BCproduct
Topic Author

Twin Otter On Floats In Maldives

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 am

I am a Twin Otter Captain back in the Maldives after many years working at Maldivian Seaplanes, a new startup seaplane operation that currently has 6 DHC-6 Twin Otters. If you remember the good old days of flying the Twin Otter this should bring back a memory or two   Enjoy!!

Thomas.

https://youtu.be/eFdiuaqmFo0

[Edited 2015-09-25 03:13:10]

[Edited 2015-09-25 03:14:22]

Armodeen

RE: Twin Otter On Floats In Maldives

Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:58 am

Don't pretty much all the Maldivian operators use twin otters?

BCproduct
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 1):
Don't pretty much all the Maldivian operators use twin otters?

Yes, there are two major seaplane operators, both using Twin Otters. There is a Cessna Caravan on floats parked out at one of the domestic airports for whale shark and scenic tours. But for passenger transfers, it is all Twin Otters.

ua900

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Nice footage, thanks for sharing. Nice to see commercial pilots in shorts and flip flops, what a life.
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

BCproduct
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 3):

Nice footage, thanks for sharing. Nice to see commercial pilots in shorts and flip flops, what a life.

Thank you! And yes, our uniforms are a lot of fun...

b747400erf

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:33 am

Yes thank you for sharing. Time building and getting experience in style.

starbucks

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:41 am

Are they hiring? (A)

BCproduct
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 5):
Yes thank you for sharing. Time building and getting experience in style.

HAHA!!! Yes, I started this to time build.... somehow I am still here... although, I do wonder how the other half live   Flying a 747 must be amazing!

93Sierra

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:46 pm

But no pork and booze right????? And no bikinis??? How is life outside of flying as an expat?

BCproduct
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Quoting starbucks (Reply 6):
Are they hiring? (A)

With close to 60 Twin Otters here, they are always looking for qualified guys. It is a bit harder without experience but not impossible. They are trying to hire whatever nationals are available... which at times is enough and at others, not.

crownvic

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:04 pm

A couple of observations, its interesting how the assistant or deckhand (not sure what his title is) just throws the docking lines loose onto the pontoon and just climbs aboard and does not secure them in any way shape or form. Also, piloting with worn out flip flops on..Certainly a lot different then my days as a passenger on the Allegheny Commuter Twin Otters flying in and out of Atlantic City Bader Field!

All in all, a great video although it would have been nice to hear the engines and not the music.. what an envious job too!

[Edited 2015-09-26 08:07:30]

BCproduct
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 8):
But no pork and booze right????? And no bikinis??? How is life outside of flying as an expat?

You are correct, pork and booze are in limited supply. At the airport, there is a hotel that has a pub/bar where we can go for drinks. Also the resorts are fully stocked with pork and alcohol. We used to get liquor and pork permits for the city but that stopped a few years back.

Bikins at the resorts and at the airport hotel... Life as an expat here is not all that exciting... the shine wears off pretty quickly. Apart from water sports (surfing/diving/snorkeling) there is not much else to do. There is enough expats here that we plan small events from time to time.

On the bright side, the flying is amazing and its a good place to save money.

But yes, it sucks not having the freedom to eat or drink what you want, when you want!!!

93Sierra

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:25 am

Could you give me a rough idea on the times they are looking for on the fo side? I'm flying the SC7 and the DHC6 and will have around 2500 TT, 1200 turbine shortly. Looks like a beautiful place to work, but I do love me some bacon.... Thanks!

longhauler

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:30 am

I recently flew with one of our new-hires who was doing exactly what you were doing. It sounded like paradise, and your video confirmed it. Thanks for taking the effort to post it.

He said he would have no problem doing that for the next 40 years, but family commitments required that he return to Canada and accept Air Canada's offer of employment.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

BCproduct
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 10):
A couple of observations, its interesting how the assistant or deckhand (not sure what his title is) just throws the docking lines loose onto the pontoon and just climbs aboard and does not secure them in any way shape or form. Also, piloting with worn out flip flops on..Certainly a lot different then my days as a passenger on the Allegheny Commuter Twin Otters flying in and out of Atlantic City Bader Field!

All in all, a great video although it would have been nice to hear the engines and not the music.. what an envious job too!

Interesting that you picked that up. We do snug the middle rope up on the middle ballard so it is in effect shortened and unable to get into the prop; the back rope, the guys usually wrap around the step for easy access when we land.

Yes, Flying in flip flops, or in most cases with no shoes at all has become the norm. It was shock last winter doing a rotation out of inuvik with two pairs of socks on and work boots.... dulls the sensation. Bare feet makes you one with the airplane   Also one of the first things passengers take a picture of! (Open cockpit)

BravoOne

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Brings back fond memories as well. Flew the Twotter with amphibious floats out of KBFI for a number of years. Not sure the weather was as nice as where you were but wonderful none the less. About as much as one can have with their clothes on 

BCproduct
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 12):
Could you give me a rough idea on the times they are looking for on the fo side? I'm flying the SC7 and the DHC6 and will have around 2500 TT, 1200 turbine shortly. Looks like a beautiful place to work, but I do love me some bacon.... Thanks!

At the moment, there is a bit of a backlog of nationals waiting to get hired, but when they run out, for an FO, Commercial Multi IFR with seaplane. The Maldives is migrating to the European licensing system so its a bit messy with license conversions, but they all seem to be getting worked out. Hours or experience on type is a bonus.

Two companies, TMA (Trans Maldivian Airways) and Maldivian Seaplanes. TMA has been around for much longer and has 50+ Twin Otters. The one I work for Maldivian is new(ish) and we currently have 6 Twin Otters with plans for expansion.

Doesn't hurt to try with both companies if you're interested!

EIDAA

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:31 am

Nice video!

I actually just flew on 8Q-IAE on Saturday morning (26th) coming back from a few days in Maalifushi. There were some passengers switching moving to the sister resort on Cocoa Island, so rather than routing directly to MLE, our flight stopped off at Cocoa en route, so nice to get an extra t/o and landing. All in all a great experience!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

BCproduct
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 13):

I recently flew with one of our new-hires who was doing exactly what you were doing. It sounded like paradise, and your video confirmed it. Thanks for taking the effort to post it.

He said he would have no problem doing that for the next 40 years, but family commitments required that he return to Canada and accept Air Canada's offer of employment.

Great to hear! As with all things there are the good and the bad. It is amazing work but living in a foreign country can wear on you in unexpected ways. I have tried my luck at AC but it just hasn't seemed to work out. Surprising, seeing as I have family in the airline and also completed my training through an aviation college. Nevertheless, I can't complain too much... It doesn't get much better than this flying a Twin Otter!

BCproduct
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:41 am

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 15):

Brings back fond memories as well. Flew the Twotter with amphibious floats out of KBFI for a number of years. Not sure the weather was as nice as where you were but wonderful none the less. About as much as one can have with their clothes on 

Interesting, I have flown the Twin Otter in several configurations but never on Amphibs. Although, the amphibious setup is making a come back it seems with more and more of them out there. Alot of the 400 series that are being built today are going out on amphibs.

BravoOne

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:18 am

Quoting BCproduct (Reply 19):
Interesting, I have flown the Twin Otter in several configurations but never on Amphibs. Although, the amphibious setup is making a come back it seems with more and more of them out there. Alot of the 400 series that are being built today are going out on amphibs

Just think of taxing a shopping cart and you will experience the same sensation. Kind of cool when you can back into a parking slot 

BCproduct
Topic Author

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 17):
Nice video!

I actually just flew on 8Q-IAE on Saturday morning (26th) coming back from a few days in Maalifushi. There were some passengers switching moving to the sister resort on Cocoa Island, so rather than routing directly to MLE, our flight stopped off at Cocoa en route, so nice to get an extra t/o and landing. All in all a great experience!

Thanks! It's always nice to hear when someone enjoys something I have made.

Maalafushi is an amazing resort, one of my favorites in the Maldives. The food is so good! In fact I was there last night for an overnight, which we do one to two times per week!

BCproduct
Topic Author

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 20):
Just think of taxing a shopping cart and you will experience the same sensation. Kind of cool when you can back into a parking slot 

You are totally correct... I left aviation for 8 years, didn't turn a prop. But, getting back into the Twin Otter may have been easier than riding a bike!!

YVRLTN

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:36 am

Pretty cool!! Even more fun than our Twotter drivers have here.

Quoting crownvic (Reply 10):

A couple of observations, its interesting how the assistant or deckhand (not sure what his title is) just throws the docking lines loose onto the pontoon and just climbs aboard and does not secure them in any way shape or form.

Happens 20+ times an hour at YVR. Check out this photo I took, little over exposed, but that is not a hair on my lens, but a rope!
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7641717732_3fbc2166e2_k.jpg

Quoting BCproduct (Reply 14):
Yes, Flying in flip flops, or in most cases with no shoes at all has become the norm.

Please dont take this as criticism, I know there are a high volume of flights, I hadnt quite realized how many Twotters there are and ocean conditions can be somewhat unplanned for and therefore unforgiving, but I - and I know others - cant help but wonder if this does somewhat affect the safety culture there by having a bit of a chilled out attitude, there are quite frequent bumps and mishaps, some fairly major.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

BCproduct
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 23):
Please dont take this as criticism, I know there are a high volume of flights, I hadnt quite realized how many Twotters there are and ocean conditions can be somewhat unplanned for and therefore unforgiving, but I - and I know others - cant help but wonder if this does somewhat affect the safety culture there by having a bit of a chilled out attitude, there are quite frequent bumps and mishaps, some fairly major.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking?

But, as far as conditions go, they are generally very good, we do have a handful of days each year where water conditions can be challenging. But, landing at islands there is usually some piece of water that you can find that offers some shelter, either in the lee or an attached lagoon that blocks swell. One of the nice things that has changed over the years is that there is no pressure from our operator to complete flights if we feel the conditions are not acceptable.

As for chilled out? We may be in bare feet but still as pilots we have to prepare for our flights the same as a person wearing shoes and a tie. Getting into the cockpit on a sunny day the temp can reach high 30's with 90+ percent humidity... wearing a traditional pilots uniform would not be fun  

There are a lot of airplanes in the area, so we do have to keep our wits about us. And we are starting to use a TCAS system in the airplanes and weather radar... Great tools to have, especially coming from days where most of the steam driven gauges worked 50% of the time!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos