TK787
Topic Author

BA Flight London-NYC With No Catering?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Hello there,
This past week one of my friends, who flies a lot, said he was on a BA 747 from London to NYC and the flight got delayed, they changed terminals and finally the captain says; " We have no catering on board but I decide to go ahead and leave".
So, my friend was happy flying Business on BA with no food for 7 hours, just happy to get home in the middle of the night.
Thoughts??

CPDC10-30

RE: BA Flight London-NYC With No Catering?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:07 pm

You haven't provided any details about the flight number, or even the destination airport, as BA flies to both JFK and EWR. They also fly from LCY but a terminal change would not apply there. What was the flight number and the date? We need more details.

BA will certainly compensate for this, not just for those in premium cabins. If they didn't already do this proactively, your friend should contact customer services via ba.com and will likely receive a slug of avios and/or cash compensation.

Are you sure they actually changed terminals, or just changed between concourses at T5? I'd be surprised about changing to T3.

32andBelow

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 1):
They also fly from LCY but a terminal change would not apply there.

Oh it was the terminal change that gave it away? Not the fact that it was a freaking 747?

Johnwaynebobbet

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Sounds like a totally strange set of circumstances. I trust they were bused from T5 to the other terminal or the remote stand? I would have thought the duty of care would have kicked in and catering would be needed on a flight to JFK.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Sorry guys, I don't have a lot of details but I think he arrived Thursday NYC time 4am or so. I bet it is LHR-JFK. He could care less about compensation. Actually he didn't even care if they had catering. He is one of those businessmen that flies to SYD for a few hours to a meeting from JFK.
To all other people at the dinner table it sounded horrible not to have catering, but for him it is just another trip.... to get some rest on the plane all he cares  

bgm

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 4):
Not the fact that it was a freaking 747?

What's so freaky about a 747?
OK boomer.

jporterfi

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 7):

Nothing freaky about it - he was simply using it to prove that the flight did not depart from LCY
PPC (ASEL) | Aircraft Flown: PA28, C172, DA20

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting pek777 (Reply 2):
Yes, we need more information. What was he wearing? What seat number? How much was his electricity bill last month? Social security number? Children's names, school, and list of fears? What was the relative humidity at the destination at time of the incident. Thoughts, it is a shame but perhaps the recollection was biased. Also, reply 1 guy has excellent attention to detail

Why is it that your comments are very often snarky and non-contributing to the discussion?
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

PEK777

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:05 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 9):
Why is it that your comments are very often snarky and non-contributing to the discussion?

Excuse me, I did respond to the question. I provided my thoughts. In fact, Reply 1 should be deleted because it was off topic. OP requested 'thoughts' and Reply 1 decided to use it as an opportunity to invade the personal privacy of the OP. He did not provide any thoughts on the situation at all, whereas I did.

britannia25

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:10 am

Sounds a bit strange to me. Aircraft are usually being catered as the passengers are boarding (ior before). However, we can assume it was a lengthy delay. If your friend landed at 4am in NYC that would mean a departure from Heathrow at around 01.00-01.30 local time in London. It is highly feasible that there could havd been catering issues at this hour. It sounds like one aircraft possibly went tech and this one was drafted in at the last minute. Again, the last flight to New York leaves around 8 or 9 pm so again this seems odd and I don't know how many spare 747s sit around LHR at night (if any).

As for the terminal chamge, this would be very strange. It is likely it would be a gate change from within T5 A to B, B to C etc, which may involve a train ride so could feel like a terminal change. Possibly a coaching gate but given the hour, I would imagine a gate would be available in T5 - especially the B or C gates.

However, anything can happen in aviation, just a good job your friend wasn't hungry.

Regards
BY  

BestWestern

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 am

For a 4am arrival - the flight would have departed well after Heathrow had closed for the evening - close to 2am considering no delays at that time of the 'morning' on departure or arrival.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

threeifbyair

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 am

Maybe this flight (arrived JFK around 1am)?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...1/history/20150917/1800Z/EGLL/KJFK

I'm not seeing anything that arrived at 4am at JFK.

skipness1E

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:25 am

Heathrow doesn't close,it's open 24/7.
No flights are scheduled to depart over night but delayed ops are commonplace.

Wingtips56

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:04 am

I think the real story is the flight left without catering. But it left. It's not the first time a choice had to be made on whether you wait for catering and end up taking a big delay, or even risking cancellation because the crew goes illegal, or do you go and try to keep to schedule. Which is more important?

Details in the discussion are appropriate in the effort to determine the nature of the catering issue, but not on the route, schedule etc.

As to no catering, it could be an aircraft swap to an available but empty airplane in order to avoid a cancel or delay. I think many of us would probably vote to take off and make connections (or just get home), than be delayed. I have been a gate agent when we actually had that situation.

The funny things is people complain and complain about airplane food, and then complain and complain about not getting it.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

BestWestern

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 14):
No flights are scheduled to depart over night but delayed ops are commonplace.

How many 2am departures does Heathrow see a year?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 13):
Maybe this flight (arrived JFK around 1am)?

Thanks, yes that could be.
Maybe by the time he arrived home, it was 3-4am.

CPDC10-30

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:45 am

Quoting pek777 (Reply 2):
Yes, we need more information.

What the OP described was very unusual - I fly out of T5 on BA about 30x per year, and I've never experienced a terminal change, either on any of my flights or others departing. It's certainly possible though, and providing the flight details would allow those of us interested to find out what happened.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 4):
Oh it was the terminal change that gave it away? Not the fact that it was a freaking 747?

I missed that, my bad. Maybe I don't have quite the attention to detail as advertised.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 6):
He could care less about compensation.

Weird. If he was flying F I could kinda understand, but generally those in J will be all over compensation  

N415XJ

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:51 am

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 10):
OP requested 'thoughts' and Reply 1 decided to use it as an opportunity to invade the personal privacy of the OP

Because asking the flight number and destination airport regarding an abnormal flight that some nameless guy was on would be invading his privacy??  

iahcsr

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:36 am

Not having the weight of catering would affect the aircraft's weight and balance calculations....not by much, but the Load Planner (or whatever BA calls them) needs to adjust the numbers to compensate.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

32andBelow

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 am

Quoting iahcsr (Reply 20):

Not having the weight of catering would affect the aircraft's weight and balance calculations....not by much, but the Load Planner (or whatever BA calls them) needs to adjust the numbers to compensate.

This would take like no time.

iahcsr

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:57 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 19):

This would take like no time.

True.. If the crew remembered to inform the LP.   
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

32andBelow

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:13 am

True.. If the crew remembered to inform the LP.   

Wouldn't make a meaningful difference.

hz747300

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 am

Would love to confirm if true. Given some of the stuff that makes the news which is aviation related, I'm surprised this has not shown up on Twitter or some other outlet.

Are there regulations on feeding passengers? You would think BA staff in NY could have at least greeted passengers on arrival with Bagels and Cream Cheese, and some coffee or Dr. Pepper for any Mormons.

I'm very curious.
Keep on truckin'...

by738

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):

Suppose it depends on definition of 'ops' as there will be activity around delayed inbounds but
Physical departures and arrivals after 2am would not be described as common place

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 am

From experience you can usually find something to eat down the side of one of them seats.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

skipness1E

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:07 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 14):
How many 2am departures does Heathrow see a year?

There's been a handful of post midnight departures over the summer, I usually FR24 them out of curiosity if I am in bed. Late departing BA heavies mainly from memory.

lapper

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:29 am

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 16):
What the OP described was very unusual - I fly out of T5 on BA about 30x per year, and I've never experienced a terminal change, either on any of my flights or others departing. It's certainly possible though, and providing the flight details would allow those of us interested to find out what happened.

The terminal change could quite likely be the arrival terminal, CBP closes at 11pm at JFK T7 I believe, so any arrivals after that time have to be processed at a different terminal. There are currently (not until 14 October) no BA 747 operations from T3 at LHR.

OA260

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 24):
From experience you can usually find something to eat down the side of one of them seats.

You have been reading the DM again  

jumpjets

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:36 am

Quoting Wingtips56 (Reply 13):

I think the real story is the flight left without catering. But it left. It's not the first time a choice had to be made on whether you wait for catering and end up taking a big delay, or even risking cancellation because the crew goes illegal, or do you go and try to keep to schedule. Which is more important?

This happened to me albeit on a BA domestic flight from GLA-LHR flight when a late substitution on the LHR-GLA leg meant that there was no catering on the flight [which should have been catered for both legs of the journey at LHR].

However about 30 mins before departure everyone was issued with vouchers to get a drink and a sandwich from the food vendors within the departure area so we didn't starve on our not so long journey to LHR. I am surprised that something similar didn't happen in this instance - especially as passengers were going to be couped up for 7-8hrs without refreshment which could be pretty uncomfortable.

bastew

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:47 am

If this happens it sounds like a last minute aircraft change.

Just a theory but it could have been a rolling delay on the original operating aircraft of a few hours while they attempt to fix the issue - realise that it cannot be fixed and decide to change aircraft - by at which time the flight crew hours would start being quite restricted (LHR-JFK is a two man tech crew).

In terms of the terminal change is this LHR or on ARRIVING at JFK? I only ask because there are no immigration facilities open at JFK T7 at 4AM and in the past during IRROPS inbound BA JFK passengers have been processed via another arrival terminal.

jrowson

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:01 am

BA operate 747 services from both T5 and T3 at LHR so it's very possible that the spare aircraft was at one of the other terminals.

As for catering, from experience as I work in the industry, it can take a very long time to get catering switched around from aircraft to aircraft which can significantly delay the proceedings longer. Sometimes catering teams are not available as they might be loading aircraft elsewhere and I'd imagine it'd take a fair while to de-cater, transport and re-cater a 747. The flight crew would have been in contact with the operations department whilst making the decision so everything would have been taken into account in making the decision not to go with catering. If it was a night flight then most passengers would probably be asleep anyway.
James Rowson

Andy33

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 am

Quoting JRowson (Reply 30):
BA operate 747 services from both T5 and T3 at LHR

Not at the moment they don't, but they will fly 747s from T3 again from 14th October.

bastew

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:29 am

Quoting JRowson (Reply 30):
BA operate 747 services from both T5 and T3 at LHR so it's very possible that the spare aircraft was at one of the other terminals.

Our 747's are only at T5. Maybe the OP meant his friend had to switch from the T5B to T5C gates? Or as I mentioned earlier in the thread arrived at a different terminal.

lukeyboy95

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 am

Quoting TK787 (Thread starter):
This past week one of my friends, who flies a lot, said he was on a BA 747 from London to NYC and the flight got delayed, they changed terminals and finally the captain says; " We have no catering on board but I decide to go ahead and leave".

Since this is getting batted around like a shuttlecock, would you do us all a favour and give your friend a quick phone or Facetime; ask him for the flight number, departure date and whether BA have been back in contact regarding compensating passengers for the inconvenience.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

b747400erf

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:03 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 7):

Very often? I would say always, he comes here from under a bridge when 4chan is boring him. He makes it obvious by putting a popcorn gif in his profile page. Some of us get smacked by the mods for voicing our opinions while he gets to run around stirring up flamebait and never adds to any discussion.

[Edited 2015-09-23 04:06:42]

BA0197

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:08 pm

I find this nearly impossible to belive. Firstly, as stated above, BA only operate out of T5 to JFK- there are no exceptions. He may have been bussed to a remote stand (rare for JFK flights, but it does happen) or indeed, and very possible as there is only one gate at T5A that takes 744s, he had to make his way to T5B or T5C.

The thing I have a particularly hard time beliving is BA sending a 7 hour flight with no food. I have not once heard or indeed had knowledge about BA doing such a thing. I do not belive for a moment the CSD would have been ok with this even if it was a suggestion or even if the captain didn't mind. I have been on three flights were indeed the catering was late and a delay posted to ensure we had food onboard (1 shorthaul 2 LH).

There is certainly more to this story and I hope I am indeed correct. If BA did actually do this- it is unacceptable and, indeed, your friend should have been already offered comp if this was the case via the onboard IPad of the CSD or would have been given a meal voucher for use in the terminal.

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 35):
The thing I have a particularly hard time beliving is BA sending a 7 hour flight with no food. I have not once heard or indeed had knowledge about BA doing such a thing

Ready to be corrected, during the Gate Gourmet wild cat strike in August 2005 I understood that some flights left LHR for USA without catering after passengers were given an option to board or not.

ckfred

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:48 pm

It's one thing for a plane to depart with no food. But a trans-Atlantic flight with no beverage service would be a truly bad experience. That would mean no water, no coffee, no tea, no soda, no juice, and no alcohol (which means no extra revenue in Y).

I would expect that if a plane leaves LHR at about 11:30, about 4.5 hours late, most people will have gotten something to eat in the airport.

I would be curious as to how many agents were still working at Customs and Immigration, with an arrival at 1am in New York? And how difficult is it to get a cab at JFK at 2am?

anjin

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Such is life I'd rather go with no catering than the other option - flight being cancelled.
Inconvenient yes. I'd rather go with no catering than no bags...

Andy33

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 37):
and no alcohol (which means no extra revenue in Y).

This is BA we're talking about. They don't charge for alcohol at all in Y, not even on an under-an-hour UK domestic.

BA0197

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 37):
It's one thing for a plane to depart with no food. But a trans-Atlantic flight with no beverage service would be a truly bad experience. That would mean no water, no coffee, no tea, no soda, no juice, and no alcohol (which means no extra revenue in Y).

Well all booze onboard BA is free- but more to the point- I'm sure that would breaking some UK/European law (duty of care) in regards to not having water onboard.

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 36):
Ready to be corrected, during the Gate Gourmet wild cat strike in August 2005 I understood that some flights left LHR for USA without catering after passengers were given an option to board or not.

Correct- during the gate gormet strike, pax were told that there would be no catering due to the strike and, if my memory serves me correctly, BA proactively gave out meal vouchers for all pax- amount determined by cabin booked.

[Edited 2015-09-23 10:48:16]

32andBelow

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:05 pm

If I had to guess the drink carts were probably loaded...

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 41):
If I had to guess the drink carts were probably loaded...

Loaded yes, but not loaded aboard the flight as the people were striking.  

32andBelow

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 42):

Well it doesn't take a brain scientist to roll a drink cart on to an airplane.

BA0197

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 43):
Well it doesn't take a brain scientist to roll a drink cart on to an airplane.

And it doesn't take a brain scientist to yell "health and saftey" either- it's just not a question of rolling a cart onboard  

Baexecutive

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I have heard of this situation before.

BA gave out vouchers to use in the terminal (as they did during the strike) not such a big deal on a night flight where the vast majority of people want to sleep.

There is no way it left without juice and water onboard as there is a duty of care perspective here.

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 40):
BA proactively gave out meal vouchers for all pax- amount determined by cabin booked.

Correct, and a re-book or cancel without penalty I recall.

tonystan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Well there are a number of items which are loaded with the catering which are NO GO items such as the basic first aid kits (which supplement the far more superior onboard medical kit also provided).

So I seriously doubt this plane went with NO catering.

Perhaps the food had been spoilt as it was onboard too long without appropriate chilling and if it really was so late at night it would have been impossible to source fresh items but the plane certainly would have had something if even just drinks, ambient snacks (club kitchen) and a few other items on the meal trays which may not have spoilt!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

readytotaxi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 47):
Well there are a number of items which are loaded with the catering

Hang on, and pls tell me if I am wrong but nothing was loaded. The strike, yes?

Lofty

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 pm

At that time of night an A/C change can take upto 4hrs if it was a type change even longer. I guess the option was to take the new aircraft with dry stores only or cancel the flight. It looks like the flight crew decided to go without food.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos