Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PRAirbus

RE: AF To Cut Jobs, Long-haul Fleet And Orders

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:47 am

KLM should part with AF; AF needs to put its house in order...KLM profitability could be jeopardized by AF's failures! KLM probably regrets being tied up with AF...

AirGAbon

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 am

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 150):
KLM should part with AF; AF needs to put its house in order...KLM profitability could be jeopardized by AF's failures! KLM probably regrets being tied up with AF...

Very short view! Just think what have been the benefits of KL with AF since the merger?

- network development, strong brand visibility
- key role in a huge alliance
- fleet development
- traffic growth
- very smart strategy of separating the business focus area: northern Europe, East Africa, Asia, USA etc.

KL itself would have been weaker.

AMS and CDG remain two major hubs in the world and having a dual offer, is a unique and great strategy which is working very well. There are few examples in Europe, except FRA and MUC.
(in comparison of MXP and FCO).

bleudefrance

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 150):

That would be a mistake, IMHO.

AF helped KLM a lot when the Dutch were in trouble, so now it's the reverse.

In an Alliance/Marriage/Merger, the profits should be shared as well as the losses.

If in the coming years there won't be any tragic accident involving the AFKL Group, then i'm sure that the group will be back to profits.

Amsterdam

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Quoting bleudefrance (Reply 152):

If in the coming years there won't be any tragic accident involving the AFKL Group, then i'm sure that the group will be back to profits.

Back to profits is not enough. To invest and expand a lot of profit is needed, not just profit.

ec99

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Even ignoring the question about what effect AF447 had, taking your opinion as correct reflects the problem AF currently has.

Quoting bleudefrance (Reply 145):
The group is still suffering through that terrible accident. They have done a great effort of financial consolidation in recent years but unfortunately the good results have not been achieved yet.

If they have gotten their house in order but the results continue to be poor, what is the next step? AF is burning through their cash on hand and they need to start making a profit (a real profit not an operating profit) or they are going to run out of money at some point. If what they have done isn’t enough to allow them to become profitable, I believe some further action is required if AF is going to continue to be a feasible non-state supported airline.

Do you think AF just needs more time to let previous reforms take effect or that further organizational changes/cost cutting are needed?

bleudefrance

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting EC99 (Reply 154):

They need both more time and further cost cutting, they have made a deep restructuration in recent years with redutions of costs and cut jobs and they will need to continue in the future but it's not easy to face the strong unions in countries such as France or Germany.

kdhurst380

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Flew with them twice, thought they were awful. It's hardly surprising that people choose to spend their money elsewhere.

kl838

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 156):

Flew with them twice, thought they were awful. It's hardly surprising that people choose to spend their money elsewhere.

I don't know when is the last time you have flown them, but as a someone who has constantly flown them for the last 20 years I have had mostly excellent flights. Yes, there were one or two crew members that were a bit sour, but Air France has a stellar product in all classes. CDG is also improved greatly for AF connections, and quite delightful, it amazes me how AF gets so much more crap thrown at it. Out of all major European airlines, British Airways is the worse in my opinion. Their product is mediocre in all classes, with LHR being much more of a pain to transfer through. Don't even get me started on the American carriers, besides Delta the rest are just awful.

Air France needs to work on its cost structure, eliminating the excess fat and to boost worker productivity. That can't be done with the ridiculous demands of the unions who would rather kill the airline than actually negotiate. The corporate culture needs to change, and the management structure as well.

[Edited 2015-10-14 16:27:39]

eta unknown

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting kl838 (Reply 157):
Air France needs to work its cost structure, eliminating the excess fat and to boost worker productivity

Do crews doing the LAX runs still stay at the Le Meridien Newport Beach???

kl838

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 158):

I would think so, even at BA I ended up running into the crew that served me in First at the Sofitel Philadelphia! Did not expect BA to put their crew in 5 star hotels either. Don't see why a 3 or 4 star can't be sufficient enough.

Mortyman

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 156):

Air France is very nice to fly with. I don't think it's first and foremost a lack of passengers wanting to fly with Air France that is the problem. It's the high cost structure of the company.

[Edited 2015-10-14 16:57:01]

eta unknown

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:49 am

Quoting kl838 (Reply 159):
I would think so, even at BA I ended up running into the crew that served me in First at the Sofitel Philadelphia! Did not expect BA to put their crew in 5 star hotels either. Don't see why a 3 or 4 star can't be sufficient enough.

Sofitels often leave a lot to be desired... and a 5 star city hotel isn't quite the same as being bused for over an hour to a resort-like property in a very chic area outside of town when somewhere local like Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, or even Long Beach would do.

delimit

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 158):

AF has a long history with the chain (they started it, and owned it for 20 years); and I rather doubt they pay anything close to the market rate.

eta unknown

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 162):
AF has a long history with the chain (they started it, and owned it for 20 years); and I rather doubt they pay anything close to the market rate.

Quite correct- crew contracts are primarily for hotel cash flow and the new owners will want a decent ROI.

l'espace180

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:10 pm

"Air France management says they are ready to avoid the attrition plan" (article in french):
Le Monde

To sum up the article: the management and unions have been meeting regularly since last Friday.
BOTH parties (or all parties, as the unions are not one unique party) agree that the adoption of Perform 2020 (growth through expansion+economy making) is a better solution that the Plan B (attrition).

Until October 22nd (next key Central Committee), negotiations are to continue.

Let's see what comes up, but it sounds very likely that they work something out to make Perform 2020 acceptable for everybody.

There is still some media/political/social fuss about the arrest of the 5 employees suspected of assaulting the managers last week. The arrest is considered by many as way too spectacular (some consider they have been treated as terrorist). I hope the debate about their trial does not interfere too much with the negotiation about the future of the company!

l'espace180

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Another article in French, a bit longer, from last week, explaining how management and pilots started negotiating in a much better way:
http://www.lemonde.fr/economie-franc...s-concessions_4786166_1656968.html

And an important element: the negotiation with Boeing and/or AerCap for cancellation of 787 only concerns 5 frames out of the 37 in order for AFKLM (25 from Boeing / 12 from AerCap)
No big event, except that you can write sensational headlines out of it! And this cancellation is also subject to the maintain or cancellation of the Plan B...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos