IBA346
Topic Author

Vueling To Announce Third Hub In CDG Today

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 am

According to this article in the Spanish press, Vueling will announce today in Paris a third connecting hub in CDG.

http://www.expansion.com/empresas/tr...9/21/56006124ca47412e1d8b45da.html

Congrats to Vueling if this turns out to be for real. Interestingly Alex Crux recently ruled out a new connecting hub in the short term at a quarterly results presentation.

That will be six European hubs for IAG! (LHR, MAD, DUB, BCN, FCO and CDG!)

[Edited 2015-09-21 23:57:58]

jrfspa320

RE: Vueling To Announce Third Hub In CDG Today

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 am

There is a difference between a "Hub" and a "base".

IAG "hubs" are limited to LHR, MAD, DUB, (potentially LGW)

I not sure vueling has any hubs as an LCC its mostly O&D traffic.

[Edited 2015-09-22 00:00:18]

SCQ83

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:05 am

And will they keep using that horrible T3? Still better than Ryanair at BVA  
Quoting jrfspa320 (Reply 1):

Actually VY has more bases in Europe; AMS, BRU and (I think) TLS are VY bases too. In any case, this is a "return" to Paris; they opened their first? international base in Paris in 2006 or 2007 which was later closed.

Andy33

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:20 am

VY do sell connecting flights across Barcelona and Rome. Whether that makes these airports hubs for Vueling depends on your definition of a hub. Most European LCCs are point-to-point only with no connections at all. Norwegian is the other major exception to this rule.

IBA346
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:23 am

Vueling offers connections at Rome and Barcelona ( single ticket, no need to re check-in luggage). In addition it has 13 other bases in Europe where aircraft and crew are based, but no significant connections.

BA at LGW does offer connecting traffic, although its main focus is O & D. So it could be included as a 7th IAG hub I guess

Andy33

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting IBA346 (Reply 4):
BA at LGW does offer connecting traffic, although its main focus is O & D. So it could be included as a 7th IAG hub I guess

And so does LCY.

Alsatian

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 2):
and (I think) TLS

VY base at TLS did not last long, only a few months.

IBA346
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 am

BA LCY connecting passengers have to take their luggage and check-in again. Whether that makes it a hub or not again depends on your definition.

Anyways the point here is Vueling's and IAG 's pan-European footprint which, although it focuses mostly on Western Europe, is becoming quite impressive.

factsonly

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:19 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 2):
Actually VY has more bases in Europe; AMS, BRU and (I think) TLS are VY bases too.
Quoting IBA346 (Reply 4):
In addition it has 13 other bases in Europe where aircraft and crew are based, but no significant connections.

VY overnights aircraft in AMS and BRU, there are no crews based in these cities.

The more traditional airlines would call that an overnight, not a base!

AIR MALTA

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:20 am

Quoting IBA346 (Thread starter):
According to this article in the Spanish press, Vueling will announce today in Paris a third connecting hub in CDG.

One of the routes being talked about is CDG-VIE which is in direct competition with HG.

Good move from IAG but it would be great to see them open a UK regional base.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

B8887

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:02 am

I've always had a certain admiration for VY. Half full-fare, half LCC, good service, pleasant crews.

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 3):
VY do sell connecting flights across Barcelona and Rome.

I thought they offered connections across the board.

Regards.

B8887

Andy33

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting B8887 (Reply 10):
I thought they offered connections across the board.

Yes they do, between their own flights and also to/from BA/IB and possibly others. It's just that apart from BCN and FCO (now plus CDG) these possible connecting points couldn't be described as VY hubs by any common definition. Most people would say they are the far end of VY spokes.

LHRFlyer

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 am

avi8

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:10 pm

It sounds more like a base than a hub. Either way it's great news!
avi8

TYCOON

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I for one will not fly Vueling ever again. In my view, the worst of the low-cost carriers. The worst customer service out there...you just need to go on any airline rating website or VY's Facebook page to read the litany of complaints.
They lost my suitcase on a ORY-IBZ direct flight on 8 August... still no news. I paid €100 to check the luggage (€50 outbound/€50 inbound - and of course I didn't have the suitcase to check in on the return flight). I've filed a complaint and still no news...
Coupled with horrible service on both IB and BA, IAG is no longer an option for me... I refuse to fly any airline in that Group... and I am an Executive Club Gold cardholder!
Vueling's reputation in France (and the Netherlands) is beginning to turn very bad....

SCQ83

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Now it is weird... half of the routes in ORY and half in CDG.

The advantage of ORY is that Vueling can connect to Openskies to EWR and JFK; so actually IAG can fly connecting passengers via Paris of all places  

avi8

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:04 pm

A translation from the article: I apologize for any any grammar and spelling mistakes

Paris , September 22, 2015 - Vueling announced this morning at a press conference at Roissy- CDG airport , together with ADP - Aéroports de Paris - the opening in May, its new base Roissy -CDG . The Spanish low cost airline will operate two 180-seat Airbus A320 stationed permanently at the airport. This database will allow Vueling, next summer , to establish new routes , offer new destinations from the largest French airport but also increase the frequency of flights on the most popular routes. Vueling reinforces its presence from Paris and continues to grow in France.

Vueling offer from Roissy -CDG 8 new routes that will connect the cities of Copenhagen, Prague, Venice, Vienna, Naples, Bari , Fuerteventura and Tangier (the latter three cities served today via Orly airport will now be operated via Roissy- CDG airport). These new routes are in addition to 5 existing routes such as Barcelona, ​​Madrid , Oviedo, Saint -Jacques de Compostela and Seville. With a total of 13 routes from Paris-CDG Vueling is now the second low cost airline to Paris and the third customer ADP - Aéroports de Paris .

In order to cope with its growth, Vueling plans to recruit between 200 and 400 aircrew personnel who will work for different bases Vueling in Europe.

Through the creation of these new jobs , Vueling will participate in its scale economic development of the region. David Blancas Garcia , Executive Vice President Commercial at Vueling comments: " Our level of commitment was confirmed in France with the opening of this new base and the new routes as well as the creation of jobs at Roissy Charles de Gaulle. We want to strengthen our presence in a market as important as Paris , offering a quality product including all the services offered by airlines , and that at increasingly competitive prices . "

Franck Goldnadel , DGA , Director in Charge of Operations and Director of Airport Paris -Charles de Gaulle Airport commented: " A company like Vueling decides to create a database on the Paris -Charles de Gaulle Airport is always good news and a trusted brand . Our passengers will thus have a wider choice of destinations from Paris -Charles de Gaulle. This further strengthens the attractiveness and competitiveness of the airport already connected 319 cities via 139 airlines"
avi8

Andy33

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 15):
Now it is weird... half of the routes in ORY and half in CDG.

BA manage to fly from LHR to both ORY and CDG, and also to JFK/EWR, and IAD/BWI. Is it so surprising that if a city has two major airports some distance apart both could be served?

mozart

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 17):
BA manage to fly from LHR to both ORY and CDG, and also to JFK/EWR, and IAD/BWI. Is it so surprising that if a city has two major airports some distance apart both could be served?

The ORY / CDG split has a different aspect again: historically, IB flew from ORY to nzumerous places in Spain, not just Madrid and Barcelona but also Seville, Malaga, Alicante, etc. The non-MAD IB flights were later transferred to Vueling, so that's how Vueling came to ORY. Some of the ORY-Spain routes were not inherited from IB but opened "independently" by Vueling.

But then it seems to me that Vueling in the past not only had a base in CDG, but also something going in ORY. There used to be ORY-ZRH flights. And these were not from/to a ZRH base, that is for sure.

superjeff

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 12):
Here is the announcement (in French):

The article says it is a base - 2 airplanes. Definitely not a hub.

IBA346
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Yup. Certainly a base not a hub. Can the title of the thread be changed? "Vueling to open hub in CDG"

Let's hope Vueling develop this into a hub one day, although they would have to significantly increase their presence in UK and northern Europe to make the connections make sense.

I am very impressed with the Vueling story. I know they have had operational challenges this summer. But competing head on with Ryanair and Easyjet on many routes they have grown rapidly, been very profitable, and created a market for two short haul hubs in Europe, both in close proximity to other established legacy hubs.

rukundo

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:32 pm

They relaunch their CDG Base  . In 2007, they had several aircraft based at CDG, at the T1, then at the T3. I remember, i have flown with them, from CDG to Milan.

http://www.anna.aero/2007/09/28/vuel...elops-first-foreign-base-in-paris/

But EasyJet was too strong.

anjin

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:47 pm

You wouldn't want to open a base at CDG. Or if you did you'd need to factor French social rules / charges and I'm sure Willy Walsh wouldn't want any strikes.....

IBA346
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:27 am

Looks like Vueling will be recruiting locally for the CDG base:

http://www.air-journal.fr/2015-09-23...une-base-8-nouveautes-5150725.html

Best of luck dealing with Willy Walsh...

Andy33

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting anjin (Reply 22):
You wouldn't want to open a base at CDG. Or if you did you'd need to factor French social rules / charges and I'm sure Willy Walsh wouldn't want any strikes.....
Quoting IBA346 (Reply 23):
Looks like Vueling will be recruiting locally for the CDG base:

http://www.air-journal.fr/2015-09-23...une-base-8-nouveautes-5150725.html

Best of luck dealing with Willy Walsh...

But IAG already have a Paris-based operation with locally hired staff - BA OpenSkies.
So they certainly understand the French social rules/charges . I haven't noticed any strikes at OpenSkies either....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos