SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

WestJet To Asia?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:34 am

The airline said it could open Asian routes in the not-so-distant future although it admits it's focusing on its new transatlantic operations for the moment.

If they were to launch Asian routes, which one could be first, say out of YYC & YVR?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2223563/we...-carrier-sees-opportunity-it-says/

AWACSooner

RE: WestJet To Asia?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Tokyo and/or Seoul...maybe Beijing...but that'd be it. After that, you're really stretching the range.

bmacleod

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm

This would really be biting into AC's international market share. AC will do anything they can to limit WS expansion. They will allow Europe but that's it...
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

longhauler

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 1):
Tokyo and/or Seoul...maybe Beijing...but that'd be it.

Two of those destinations are very heavily slot controlled. AC has had applications for further access into China for about 5 years now ... Good luck to WS!

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 2):
This would really be biting into AC's international market share. AC will do anything they can to limit WS expansion.

Transat is a greater "threat" as they actually have an international widebody operation, and have for almost 30 years!

That Transat has not gone further than what they have, even though they have more than the capability is the answer. Asia is not the panacea that people think. Unless you can provide a premium cabin, and the support that goes with an ultra-high yield product, the yields are abysmal.

WS would be better off trying to get into LHR. Saretsky was at Canadian when the move was made from LGW to LHR and it was announced that across the board, yields doubled with that move. That is why I have always found it curious that when given the opportunity, TS stayed at LGW over LHR.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):
Saretsky was at Canadian when the move was made from LGW to LHR and it was announced that across the board, yields doubled with that move.

I guess that's why US airlines were so keen to have access to LHR either through PA & TW slots buyouts or rules change.

That is why I have always found it curious that when given the opportunity, TS stayed at LGW over LHR.

Did it had any impact on their fares the crowds fillings their aircraft had to pay?

Noise

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:55 pm

I can see WS serving Asian from YEG, in addition to YYC and/or YVR.

Noise

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Does the 767-300ER have the legs to make it to PVG from YYC/YVR?

longhauler

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 4):
Did it had any impact on their fares the crowds fillings their aircraft had to pay?

I am going to guess that is the answer. The demographics of the passengers on the UK routes did not change with the move to LHR, so the extra cost of a LHR operation was not covered. CP, at the time, had the advantage of feed from BA.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

diverted

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Transat is a greater "threat" as they actually have an international widebody operation, and have for almost 30 years!

That Transat has not gone further than what they have, even though they have more than the capability is the answer. Asia is not the panacea that people think. Unless you can provide a premium cabin, and the support that goes with an ultra-high yield product, the yields are abysmal.

People seem to forget that TS has had a rough few years. Sounds like things are getting turned around now, but they are really in no position to attempt an Asian expansion. They have good brand recognition in Europe already, and as demonstrated by their new routes, seem to be focused on expanding those rather than any sort of aggressive Asian expansion which would most likely result in a bloodbath initially.

I like TS, I've flown them a bunch. Their club class is exceptional value for money. Y is about part for the course on a leisure carrier TATL. They've realized where their strengths are and are building on it. What the next few years has in store will be very interesting, as they're now adding their own 738s for the Caribbean in winter. The future of the 310's will be interesting. They seem to work well for TS, with low capital costs, but their days have got to be numbered. The 330's appear to be a little bit overkill for a lot of the Caribbean network. Perhaps we see TS break from their mold and evaluate the 321LR for a portion of the TATL flying in summer, as they'd work amazingly well for some of the smaller destinations in Western Europe, as well as fitting perfectly into the southern winter routes. I know they've just spent the money setting up a 738 operation, but that decision was made before the 321LR was announced, and as we saw with the 757s, they're not afraid to ditch a fleet if they can find something that works better for them.

WS on the other hand, has different strengths. Namely a fairly large NA network, and good loyalty. Seems it's a national past time to bad mouth AC, while singing the praises of WS. If their YYT-DUB service is any indication, people will gladly book them. Heck, it seems everyone I know has a WS credit card these days. If they play their cards right, I can easily see them becoming a major competitor to AC TATL and even TPAC in time. Remember, they only started flying in 1996 and have steadily grown to become a major player. I see no reason this can't continue. Assuming this expansion is as succesful as they hope, I would not be surprised at all to see a bunch more 767s in the coming years, and eventually a 787 order.

drgmobile

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Transat and WestJet are very different airlines with completely different geographic centers of gravity and network dynamics. Transt has virtually no feed to its routes whereas WestJet is become more like a traditional hub carrier the longer time goes on.

WS would be better off trying to get into LHR. Saretsky was at Canadian when the move was made from LGW to LHR and it was announced that across the board, yields doubled with that move. That is why I have always found it curious that when given the opportunity, TS stayed at LGW over LHR.

Again, two very different carriers with different needs. Canadian Airlines was a traditional network carrier. Transat is O&D leisure. Canadian's passengers would travel onward while Transat's are destined for the UK.

hoons90

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Tokyo and/or Seoul...maybe Beijing...but that'd be it. After that, you're really stretching the range.

I don't think AC does particularly well in Seoul, so I would think that WestJet would look at other destinations first.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

diverted

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 10):
don't think AC does particularly well in Seoul, so I would think that WestJet would look at other destinations first.

They do codeshare with KE though..that could provide a fair bit of feed.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Thread starter):
If they were to launch Asian routes, which one could be first, say out of YYC & YVR?

Most likely YVR.

Quoting Noise (Reply 6):

YYC-PVG is pushing it for a WS 763, even with the winglets. These are 21-24 year old frames, with older generation engines, and most likely a lower MTOW than the maximum we usually see on more recent B763s. Add in the fact that they have 262 seats, and it's pretty much as AWACSonner said...at least from YYC...

Tokyo and/or Seoul...maybe Beijing...but that'd be it.

I dont think we will be seeing WS in Asia anytime soon, especially since airports like NRT, HND and PEK are slot controlled and at or near capacity (NRT less so), so getting adequate times will be difficult.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

thekorean

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 12):

Indeed but they actually can feed passengers to KE at ICN, offering tons of Asian destinations perhaps even AC can't match.

rampbro

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 2):
They will allow Europe but that's it...

I wasn't aware that AC had final say over WS's routes.....

Quoting thekorean (Reply 13):
Indeed but they actually can feed passengers to KE at ICN

...or DL at NRT....

Unless you can provide a premium cabin, and the support that goes with an ultra-high yield product, the yields are abysmal.

Is this still a true statement given the bottoming-out of the Chinese economy over the past few months? I wager there is an opportunity for carriers focussed on more frugal pax to make inroads, as I'm certain that biz models relying on premium flying are starting to dry up.

Quoting diverted (Reply 8):
eventually a 787 order

....aka the perfect plane to run YVR and YYC to major Asian destinations, leveraging onward connection using existing partnerships

longhauler

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting rampbro (Reply 14):
Is this still a true statement given the bottoming-out of the Chinese economy over the past few months? I wager there is an opportunity for carriers focussed on more frugal pax to make inroads, as I'm certain that biz models relying on premium flying are starting to dry up.

90% load factors in J might indicate otherwise. But it would be years before any Westjet aircraft would touch China if they made the decision today to start service, so who knows where China's economy might be!

Checking today's fares ... OW YYZ-PEK, Y is $724, unrestricted J is $7292 ... what do you think WS would be charging, and where do you think the profit is?

We won't even talk about cargo, as I see that all of AC's China flights out of YYZ are load restricted to carry HUGE amounts of freight.

longhauler

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Indeed but they actually can feed passengers to KE at ICN, offering tons of Asian destinations perhaps even AC can't match.

As can AC at ICN. But ... are Asian connections at ICN better than NRT, HND, HKG, PVG, PEK, etc?

yyz717

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Two of those destinations are very heavily slot controlled. AC has had applications for further access into China for about 5 years now ... Good luck to WS!

WS might do well in secondary Asiian cities, such YVR nonstops to (say) Fukuoka, Nagoya, Sapporo, and Busan, ROK.

2-3 weekly seasonal flights in each market might be a goldmine, albeit with lower yields.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting Noise (Reply 6):

Not sure about that, but it doesn't mean they'll use that type to launch transpac if they decide to.

Quoting diverted (Reply 8):
The future of the 310's will be interesting. They seem to work well for TS, with low capital costs, but their days have got to be numbered.

I remember seeing a powerpoint early last year or the year before about their fleet plans and from what I can remember, they were planned for gradual retirement not too far in the future. Now, what will replace them, it's a mystery.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:23 pm

That is why I have always found it curious that when given the opportunity, TS stayed at LGW over LHR.

Can't compare a full-service network carrier with a primarily leisure/VFR point-to-point carrier with the TS type of service, high-density seating etc. I highly doubt most TS passengers would be willing to pay more to fly to LHR than to LGW since their product doesn't compare with the LHR network carriers.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 16):

As can AC at ICN. But ... are Asian connections at ICN better than NRT, HND, HKG, PVG, PEK, etc?

ICN has service to at least 38 cities in China, almost twice as many as from NRT (about 16) and HND (only 4) combined. And to many points in China, especially in the north and east, it's much shorter connecting at ICN than at points further south like HKG/PVG/PEK where you're flying far out of your way.

superjeff

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:02 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 16):

For AC at least as good. Don't forget that ICN is a * Alliance Hub with Asiana, which should offer at least as many options as ANA at Narita.

thekorean

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:10 am

Quoting superjeff (Reply 20):

For Star it's not better than NRT but you better believe got ST ICN is a better option.

Chinese and SE Asia flights offered by KE is huge.

LAXintl

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:14 am

Bit old news.

Back during winter CEO said basically anything within 11-hours of Canada was in play and they "have seriously considered deploying them elsewhere, perhaps to Asia. Why not Shanghai or Beijing? he asks."

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...et-airlines-looks-expand-long-haul

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AirbusA322

Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:51 am

Sydney? Good traffic there. Great 787 route

They already have a agreement with Virgin

zkncj

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:32 am

Quoting AirbusA322 (Reply 23):

Sydney? Good traffic there. Great 787 route

They already have a agreement with Virgin

Would be interesting to see how some of Virgin shareholders, mainly NZ would re-act to that one?

YLWbased

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am

I cannot name my source, but I know that WS hired a permanent staff in one of the major city in greater China since last year.

If you don't trust me, simply ignore my reply.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

longhauler

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 25):
I cannot name my source, but I know that WS hired a permanent staff in one of the major city in greater China since last year.

That is common for most major (and some not so major) airlines to have sales staff overseas in places they do not fly.

But ... I for one hope WS gains access to China, TS too ... and good luck with that. AC tried to get further access into China for more YVR and YYZ flights. Also to start flying from YYC and YUL. But further access was denied. The only way YUL could be offered was to code-share with a Chinese carrier.

More and more mainland Chinese carriers are jumping into the Canadian market using their (apparently unrestricted) slots from their home land. Currently, Canada has no slot restricted airports so full access is offered.

If WS or TS thinks they can get into China quicker ... more power to them.

cylw

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Maybe when Beijing Daxing opens (2018) this would open up some slots for Canadian carriers.

yyz717

Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 19):
Can't compare a full-service network carrier with a primarily leisure/VFR point-to-point carrier with the TS type of service, high-density seating etc.

Sure you can! The paying customer often sees no differences and can easily book on one or the other based on price and schedule, esp. when so much of the network carrier traffic is also point-to-point TA (yes, I know alot is not O/D, also).
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

YLWbased

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 26):
That is common for most major (and some not so major) airlines to have sales staff overseas in places they do not fly.

This person they hired is not for sales purpose, he used to work for a Middle Eastern Airlines prior to their launch into HKG, this person did all the preparation job.

I'd say he is a type of expert that airlines hire prior to launching a new market.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

longhauler

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 29):

I'd say he is a type of expert that airlines hire prior to launching a new market.

Good for him. Unless he has an inside edge on slots, Westjet ain't flyin' anywhere near China for quite some time!

Viscount724

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 28):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 19):
Can't compare a full-service network carrier with a primarily leisure/VFR point-to-point carrier with the TS type of service, high-density seating etc.

Sure you can! The paying customer often sees no differences and can easily book on one or the other based on price and schedule, esp. when so much of the network carrier traffic is also point-to-point TA (yes, I know alot is not O/D, also).

The discussion was related to TS moving from LGW to LHR. My intended point was that a leisure/VFR carrier like TS with very little business traffic can't justify the costs of serving a very high-cost airport like LHR. You need a significant volume of premium traffic even if only to cover the cost of obtaining the very limited slots. I recall CO paid around $200 million for 4 pairs of slots in order to move their 4 daily LGW flights to LHR after the US-EU Open Skies Agreement permitted unrestricted access by US carriers at LHR for the first time.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Apparently North Africa is also part of their plan "IF UK routes prove successful." After Rouge, that means AT could get a more difficult ride on its monopoly with Morocco, not to forget AH to ALG.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ica-if-u-k-routes-prove-successful

wjv04

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 32):

Apparently North Africa is also part of their plan "IF UK routes prove successful." After Rouge, that means AT could get a more difficult ride on its monopoly with Morocco, not to forget AH to ALG.

In that article it also states that they are currently in the market for more 767s as well. Anyone have any ideas where these 767s could possibly come from?

longhauler

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Air Canada has stated that they too are actively looking for B767-300ERs to add to both Rouge and Mainline.

Didn't one of Westjet's B767s fall of the jacks in a hangar delaying introduction?

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting wjv04 (Reply 33):
In that article it also states that they are currently in the market for more 767s as well.

Indeed.

"It has has leased four 767-300 ER from Boeing Capital to launch routes from Gatwick [...]. The airline plans to buy the jets and is “in the market for more 767s,” Saretsky said. "

Are these additional aircraft going to be options if the LGW flights are successful or does WS plans to open more routes to the UK anyway?

Quoting wjv04 (Reply 33):
Anyone have any ideas where these 767s could possibly come from?

Are there any previous QF frames still sunbathing at VCV?

Quoting longhauler (Reply 34):
Didn't one of Westjet's B767s fall of the jacks in a hangar delaying introduction?

Don't know that and am not sure it would easily be made public on a forum.

Whiteguy

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Air Canada has stated that they too are actively looking for B767-300ERs to add to both Rouge and Mainline.

Never gonna grow up, never gonna slow down .... Barefoot Blue Jean Night

That was a rumor floating around, didn't happen though....

wjv04

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 pm

The delay with introduction into service would imply that something of the sort happened at the MRO provider. However that just a rumor that floated around externally for a while. I wont speak publically to the actual causes of the delays but I will at least confirm that it never fell of the jacks.

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 35):

I believe that QF has around 8 other 767s stored, but not sure if they are at VCV or if they are serviceable to another carrier such as WS.

WS and DL signed a 767 MRO deal. Although doubtful its an indication of WS possibly getting aircraft from DL.

http://www.mro-network.com/news/2015...ps-signs-westjet-767-mro-deal/5923

[Edited 2015-09-29 09:42:50]

Whiteguy

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:42 pm

"It has has leased four 767-300 ER from Boeing Capital to launch routes from Gatwick [...]. The airline plans to buy the jets and is “in the market for more 767s,” Saretsky said. "

Are these additional aircraft going to be options if the LGW flights are successful or does WS plans to open more routes to the UK anyway?

The aircraft were initially leased but have already been purchased....

I think some are still there but they may have already been taken by other carriers.

LAX772LR

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 17):
WS might do well in secondary Asiian cities, such YVR nonstops to (say) Fukuoka, Nagoya, Sapporo, and Busan, ROK.

When major carriers, with decades of market presence, who are in immunized j/vs, choose to avoid intercon service from those markets....

....that should probably tell you something. Heck, those places don't even have service to LAX or SFO.

It'd be an almost guaranteed recipe for failure by WS.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TWA772LR

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:24 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 39):

But they all (except PUS) have service to HNL, and Nagoya even has DTW. Winter seasonal to YVR for the ski season could actually work.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:35 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 40):
But they all (except PUS) have service to HNL

Which is basically Tokyo Lite...

and Nagoya even has DTW

...which is heavily fortified by, if not solely dependent on, automotive industry travel contracts.
None of which WS would get.

Winter seasonal to YVR for the ski season could actually work.

Which pax from such destinations are more than happy to connect for.
Seasonal ski traffic does not generate yields sufficient to drive 5000mi transpacs.

yyz717

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 39):
When major carriers, with decades of market presence, who are in immunized j/vs, choose to avoid intercon service from those markets....

Due in no small part to their high unit costs, which WS does not have.

YXXMIKE

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 42):

They may not be high cost but they certainly aren't low cost anymore.

In general WS shouldn't be referred to as an LCC anymore by anyone especially by the media as basic research shows that they are about the same price as AC on many of their core domestic trunk routes.

Given the lack of proper premium cabin I would expect that WS would be looking at more leisure market opportunities in Asia. They just won't be able to compete.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 43):
In general WS shouldn't be referred to as an LCC anymore by anyone especially by the media as basic research shows that they are about the same price as AC on many of their core domestic trunk routes.

You are pointing to the usual mistake that people or media do. WS is a Low Costs Carrier (LCC), not a Low Fares Carrier.

Whiteguy

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 43):

They may not be high cost but they certainly aren't low cost anymore.

Given the lack of proper premium cabin I would expect that WS would be looking at more leisure market opportunities in Asia. They just won't be able to compete.

What is the same price as AC? The fares.....

LCC refers to the lower operating costs not low fares.....and yes, while cost have gone up, they are still a low cost carrier. I think the expectation of lower fares in this country is unrealistic, the prices of both carriers are the same because of the competition between the two. But hey we could always have a Jetsgo type operation come in and fail again, while almost taking other carriers with it.....

Fares are low enough, if not to low, its the taxes you should be more worried about!

LAX772LR

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm

...but also taking into account their massive corporate contracts and ability to garner up to 5-figure premium fares; neither of which WS has either.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Quoting Whiteguy (Reply 45):
But hey we could always have a Jetsgo type operation come in and fail again, while almost taking other carriers with it.....

There are three new LCC airlines that are hopeful to get off the ground. The Jetsgo type might happen again soon.

Whiteguy

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 47):

Quoting Whiteguy (Reply 45):
But hey we could always have a Jetsgo type operation come in and fail again, while almost taking other carriers with it.....

There are three new LCC airlines that are hopeful to get off the ground. The Jetsgo type might happen again soon.

Hope not....

Actually haven't heard much about Jetlines or Jetnaked lately, I think the only one that may fly is Newleaf...

We'll see...

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Quoting Whiteguy (Reply 48):
Hope not....

I know, but with all the upstarts over the years, it's no longer a real surprise to see another airline go bust.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos