49):
Very disappointed in EK for this layout and did not expect it.
Good reason to avoid those 2 class planes as a plague.

Can understand your disappointment as for sure, this is a bummer of a layout for the J class pax. (Though, it is a rather nice place to be for a Y class pax.)

skipness1E

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 13):
The two class are new deliveries due in the next few months think the first is A6-EOP

That's what I thought !

Not sure what the confusion is? Economy will be held back until business has disembarked, surely that's no different from door 2L on a B777 say?

KarelXWB

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 am

The first two-class A380 is MSN 200 / A6-EOP. The frame is currently sitting in XFW, awaiting customer acceptance.

A380 Emirates A6-EOP by XFW-Spotter, on Flickr

All 15 two-class A380's will be brand new frames. The existing fleet will not be retrofitted.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

CXfirst

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 am

Quoting skipness1e (Reply 51):
Not sure what the confusion is? Economy will be held back until business has disembarked, surely that's no different from door 2L on a B777 say?

If you read the thread, it is quite clear that there is a consensus that the economy class extends behind the door as well (unlike the seatguru diagram). So, in order for J class to disembark, they would have to pass through the Economy class cabin to get to the door.

-CXfirst

SKAirbus

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:32 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 53):
If you read the thread, it is quite clear that there is a consensus that the economy class extends behind the door as well (unlike the seatguru diagram). So, in order for J class to disembark, they would have to pass through the Economy class cabin to get to the door.

Yep... it's quite obvious that business class passengers will not be able to disembark before economy passengers upstairs. I understand why they want business class at the rear so they have access to the bar but still. Badly thought out layout by Emirates.
Base: BRU

KarelXWB

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:48 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 10):
I imagine this was done because the bar is already designed to be in that area so they didn't need to re-config the plumbing, which speeds outfitting.

The lounge was so designed that it can be removed in 96 hours. However, Tim Clark does not want to have it removed because business class travelers like the product 'very much'.

thaiflyer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:13 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 55):
The lounge was so designed that it can be removed in 96 hours. However, Tim Clark does not want to have it removed because business class travelers like the product 'very much'.

I understand his reasoning and i like the bar indeed.
But i can not believe that there is no reasonable possibility to create a bar in the front of the plane as the showers are not required anymore.
Better to skip this plane.

KarelXWB

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting thaiflyer (Reply 56):
But i can not believe that there is no reasonable possibility to create a bar in the front of the plane as the showers are not required anymore.

The bar cannot be installed on the same spot as the showers; the showers are placed on both sides of the staircase:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/258xnw0.jpg

Impossible to fit a bar.

thaiflyer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 57):
The bar cannot be installed on the same spot as the showers; the showers are placed on both sides of the staircase:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/258xnw0.jpg

Impossible to fit a bar.

I know where the showers are as i used them several times  
But other airlines are able to make a lounge style bar of the area on one side and toilet at the other side.
Maybe you lose some extra space but if there is a will there is a way.

Richard28

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Quoting thaiflyer (Reply 49):
Good reason to avoid those 2 class planes as a plague.

I think it looks like a good and logical layout.

Per the diagram provided by airpearl in post 48, it would seem that J class will only have to wait whilst Y pax in 6 rows (34-39) disembark (a small inconvenience).

One would assume that pax in the first 11 rows (24-34) will either be hald back for J to disemark, or directed to the lower floor via the front stairs, so as to not inconvenience J pax.

As described in an earlier post, this layout enables compatability with the DXB layout, where premium pax load via the upper floors only, with minimal disruption on arrival.

For J class pax, the positive thing from this layout is that with fewer J seats, the bar area should be less packed.

For Y class the ability to have upper deck seats and a 2-4-2 layout is a big positve.

Quoting debonair (Thread starter):
What will happen to the SPA-area (showers) on the upper deck

These show as toilets only on the new layout, with no showers. These must be rather large toilets - as they have a lot of room there - or perhaps can fit 2 x toilets into each side? either way another positive for the Y class on the upper deck (either big spaceous toilets, or lots of them!)

So all in all, quite a good layout for all classes in my opinion!

airbazar

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Quoting A35J (Reply 41):
No, it isn't a different hard product. You've fallen foul of SeatGuru's many inconsistencies. The only difference between the J seats on the 2-class vs. 3 class EK A380 is the graphic used by SeatGuru.

If you look closely you can see there are the same number of seats between UD L2 and L3 (including the bar).

That was my point all along. What I should have said was that SeatGuru was showing a different hard product but in the end the total number of seats came out to about the same.

Quoting airpearl (Reply 50):
Can understand your disappointment as for sure, this is a bummer of a layout for the J class pax. (Though, it is a rather nice place to be for a Y class pax.)

It's only 6 rows of seats, and 2 aisles. It won't take very long at all to disembark. So it will take an extra 3 minutes, big deal  
Quoting skipness1e (Reply 51):

You can't keep people from jumping onto the aisle and blocking it so no, they won't be held back. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding the B777 as no 777 config shows Y in front of J.

B747forever

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 59):

Per the diagram provided by airpearl in post 48, it would seem that J class will only have to wait whilst Y pax in 6 rows (34-39) disembark (a small inconvenience).

I am sure those rows will be popular among passengers that know about this.

This is almost the same situation BA has on some of its 744s with Y+ before C. Flew that configuration once, and disembarked behand a handful of F pax.
Work Hard, Fly Right

hongkongflyer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting airpearl (Reply 48):
This is a screenshot from an EK booking next year on DXB-KUL using the newly-configured A380.

It seems the UD1 doors are between rows 33 and 34. As for Y class passengers being able to select a seat on the upper deck, there appear to be no problems on my booking. In fact, the upper deck cabin is most likely to be filled first because when you choose seats on the website, that's the cabin you see first.

They can block those seats during seat selection during purchase and online check-in
unless it is going to be a full load flight.

So even you can see the cabin, you may not be able to select any seats in that cabin.

airpearl

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 62):
They can block those seats during seat selection during purchase and online check-in
unless it is going to be a full load flight.

So even you can see the cabin, you may not be able to select any seats in that cabin.

They can, but they haven't in this case. That screenshot comes from my 'manage booking' page where all the seats in the cabin (bar a few, I assume are bassinet seats) were open for selection.

lightsaber

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 62):

That makes sense. Sell those Y seats for premium prices late.

I think this config will work. It also might be only J unloads on the top deck, Y might go down the stairs... At least at DXB.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 64):

I think this config will work. It also might be only J unloads on the top deck, Y might go down the stairs... At least at DXB.

That's pretty much how I see it. As well, they could hold lower deck Y passengers back behind a curtains while upper deck Y passengers exit via the front stairs.

J could exit as soon as they want through the side door ,if they don't mind touching common folk on the way out, or have another drink while waiting for the few Y passengers behind the door offload.

I really don't think there will be much of an uproar from J. It's their fault anyway for choosing a flight with 550+ Y passengers.
What the...?