Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

Mackey International's DC-6 Fleet

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:31 pm

When I vacationed in south Florida in the 1970s I noticed around 1974 Mackey was adding Douglas DC-6s in their fleet
along side of their Convair 440s.I saw that most of their DC-6Bs had the registration that started with N37 which were
former United Airlines planes.From what I understand United repossessed a fleet of DC-6Bs from a scrapper for non
payment Did Mackey purchase those planes directly from United. Mackey also had a ex-American Airlines DC-6B-
N4354B which had more pointed prop spinners on the engines and also there was a Ex-Pan Am 6B N111DG a former
IGS plane. They also had a DC-6(not a B) N90705 ex-AA plane. Was Mackey the only airline in the USA to still operate
passenger DC-6s in the 1970s. Im sure when Mackey ceased operations in 1980 Those vintage DC-6s meant
the inevitable end at FLL and MIA

[Edited 2015-10-04 11:07:39]

N14AZ

RE: Mackey International's DC-6 Fleet

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Mackey Int'l - interesting, never ever heard about this airline before. So I read about them on wikipedia and found some very nice pics in the photo database

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Garrard

Heck, they even had DC8's before operations stopped...

So thank you for starting this thread...

L1011

RE: Mackey International's DC-6 Fleet

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I flew on N37573 in 1977. I enjoyed my first flight on a DC-6B, but the seats were filthy. They were bluish-gray. I had to look hard to find a seat I was willing to sit on. Seats were 3 x 2 in the main cabin and 2 x 2 facing seats in the small front cabin, although they all were sold as coach seats. I also flew on a couple of their Convair 440s. One of them still had Eastern's blue and green seat covers.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos