Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Oykie
Topic Author

Pic: 18 Year Old Safely Lands On Road In Norway

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted, but an 18 year old pilot had to do an emergency landing with a Cessna on a roar. Since he would not manage to get to the runway he safely landed in the morning rush hour.

I am glad it seems like the plane, pilot and passenger got away from this safely.

http://1.vgc.no/drpublish/images/article/2015/09/03/23517477/1/fullbredde/landerrodring.jpg

Picture from newspaper VG.no
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

peterinlisbon

RE: Pic: 18 Year Old Safely Lands On Road In Norway

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Wow, very lucky that he managed to avoid all of those lamp posts and stop moving before the bridge up ahead. Roads might seem like a good place for an emergency landing but the wingspan of a small cessna is about as wide as a two-lane road and then you have all kinds of obstuctions lining the roads.

DAL763ER

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting oykie (Thread starter):

Sorry if this has already been posted, but an 18 year old pilot had to do an emergency landing with a Cessna on a roar. Since he would not manage to get to the runway he safely landed in the morning rush hour.

I am glad it seems like the plane, pilot and passenger got away from this safely.

This is great. It's weird that media think being 18 and flying is a big deal. He did what he was trained to do and saved the plane, himself and his passenger. It's no miracle or magic that he did this.

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 1):
Wow, very lucky that he managed to avoid all of those lamp posts and stop moving before the bridge up ahead. Roads might seem like a good place for an emergency landing but the wingspan of a small cessna is about as wide as a two-lane road and then you have all kinds of obstuctions lining the roads.

The 172, when light, can be stopped in 500 feet or less. Nothing to do with luck, just skill and training.

Also, funny that's considered rush hour.

Qatara340

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm

He is not old enough to drink, but he can certainly land a plane like a pro! Good job!
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

alfa164

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 3):
He is not old enough to drink

In Norway, I believe he is old enough to drink. They are a more realiztic country than the US tends to be, sometimes...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

SASDC8

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:46 pm

And here he is on take off from the same road, after police, aircraft safety inspectors and a mechanic had done their respective jobs:

http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/116835/s...lomstengt-vei-her-letter-det-igjen
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

readytotaxi

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 5):

Wow, McDonalds got that sign installed very quick.     

Very well done pilot.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BlueShamu330s

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Did he vacate down the rapid to the right...?  

What an initiation so early in his flying career. Hats off for his airmanship.

Rgds
Flying around India

ajhYXE

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Does Norway have a program similar to Air Cadets which gives teenagers an opportunity to learn to fly gliders? If this kid truly has very little experience flying I will personally buy him a drink!

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 4):
In Norway, I believe he is old enough to drink. They are a more realiztic country than the US tends to be, sometimes...

I still don't understand how someone who is old enough for military service is not old enough to legally consume alcohol in some places.  
GO RIDERS!

smokeybandit

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:17 pm

America's alcohol age limits are quite primitive.

Some states, though, allow for underage drinking under the supervision of parents.

FredrikHAD

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 2):
Also, funny that's considered rush hour.

Well, this is Norway and here in the Nordics, this may actually be considered rush hour, although some freeways and similar turn into parking lots twice a day here as well.

The road he actually landed on was the smaller road to the right in the picture, which was closed due to flooding. Had he been forced to land on the freeway, things may have ended differently. He also actually made two landing attempts before succeeding on the third run. Bystanders could hear that the engine was not in good working order, but apparently healthy enough to perform two go arounds.

Why would we bother having captains on every commercial flight and not only FO grade pilots if experience meant nothing? In this case, it was not only the training that made him land safely. Someone with the same training and less "coolheadedness" might have been far too nervous to pull this stunt off.

/Fredrik

WF2BNN

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Because inexperience might be what led to the landing in the first place....
What goes up, must come down.

Classa64

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:46 pm

This is a great story all around, congrats to him for not only landing but taking off in a difficult dangerous situation that I am sure no one wants to experience.

Quoting WF2BNN (Reply 11):

Really?...Can you elaborate on your comment please, curious as to the facts you have that it was possible inexperience that caused this. Or am I reading it wrong....
Even a link here says engine issues
http://www.norwaytoday.info/home_view.php?id=128624
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

Max Q

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:32 am

The article refers to the Pilot as an 18 year old 'boy'

No such thing and especially not in this case, great job.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Viscount724

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 am

Probably at least 2 or 3 light aircraft emergency landings on roads every month in Canada. It's quite common.

A few examples from this year:

A privately registered Van's RV 7A on a local flight from Calgary/ Springbank, AB (CYBW) inbound from south reported engine failure. The aircraft landed safely on a gravel road, 10NM south of CYBW. 911 alerted and responded.

An American privately registered Amateur built Carbon Cub from Cranbrook, BC (CYXC) to McBride, BC (CAV4) landed on the Highway at Mica Dam, 68NM North of Revelstoke, BC due to weather conditions.

Aircraft in the vicinity of 25 NM northwest of Toronto, ON (CYYZ) relayed a Mayday message from a privately registered Cessna 172G. Due to engine issue, the Cessna 172G landed on Highway 35 near Dorset, ON at approximately 1415Z. No injuries or damage.

An American privately registered Piper J5A from Whitehorse, YT (CYXY) to Tok, AK (PFTO) landed safely on the Alaska Highway by Snag Junction near Beaver Creek, YT (CYXQ) due to poor weather conditions. Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) on site.

Pilot of a privately-registered Autogyro Cavalon, from Calgary/ Springbank, AB (CYBW) to Radium Hot Springs, BC (CBL6), reported to Edmonton Flight Information Centre (FIC) that he had landed on Highway 93 near the approach for Storm Mountain Lodge. The aircraft could not maintain altitude in the wind it encountered in that area. There was no malfunction or damage, and no injuries. Pilot elected to continue his flight to CBL6.

KLRU

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:13 am

I've experienced the Oslo rush hour many times and it can be a pain. This incident was att 11AM though and hence not really what would be considered the peak rush hour.

Still, cudos to the pilot for performing the landing the way he did!

hz747300

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting SASDC8 (Reply 5):
And here he is on take off from the same road

Cool video!
Keep on truckin'...

Airbus747

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 13):

In Europe, there's no pressure to become a "man" or "woman".

My friends and I are in our late 20s/30s and we refer to each other as boys and girls  

Cultural differences.

nema

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 am

In the UK he would probably have been charged road tax for that.  
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:59 am

Quoting nema (Reply 18):
In the UK he would probably have been charged road tax for that.  

You owe me a new keyboard.

If the plane was ready to fly that quickly....I'm going to guess carb ice...but I may be wrong. Did they ever mention what the problem was?
What the...?

fallap

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:16 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 13):
The article refers to the Pilot as an 18 year old 'boy'

No such thing and especially not in this case, great job.

My mom still calls me a boy, and I'm 24. What did I do wrong?  
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:28 am

It happened in Sweden as well a few day days ago.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=95&artikel=6243488
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Max Q

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting Fallap (Reply 20):
My mom still calls me a boy, and I'm 24. What did I do wrong?

Being born in Denmark is enough      

Seriously, I think mothers can do that.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Pyrex

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 am

In Norway, I believe he is old enough to drink.

Yes, but probably cannot afford a beer. A flight hour in a Cessna is probably cheaper than a pint of lager, that is why he was out flying instead of drinking like normal, healthy people his age. 
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Someone83

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 8):
Does Norway have a program similar to Air Cadets which gives teenagers an opportunity to learn to fly gliders?

Yes, can't remember the limit, but you can fly gliders before you turn 18. AFAIK from either you're 15 or 16

JetBuddy

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 23):
In Norway, I believe he is old enough to drink.

Yes, but probably cannot afford a beer. A flight hour in a Cessna is probably cheaper than a pint of lager, that is why he was out flying instead of drinking like normal, healthy people his age. 

Hehe, that's not far from the truth.

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 24):
Yes, can't remember the limit, but you can fly gliders before you turn 18. AFAIK from either you're 15 or 16

I believe you can get a pilot's licence for small GA aircraft like the Cessna 172 when you're 17 years old in Norway. You can fly solo when you've turned 16 though. Not sure about gliders.

Anyway, the kid who flew this plane had been at that road earlier in the day and he knew it was closed due to flooding down the road. That's why he chose that road to land on. He experienced engine trouble on his short flight from Gardermoen (ENGM) to Kjeller (ENKJ). Instead of trying to land at Kjeller which is just a few km away, he chose that road because there's a residential area surrounding Kjeller airfield, which would have had a greater impact if he crashed.

Regarding the engine trouble he was experiencing, the RPM had dropped significantly and he couldn't fix it. According to the pilot, he only managed to climb 100 feet per minute while circling and trying to gain altitude.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos