Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bigfoot0503

RE: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 9

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:02 am

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 149):

I'm actually a bit suprised that we have not seen DL enter into the EUG, or MFR markets yet from their SEA hub. They recently began SEA-PSC flights in addition to the GEG & BOI markets...time will tell.

tomcbaker

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 148):
I'm guessing AS is going to have to step up it's game again on the SEA-PDX run next summer..Going to be interesting to watch....

I'm not sure AS cares but I don't disagree with you. AS has the most impressive/comprehensive PDX-SEA shuttle and has had it long enough that people like me will fly it either way because of the mileage points we get. AS has some of the most loyal FF's around and if you live in the PNW and fly SEA-PDX frequently (as I do) it makes more sense to stay with the airline that you know will still be in town in 10 years versus one that might not (DL has a long history in the PNW but it is first and foremost a southern airline and their PNW presence has definitely ebbed and flowed over the years).

I will admit that I'd MUCH rather fly a 717 or E175 than one of QX's cattle cars on this route. As short as it is, and even though I almost always get a first row aisle seat, a lot of the QX Q400's are run down and showing their age on the inside. Not to mention many that don't have window shades or seats that recline whatsoever, plus who doesn't enjoy walking outside from the stand to the gate in the rain/ice during a SEA/PDX winter, not to mention the noise of a Q versus a 717.

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 149):
I don't know if DL is making money yet

I can't imagine that they are making money on many of the short haul domestic routes out of SEA, but I'm not sure they care as long as they have the connections for their international passengers. An airline as big/rich as DL can afford to hit or miss a lot more than AS. I also can't imagine that PDX-SEA on a 738 is profitable, even with full loads. Even short haul WN routes on 733's/737's are usually a bit longer than 35-40 minutes, and obviously, WN and DL are two different animals.

Quoting bigfoot0503 (Reply 150):
I'm actually a bit suprised that we have not seen DL enter into the EUG, or MFR markets yet from their SEA hub.

I imagine they don't have the demand for those markets (yet) from connecting passengers. I was in Alaska last week and I noticed my flight from SEA-ANC seemed to have a large number of connecting Japanese tourists from a DL flight. Needless to say, November isn't exactly peak tourist season in Anchorage, but I overheard them talking about the northern lights and the Kenai peninsula. And, there were Japanese tourists doing day trips from ANC to Barrow (yes, Barrow - saw that first hand last week) just to spend a few hours in town taking pictures on the Arctic. I'm sure these are big money makers for DL/AS but I'm not sure there is as much demand from Japan to EUG/MFR.

Airnerd

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 151):
I will admit that I'd MUCH rather fly a 717 or E175 than one of QX's cattle cars on this route.

Unless the 717 comes with free beer/wine like the Q, I'm taking the Q every time.

BigGSFO

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 am

The Q will always win on this short route in my opinion. Quick boarding/unloading, always an aisle or window, close in gates, free beer.

RWA380

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:13 am

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 148):

I'm guessing AS is going to have to step up it's game again on the SEA-PDX run next summer..Going to be interesting to watch....

Most people flying PDX-SEA are connecting. I expect that the fact AS goes at least hourly during the workday/workweek, they will retain the lions share, of the O/D traffic. DL is also RON'ing planes where they can, YVR, PSC, GEG, PDX are all close by.

I don't think it really matters what aircraft type on this short of a route, well except us A.nutters, most peoples decision will be made on what airline they are connecting to at SEA.

IIRC, AS has one daily 738 in each direction. It's the 7:00am out of PDX & the 10:30pm return from SEA. These are almost always full as they make the largest flight banks in / out of SEA.

32andBelow

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 154):
IIRC, AS has one daily 738 in each direction. It's the 7:00am out of PDX & the 10:30pm return from SEA. These are almost always full as they make the largest flight banks in / out of SEA.

I was under the impression they have as many as 4 mainline 737 turns now.

RWA380

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:43 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 155):
I was under the impression they have as many as 4 mainline 737 turns now.

They did in the summer time this past season, but currently it's just the one daily mainline flight.

lhpdx

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Looks like flights to China isn't going to happen anytime soon...

Portland International Airport doesn’t serve China directly, and to get direct service would require at least 65,000 travelers per year. “And we just don’t have that,” said Port of Portland Executive Director Bill Wyatt.
Today, there’s about five people per day traveling to China through PDX. If the economy continues to grow as it is — something Wyatt says isn’t likely — then Portland could maybe make a case for direct service in five years.
Market growth, though, isn’t the only factor. Wyatt said major carriers have been acquiring the type of 240- to 250-passenger planes that are most ideal to serve a smaller market like PDX on a long-haul basis to major Chinese cities.  

flyoregon

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 157):
Portland International Airport doesn’t serve China directly, and to get direct service would require at least 65,000 travelers per year. “And we just don’t have that,” said Port of Portland Executive Director Bill Wyatt.Today, there’s about five people per day traveling to China through PDX. If the economy continues to grow as it is — something Wyatt says isn’t likely — then Portland could maybe make a case for direct service in five years.Market growth, though, isn’t the only factor. Wyatt said major carriers have been acquiring the type of 240- to 250-passenger planes that are most ideal to serve a smaller market like PDX on a long-haul basis to major Chinese cities.

He knows what he's talking about, but I still think HU stands a chance even on a summer seasonal basis (not sure if that fits in their business plan or not)

I wonder if the 5 per day is O&D only, because if it is, I'd be curious to know what the leakage is from Oregon to Seattle or SFO/LAX to China. If a carrier like HU can be lured into PDX with connecting traffic from Alaska, perhaps it's more? I have to believe that it is. I know connecting traffic isn't everything and codeshares/interlines aren't a save all, but it certainly helps and it makes the numbers look different.

flyoregon

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 pm

I've noticed that Air Canada has been flying CRJ-900's PDX-YYC for at least the last week and a half. Nice to see bigger aircraft to/from Canada! Wish we could get YYZ back.

Also, heads-up to PDX spotters, Horizon will be viewing an ERJ-175 and CRJ-900 this Saturday the 14th. I presume that they will be Embraer and Bombardier demo jets, so be on the look out.

flyoregon

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 am

AC8316 to YYC was flown with a Q400 today. First time a carrier other than QX has flown a Q400 to PDX? Flightaware says it's a CRJ9 today, while Flightradar24 has it correct as a Q400, which I saw personally so that is confirmed. It was cool to see two Air Canada tails at PDX at the same time even if they were both just Q's.

32andBelow

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:24 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 159):
Horizon will be viewing an ERJ-175

can't they just non rev on the ones already in their system?      

flyoregon

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere:

Eff. 25 March 2016, Spirit to serve LAX daily from PDX

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/...expanded-service-in-20151112-00808

[Edited 2015-11-12 08:19:04]

bigfoot0503

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 162):
Eff. 25 March 2016, Spirit to serve LAX daily from PDX

Interesting...I too did not see this information posted until now (although a seperate a-net topic states the route was previously announced???)

Since UA pulled out of the PDX-LAX market there have been notable additions for this city pair. WN started their n/s flights recently, AS has added frequency, DL came into the market and will be all mainline by S16...and now NK.

flyoregon

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Quoting bigfoot0503 (Reply 163):
Interesting...I too did not see this information posted until now (although a seperate a-net topic states the route was previously announced???)Since UA pulled out of the PDX-LAX market there have been notable additions for this city pair. WN started their n/s flights recently, AS has added frequency, DL came into the market and will be all mainline by S16...and now NK.

I didn't see it either. Maybe the OP was thinking about the SEA announcement.

Just a few years ago, there was AS, DL, UA, and VX on the PDXLAX route. UA and VX both quite because the market was saturated (?) or whatever. Now, we're back up to four with two new and very different products than UA or VX. So what's the change? The economy is better in Portland now than it was just a few short years ago, but not drastically.

Chances that AA get in to the game were already slim, but now with a stronger AS bond and NK entering the market, I don't see it happening. Five carriers would be WAY too many as far as I'm concerned.

Was the reason that Virgin America stopped PDX-LAX due to lack of demand or was it to use the aircraft elsewhere? I'm still trying to figure out how that airline thinks...

mwh787

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I do see there is an announcement by NK showing the PDX/LAX route starting March 26 2016

Some discussion in another thread

Spirit Grows LAX - Will Serve 18 Cities

Now that the press release is formally out.

Spirit Airlines is planning a rather large push at LAX with added new service over the next 6-months.

New Routes:
OAK - Eff Nov 12 - 2x daily **previously announced
SEA - Eff Mar 24 - 2x daily **previously announced
PDX - Eff Mar 26 - daily **previously announced
PHX - Eff Apr 08 - 2x daily
PHL - Eff Apr 14 - daily
MSY - Eff Apr 14 - daily

Adds another airline to the route but not a big deal IMO hopefully they pick some decent timing

Airnerd

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 164):
So what's the change? The economy is better in Portland now than it was just a few short years ago, but not drastically.

I think there's been a huge increase in both local area economic activity, but also in tourism to the region from elsewhere. PDX has gone from 13M annual passengers to around 17M in just 5 years. That extra 4M passengers means there's room for some new players on key routes.

lhpdx

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 pm

What changed? Have you seen to endless construction going on in Portland...Tourism is up, tech jobs are migrating here and so are the people.........

flyoregon

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting Airnerd (Reply 166):

I think there's been a huge increase in both local area economic activity, but also in tourism to the region from elsewhere. PDX has gone from 13M annual passengers to around 17M in just 5 years. That extra 4M passengers means there's room for some new players on key routes.
Quoting Airnerd (Reply 166):
What changed? Have you seen to endless construction going on in Portland...Tourism is up, tech jobs are migrating here and so are the people.........

I'm very aware of the economic uptick seen in the Portland area and surrounding region. I'm also very aware of the tourism and passenger increase over the last few years. But that increase has been happening over the last few years albeit not to the same percentage that we're seeing today. When VX dropped LAX, the economy, tourism, pax numbers were all on the rise, but they dropped it anyway allowing for Southwest and now Spirit to enter.

Since 2011, PDX passenger counts have risen by an average of 746,682 passengers per year. Over the last couple of months, Virgin has seen increases in passengers/month while Spirit has seen dramatic decreases in terms of percentage year over year.

I'm happy to see Spirit add a new market from Portland, and I don't necessarily care that United specifically dropped the route. I just don't understand why United and Virgin dropped it in the first place while United kept Boise-Los Angeles, Salt Lake City-Los Angeles; which has five carriers on the route by the way even if AA and UA are RJ routes.

[Edited 2015-11-12 14:17:25]

ANA787

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 157):

5 people per day from PDX to China. This is not accurate.

See this link:
http://www.travelportland.com/wp-con...ter-Portland-2014-24-June-2015.pdf

If we only need 65,000 from China per year, we are not far off with the current growth rate. Last year 2014 there was 44,000 arrivals from China last year to Oregon, an increase of 27% year over year. Will be interesting to see the numbers for 2015. Hainan could easily fill this void in nonstop service to China.

lhpdx

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:45 am

Also, heads-up to PDX spotters, Horizon will be viewing an ERJ-175 and CRJ-900 this Saturday the 14th. I presume that they will be Embraer and Bombardier demo jets, so be on the look out.

Looks like they were both nicely tucked away inside of the Horizon hanger...I wonder if Alaska does decides on the Embraer-175 if they'll have to expand the maintenance hanger at PDX?

lhpdx

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 pm

AA ORD-PDX APR 1.9>1.0 MAY 2>1.0
AA PHL-PDX MAY 0.9>0
AA PHX-PDX MAR 6>4 APR 6>4 MAY 6>5 JUN 6>5 JUL 6>5
AS PDX-FAT APR 1.0>2 MAY 1.0>2.0 JUN 1.0>2 JUL 1.0>2
AS PDX-LAX MAR 8>7 APR 9>7 MAY 9>7
AS PDX-ONT APR 2>3 MAY 2>3
AS PDX-SFO APR 5>6 MAY 5>6
AS PDX-SJC MAR 5>4 APR 5>4 MAY 5>4
AS PDX-SLC APR 2>3 MAY 2>3
AS PDX-STS APR 1.0>1.9
AS PDX-YVR MAY 1.0>2
*NK LAX-PDX APR 0>1.0 MAY 0>1.0 JUN 0>1.0 JUL 0>1

ANA787

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 171):

Some nice increases from AS at PDX. Wonder if we will see any new destinations from AS for the start of the summer season?
Hopefully:
AS PDX-DEN
AS PDX-YYC
AS PDX-EWR

BlatantEcho

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:21 pm

What's up with the AA reductions?

--
Also, so grateful for all the nonstops.

Last week did nrt-pdx, today heading out pdx-ams.
Makes my life so much easier.

Looking forward to using pdx-aus in a few weeks and then mci/oma next year.

Grow grow grow.

lhpdx

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:26 pm

I was hoping since AA and AS were getting cozier the opposite would occur at PDX...AA has never really shown much love for Portland...

HPRamper

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Last week's update - (AA PHL-PDX MAY 0>0.9)

This week

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 171):
AA PHL-PDX MAY 0.9>0

Something isn't right here. I think this week's might be a mistake reversal. Next week should tell, hopefully.

tomcbaker

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Quoting Airnerd (Reply 152):

Quoting tomcbaker (Reply 151):
I will admit that I'd MUCH rather fly a 717 or E175 than one of QX's cattle cars on this route.

Unless the 717 comes with free beer/wine like the Q, I'm taking the Q every time.

Haha, oh what a reason. Hate to tell you this but there are many times when QX doesn't serve beer/wine on Q400 service either. In the last dozen times I've flown SEA-PDX, beer/wine were served maybe 2/3 of the time. And on the YYJ-SEA commuter, QX doesn't serve anything most of the time. You're lucky to get water, but even water is infrequent due to the fact that the flight is so short (among the shortest in QX's route network). I am down in either OTH or AST several times a month and I can tell you as a frequent YVR-SEA-PDX QX passenger that the beer/wine service is often either forgotten or skipped due to "weather" (which seems to be anything from light rain to partly cloudy weather).

I will concede the Q is faster to load/unload - of course it is when it's a smaller airplane that loads/unloads from two different doors. I'll still take the 717 any chance I can get, thanks. Not to mention the fantastic morale at QX as older employees have watched AS shed their original brand image/identity, jets and routes to Skywest (note: this is sarcasm). Would love to see QX get longer routes and jets back but I don't see AS ultimately allowing it.

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 159):
I've noticed that Air Canada has been flying CRJ-900's PDX-YYC for at least the last week and a half. Nice to see bigger aircraft to/from Canada! Wish we could get YYZ back.

PDX-YYZ would be awesome but I wonder if the market for nonstop service exists given that AC already flies an E90 daily from SEA-YYZ and has for years but it hasn't up gauged to an A320 or to more than one flight a day.

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 160):
AC8316 to YYC was flown with a Q400 today. First time a carrier other than QX has flown a Q400 to PDX? Flightaware says it's a CRJ9 today, while Flightradar24 has it correct as a Q400, which I saw personally so that is confirmed. It was cool to see two Air Canada tails at PDX at the same time even if they were both just Q's.

Yeah, I think so; the west coast of the US has pretty much only been QX territory as far as the Q400 is concerned. In BC we have Westjet Encore flying the Q400 in addition to AC Express, and on the east coast we also have Porter flying them; obviously, the eastern US had Colgan and still has Republic flying them too.

flyoregon

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:37 pm

For those that were wondering or care, the E175 that Horizon had for their viewing "party" was a Mesa operated E175 in United Express colors while the CRJ-900 was in BBD demo colors.

Dreamflight767

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 am

Anybody know what's going on at PDX right now? Sounds like a disabled A/C that may have been in an accident.

32andBelow

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:20 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 177):

For those that were wondering or care, the E175 that Horizon had for their viewing "party" was a Mesa operated E175 in United Express colors while the CRJ-900 was in BBD demo colors.

Everyone understands have ridiculous this is right? AS/QX should be able to get time in a 175 or crj900 in their colors whenever they want.

RWA380

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 179):
Everyone understands have ridiculous this is right? AS/QX should be able to get time in a 175 or crj900 in their colors whenever they want

What seems different to me, is the fact that both companies came to QX on the same day, showing their rival aircraft to a potential buyer. I have always been under the assumption that airlines meet one on one with each manufacturer & experience the particular dog & pony show that the manufacturers provide.

lhpdx

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:06 pm

flyoregon

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 181):
More on PDX general aviation news:

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...igh-end-outpost-for-corporate.html

Looks really good although I'll miss the old United building even though it wasn't being used. It's fun to see some of the United GSE, a stair struck specifically, with the battleship gray colors with colored tulip and stripes on it around PDX still. Brings back good memories.

ramprat74

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

I don't know why they are not razing the old United GSE building and Flight kitchen along with the cargo building? The Port is letting United use their glycol tanks at the GSE building for this winter season, then we will move them for next year. The video shows the Atlantic tankers parked over there.

UnitedFlyer

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:41 am

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20151117/NEWS/151119644/0/SEARCH

Looks like more good news for MFR! Record year coming for sure!

BlatantEcho

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:30 pm

According to this article, Toronto non stop is coming back (if seasonal)

http://news.yahoo.com/air-canada-unv...ils-major-expansion-120100722.html

This is great. I was booked on this a few years but never flew it as it was pulled.
This is a good development.

flyoregon

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 185):
According to this article, Toronto non stop is coming back (if seasonal)http://news.yahoo.com/air-canada-unv...ils-major-expansion-120100722.html This is great. I was booked on this a few years but never flew it as it was pulled. This is a good development.

This is excellent news! Love to see Air Canada doing well in Portland with the now year-round non-stop to Calgary, and now Toronto. However, it will be interesting to see how successful the YYZ flight is. Isn't SEA still a single-daily ERJ-190 flight?

I'm surprised to see Salt Lake City as a year-round flight when PDX is only a seasonal flight. Air Canada has had very little success in that market having tried SLC-YYZ in years past with the CRJ-900. I'd be surprised if it was successful this time around.

[Edited 2015-11-19 07:06:34]

ANA787

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Finally PDX-YYZ resumes!! Been waiting for years. Will use this flight very often.

Airnerd

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 187):
Finally PDX-YYZ resumes!! Been waiting for years. Will use this flight very often.

Didn't see the equipment type. Assume it's also an E190? Is that what they used when it ran in the past?

flyoregon

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Quoting Airnerd (Reply 188):
Didn't see the equipment type. Assume it's also an E190? Is that what they used when it ran in the past?

Yep

lhpdx

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:00 pm

This is great news for PDX!! If the flight is seasonal when does it end?

pdx

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:05 am

It's an E90 and AC shows it operating through 16OCT!

flyoregon

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:48 pm

PDX Spotters, there's an Aloha Air Cargo 737-300 at PDX parked at the Flightcraft hangar. Cool looking jet!

bigfoot0503

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 185):
According to this article, Toronto non stop is coming back (if seasonal)

Very logical re-addition for PDX. Clearly AC is paying attention to the international loads out of this area. This speaks volumes for the success that many of the new international carriers have had since adding PDX routes. By the numbers both Icelandair and Condor had excellent loads that seemed to sustain well past the traditional heavy summer travel period. With the tremendous international routes offered by AC at Toronto this is another excellent option for travelers to and from PDX.

While YYZ is only a seasonal offering for now...might we expect that eventually it will go year round as did YYC?

dc10lover

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:32 am

WS West Jet should have been in the Calgary - Portland market. They need to wake up.

HPRamper

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:24 am

Quoting DC10LOVER (Reply 194):

Westjet really seems to be largely ignoring the Northwest. I'm not really sure of the reason for this. I'd love more links to Canada. Calgary is one of my favorite cities anywhere.

910A

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:59 am

MFR is getting two charters tonight 11/21 right before 8pm. One is the Augustana College charter (Swift Air 734). Why the team couldn't fly into ACV is strange, since they were playing Humboldt State. The other is a Miami Air (738) coming in from DSM and returning to SLN. (I have no idea why it's coming to MFR). Both are scheduled to depart at 2100hrs.

mtnwest1979

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 196):
(I have no idea why it's coming to MFR). Both are scheduled to depart at 2100hrs.

Returning the Kansas Wesleyan football team that lost to Southern Oregon in Ashland in playoffs.

ANA787

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Other forums are stating previous nonstop International flights from their airports.

Eg:
Former International Cities Served From EWR? (by Lesfalls Nov 22 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Thought I'd make one for PDX:

-Fukuoka PDX-FUK (Delta)
-Nagoya PDX-NGO (Delta)
-Taipei PDX-TPE (Delta)
-Seoul PDX-SEL (Delta)
-Mexico City PDX-MEX (Mexicana)

Did I miss any?
Anyone care to make a list of previously served domestic destinations?

910A

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 197):
Returning the Kansas Wesleyan football team that lost to Southern Oregon in Ashland in playoffs.

Thanks for the information. That was my first thought, then I went to the NAIA page and it showed SOU playing Eastern Oregon..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos