Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

simairlinenet
Topic Author

United Names Munoz CEO, Smisek Steps Down

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 pm

United Airlines Names Oscar Munoz Chief Executive Officer
Names Henry L. Meyer III Non-executive Chairman of the Board

CHICAGO, Sept. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) today announced that it has named Oscar Munoz as president and chief executive officer. Munoz will also continue to serve on United's board of directors. The board appointed Henry L. Meyer III, United's lead independent director, to serve as non-executive chairman of the board of directors. The company also announced that Jeff Smisek has stepped down from his roles as chairman, president and chief executive officer, and as a director. These changes are effective immediately.

More details at http://ir.united.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...3680&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2086209

Revelation

RE: United Names Munoz CEO, Smisek Steps Down

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Quoting simairlinenet (Thread starter):
Smisek Steps Down

Should read "Smisek Walks The Plank"!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ssteve

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Smisek is off the Board, too? Wow.

ordbosewr

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

CNBC has headline that says it may be related to the Port Authority investigation...

"BREAKING: United Continental replaces CEO amid Port Authority probe"

B747forever

Well, let's see if things will become better at UA. Many have been blaming Smisek for everything that is bad with UA.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Mainland

Conference call regarding the change starts at 530pm eastern.
You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...

UA444

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Wow!!! Did NOT expect this!!!

ua900

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Nice, maybe that's why the website is down today, probably someone tried to scrub the million SMI/J quotes and the website choked when it regurgitates all the accumulated BS. Talk about a poison pill.

As for Oscar, president of a freight line may come in handy when running the new United, though it seems like he only did that since February. I'm more than willing to give him a shot in spite of his CO background. Can't be much worse than Jeff and Glenn.

http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/media/p...z-named-president-csx-corporation/

Any thoughts from UAL insiders on this change? Seems rather sudden, no?
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

FlyHossD

Quoting UA444 (Reply 6):
Wow!!! Did NOT expect this!!!

Nor did I - is this real? Or a prank?

Apparently it's real - there's an SEC 8K filing.

[Edited 2015-09-08 13:55:09]
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

AABB777

This is good news for the future of UA. The airline needs new leadership from someone outside the company and industry. I hope Munoz brings fresh ideas and new faces to UA's leadership. It's time the airline industry in particular begins to look for talent outside of the industry itself.

commavia

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Wow - just wow. This should certainly liven up A.net this week! From the press release's corporate speak and the "clawback" clause in the separation agreement filed with the SEC, certainly sounds like this could well have the something to do with a quite possibly widening and deepening investigation of the PANYNJ thing.

For many employees and customers alike who had lost all faith in his leadership (or lack thereof), I'd say this could perhaps - hopefully - turn out to be a positive. But even still - for a company that has undergone so much corporate trauma in the last 15 years, how profoundly sad that it came to this.

airliner371

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 pm

I was always a big fan off Jeff's at Continental until he got to United. He ran Continental very well but once he got to United things went down hill for him. This is a good change, one that should help United gain traction.

jetblue1965

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 7):

As for Oscar, president of a freight line may come in handy when running the new United, though it seems like he only did that since February. I'm more than willing to give him a shot in spite of his CO background. Can't be much worse than Jeff and Glenn.

It works the same way ... key difference being a freight line requires manual loading but an airline's main deck is self-loading  Wow!

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

All you types who are celebrating, beware.... never laud a devil that you don't yet know, solely because he's not the devil you knew.

Just sayin'.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

UA444

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 pm

There must've been something very disturbing that has been found in the PANYNJ probe. This is a huge deal and could potentially be very damaging for the company. Either Smisek was complicit or underlings did nefarious deeds without his knowledge and he is falling on the sword.

They need to use this opportunity to get new leadership that has never worked at United or Continental.

ramprat74

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 pm

He is coming from CSX, and I would hope he had a working relationship with the Unions.

Polot

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Oh no, we can no longer blame $mi$ek!!!!!  Wow!

So what is the new thing? Are we going to have start referring to him as O$car? Moneyoz? A.net must work together and collectively come up with a decision.

Revelation

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 14):
There must've been something very disturbing that has been found in the PANYNJ probe.

Jon Ostrower tweets that it is due to the investigation, and that two other "senior execs" are walking the plank as well.

Ref: http://twitter.com/jonostrower

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:09:19]

northwestEWR

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Good and very interesting news!

Quoting commavia (Reply 10):
Wow - just wow. This should certainly liven up A.net this week! From the press release's corporate speak and the "clawback" clause in the separation agreement filed with the SEC, certainly sounds like this could well have the something to do with a quite possibly widening and deepening investigation of the PANYNJ thing.

For many employees and customers alike who had lost all faith in his leadership (or lack thereof), I'd say this could perhaps - hopefully - turn out to be a positive. But even still - for a company that has undergone so much corporate trauma in the last 15 years, how profoundly sad that it came to this.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 13):

All you types who are celebrating, beware.... never laud a devil that you don't yet know, solely because he's not the devil you knew.

Just sayin'.

Proceed with cautious optimism!

Quoting UA444 (Reply 14):
There must've been something very disturbing that has been found in the PANYNJ probe. This is a huge deal and could potentially be very damaging for the company. Either Smisek was complicit or underlings did nefarious deeds without his knowledge and he is falling on the sword.

I wouldn't be surprised knowing PANYNJ. They're the single most corrupt company in the US. Mafia slime balls.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

indcwby

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 pm

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...misek-is-out-effective-6491426.php

Sorry for not knowing this, but what probe/federal investigation is Smisek involved in? Hopefully not another Subway/Jared one.......
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

MSPNWA

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:08 pm

CEOs take too much credit for good times and too much flak for bad times. I don't think this change will make a large difference fundamentally. But maybe it will be a symbolic change for the better. Hopefully the employees and customers so firmly entrenched in the Smisek hating camp will improve their attitudes. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. There's a culture of management distrust that prevents anyone from satisfying them.

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:10:52]

jetblue1965

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 16):

So what is the new thing? Are we going to have start referring to him as O$car? Moneyoz? A.net must work together and collectively come up with a decision.

Well, he's Hispanic, so we can just borrow some of Trump's campaign rhetoric ... Or he'll start treating all his customers like containerized freight ....

Sooner787

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:09 pm

So does the new guy want to bring back a livery featuring the tulip?   

Web500sjc

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Wow, just wow.

This is incredibly surprising. When you fire three high executives, including the CEO over an federal investigation, I guess it validates the investigation.

Any one know what the quid pro quo was with the port athourity?
Boiler Up!

Polot

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Quoting indcwby (Reply 19):
Sorry for not knowing this, but what probe/federal investigation is Smisek involved in? Hopefully not another Subway/Jared one.......

One with the PANYNJ. Namely the relationship between UA and Port Authority, such as, for example, whether UA was flying EWR-CAE because the chairman of the PANYNJ had a house in the area and spent weekends there (and what UA was getting out of it).

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:11:53]

flyby519

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Here is a good read about the investigation:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-led-united-into-corruption-probe

Quote:
Halfway through dinner at Novita, an Italian restaurant in Manhattan, Port Authority Chairman David Samson surprised the group with a request of his own. He complained that he and his wife had grown weary of the trip to their weekend home in Aiken, South Carolina, because the best flight out of Newark was to Charlotte, North Carolina, 150 miles away. Until 2009, Continental had run direct service from Newark to Columbia, South Carolina, 100 miles closer.

In a tone described by one observer as “playful, but not joking,” Samson asked: Could United revive that route? An awkward silence fell over the table.

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:14:50]

Revelation

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Deleting this since same info is in the previous post (reply 25).

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:25:54]

STT757

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:14 pm

No, it's related to Chris Christie's bridgegate scandal. Basically Governor Christie and his appointee's to the Port Authority went wild with their authority and soliciting customers of the agency for quid pro quos.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

727LOVER

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Muunoz has sent a letter to UA em[loyees
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

indcwby

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 24):
One with the PANYNJ. Namely the relationship between UA and Port Authority, such as, for example, whether UA was flying EWR-CAE because the chairman of the PANYNJ had a house in the area and spent weekends there (and what UA was getting out of it).

Wow! Did not know that. Thanks!
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175

STT757

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:16 pm

From the NY Times:

Quote:
United Airlines said Tuesday that its chief executive officer, Jeff Smisek, and two other senior officials had stepped down after a federal corruption investigation.

The airline is under investigation by the United States attorney in New Jersey over whether it had improperly sought to influence senior officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/bu...-authority-investigation.html?_r=0

There are numerous related probes going on with regards to the Port Authority, mostly related to Governor Christie's appointees both at the Port Authority and in Trenton. The Governor and current Presidential candidate denies any knowledge of their activity which includes:

Ordering the Port Authority to shut down lanes on the George Washington Bridge under the false premise of a traffic study. This was done to punish the Mayor of the Town of Fort Lee New Jersey, where the George Washington bridge is located, for not endorsing the Governor for re-election. This was done on the first day of school to maximize it's disruption to the local community.

Cancelling the Hudson River rail tunnel project and forcing the Port Authority to divert those funds to fix New Jersey roads. This was to enable Christie to avoid raising the gas tax, for his Republican credentials. This was done in violation of Federal Law and New York State laws.

The Chairman of the Port Authority, Christie appointee, asking United to launch flights from EWR to CAE so he can get to his horse farm. In exchange he would push through projects UA wanted.

The Chairman of the Port Authority forcing the agency to lease for $1 Dollar per year a piece of land to NJ Transit, a customer of his law firm. That lease was cancelled and now NJ Transit pays $1 MIllion dollars per year for the same property.

This list goes on..

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:23:33]

727LOVER

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:18 pm

Hopefully not another Subway/Jared one.......

OMG...that made me laugh!!!  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

thomasphoto60

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:18 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 13):

Bingo, my gut reaction was elation, but reading further, who knows ? While happy to see Smisek gone but, cautious what Munoz is going to bring to the party.

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:20:46]
"Show me the Braniffs"

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):

No, it's related to Chris Christie's bridgegate scandal. Basically Governor Christie and his appointee's to the Port Authority went wild with their authority and soliciting customers of the agency for quid pro quos.

So glad your beloved Port Authority is getting another national news story to its name. Who would have thought all my discussions about the PA being a corrupt, bistate, bureaucracy on a.net would get these lovely cherries on top!

Revelation

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 28):
Muunoz has sent a letter to UA em[loyees

Yep, the first page of it is now on Ostrower's Twitter feed.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 26):
Sounds like a prime candidate to me.

The "two execs" named above were also at the infamous dinner described in the Bloomberg article.

Ref: http://twitter.com/jonostrower

ssteve

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):
appointees to the Port Authority went wild with their authority and soliciting customers of the agency for quid pro quos.

I rate this as more substantive than Hurd getting the boot at HP and less substantive than that Boeing exec who got jail time. Whether it's similar to Bob Moffat at IBM remains to be seen...

STT757

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 33):
So glad your beloved Port Authority is getting another national news story to its name

It's not the Agency itself, it's the political appointees to the agency. This was created by Chris Christie, and his crony appointees.

Miami

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Bring on the A380!   

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00014841.jpg
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Revelation

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 35):
I rate this as more substantive

If Christie gets (more) stink on him from this I think it'd trump (sic) the ones you list. Taking down a presidential candidate probably rates above insider trading or sexual misconduct, no?

Quoting Miami (Reply 37):
Bring on the A380!

Sure, let's let one corporate disaster lead right into another...  thumbsdown 

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:40:35]

Web500sjc

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:32 pm

I wonder what type of CEO Munoz will be.

Obviously the board decided that their needed to be a change, but Munoz isn't that much of an outsider. I wonder if the board chose one of their own as a caretaker CEO until they can do an adequate search, or if Munoz is a long term bet on getting an "outsider" who is familiar with the company and will only cause an image change.
Boiler Up!

tortugamon

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 pm

$4.9 Million Severance plus free flying for life....

http://twitter.com/BrianSumers/status/641361165755412480

...so long as he doesn't get convicted of any crime.

tortugamon

traindoc

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Now the real work begins-making UA into a first class airline! This will only happen if all the employees are pulling in the same direction. My wife and I are both 1K, so we have some experience with UA and its' employees. Most are very good and friendly. However, some of them really have no interest in customer service, and are the ones chasing away customers. In fact, we have experienced worse attitudes and service from the former CO employees, than from the former UA employees! No longer is Smisek the blame. So we will see if the new CEO can rally the troops, and also if the troops are willing to be led. Only time will tell. I want to see UA succeed. But success will require much better operational performance, which includes being on time, clean and working aircraft, and most importantly, good care of us passengers!

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Wow. I saw this on Twitter and I just about fell over. There's not enough popcorn in the world for this.

BC77008

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Best news ever!!! Bye Felicia!!'
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

A332DTW

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 pm

I'm confused. Exactly what scandal are they referring to... the federal probe into collusion?

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:41:23]

indcwby

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Isn't Smisek still on the UA Safety Videos/announcements?

RightRudder

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:42 pm

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

9w748capt

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Wow ... Just wow. Will be interesting (to say the least!) to see what comes of the investigations. Here's hoping the new CEO rights UA's ship. That'll hopefully put the pressure in Dougie to improve AA's product as well.

STT757

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 44):
I'm confused. Exactly what scandal are they referring to... the federal probe into collusion?

It's all related to Bridge gate:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...bridgegate-guide.html?ref=liveblog

Jeff Smisek's involvement came through David Samson, the former head of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (a Governor Christie appointee). And it involves the "Chairman's flight". If you look at the NY Times chart you can connect David Samson to Jeff Smisek.

[Edited 2015-09-08 14:49:33]

birdbrainz

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Quoting traindoc (Reply 41):
In fact, we have experienced worse attitudes and service from the former CO employees, than from the former UA employees!

I agree. Not to bash the PMCO employees, as a lot of them are 100% fine with the merger, but if someone was moaning about the merger, I'd say the probability of it being PMCO was about 85%. All that said, it's gotten a lot better.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos