Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

topbanana
Topic Author

1970s Air Illinois Question

Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Hello all!

I was hoping someone could explain or clarify something for me.

I was looking through an old OAG from the mid-1970s and noticed that two DIFFERENT airlines seemed to be operating with the name Air Illinois at the SAME time.

One with the carrier code "QX" which was designated as an "Intra-state air carrier" and appears to have operated Hawker Siddeley 748s between Carbondale, Centralia, Springfield and Meigs Field.

At the same time, a second carrier with the carrier code "UX" which was designated as a "Commuter Air Carrier" and appears to have operated DeHavilland Twin Otters to about 8 cities in Illinois, Missouri and Tennessee.

(I believe the second carrier, using the "UX" code was the carrier that would later be involved in a fatal accident in the early 80s.)

My question: Were there, in fact two different airlines operating similar routes at the same time under the name "Air Illinois" in the mid-70s?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Top Banana in the West. Yes.

OzarkD9S

RE: 1970s Air Illinois Question

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Well I got this from Wiki (make of it as you will):

Fair use excerpt.

"In December 1977, Air Illinois purchased the small Handley Page Jetstream fleet of South Central Air Transport (SCAT). SCAT was based in Natchez, Mississippi and was incorporated by Andrew Peabody in 1971 to replace Southern Airways' Martin 4-0-4 flights between Natchez, Jackson and New Orleans. By 1976 SCAT flew between New Orleans and Jackson, Mississippi, New Orleans and Gulfport-Biloxi as well as on a route from New Orleans to Birmingham, Alabama with stops in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, Panama City, Florida, Montgomery, Alabama, and Mobile, Alabama. SCAT flew three of the 18 passenger Handley Page HP.137 MK1 Jetstream and two of the Frakes Pratt & Whitney PT-6 modified HP.137's (N11DN and N7RJ). The airline tried to become a replacement carrier for Southern, but faced challenges trying to compete with Southern's DC-9s in the New Orleans market. They ended airline service during the summer of 1977."
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

topbanana
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks, OzarkD9S....

I read that safe information on Wiki.... it didn't really help me out, though. I appreciate you trying.

However, I think I have found my answer.

Searching around on the internet I came across a small piece in a magazine from 1974:

"Air Illinois (Illinois Airways) was formed in 1970 and is certified as an intra-state scheduled air carrier, with exemption to operate large aircraft within the state of Illinois. Current operations include passenger services from Carbondale to Springfield and Chicago Meigs Field. Current fleet: One HS 748, two Twin Otters."

Furthermore, the Air Illinois section of the Aeromoe fleets site shoes that the Air Illinois (UX) did receive one 748 in 1973....

So, it does appear that the Air Illinois (GX) and Air Illinois (UX) were one and the same.... However, for whatever reason it appears (after more scanning of the OAG) that the 748 flights of the carrier operated with the GX code and the Twin Otter flights operated with the UX code.

If anyone else has any other information, I would appreciate it!
Top Banana in the West. Yes.

OzarkD9S

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting topbanana (Reply 2):

I appreciate you trying.

No problem. The reason the two operations were separate may be that one was intrastate (Illinois government oversight) and the other was interstate (CAB oversight). Interesting they both operated under the same name though.

enilria

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting topbanana (Reply 2):
So, it does appear that the Air Illinois (GX) and Air Illinois (UX) were one and the same.... However, for whatever reason it appears (after more scanning of the OAG) that the 748 flights of the carrier operated with the GX code and the Twin Otter flights operated with the UX code.
Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):
No problem. The reason the two operations were separate may be that one was intrastate (Illinois government oversight) and the other was interstate (CAB oversight). Interesting they both operated under the same name though.

Two codes usually means two operating certificates, probably related to the larger aircraft allowed intrastate.

OzarkD9S

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 4):

Two codes usually means two operating certificates, probably related to the larger aircraft allowed intrastate.

Makes sense.

bjorn14

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:49 pm

IIRC, did not Air Illinois operate a YS-11?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

timz

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 pm

In 1983 UX flew a BAC 1-11 (ex-USAir) ORD-EVV and ORD-Springfield-STL.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am

Air Illinois route map from October 1982 timetable:

The cover artwork features a BAC 1-11.

ORD Boy 2

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:39 am

They were the largest carrier at CGX correct?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos