Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klwright69

Re: So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm

I am sure there are lots of movies about crashes. I only did two. You all can talk about all of them all day. But I agree these kind of movies can be boring. But this movie has real star power and villains, the investigators.

Moose135

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:31 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
For A.netters, there is even the humble snowglobe featured in the movie, that made me smile! Image

I thought I might just wait for the DVD before I see the movie, but now, I may have to get myself to a theater this weekend! :D
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

sgbroimp

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:20 pm

The producers had access to both the NTSB transcripts and probably video of the testimony. So question is did they get the content and tone right or did they alter for dramatic effect? I look forward to seeing the film and am still curious about "Brake for impact", i.e. if it is in the released film. Seems like they could not have possibly goofed up something so simple.

Passedv1

Re: RE: So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm

barney captain wrote:
Maybe this guy can help with the life-jacket donning scene.....  

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I know he's under stress)

[Edited 2015-10-03 19:08:17][Edited 2015-10-03 19:09:55]

Spit out coffee...all over table...thanks man...good one!

Yflyer

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
The producers had access to both the NTSB transcripts and probably video of the testimony. So question is did they get the content and tone right or did they alter for dramatic effect?

As I understand it the content is more or less correct, but not the tone. In other words the NTSB did ask those questions, after all they are very thorough and it's their job to look into every possibility, but they weren't as confrontational as portrayed in the movie. But investigators asking routine questions in a non-confrontational way doesn't make for good drama.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Sully in an interview discusses the NTSB, and says his and their gripe is that the NSTB (probably with Sully's input) came up with some 35 recommendations. The FAA (which experiences some industry co-option) has only implemented 2 or 3 of them. It is unfortunate that Hollywood insists on inventing conflict where there is none. It is one of the reasons I almost never watch a movie about real life events. Always distorted.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

9lflyguy

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:54 pm

In the closing scene Sully takes a massive dump on the regionals...
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

stburke

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 pm

9lflyguy wrote:

LOL

"If I had less than 1,500 hours I wouldn't have been able to take such an epic dump nor the fistfulls of ALPA cash"

ordell
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 pm

I found this amusing.

jco613

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:25 am

33lspotter wrote:
Overall I thought it was quite good. I thought the NTSB's role was a bit dramatized, and they were made to look like the bad guys, but perhaps that's to be expected - many average people know the story of Cactus 1549, and so I get that they wanted to put a unique spin on it. Regardless, the ATC transmissions were accurate pretty much down to the word, the use of the A320 and Airbus simulators was on-point, and I personally thought that Hanks did a great job, as good of a job as you can re-enacting a story like that. Would give it a solid 8.5-9/10.

As an aside, I didn't notice any errant tails. In fact, the two unique tails that I did notice were Continental tails, which was accurate given that the flight took place in 2009.

I agree with this. Typically I go into an aviation movie looking for the technical errors and I was surprised at the accuracy. Very impressive. The airline tails were right and they did follow the CVR and testimony. I guess it helps when everyone who actually was involved is actually ALIVE.

I do agree with others, they really focused on making the NTSB look bad. I wish hey would have been a little less harsh. But, I guess you gotta have a villain. I also wish we had more information on Sully's personal issues at the time (the movie did touch on it), and more on his pre-airline life (again, a touch). I also wish the movie had ended with his final flight and the reunion with FO Skiles (I don't know the actor, but he was fantastic! Hanks was professional as always, but the voice doesn't come close to matching Sully's.).

Stay until the end through the credits. You see pictures and footage from the reunion (real, not Tom Hanks). It makes you remember this was real.

Love the timing of the release. 9/11 is a sad time, especially around NY. It's nice to remember that good things can happen involving airliners in NYC sometimes.

TonyBurr

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:40 am

I saw the movie today. It was very well done in all aspects. Tom Hanks was good. It gave a great impression if Sully. Go see it. I really enjoyed it.

apodino

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:09 am

ordell wrote:
BTW whatever became of Skiles?

Skiles is still flying for American to this day. He is currently a first officer on the A330. His name is on the joint seniority list that came out this week.

jco613

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:11 am

apodino wrote:
ordell wrote:
BTW whatever became of Skiles?

Skiles is still flying for American to this day. He is currently a first officer on the A330. His name is on the joint seniority list that came out this week.

I know it doesn't work this way but after that day, he should be number one on the list. He's as much of a hero as Sully. She whole crew are heroes.

cjg225

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 pm

9lflyguy wrote:

In what way?

I saw the movie last night and am not sure what line(s) you think support that.

Anyway....

One of the most fascinating things about the film was the CVR scene. Is the transcript or a recording of the CVR publicly available? I wonder how accurate that was. I've heard the ATC tapes, but what was said in the cockpit itself was very interesting to me. Not that it made revelations, but just that it was interesting to see how something like this is handled.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

bmacleod

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Thought the movie was fantastic though any possible Oscar nods for Hanks will be less certain.

catiii wrote:
In related news, Harrison Ford has signed on to play the captain in the movie about the Northwest 337 incident. They took off right before US 1549, actually missed the birds, and made it safely to their final destination. Heroic  

Not sure about NW 337 but I'm hoping a movie will be made about Northwest 85.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines_Flight_85
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

flyingclrs727

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:17 pm

curlyheadboy

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:26 pm

cjg225 wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

In what way?

I saw the movie last night and am not sure what line(s) you think support that.

Anyway....

One of the most fascinating things about the film was the CVR scene. Is the transcript or a recording of the CVR publicly available? I wonder how accurate that was. I've heard the ATC tapes, but what was said in the cockpit itself was very interesting to me. Not that it made revelations, but just that it was interesting to see how something like this is handled.

Recordings are not available AFAIK, though the full transcript can be found here: http://www.tailstrike.com/150109.htm
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

n471wn

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 am

Wow just saw this movie in IMAX and it was great and did not find one error in it. So well done and congrats to all who made this a 5 star film!! My only disappointment was that my city of Danville was not mentioned as Sully's house here was not far from mine!!!

PanzerPowner

Sully and the Split Scimitar Winglets In The Background

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Anyone noticed the Split Scimitar Winglets on the Continental B737s in the background at the Terminal Taxiing Scene?
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

Revelation

Re: Sully and the Split Scimitar Winglets In The Background

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Really, I doubt anyone producing the movie is going to give that one second of concern. They have far more important issues on their minds.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

yonahleung

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:19 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
Anyone noticed the Split Scimitar Winglets on the Continental B737s in the background at the Terminal Taxiing Scene?

Yes...immediately thought to myself "I think the split winglets was a much later invention..."

Sooner787

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Saw the movie yesterday and loved it, I especially enjoyed Aaron Eckhart in the movie
as First Office Skiles.

My thoughts after the movie were it showed the emotions
any flight crew would go thru
after an accident, even one where no lives were lost.

Flying is a career that 99% of pilots love so much they would do it for free.
I can't imagine the stress a pilot would feel if that career was suddenly
in jeopardy. I was thinking if I was in their shoes, I'd want to get back
in the air asap. I got that sense from Hanks and Eckhart as they were
stuck in their hotel rooms in NYC.

jeffh747

Re: RE: So They Are Making A Movie About Sully

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:43 am

catiii wrote:
In related news, Harrison Ford has signed on to play the captain in the movie about the Northwest 337 incident. They took off right before US 1549, actually missed the birds, and made it safely to their final destination. Heroic  

What happened with Northwest 337? A Google search didn't yield anything useful pertaining to an incident.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Yflyer

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:28 am

yonahleung wrote:
PanzerPowner wrote:

Yes...immediately thought to myself "I think the split winglets was a much later invention..."

This was already explained back in reply #86, but just to reiterate, they shot that scene on location at LGA. They couldn't exactly ask airlines only to fly older planes that day, so they pretty much had to shoot what was there.

VapourTrails

Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:50 am

Sooner787 wrote:
Saw the movie yesterday and loved it, I especially enjoyed Aaron Eckhart in the movie as First Officer Skiles. My thoughts after the movie were it showed the emotions any flight crew would go thru after an accident, even one where no lives were lost.

I agree about the FO Skiles too - it made me want to find ot more about Skiles, as the lesser known pilot. By the way, I thought Tom Hanks played his part really well, as Sully too.

Sooner787 wrote:
Flying is a career that 99% of pilots love so much they would do it for free. I can't imagine the stress a pilot would feel if that career was suddenly in jeopardy. I was thinking if I was in their shoes, I'd want to get back in the air asap. I got that sense from Hanks and Eckhart as they were stuck in their hotel rooms in NYC.

Have you read the book 30 Seconds to Impact by Peter Burkill? I've just read it. It is interesting to read it from the point of view regarding the media and also how an airline copes with unprecedented tragedy.
Last edited by VapourTrails on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeri28

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 am

This was a very good movie. Probably the first time since I lived here in Honolulu that the audience clapped afterwards. I never see that, unless it's a classic revival (saw the King and I a few weeks ago and the audience clapped). Anway, when the movie was announced, I too was skeptical on how they could make a film on a few minutes of the event, but I thought it was very well done. I enjoyed reading the many fantastical comments on this thread before anybody had even seen the movie.

cjg225

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:33 pm

curlyheadboy wrote:
Recordings are not available AFAIK, though the full transcript can be found here: http://www.tailstrike.com/150109.htm

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Really fascinating stuff.

I'm actually interested in the pre-flight portion. Skiles and Sullenberger weren't exactly on the same page, as I interpreted it. But they were right on point from takeoff to forced-water-landing.

precure787

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Quite different from various documentaries (I even did the compare and contrast back in my Human Factors in Aviation class), yet that movie is awesome and well written.
Edward Zen/Precure 787

Sooner787

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:30 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
Saw the movie yesterday and loved it, I especially enjoyed Aaron Eckhart in the movie as First Officer Skiles. My thoughts after the movie were it showed the emotions any flight crew would go thru after an accident, even one where no lives were lost.

I agree about the FO Skiles too - it made me want to find ot more about Skiles, as the lesser known pilot. By the way, I thought Tom Hanks played his part really well, as Sully too.

Sooner787 wrote:
Flying is a career that 99% of pilots love so much they would do it for free. I can't imagine the stress a pilot would feel if that career was suddenly in jeopardy. I was thinking if I was in their shoes, I'd want to get back in the air asap. I got that sense from Hanks and Eckhart as they were stuck in their hotel rooms in NYC.

Have you read the book '30 seconds to impact' by Peter Burkill? I've just read it. It is interesting to read it from the point of view regarding the media and also how an airline copes with unprecedented tragedy.

I agree Hanks did a great job portraying Sully as well.

And thanks for the book recommendation, I haven't read that book but I'll see if amazon has it in stock :)

jetmatt777

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Very good movie, I was very impressed with it as it was mostly factual and based in reality.

I do not think I've ever made that statement regarding an aviation film from Hollywood.

11725Flyer

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm

I saw the movie on Sunday. Highly recommended. I went in somewhat skeptical, but Tom Hanks was perfect for the role. I can hardly wait for it to go to Amazon so I can purchase it and watch it quite a few times.

Maverick623

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 pm

cjg225 wrote:
curlyheadboy wrote:

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Really fascinating stuff.

I'm actually interested in the pre-flight portion. Skiles and Sullenberger weren't exactly on the same page, as I interpreted it. But they were right on point from takeoff to forced-water-landing.

They were trying to get an adjustment for their weight and balance numbers due to two "jumpseaters" (non-revenue flight attendants) getting regular seats at the last minute after they already had a close-out. The local ops guy on the radio wasn't getting it done fast enough, so while they were waiting on the taxiway Sully called their dispatcher in PIT directly to get the correct numbers.

Also, one of them (I believe Sully) accidentally selected the wrong radio when calling clearance delivery for a reroute, and Skiles had a bad mic switch that wasn't allowing Sully to hear his transmissions over his headset.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

PlanesNTrains

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:18 am

Maverick623 wrote:
They were trying to get an adjustment for their weight and balance numbers due to two "jumpseaters" (non-revenue flight attendants) getting regular seats at the last minute after they already had a close-out.

Wow - imagine if they had been in the jumpseats instead. What an experience that would have been.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

cjg225

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Maverick623 wrote:
They were trying to get an adjustment for their weight and balance numbers due to two "jumpseaters" (non-revenue flight attendants) getting regular seats at the last minute after they already had a close-out. The local ops guy on the radio wasn't getting it done fast enough, so while they were waiting on the taxiway Sully called their dispatcher in PIT directly to get the correct numbers.

Also, one of them (I believe Sully) accidentally selected the wrong radio when calling clearance delivery for a reroute, and Skiles had a bad mic switch that wasn't allowing Sully to hear his transmissions over his headset.

Thanks for the information!

Interesting how this all did or did not sync up with what was shown in the movie.

Reading the CVR transcript, I like that they didn't have the ATC cut in between Sullenberger asking, "got any ideas?" and Skiles replying, "actually, no." That was a very poignant moment in the scene to me.

ordell
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:53 am

Discovery Channel is running a special called "Sully: Miracle on the Hudson." The funny part is Sully is not in it. They talked to pax and NY rescuers but I've yet to see Sully or Skiles. It's a bit dramatic but pretty informative.

jetmatt777

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:33 am

Saw it again today and still had chills on my spine watching some of the scenes. The detail to aviation is plenty to be mostly accurate and still not be overbearing to your average audience. Great movie and great directing by Eastwood.

garpd

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 am

I've seen the movie and without posting spoilers I will say that it is pretty good. They have the right mix of attention to detail and not boring average Joe from the minutiae of aviation held my breath.
Hanks is at his usual brilliance as Sully and Eckhart is a very go supporting act as Skiles and contributes a lot to the film. This is definitely not just a "look at Sully, worship him" movie. Will definitely go see it again soon.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

ODwyerPW

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:32 am

I just saw the movie. I enjoyed it. Their composure in the cockpit was impressive.
learning never stops.

ordell
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:13 am

A clip from the crash scene is on YouTubw now. Those two were truly cool customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvumRVaWKsI

oldannyboy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 am

I've seen the film and I think it's a really good, well-made and nicely put-together piece of entertainment; mixing good acting skills, and a compelling story without getting either rhetorical or patriotic, but staying nicely focused on both the technical and the "human factor" side of the story. I really enjoyed it.

:-) And Eckhart is hot as hell! :-)

Flightsimboy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Was there really the need for those visions by the window and a grim reminder to a flashback that is well known to all. Don't want to give it away if some have to see the movie. Hollywood sensationalism at it's best. Let's just throw that in for good measure!!!
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

ordell
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:24 pm

I was surprised Eastwood never cut away from the cockpit. You'd figure he'd show a pax reaction to Sully saying brace for impact, but nope.

Virginblue4

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:02 pm

I went to see the movie a couple of weeks back and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Very good acting as well.
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

Gasman

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:07 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I just have one criticism. As portrayed, Sully & Skiles broke "sterile cockpit" - making light hearted banter as soon as the wheels left the ground at LGA. I'm sure this didn't happen in reality. Small point though. Great movie, not over sensationalised.

jetmatt777

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:31 am

Gasman wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I just have one criticism. As portrayed, Sully & Skiles broke "sterile cockpit" - making light hearted banter as soon as the wheels left the ground at LGA. I'm sure this didn't happen in reality. Small point though. Great movie, not over sensationalised.

Indeed, it's a cinematic tool to get the audience to relate to the flight crew. You have to show them indulging in small talk to create the effect that this was a completely routine morning for both and neither were pressured. It allows many in the audience to relate to that feeling on their first task of the morning at work, no matter their profession. Whether or not that actually occurred is unknown but it is an important deviation to make to build the audience's awareness that this was a typical departure, on a typical day, with two normal people driving the ship -- who turn out to be extraordinary aviators. In other words, it had to bring the pilots into a frame of being regular people at work, and not sky gods like many normal people outside the profession consider pilots to be.

notaxonrotax

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 am

The mistakes so far:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3263904/goofs

Not many compared to other movies!

And the trivia:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3263904/trivia

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos