tcyvr
Topic Author

AC Sending Traffic Through CX & Not *alliance?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:20 am

I recently travelled from Canada with AC to HKG, and from there CX for the onwards trip. The ticket issued by AC. I was wondering why is AC using CX for transferring passengers for onwards journeys and not their *alliance partners.

My return is with NH, and then AC to Canada.

HB-IWC

RE: AC Sending Traffic Through CX & Not *alliance?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:34 am

AC fares out of many offline South-East Asian stations such as BKK, SGN, KUL, SIN and CGK allow multiple carriers between the departure city and any off AC online stations. Here in Jakarta most of AC tickets are MPM based and allow any carrier between CGK and HKG/ICN/NRT/HND/PVG/PEK.

bmacleod

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:54 pm

I remember something similar when someone booked a flight from YYC to ATL on AC through IAH on UA; instead they ended up on a DL flight for the IAH-ATL leg instead of UA - the Star alliance partner.

How is this possible?   
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Someone83

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 2):
How is this possible?

As long as they interline it is possible

Being in an alliance doesn't mean cannot have some sort of cooperation with other, or what is done her, combine itiniaries.

RJNUT

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:13 pm

I know MCI-HKG fares thru O'Hare on CX allow UA or AA MCI-ORD ,( American allows 1st class travel on that segment ,United doe not however) on Biz class thru -fares

longhauler

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:29 pm

I have often noticed quite a few passengers connecting onto AC from CX at YYZ and YVR to various stations. Oddly enough, they are places that WS flies.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

winginit

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting tcyvr (Thread starter):

I recently travelled from Canada with AC to HKG, and from there CX for the onwards trip. The ticket issued by AC. I was wondering why is AC using CX for transferring passengers for onwards journeys and not their *alliance partners.

My return is with NH, and then AC to Canada.

So long as the two carriers have interline ties (and in many cases they will) this is commonplace. Just because there are alliance partners in the market doesn't mean there will be guaranteed flow availability between the carriers at the time for the schedule you're looking for, in which case a non-alliance partner needs to be tapped.

XAM2175

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:18 pm

QF interline passengers for domestic connections in the US and Canada on UA and WS, in addition to alliance and joint-business partner AA. Seems odd, but it's definitely nothing new.

yegbey01

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm

AC sells tickets YYZ-HKG and onward connections to Jakarta and Manila on CX. I have done this many times in J class.

Viscount724

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:25 am

AC codeshares with MEA (SkyTeam) on BEY-GVA-YUL. They get a lot of connecting traffic on that route to/from Beirut. MEA and AC schedules are coordinated in both directions. The last time I flew AC GVA-YUL there must have at least 50 passengers connecting from the MEA A320 from BEY to the AC A333 to YUL.

zkncj

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:49 am

No different to NZ having an joint venture with CX and codeshare with CX. In which they both recognize each others frequent flyer programs on agreed routes.

Have an look at http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-operation-partners-cathay-pacific

Theres nothing wrong with an airline codeshare outside of an alliance, sometimes its in the airlines/customers best intrest that they do.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:06 am

AvGeeks get way too caught up in the whole "...but but but, they're in different alliances!" line of thinking.

Airlines interline pax on non-allied carriers all day every day, especially at large gateway airports that tend to be dominated by one or two carriers. Codeshare isn't needed either.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

bill142

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 11):
AvGeeks get way too caught up in the whole "...but but but, they're in different alliances!" line of thinking.

Agreed. Ultimately the airlines are going to do what's right for their business.

dc10srule

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 11):

Really though, we are probably only talking about a very small percentage of connection traffic at your typical alliance hub.

I suspect your average elite level traveller wants to maximize their point accumulation by staying within the preferred alliance and take advantage of the easier connection in the same terminal building (usually).

This practice does defeat the purpose of the many synergies and benefits in the alliance system.

What is the - right for their business - angle that an airline can claim by routing business through a competitor......

(sorry - my quotation marks and question marks aren't functioning for some reason)
Giggity-Giggity..!

ORDJOE

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:42 pm

There are many airlines that codeshare with non alliance partners. JAL codeshares with AF and a number of other Skyteam and *A airlines. QF codeshares with MU and AZ.

rnav2dlrey

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Quoting tcyvr (Thread starter):
I recently travelled from Canada with AC to HKG, and from there CX for the onwards trip.

OP, what was your full routing? flight numbers may also be insightful if you're willing to disclose.

neromancer

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:34 am

A couple years ago I flew YYZ-DFW-SAT. It was on an AC ticket and AC metal to DFW but on AA metal to SAT.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:19 am

Quoting DC10sRULE (Reply 13):
Really though, we are probably only talking about a very small percentage of connection traffic at your typical alliance hub.

Based on what?

Quoting DC10sRULE (Reply 13):
elite level traveller

THAT is the "very small percentage" here.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

cedarjet

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:21 am

Alliances aren't everything. Virgin's biggest interline partner by volume? British Airways.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

winginit

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 18):

Alliances aren't everything. Virgin's biggest interline partner by volume? British Airways.

and you can bet that among the US3 some of their biggest interline partners by volume are one another (with the fresh exception of AA and DL).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos