av8orwalk
Topic Author

Why Did WN Remove Website From Winglet?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Just a curious question really. Nothing more. I was looking at the Photographer's Choice photo of the Southwest winglet landing over the shoreline. I was curious as to why they removed www.southwest.com from the winglet on the new livery? It seems that is great advertisement. I see countless photos posted on Instagram everyday of the view from above. Most often times than not, the winglet is in the photo.

Can anyone provide a logical reason that the address was removed?

Just seems like a missed opportunity for cheap advertising.

Cheers!
Drew MCO
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

AA737-823

RE: Why Did WN Remove Website From Winglet?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:13 pm

It's because using your web address as a part of your marketing or branding scheme is VERY 2000's.
I mean, think about it.
If you can't figure out that Southwest's website is southwest.com, then you're in trouble.
And it clutters up the paint scheme. Same with Austrian painting austrian.com on their engines. Tacky.
And aa.com on their winglets is also tacky.

A web adress is just something that doesn't need to be advertised any longer.

barney captain

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
It's because using your web address as a part of your marketing or branding scheme is VERY 2000's.

I completely agree. Unfortunately -

[Edited 2015-09-12 11:48:16]
Southeast Of Disorder

SXDFC

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting av8orwalk (Thread starter):
Can anyone provide a logical reason that the address was removed?

Sure, because they added the website titles on the engine instead. It wasn't until 2015 that they added the website address on the inner part ( the side that faces the pax windows).

VERY 2000's.

Possibly so, however I am sure as time goes by WN will replace the website with something else.. Perhaps a bigger heart..

I wish WN would put the "southwest.com" or "southwest" titles on the belly and put the heart on the engines... Just my 2 cents..

[Edited 2015-09-12 11:44:14]

Viscount724

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 2):

I completely agree. Unfortunately -

It would only make sense for WN to include your web address if it WASN'T southwest.com. If your address is what 99.9% of people would try first, it's just needless clutter.

Before DL managed to obtain delta.com from the plumbing fixtures company, if memory correct they were "flydelta.com". In that case it might be logical to advertise your URL a little more heavily.

Another example today would be SAS, since sas.com is not the airline but the computer software company. The airline's URL is "flysas.com". I expect thousands of people every day type "sas.com" looking for the airline and wind up in the wrong place.

barney captain

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:36 pm

Sorry for the off topic, but the grey hubcaps have me baffled -

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/9/1/2623196.jpg
Southeast Of Disorder

rta

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:46 pm

The website is already on the engine cowlings. People already on the plane probably know to book through Southwest.com. Those that don't know (and are presumably outside the plane) can now better see it

WNCrew

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 5):

Sorry for the off topic, but the grey hubcaps have me baffled -

Probably because "Summit Silver" is our accent color and instead of painting them they opted to leave them grey ... sort of as an accent. No need for anymore Bold Blue or Warm Red.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OzarkD9S

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:56 pm

In the case of WN, one can ONLY book a flight on their website, no third party bookings. I think I would let WN slide on that, no matter how dated it may seem to some.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Okcflyer

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Most of the time you see the hubcaps, the plans is on the ground. The grey blends better and keeps the focus off the wheels. Bright blue would stand out and draw eye attention away from the fuse.

barney captain

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:49 am

Quoting OKCFlyer (Reply 9):
Most of the time you see the hubcaps, the plans is on the ground. The grey blends better and keeps the focus off the wheels. Bright blue would stand out and draw eye attention away from the fuse.

Actually, that makes perfect sense.

Thank you!
Southeast Of Disorder

32andBelow

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:54 am

Plus aren't the wheels fully assembled on arrival? That means they would have to send every spare wheel to paint before it could be installed.

BNE

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:30 am

Not sure if anyone saw the 2nd video from the BA accident, http://www.avherald.com/h?article=48c10434&opt=0 watch the 2nd video, does that mean in future southwest.com won't be seen on the inside or outside of the winglet.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

yeelep

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 11):
Plus aren't the wheels fully assembled on arrival? That means they would have to send every spare wheel to paint before it could be installed.

No, they are hubcaps that are bolted to the wheel. Takes a couple of minutes to remove.

cschleic

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
Before DL managed to obtain delta.com from the plumbing fixtures company, if memory correct they were "flydelta.com". In that case it might be logical to advertise your URL a little more heavily.

...and way back when, Southwest's site originally was iflyswa.com. In fact, it still works....redirects to southwest.com

SXDFC

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 12):
watch the 2nd video, does that mean in future southwest.com won't be seen on the inside or outside of the winglet.

If you look at the current winglet design on the "Heart" livery, it wouldn't make sense nor look good to have it in the winglet. I don't think you will see the website on the winglets at WN again.. Just my 2cents..

TKA380

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:41 pm

If people in America recognise the colours/branding then I don't really see the need for the URL. Maybe 'Southwest' could have gone on there but I am sure they would have considered it.

SXDFC

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 pm

If you look at the design of the "heart" winglet, putting the URL would be very tiny and not look good. I am not sure why people are so hung up over having a website on the winglets..

Francoflier

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:35 pm

When's the last time anybody has ever typed a full URL in their browser's address bar, with the www. and the .com and all?

Google does it all so much faster...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos