Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mjzair
Topic Author

Boulders At Maho Beach

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Just landed at SXM and was expecting to see people waving on the beach but instead saw boulders for about 300ft either side of runway centerline.. When did that happen? Does anyone know if that portoon of beach is no longer accessible?

woody1974

RE: Boulders At Maho Beach

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:33 pm

The beach has eroded quite a bit over time. I was there in 2011, and again in 2014 and the beach had gotten smaller. There is still a small beach there and the bars of course. Still a much visit for any aviation geek!

CARST

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 pm

From what I gathered and what the the photos in the a.net database confirm, these boulders are ALWAYS there, but they are not always visible:

That beach is not a natural beach, but normally is a stoney coastline. The sand gets transported to Maho Beach about once a year and covers the boulders for a few months until the water has transported it all away again from the beach. Then the authorities at one point transport new sand to the beach...

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

CARST

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting woody1974 (Reply 1):
The beach has eroded quite a bit over time. I was there in 2011, and again in 2014 and the beach had gotten smaller. There is still a small beach there and the bars of course. Still a much visit for any aviation geek!

I was there in June 2014, the beach had just been "remodeled" with new sand. Not a single boulder was visible while I was there. I guess I got lucky...

N757ST

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I could be very wrong, but I believe it's natural. Spring time and early summer there's a beach, fall time not so much. I thought it had to do with the winds. I used to go to SXM ~3 times a month and that's what I remember.

CARST

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 4):
I could be very wrong, but I believe it's natural. Spring time and early summer there's a beach, fall time not so much. I thought it had to do with the winds. I used to go to SXM ~3 times a month and that's what I remember.

That is interesting. What I wrote above was an explanation given to me by a local on the island, but that doesn't mean it's true.

I just though that the authorities might only transport sand to the beach for the main tourist seasons from late winter to late summer. They might not care about autumn and the storm season in the Carribean. Just speculating...

kl838

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:02 pm

It has to do with the Hurricane season, its all natural. The beach is there normally November to May, when its not hurricane season. The heavy waves and destructive waves from the storms usually clear the beach and expose the boulders. Sometimes the beach is built so much by the waves that it overflows into the road. It is all natural and the authorities don't do anything about it except keeping the road clear.

jetwet1

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Quoting kl838 (Reply 6):
It has to do with the Hurricane season, its all natural. The beach is there normally November to May, when its not hurricane season. The heavy waves and destructive waves from the storms usually clear the beach and expose the boulders. Sometimes the beach is built so much by the waves that it overflows into the road. It is all natural and the authorities don't do anything about it except keeping the road clear.

This is correct, it's all part of the natural erosion/deposit of sand in the bay.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos