Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning

RE: A (Semi) United Brand Refresh

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:17 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 21):
I worked as an Executive Creative Director at Landor for 23 years and lead identity assignments all over the world. I may know little else in world, but I do know branding.

I'm so fascinated by this. I'd love to do that job in a future life. It's just that, while I'm very competent, I am neither creative nor artistic.

I have a special respect for Lippincott. They did Coca-Cola, arguably the most powerful brand image in the world almost 50 years after the branding scheme was designed. They also did U.S. Steel and and Campbell's and Betty Crocker, all iconic brands. Citgo, AmEx, the American Heart Association. They did some of the most iconic brands in existence. It's so strange that they totally stuffed the CO brand.

Sure, United can refresh it's "House Style" now, and I think that is a fabulous idea. I do like the new burnished metal plaque in the new First Class seat video a lot. I'm not at all fond of this little finger-nail clipping thingy they grabbed onto, and I don't think people will see it's the negative space of the "Globe in a Box" bit it sure as hell beats the sea of nothingness they have now!

In ALL HONESTY, I learned a "globe in a box" lesson myself when I made the mistake of doing once on a MAJOR global brand, and in that case we all fell in love with a decorative application vs creating the globe symbol first, then pull it apart for decorative branding applications.

I wonder if I we might read some of the advice and proposals you might make to UA if they approached you right now.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N415XJ

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 41):
And we need THAT BEFORE any lousy Paint JOB!!

I absolutely agree. In fact I was going to include that as a qualifier in my OP but I wanted to keep my comments focused on the brand rather than the mess UA is in business-wise. But yes, they should focus on building a well-functioning airline before they worry about Globes and Tulips (or 'U's).

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 42):
The merger between DL and NW produced a great livery, that really mixed both logos and liveries.

Huh? DL completely erased the NW brand and replaced it with their own rather quickly. Although I would have loved it if they would have found a way to incorporate that excellent silvery body into their current classy, but rather conservative livery. But I'm curious as to how you see any of the NW brand at all in the current livery.

ghifty

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:59 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 51):

The tail widget is tilted to be artistic (or whatever) but it is also a slight nod to the NW-pointing arrow in the old NWA livery. As a bonus, on the right side of the aircraft it points NE (just like NW's compass logo! Lol). Also the widget in previous renditions had a blue base, the new widget was all red.. Again another nod to Northwest's "red tail."

There's no arguing that the then-new Delta brand was DELTA. But there were very subtle nods to NWA.

Same kinda goes with AA, having a flag motif on the tail (similar to US).

That's how branding post-merger should be. Establish the new one, but honor the acquired company.

[Edited 2015-09-14 01:01:35]
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

ADent

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:03 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 5):
It doesn't look like a tulip to you because it isn't. It looks like a U to you because it is. "Tulip" is a nickname. It's always been a "U" for United. And that's why it worked so well.

I thought it was also to look like a W and I for the the Western International hotels that UA owned at the time and the President of UA at the time of the creation of the logo came from Western International.

EA CO AS

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:20 am

It has never worked in small application and is also why it doesn't reproduce well at all with contemporary technology

So interesting how things like this repeat themselves; this is why AS dropped the jagged "woodcut" "Alaska" titles in favor of the refreshed, smoother one you see today. The "old" one from 1991 didn't render well digitally or on other collateral.

Although that too is an interim solution until the final brand refresh is unveiled around 1Q16...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

intotheair

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 am

The UA/CO shield/globe debate seems to pop up about as frequently as the 757 replacement debates...I'm so tired of both, yet I still find both fascinating.

I was crushed to see the PMUA branding go away, but I've accepted what it is now. I think UA is generally doing a pretty good job with all the supporting elements, including all the stuff in that video, the new website, and the new lounges. I actually do like the livery and the blue and gold as I think it's a nice way of distinguishing UA from the overly-patriotic legacy competition. I think it would be visually confusing for consumers to make any major changes to their brand now, especially seeing as they still need to get their culture and performance in line first.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

SKAirbus

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 49):

Loud, but maybe something like this would finally shut all sides up:

I think I might be sick...
Base: BRU

ord

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 52):
The tail widget is tilted to be artistic (or whatever) but it is also a slight nod to the NW-pointing arrow in the old NWA livery. As a bonus, on the right side of the aircraft it points NE (just like NW's compass logo! Lol). Also the widget in previous renditions had a blue base, the new widget was all red.. Again another nod to Northwest's "red tail."

There's no arguing that the then-new Delta brand was DELTA. But there were very subtle nods to NWA.

The Delta livery has absolutely nothing to with Northwest. The livery was unveiled April 30, 2007, a full year before the merger was announced on April 15, 2008.

VC10er

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 50):

Be careful what you wish for! It was a glorious and glamorous job until all the branding/design agencies were bought by behemoth agency holding companies that were publicly traded. That ruined a lot. Design companies should NOT be publicly traded as they must shrink at times and reinvent themselves, invest capitol to innovate etc...but the giant holding companies put a near untenable demand for consistant growth, month over month, year after year, thus squashing the investments and stressing out designers beyond the stress of being a designer! The result is a very draining focus on money over creativity. Back when Landor was private and run by Walter, Walter could do whatever he wanted, including running offices at a loss simply to have a foot in a particular market with fabulous offices, like Landor HQ on the famous ferry boat in SF bay or Landor NY in a townhouse with a real gilded dome in the conference room, or Landor Mexico in a deserted white stucco convent with cactus and gardens! Everything today is in a regular office where each sq inch is counted like an airline counts inches on a 777.

Small correction: Lippencott did not "do" Coca-Cola. The script "Coca-Cola" dates back to the late 19th century. In my career (spanning 35 years!!! yikes that is tough to write, I'm getting old) many agencies have touched Coca-Cola. In the early 1990's Landor SF had the Coke business for many years. You may recall the version that had pinstripes on the can, also where the "wave" went through the "e" in Coke. Then we got PEPSI and I ran much of the beverage business (I did the PEPSI BLUE Concorde) Then, many more agencies worked on Coke, and most recently was Turner Duckworth, who did great work for them. Lippencott is a very impressive agency and were always a tough competitor for us at Landor.

As for United calling me, I WISH!!!! I now have my own branding agency. I would advise them to re-look at all the core touch points along the customer journey from booking to departure until luggage pick-up. "Touch points" are when you (the customer) interacts with the brand, website, lounge, ticket jackets, gates, on board, menus...etc. While I'm do not like the thingy they created from the negative space from "Globe in Box" - it is an improvement. Frankly, Pentagram did an awesome job for legacy United. Really classy, and they were smart enough to exalt the Saul Bass "U" as it lived shoulder to shoulder with the likes of such symbols as Delta, Chase, GE, Singapore Crane, bp's green sun...and so on. The "tulip" was world famous.

A "brand" is a promise to the world. A new logo and livery now would say that there was a new "promise" from UA, and if people flocked back and found all was the same, it would be a broken promise...and consumers NEVER forgive a broken promise! United must improve at everything, even become superior in many key areas, especially for the fickle and demanding premium fliers. Once that happens, United can paint a new promise on the entire fleet, and it would be worth the money to do it then. And do it faster than historic slowness, like Delta. FAST. BUT ONLY WHEN UNITED BECOMES THE LUFTHANSA OF AMERICA!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

VC10er

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 44):

It was "Perpetua" not Times Roman. I personally don't like Perpetua, I hate the pointy ends vs a serif (e.g.: the lower case "a" drove me crazy. I may have preferred Times, but it often looks too generic.

After United gave up "Bookman w swash" from "Stars & Bars" -- and went to the Saul Bass livery, UNITED was set on a path of a bold sans serif IMHO - which is why the Badoni on "Battleship" looked off brand to me.

I think the current UNITED is generic looking too, but it is really tough to stylize a font and not have it become dated in 10 years. Pentagram tried to a bit by angling the "T" to match the angle of the "tulip"

It's an interim word-mark. Let's just live with it until the day United fixes themselves up (hopefully, I am rooting for them) then create something jaw dropping!

bgm

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 16):
American has the Eagle

Delta has the Widget

Southwest has the Heart

Perhaps United should have a lemon then?   

pasu129

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 pm

I actually do not think there's anything wrong with the current CO livery. I understanding it is not modern but yet it is timeless, more like the lines of SQ's livery over the years, minor tweaks on fonts and thickness of the cheatline.

I think the current UA livery on their 787 is a classic, keeping the original of what they are, yet put some modern twist on it. 77W will look great in that. However, their 747 fleet might not look so good, it'd be too much similarity to KL's 744.

Re-branding does not necessarily include entire revamp of logo, company's soft-product and hard-product image is just as important. I'm excited to see what UA can bring to the domestic market, maybe of the loyal UA members have switched to AA and DL recently.
Viva Las Vegas

XAM2175

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 54):

It has never worked in small application and is also why it doesn't reproduce well at all with contemporary technology

So interesting how things like this repeat themselves;

Considerations like this often play into well-thought-out brands and logos - a good example is IBM's logo, the base design of which will celebrate its 50th birthday next year. The simple "IBM" wordmark was introduced in 1947 set in Beton Bold, before being updated and set in City Medium by Paul Rand in 1956 to be more "solid, grounded, and balanced". In 1972 it was given, again by Rand, its horizontal stripes to suggest "speed and dynamism". It was also because photocopiers of the time had difficulty accurately reproducing large areas of solid colour.

The striped version was originally produced in two versions; one with eight horizontal stripes, and one with thirteen, the eight-bar version for small-scale use (especially where it had to be reproduced on a dot-matrix printer, or by photographic means), and the thirteen bar version for higher-fidelity applications. Eventually as reproduction technology improved the thirteen-bar version was retired.

winginit

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 1):
I think UA should rebrand, and they should retire the CO Globe livery.
Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 2):
I agree. A rebranding is really needed.
Quoting etops1 (Reply 25):
Get rid of the globe and get rid of the tulip . Come up with something entirely new

I'm not trying to be argumentative here truly, but why? Why invest the millions upon millions of dollars necessary to rebrand when it's simply highly unlikely that the effort will pay off financially? Outside of enthusiasts and maybe to some degree employees who have both personal and professional attachments to a particular brand or logo, is any traveler going to be at all swayed regarding which carrier to fly by the livery or brand to a degree that's significant or pays off?

Am I missing something here?

bgm

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Quoting winginit (Reply 63):
Why invest the millions upon millions of dollars necessary to rebrand when it's simply highly unlikely that the effort will pay off financially?

Because the current branding is duct-taped garbage and is associated with the truly miserable post-merger experience. By introducing a new brand, together with sorting their internal sh*t out, UA could actually become a decent airline again.

winginit

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 64):
Because the current branding is duct-taped garbage and is associated with the truly miserable post-merger experience. By introducing a new brand, together with sorting their internal sh*t out, UA could actually become a decent airline again.

So you're arguing here that the current brand is a significant contributing factor to performance? That customers (your average customer or more importantly your average business customer as opposed to the minuscule percentage of customers who are aviation enthusiasts) are actually changing their purchasing habits because they're not keen on the visual aesthetics of the company?

[Edited 2015-09-14 08:39:59]

UA444

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Branding is important. The ones who want to keep the status quo have no idea how it works. If branding wasn't important, companies wouldn't spend millions on it.

The half assed UA/CO livery is perfect to symbolize the half-assed airline that UA is. Fixing their internal problems and moving far beyond images of CO and Jeff Smisek is sorely needed.

Boeing778X

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 51):
Huh? DL completely erased the NW brand and replaced it with their own rather quickly

I would say the angled DL logo pointing 45* up is a nod to the Compass logo NW had. Could be wrong, but just saying.

Quoting winginit (Reply 63):
I'm not trying to be argumentative here truly, but why? Why invest the millions upon millions of dollars necessary to rebrand when it's simply highly unlikely that the effort will pay off financially?

You're fine, no worries  
I should point out that we're not asking for the "Here and Now" for a rebrand. Perhaps in the next 5-10 years I could see it happening.

Bottom line, it doesn't work.

Quoting UA444 (Reply 5):
As for the "new" stuff, I found it funny that on the bulkheads they blanked out the globe completely and it just looks like a bunch of boomerangs. There really isn't much you can do with the globe, it is a half globe of clip art in a box. Designers are often told to let a logo stand on its own, and it's obvious they need a completely new image and logo
Quoting UA444 (Reply 66):
The half assed UA/CO livery is perfect to symbolize the half-assed airline that UA is. Fixing their internal problems and moving far beyond images of CO and Jeff Smisek is sorely needed.

Dude...Freaking give it a rest already! You're the only one here exhibiting shameless fanboyism  
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

elbandgeek

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 pm

One thing to consider that I hadn't thought about before is that what they're doing now is actually quite similar to what they did in the late 90s when they switched from the serif font used on the battleship livery to the bold uppercase U N I T E D. If you remember, they introduced the new typeface in basically every aspect of the branding except for the outside of the planes themselves (save for a few shuttle ac that used it at one point). They didn't incorporate it into the main livery for several years when they launched Ted and introduced rising blue. Rather than do one huge overhaul at once like AA did, perhaps they're going for a more gradual approach and maybe testing the anti-globe as I call it in areas where they can introduce it without implying it's *the* new logo, and see how it works. Then if the response is good they can gradually expand it into other customer-facing aspects of the brand and if it works out, down the road they'll incorporate it into a new livery at a time that makes sense financially.

STT757

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Branding is important. The ones who want to keep the status quo have no idea how it works. If branding wasn't important, companies wouldn't spend millions on it.

When CO unveiled their new livery in 1991 Pan Am (the original) was still in existence. Pan Am had probably the best well known brand in the entire global airline industry, and it didn't save the company (although the brand still exists in some retail applications). CO's brand was not known as well as Pan Am's, yet 24 years later CO's brand is still in use with United.

It might not be popular with some posters on airliners.net, but after 24 years it has absolutely been accepted as viable if by any other rubric than it's longevity.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jetblastdubai

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Are the logo lights (on the tail) still deactivated? I know UA did this several years ago on at least some of the fleet. We (ATC) were told that the logo lights were an MEL item and if they went OTS, the flight didn't go but by simply deactivating them it was no longer a 'no-go' item.

The logo lights are really helpful when working ATC at an airport at night as well as a nice way to advertise your brand to onlookers at an airport....which is where your customers are.

klwright69

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:17 pm

You are the most bitter and vitriolic person on here regarding this topic. Why?

I have flown UA several times over the last year and they were fine, not half-assed. Actually CO did not get this logo from Smisek, it came long before Smisek even came to CO and UA. We are now at the point where the logo is owned by UA, CO is fading. You keep talking about CO, but most people have moved on. But if they do a complete rebrand without making progress in critical areas, it will make the situation worse not better. It will look like a quck fix and a distraction. Maybe years down the road but not now.

ord

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 67):
I would say the angled DL logo pointing 45* up is a nod to the Compass logo NW had. Could be wrong, but just saying.

You are wrong. As mentioned above, the Delta livery was unveiled an entire year before the Northwest merger was announced.

In addition, Delta was also actively talking merger with United, in addition to Northwest, in late 2007. It could have been United that merged with Delta rather than Northwest.

winginit

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 69):
Pan Am had probably the best well known brand in the entire global airline industry, and it didn't save the company (although the brand still exists in some retail applications)

As an interesting tid-bit that may already be well-known on the forums (apologies if so), but the brand was purchased by Pan Am Systems and the globe logo is still in use today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Systems

copter808

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 3):
I must be the only person on this site in favor of keeping the Globe.

Nope! But maybe it's time to change it a bit.

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 18):
UA should really focus on improving itself before launching a new brand, otherwise the new one will be just as tarnished as the current.

Correct, let's fix the problems, THEN change the logo. Any new logo needs to be something we will all be proud of and will reflect the SUCCESS of the brand.

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 16):
Maybe something along the lines of a star rising above a globe

You may have a winner here! MAybe something combining the first and second images.

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 41):
I work For United as well as being a shareholder. Changing a paint and interior scheme is pricey and an Unnecessary expense at this point in time..
We haven't even integrated the company systems on to One Platform yet. We have systems that work and are changing them to a system that might Half ass work..
That's a sure waste of money Just for Somebody's EGO Boost. Jeff should have been fired for THAT alone.
Getting our Internal house in order is what we need LONG before a new Paint Job..
Getting our house in order so that we can all sing from the same Hymn Book is what's needed and to streamline our operation to make it Leaner and more nimble to market changes and conditions is what needs to go on.
Continental (and Now United )was is run like a Parliament. Nobody seems to be in charge. and if they Are??
You can't tell Whom it is. We need Fewer E.V.P. 's that nobody sees and more "Commanders" that EVERYBODY sees.
We run this place like Nobody has a grip on the situation and I would BET Nobody Does.
Oscar's first move should be to assess the operational Situation, Find out why there are "so many Chiefs and no Indians"
Then see if we NEED that many "Chiefs" and many of the "Indians" in Management.
We need them to ASK what we need instead of making A mountain out of a mole hill out for every decision.
And we need THAT BEFORE any lousy Paint JOB!!
We Could be world Class operators with what I'm suggesting, Or Be putting "Lipstick on a PIG" with a new Paint job

RIGHT, and this needs to be done FIRST!!!!!! Otherwise we will need to replace the tarnished "new logo" again once it becomes associated with failure. United needs to get all it's ducks lined up first, then work on branding.

SXDFC

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 54):
Although that too is an interim solution until the final brand refresh is unveiled around 1Q16...

AS is getting a new livery?

Wingtips56

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 75):
AS is getting a new livery?

Off topic, but yes, it's already out there. Small changes, not drastic. The K is no longer kicking the adjacent A, they changed the green, and dropped the outline around Chester. (He looks a little blah without it.)
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

ghifty

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Quoting ord (Reply 57):
The Delta livery has absolutely nothing to with Northwest. The livery was unveiled April 30, 2007, a full year before the merger was announced on April 15, 2008.

You're right, Delta and Northwest probably never talked to each other before April 15th. They just suddenly decided to merge together, and so it was done.

Regardless of that, their are still visual similarities for those who want to see them. I'm sure at least a handful of ex-NW employees fall into that category.

[Edited 2015-09-14 16:39:58]
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

ord

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:30 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 77):
You're right, Delta and Northwest probably never talked to each other before April 15th. They just suddenly decided to merge together, and so it was done.

Just the same as the livery was a year in the making. That wasn't done overnight, either.

Also, Delta was looking at United as a merger partner, too. What if they had merged instead of Northwest (a real possibility)? I don't see any nod to United's rising blue livery.

Finally, don't you think if Delta had really looked ahead 12 months into the future and knew, just knew, they were going to merge with Northwest, and incorporated some aspect of Northwest's livery, that when the merger did occur Delta (or Lippincott) would have touted this? Of course they would have. But they didn't.

If somebody wants to see visual similarities that's fine. But they were not intentional.

Getting back to United, it takes about a year to develop strategy, create concepts, conduct research, etc. on a new livery. I wonder if United is setting the stage for doing something major 12-18 months from now.

VC10er

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Often a new CEO will strategically justify a rebrand, even if there are more facts that point to the opposite. Naturally I have no clue what is going on inside Mr Munoz' head but it is possible that he wants to make a BIG and visible change to symbolize his taking the throne. It happens. Wolf wanted to change UA to livery to like a bit like Air Force One (AF1 only being when the Prez is on it of course), or just US military, in order to lead the consumer to believe that United is run as efficiently, powerfully and tightly as the military's order and discipline. (At least that is what the ex-Landor people who helped start "March 1st" ...the digital branding agency that created it.

March 1's office was one block away from Landor and opened with huge fanfare. For a new agency, potentially the first digital/web branding agency, took over a whole (ugly) 1960's building on E 18th st, which they restored to perfection. Very impressive and very expensive. The whole branding industry found it very strange that they positioned themselves as very innovative, forward focused digital agency, yet they took on a good old fashioned branding project for United. A project totally outside what their focus was. But, there were ex-Landor execs there who did have a lot of airline branding and must have been the ones who sold this in.

CALTECH

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting ord (Reply 78):
Also, Delta was looking at United as a merger partner, too. What if they had merged instead of Northwest (a real possibility)? I don't see any nod to United's rising blue livery.

And talking merger with Continental too.....

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/repor...a-discussing-merger/story?id=88670

"Delta Air Lines, the nation's third-largest carrier, and Continental Airlines reportedly have begun talks about a merger in which Continental would acquire the much larger Delta."
You are here.

ord

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 80):
And talking merger with Continental too.....

This is true, although Delta was discussing merger with Continental in the early 2000s.

My point was Delta was discussing a merger with both United and Northwest in 2007. It could have gone either way, and Wall Street was actually pushing for a Delta-United deal.

CALTECH

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Quoting ord (Reply 81):
his is true, although Delta was discussing merger with Continental in the early 2000s.

My point was Delta was discussing a merger with both United and Northwest in 2007. It could have gone either way, and Wall Street was actually pushing for a Delta-United deal.

All in those crazy days, Skyteam with Continental, Delta, Northwest and KLM, and that Golden Veto Vote held by Northwest over Continental.

For a while, believed it was going to be Delat/Northwest, United/USAir and American/Continental.
You are here.

eaglepower83

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Quoting StrandedAtMKG (Reply 37):
, it just looks very half-assed. From afar it just looks like the most creative thing they could think of to do was slap UA titles on the CO branding.

It's half assed because JEFF DESIGNED IT HIMSELF.
In fact, it was even worse than what we got now. It was "United" in the CO serif font. But the font got such a bad backlash, that Jeff slightly caved and had a new font designed.

I must say, that cabin refresh looks pretty darn good.
I'm impressed.
Hopefully the new seats won't give me scoliosis like sCO's seats.