allrite

RE: QR To Start DOH-SYD 1 March 2016

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 38):
I don't know what industry you are in, but as a Canberran I do not know a single person who "commutes" from Sydney.
Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 39):
I'm also Canberran, hence why I asked the question.

I know we are going a bit off topic, but I've had bosses in my Federal government organisation (not APS) that have split their weeks between Sydney and Canberra and known of others who have effectively done so (in a couple of cases they "lived" in Canberra and commuted to Sydney, another lived in the Blue Mountains!). Consider that the business of government is spread over the entire country and teams may be split across regions - that goes for the private organisations that consult to the government too. Sometimes we need to meet face to face. There also the need to be in Canberra for weeks when parliament sits and elsewhere doing other things when it doesn't (eg media, lobbyists, staffers). So, the traffic is understandably a bit FIFO at times.

I would struggle to see how there would be enough demand for QR or any ME carrier in CBR. Trips in that direction are surely, due to their length, not time critical that routing via SYD or MEL isn't a satisfactory option, assuming that the ME is not the destination itself.
I like artificial banana essence!

IndianicWorld

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:33 pm

QR/EK/EY to CBR is dreamland stuff.

For International services, CBR needs a AKL or WLG flight first before it thinks too grand. So far no one has taken a shot at that even that one which speaks volumes about how carriers likely see the market potential at this stage.

As for the CBR airport, it's a great terminal but it is unfortunately an example of why other airports don't spend more on their facilities.

CBR had grand plans and visions which saw it spend up big on a new terminal, with it rebuilding and expanding considerably only to see traffic numbers go into reverse. This is not a good look for investors and only serves to highlight why many of our airports are so conservative in their planning.

It can talk up potential routes across the globe all it likes but the reality is that it is just going to be a very hard sell.

qantas747

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Gosh, Services to CBR airport are so frustratingly controlled by QF and VA. (I'm going a little off topic here)

I'm an ex Canberran, and know of the days of Tiger flying to MEL, and VA being really cost competitive.
Now they're all chasing the government dollar, when there is a whole bunch of cashed up leisure travellers catching the bus to SYD instead of flying out of CBR.

JQ I think has a huge opportunity considering the loyal QFF base and fantastic QP facilities.

OOL is a must, daily (in the morning) which will allow it to connect to the TYO flight
MEL needs to happen twice daily
CNS is another opportunity at least 3-4 x pw ( again have that fly out early morning to connect with JQ Japan services)
-in fact if they had this service operating, the OOL service could depart lunchtime and be more favourable for leisure travellers.
ADL- Lunchtime flight- a 3rd daily was trailled with a Qlink Q400, why not have the lower cost base of JQ operate it
(they could time it to connect to the ADL-PER flight)
-It needs to be on a bloody Saturday! I can't for the life of me understand why no airline ops direct to ADL on the Saturday!

But really CBR should be looked at more closely by the premium airlines.
CX operating 3/4pw to HKG ( would help increase capacity to the SYD area)
SQ operate 3/4pw to SIN (would be a huge benefit to VA Flyers in CBR)
NZ operate 5pw to AKL (onward connects to the Americas, and again, build VA flyers)

The ME carriers should be interested in CBR
I've always thought an EK 77L running 4/5pw would be a fantastic opportunity, one stop from CBR to Europe is a dream that should turn into reality!

Really, it comes down to whatever carrier comes to CBR first ( not in a token way, but committed) as the CBR market will get behind them. The smaller towns always remember the first!
Look at how quickly ADL has taken to EK, SQ and CX!

That's why I think if QR was to get creative with a DOH-CBR-WLG flight, they would have loyalty straight out.
Really, if these two were to be tied together, is 11J/115Y(788) 18J/125Y(350) seats that each capital city would need to fill.
-To add to that, the bonus of CBR-WLG pax to help fill the plane.

Perhaps EK would beat them to the punch with a DXB-CBR-WLG flight on 77L (whats the biggest craft that could land in WLG? it would help having its next flight only across the ditch)

IndianicWorld

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 am

^^ Sorry, but just not going to happen.

CBR Is a market of only around 500k, but it is in the shadow of 2 much larger hub cities (SYD and MEL). It is also not a huge driver of international tourism at this stage which limits its potential. Getting an airline to take such a risk is hard work.

If the airport can't even get a NZ flight then the airlines are not seeing the same potential some others seem to think exists. Their research must say otherwise.

The only long-haul route I could potentially see in the future would be SIN, as it is a flight that can offer significant connectivity but is still not too long, making the economics of the flight more appealing. whether there's actually a market for it in the future will be interesting to see but at this stage it's not likely being seriously considered.

aryonoco

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:26 am

If CBR was to sustain international traffic, it would be on NZ. DOH-CBR is as likely to happen as my favourite pipe dream route: MEL-THR.

SYDSpotter

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:41 am

Quoting qantas747 (Reply 52):
when there is a whole bunch of cashed up leisure travellers catching the bus to SYD instead of flying out of CBR.

If they were cashed up they wouldn't be travelling by bus and would be in the front of the cabin.

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 54):
If CBR was to sustain international traffic, it would be on NZ. DOH-CBR is as likely to happen as my favourite pipe dream route: MEL-THR.

If anything, I give MEL-THR a greater chance than CBR-DOH !
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

DolphinAir747

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 am

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 55):
Quoting aryonoco (Reply 54):

If anything, I give MEL-THR a greater chance than CBR-DOH !

The lack of CBR-WLG flights baffles me completely.

soyuz

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:23 am

Quoting airzona11 (Reply 40):
So you mean to tell me they need to fill up the belly with cargo and the premium cabin for profitability? Anyone else's mind blown from this riveting analysis?

Mate, I think you're in need of some Alprazolam or perhaps some tranquil pan pipe music. I was expressing my opinion, that I find it hard to believe that common folk like yours truly will choose to fly in a crammed 777 (thank you Indianic World above, who reminded us that QR will also be moving to 10 abreast seating) over the glut of A380 options, together with the EK/QF partnership and all the FF benefits and onward options that come with it when travelling between SYD and Europe or Northern Africa. If QR can make this work, more power to them. Healthy premium yields and lots of cargo will go a long way to achieving that. No riveting analysis, just common bloody sense.

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 25):
That is some cogent analysis right there.

-it's called a sense of humor. I'm sure you have one, you may have just misplaced it somewhere.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos