Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Flights From DXB To MEX Soon

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:02 am

The Mexican ambassador the UAE, Mr. Francisco Alonso has stated that direct flights from Dubai to Mexico will start soon and the official announcement will be made very soon.

Source: Gulf news newspaper (printed version)
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

ojas

RE: Flights From DXB To MEX Soon

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:20 am

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Thread starter):
The Mexican ambassador the UAE, Mr. Francisco Alonso has stated that direct flights from Dubai to Mexico will start soon and the official announcement will be made very soon.

Congratulations to Aeromexico!
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

Cipango

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 1):

Where did you read that this route is to be operated by AM? I would have thought that only EK could make a route like this viable.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38 pm

It will most definately be EK. Question is, where will the stopover be on the outbound flight from MEX? US, Europe, CUN, HAV?

Will be interesting to see.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

aa1818

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 2):
Where did you read that this route is to be operated by AM? I would have thought that only EK could make a route like this viable.

I agree- I would have thought EK would be flying this.
After announcing PTY, MEX is a logical destination. I would have even thought MEX before PTY!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

TKA380

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:55 pm

If it is EK, where will they be carrying passengers from. Middle East? Surely for Asia, it'd be quicker to go the other way around (Pacific Ocean). Sounds exciting anyway.

[Edited 2015-09-15 05:56:07]

enilria

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 3):
It will most definately be EK. Question is, where will the stopover be on the outbound flight from MEX? US, Europe, CUN, HAV?

Will be interesting to see.

ATL would be a great spot for a stop

TKA380

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Why is a stopover necessary?

Miami

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Gulf news has the story: http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/society...rom-dubai-to-mexico-soon-1.1583817

The only question is: how soon is soon?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Thenoflyzone

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Quoting TKA380 (Reply 7):

Because MEX is a hot and high airport, at 7,316ft above sea level. A 7,700 nm journey to DXB with a full load of passengers and bags is out of the question. Hence the stopover.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Coronado990

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:51 pm

I'd laugh if the destination was something like TIJ. The article doesn't specifically say Mexico City. I guess we are to assume that.
Cornucopia

a380787

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:56 pm

just launch DXB-ATL-MEX and stab DL right in the heart already =)

DolphinAir747

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Hmm, the fact that B6 is launching MCO MEX to connect with EK makes me doubt that EK is going to send their own metal to MEX soon.

ccs757

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mexico currently does not allow 5th freedom flights, so if EK wants to fly to MEX they might choose to do a triangular with another city in Mexico, and Cancun makes the most sense in that case. Also remember that TK has showed interest in CUN for a while, and it might benefit EK to get there first.

Given that, I think DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB is a likely scenario.

[Edited 2015-09-15 08:00:36]

EddieDude

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 1):

Funny. AM has no plane capable of flying this route nonstop, and AM would not be able to make it work even if it had such a plane. It will be EK or no one. In fact, no plane in the market today is optimal for this route. I understand studies were made to determine whether an A345 could fly nonstop MEX-U.A.E., and the answer was no without significant penalties. Maybe A359LRs or 778Xs could do it, but that is a moot point today.

Question is, where will the stopover be on the outbound flight from MEX?

Some city in Europe other than MAD, CDG, FRA, LHR is my bet. And it might be a fifth-freedom stop both ways, not just a technical stop on the outbound from MEX.

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 4):
After announcing PTY, MEX is a logical destination. I would have even thought MEX before PTY!

For sure, but the technical challenges of flying MEX-DXB nonstop have prevented this from happening.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 12):
mm, the fact that B6 is launching MCO MEX to connect with EK makes me doubt that EK is going to send their own metal to MEX soon.

For that matter, EK could connect nicely with AM at a number of U.S. cities (subject to them entering into an interline or codeshare agreement). B6's launch of MEX is not that big a factor in EK's considerations in my opinion. Plus, the article mentions "direct" which implies same flight number or same airplane service even if it has a stop. This suggests EK would be landing in MEX, not just codesharing on a flight from another carrier.

Quoting ccs757 (Reply 13):
Mexico currently does not allow 5th freedom flights, so if EK wants to fly to MEX they might choose to do a triangular with another city in Mexico, and Cancun makes the most sense in that case.

If I am not mistaken, the U.A.E.-Mexico bilateral provides for a number of fifth-freedom intermediate stops in Europe. Think more CPH/MXP than MAD/CDG for obvious reasons. I am sure I read about that but of course I could be wrong. CUN is also an option of course as you mention.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

factsonly

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 14):
Question is, where will the stopover be on the outbound flight from MEX?

Some city in Europe other than MAD, CDG, FRA, LHR is my bet. And it might be a fifth-freedom stop both ways, not just a technical stop on the outbound from MEX.

Anywhere along this route:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=mex-dxb

- i.e. OSL, CPH, HAM, AMS or perhaps even flexibly - a different city depending on weather.

Now that would be a scheduling adventure, possible when one crew flies MEX-DXB.

photolppt

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Just give EK 5th freedom rights between LIS-MEX, and problem solved. Plus, no service between Portugal and Mexico at the moment, so, who knows...  

ASA

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 1):

I see lots of replies took this differently.

Quoting ccs757 (Reply 13):
Given that, I think DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB is a likely scenario.

Imagine what the world has come to ... someone can now from THR to CUN for a dip in the ocean ... with just one stop. Almost like a mirror image of someone flying BOS-DXB-MLE for a fun weekend. EK has truly changed the world!

aa1818

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 pm

While there is no demand between DXB and POS and between POS and MEX, I think POS should be the stop-over between DXB and MEX for three reasons.

1) I've been meaning to go back to MEX and would love to do so non-stop.
2) It would be really cool to see a EK plane (A380/ 77W) land/ take off twice a day in POS every day.
3) Someday I'll visit DXB and again, it would be really convenient for there to be a non-stop flight.

Shameless plug over!

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Viscount724

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:14 am

Quoting TKA380 (Reply 5):
If it is EK, where will they be carrying passengers from. Middle East? Surely for Asia, it'd be quicker to go the other way around (Pacific Ocean). Sounds exciting anyway.

Depends where in Asia. From India it's shorter via DXB than via the Pacific.

CXfirst

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:58 am

A lot of people are thinking a triangular route DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB (an example), however, I do believe flying via CUN both ways will be more likely, even if they cannot carry local trafffic for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if you fly the triangular route, you would likely need to make minimum turn around times at both MEX and CUN, as you wouldn't want CUN bound passengers waiting in MEX for a long time. This can be difficult to work into the DXB departure and arrival hubs (but of course, not impossible, it might work quite well).

Secondly, doing the triangular route, would require crew rests at hotels at both CUN and MEX. Going via CUN both ways, you could get one set of crew doing CUN-MEX-CUN, allowing all crew accomodation to be done in CUN, which might be a cost saving. However, probably not enough to exclude doing a triangular route.

Thirdly, the slightly shorter (but still long) sector length, could allow a bit more payload on the flights, and a little less fuel costs in having to haul fuel. DXB-MEX is an extremely long flight, longer than DXB-PTY, which will become the longest flight shortly.

Personally, I hope they do it with a stopover via Europe somewhere, rather than CUN. Don't think the US would make a nice stopover place, due to difficulties with transferring and visas, etc.

-CXfirst

MAH4546

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:26 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 20):
due to difficulties with transferring and visas, etc.

The demographics of the passengers travelling on this flight would have absolutely no such "difficulties."
a.

santi319

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:38 am

It should be via YUL. Win-win for all parties involved. Minimum deviation...

CXfirst

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:35 am

Quoting santi319 (Reply 22):

Well, apart from the fact that EK are using all their rights to Canada with the 4xweekly YYZ flight.

Canada, with current bilaterals are out of the question. US, I still think might cause problems due to transfer visas. Not sure what Mexicos bilaterals are like.

-CXfirst

777X

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:44 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 6):
ATL would be a great spot for a stop

My friend, I like your thinking! 

jfk777

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 am

Quoting ojas (Reply 1):

That's funny, the only airline for this to work is Emirates.

B8887

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 20):
A lot of people are thinking a triangular route DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB (an example), however, I do believe flying via CUN both ways will be more likely, even if they cannot carry local trafffic for a couple of reasons.

Mmmh, interesting thinking. However CUN is no MCO, although both are subtropical destinations, the comparison stops there. MCO is a destination in itself where the average tourist spends a rather large amount of money per day. CUN is little more than a long stretch of sand.

This MEX thing for EK is really tricky! I am not sure if this will end up like LHR-SYD, in other words, a no-go. Maybe it just doesn't work out. Period.

Regards.

B8887

airbazar

Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Funny. AM has no plane capable of flying this route nonstop

It says direct. It doesn't say non-stop. To me that implies a stop somewhere.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 25):
That's funny, the only airline for this to work is Emirates.

Not really. AM's CDG flight could continue to DXB. CDG is a SkyTeam hub and France may actually grant AM the necessary 5th freedom which is more likely than any EU country granting EK the necessary 5th freedom to fly to/from MEX.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Actually the great circle route from DXB to MEX passes right overhead YYZ, not YUL.

KEF would be an interesting stopover point. Close to the great circle non stop route between MEX and DXB, and would cut the journey exactly in half. Plus its another country that is not currently served by EK.

Added some more interesting stopover points close to the GC route in the following map.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=mex-dxb...osl,+kef,+dtw,+waw,+txl,+msy&DU=km

lightsaber

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:58 pm

Maybe A359LRs or 778Xs could do it, but that is a moot point today.

This route is in my opinion too long for the 77L, in particular from MEX to DXB. Something isn't adding up. I'd like to see more flights, but that long of a flight from a high altitude "hot" airport? Something isn't quite adding up.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 21):
The demographics of the passengers travelling on this flight would have absolutely no such "difficulties."

US transit visas have been an issue, so apparently there is some 'difficulty.'

Quoting airbazar (Reply 27):

I think you are right.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

qm001

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:04 pm

I think photolppt has something. Emirates will soon be going twice daily to Lisbon from Dubai, and it would be a great stopover to connect to MEX, with a TP flight number in codeshare. I think this could be a great solution!

This could be one of the 7 additional North American routes TP has said they want to start  
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 28):
KEF would be an interesting stopover point. Close to the great circle non stop route between MEX and DXB, and would cut the journey exactly in half. Plus its another country that is not currently served by EK.

Now I think that is a serious option, you get the ice and sand mix and it's on route and a new location for EK.   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

santi319

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Actually the great circle route from DXB to MEX passes right overhead YYZ, not YUL.

Hence why I said "Minimum deviation".

sshank

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Quoting ojas (Reply 1):

lightsaber

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:18 pm

The GC route DXB-MEX also passes right over Copenhagen.    To keep costs down, it is best to shorten the 'long leg and DXB-CPH-MEX is only 2nm longer than the 7746nm of the direct DXB-MEX. Longest leg: 5145nm
DXB-ARN-MEX is 7752nm, longest leg 5167nm
DXB-YYZ-MEX is 7746nm, longest leg 5995nm

Since Canada has a more expensive 'longest leg' and is unlikely to allow more transit rights... Stockholm or Copenhagen seem to be far better commercial opportunities.   

Heck, DXB-GLA-MEX is only 7,759nm with a longest leg of only 4602 nm.

I haven't done the math, but I would guess shortening the long length by 533nm saves more in costs than adding 11nm to the flight compared to DXB-CPH-MEX.

DXB-DUB-MEX at 7,777nm is an option too. Longest leg only 4,577 nm.

In reality, quite a few European airports would work. The best value would be with local feed. Since EK already partners with U2, I looked at U2's feed and that makes DUB or GLA the best choices for EK to stop on the way to MEX.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

yellowtail

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:10 pm

DXB-LIS-MEX
DXB-BCN-MEX
DXB-CUN-MEX

works best, in that order.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

EddieDude

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:28 pm

For EK, an intermediate stop with fifth-freedom rights would work. Not for AM. AM quit flying fifth freedom flights many years ago. Expect all long-haul service to be launched by AM in the future to be non-stop. Otherwise, they won't do it.

Not really. AM's CDG flight could continue to DXB. CDG is a SkyTeam hub and France may actually grant AM the necessary 5th freedom which is more likely than any EU country granting EK the necessary 5th freedom to fly to/from MEX.

Why would AM want to do this? Would this be profitable?
Upcoming flights:

DTWLAX

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 35):
works best, in that order.

Best in what respect?

sunrisevalley

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:39 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 29):
Something isn't quite adding up.

The runway requirements for a std. day ( which is ~ 1.60 C for the altitude of MEX) + 27 C puts MTOW for both the 77L and 77W at ~ 280t.
Assuming a payload of ~ 40t the range for the 77W is ~3800nm and for the 77L about 5000nm. The 77W would need a stop on the US east Coast ; the 77L should make Scandanavia.

jfk777

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 25):That's funny, the only airline for this to work is Emirates.

Since Emirates is an ultra long range specialist its only natural to assume they would fly to Mexico from Dubai since the O & D market is limited. Why would AM fly such a route ?

AM could stop anywhere is Europe but in this day and age why would we assume they would ? The only logic for AM to ever fly to Dubai is if Emirates joined Skyteam, the odds of that are low. Mexicans going to Dubai on AM should be flown to CDG and left for AF for the CDG to Dubai portion.

2travel2know2

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:08 pm

If EK is after more business passengers, then DXB-MEX-MTY-DXB could be a good choice.
CUN might have its draw, so DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB is another option.
A stop in either U.S.A. or Canada will impose all those who need U.S.A./Canada visas to enter those countries to get those in order to fly that route.
Mexicans will oppose EK flying any city pair already flown by a Mexican airline and rule out intermediate stop in Spain.
If EK wants some MEX-Europe O/D traffic, perhaps BRU, CPH, ARN, MAN (!) might be attractive stop-en-route to choose from for EK,
KEF, might be more like a tech-stop than anything else but no doubt could raise exponentially Iceland connectivity to the rest of the world .
I'm not on CM's payroll.

EddieDude

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:47 pm

The Canadian visa requirement has been cancelled, no? Anyhow, it would not be Canada. EK is very limited in terms of Canada rights.
Upcoming flights:

Viscount724

Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:13 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 41):
The Canadian visa requirement has been cancelled, no?

For what citizenship? I expect a high percentage of EK passengers to Canada require a visa, meaning most of those who aren't Canadian citizens. Most of the countries whose citizens do not require a visa for Canada are in Europe and some in the Pacific (Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore etc.) plus some in the Caribbean and one in South America (Chile). Few of those people will be flying EK to Canada via DXB.

paparrucho

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:44 am

How about DUBAI-MILAN-MEXICO or DUBAI-ROME-MEXICO ???

airbazar

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 36):
Why would AM want to do this? Would this be profitable?

If AM has any intentions to fly anywhere in Asian a refueling stop is a requirement. They already do that for PEK and PVG. Simple as that. I'm not saying they will do it. Just pointing out the obvious. Likewise for EK, at least until the 778 arrives. The problem for EK is that I don't see an EU country allowing it in this day and age.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 39):

AM could stop anywhere is Europe but in this day and age why would we assume they would ?

I'm not assuming anything. I'm simply suggesting an alternative. If they wanted to fly further than Western Europe, a stop is a requirement and what better place to stop and pick up passengers than a SkyTeam hub?

EddieDude

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 42):
For what citizenship? I expect a high percentage of EK passengers to Canada require a visa, meaning most of those who aren't Canadian citizens.

For Mexicans. Sorry I did not expressly say so, but I thought it was obvious in the context of this discussion and of the post immediately prior to mine. 2travel2know2 discussed in such post something about U.S. and Canadian visas for Mexicans suggesting a stopover in the U.S. or Canada would not work well.

Quoting paparrucho (Reply 43):
How about DUBAI-MILAN-MEXICO or DUBAI-ROME-MEXICO ???

FCO perhaps not now that AZ is launching FCO-MEX service in 2016.

Does anyone have the U.A.E.-Mexico bilateral? If I am not mistaken, it contains a list of possible fifth freedom stopovers in Europe.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 44):
If AM has any intentions to fly anywhere in Asian a refueling stop is a requirement. They already do that for PEK and PVG.

AM does not fly to PEK; its only Asian destinations are NRT and PVG. It is speculated that these flights might become non-stop once AM receives its 789s.
Upcoming flights:

Viscount724

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:34 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 45):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 42):
For what citizenship? I expect a high percentage of EK passengers to Canada require a visa, meaning most of those who aren't Canadian citizens.

For Mexicans. Sorry I did not expressly say so, but I thought it was obvious in the context of this discussion and of the post immediately prior to mine. 2travel2know2 discussed in such post something about U.S. and Canadian visas for Mexicans suggesting a stopover in the U.S. or Canada would not work well.

If I read the new Canadian rules for Mexican visitors effective March 15 2016 correctly, Mexicans will still require a visa for Canada unless they can show that they have visited either Canada or the U.S. wthin the past 10 years. In that case they can use the new electronic travel authorization procedure.

EddieDude

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 46):
If I read the new Canadian rules for Mexican visitors effective March 15 2016 correctly, Mexicans will still require a visa for Canada unless they can show that they have visited either Canada or the U.S. wthin the past 10 years. In that case they can use the new electronic travel authorization procedure.

Which should be quite easy to satisfy.
Upcoming flights:

Viscount724

Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 47):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 46):

Which should be quite easy to satisfy.

In a 2013 survey, more than 50% of Americans had never been outside the U.S. I wonder what the equivalent percentage is for Mexicans outside Mexico?

[Edited 2015-09-21 20:37:11]

SJOtoLIR

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting TKA380 (Reply 7):

Constraints due to the extreme altitude in Mexico City for a MEX-DXB flight as non-stop, as pointing out before.
Even AM MEX-NRT is not feasible for AM using the 787-8 equipment. It requires a layover in Monterrey; Tijuana in the past years.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos