Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G500
Topic Author

Alaska Loses Their CEO's Baggage.

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:40 am

It would really suck if this was a direct flight

"CEOs: They’re just like us. Their luggage goes missing when they fly—even when they run the company.

The Los Angeles Times recently reported that Bradley Tilden, CEO of Alaska Airlines, owned up to the fact that during a flight to an industry summit in Washington, D.C., last week, his bag was misplaced. And yes, Tilden was flying on Alaska Airlines, the company he runs.

“The media is here and I’m hoping that you don’t write this down and print it,” Tilden said on stage.

Obviously, not everyone heeded to the request of Tilden, who also noted that Alaska Airlines had lost his luggage one other time, about 25 years earlier. The bag that went missing last week wasn’t lost permanently—it was delivered to the CEO a day later.

While travelers frequently complain about lost or delayed luggage, the truth is that airlines have made huge improvements in handling checked baggage. According to a 2014 report from SITA, the rate of mishandled baggage dropped by roughly 50% over the course of a decade. Granted, one reason fewer bags have been lost or delayed is because passengers have checked fewer of them; during this time span it became standard for airlines to charge fees for checked luggage.

So while travelers have less reason to complain about airlines losing their checked bags, when luggage is lost or delayed nowadays there’s more reason than ever to be angry—because unlike in the olden times, customers are usually paying extra for the privilege of checking a piece of luggage or two.

What’s especially interesting about the Alaska Airlines incident is that the carrier takes particular pride in how it handles luggage.

Full article:

http://time.com/money/4061260/alaska...-ceo-lost-luggage/?xid=yahoo_money

ua900

RE: Alaska Loses Their CEO's Baggage.

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:52 am

I guess he would take the 2,500 miles. Not sure if that offer is available for people who travel positive space, maybe someone from AS on this board who can elaborate whether he took any compensation.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

Q

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 am

Look, Alaska AIrlines all employees who know his name CEO. If employees saw his name tag on luggage. Taking of advantage to take his luggage and curious what's in the bag? Or fooling around with CEO' bag or anything has to do with this. CEO shouldn't leave his name tag. Should have put his son name and different address. AS employees will not know CEO's name tag next time!

Q

RWA380

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting Q (Reply 2):
Look, Alaska AIrlines all employees who know his name CEO. If employees saw his name tag on luggage. Taking of advantage to take his luggage and curious what's in the bag? Or fooling around with CEO' bag or anything has to do with this.

If you wish to be terminated immediately, that is theft plain & simple. One would think that the people that handled his bags on the AS side would know who he was & wanted his bag above all others to reach it's destination.

Quoting Q (Reply 2):
CEO shouldn't leave his name tag.

I don't know if misrepresenting the name on your bag is a good idea on planes where they match those bags with those who have boarded, that would then make sense as to why the bag missed the flight. I'm guessing like many CEO's he's busy & may have shown up at the airport rushed & although he made it through security, the bag didn't make the rush cart.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

ASFlyer

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting Q (Reply 2):
Look, Alaska AIrlines all employees who know his name CEO. If employees saw his name tag on luggage. Taking of advantage to take his luggage and curious what's in the bag? Or fooling around with CEO' bag or anything has to do with this. CEO shouldn't leave his name tag. Should have put his son name and different address. AS employees will not know CEO's name tag next time!

Q
Quoting RWA380 (Reply 3):
I don't know if misrepresenting the name on your bag is a good idea on planes where they match those bags with those who have boarded, that would then make sense as to why the bag missed the flight. I'm guessing like many CEO's he's busy & may have shown up at the airport rushed & although he made it through security, the bag didn't make the rush cart.

I don't think it matters whether he puts his name on the bag or not. Nobody looks at the name tag on a bag unless it's been lost. The bag tag has all the information anybody generally needs to know about the bag, and the bag system is fairly automated. Once the bags end up in the hands of the agents there is still not a need, nor really any time, to look at a name tag on the bag. All that to say, I can't see where anyone even knew it was his bag until he filed a lost bag report. In any case, I appreciate that he has enough faith in the baggage system to check his bag and then, when the system failed he wasn't to proud to admit it. Alaska has a very good track record in terms of baggage so it's not like it's an indication of a systemic problem.

copter808

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 am

Quoting Q (Reply 2):

If you really think that a ramp or baggage employee has time to look at the name on the tag, you must be smoking some really good stuff! If we took the time to read the names, the bag you checked this morning won't arrive for another two weeks!!!

Quoting ASflyer (Reply 5):
I don't think it matters whether he puts his name on the bag or not. Nobody looks at the name tag on a bag unless it's been lost. The bag tag has all the information anybody generally needs to know about the bag, and the bag system is fairly automated. Once the bags end up in the hands of the agents there is still not a need, nor really any time, to look at a name tag on the bag. All that to say, I can't see where anyone even knew it was his bag until he filed a lost bag report. In any case, I appreciate that he has enough faith in the baggage system to check his bag and then, when the system failed he wasn't to proud to admit it. Alaska has a very good track record in terms of baggage so it's not like it's an indication of a systemic problem.

I would consider this "Mishandled" rather than "lost". Might also depend on how he traveled. Was it stand-by or positive space? Was he on the same flight the bag was tagged for? When I travel stand-by and check a bag it's not at all unusual to arrive without it, hence I always carry a backpack with two days of clothing in it. Never lost--as in never to be seen again--a bag yet though!

Seriously though, HIS bag might be one of the best ones to be mishandled though. He has lost nothing but now understands what the customer experience is like when this happens.

RWA380

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 1):
I guess he would take the 2,500 miles. Not sure if that offer is available for people who travel positive space, maybe someone from AS on this board who can elaborate whether he took any compensation.

Any type of non-rev travel negates a lot of responsibilities the carrier has, but I believe baggage is not one of them. I had a brand new leather suitcase I bought in Singapore destroyed by OZ & I was on free J tickets & OZ paid me out handsomely.

I'm sure that anything Mr. Tilden needed for a business meeting was easily picked up by the company, courtesy of his Alaska Visa Card.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

cf6ppe

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:16 am

A co-worker of mine many years ago told about when he worked at UAL @SFO and was traveling on UAL. At a baggage claim he saw a bag arrive in the baggage claim area with a purple canvas bag cover that had on both sides the then UAL Presidents name. IIRC the name info said Bill Patterson, President, United Airlines.

Maybe, if you're the head guy/gal, this would assure that your bag was visible through the pile of bags. But, I imagine that having a colorful bag cover might be too much information...   

Passedv1

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:34 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 5):
Was it stand-by or positive space?

senior corporate officers do not travel standby.

afcjets

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 am

This reminds of when the PSA CEO missed a flight by a couple of minutes. They turned into an ad about their on-time record about how they wait for no one, including the CEO. Now, I wonder if it was planned.

HPRamper

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 1):

Interesting how much compensation has dropped. I can remember once, probably 12 years ago now, my NW flight was delayed for about four hours due to mx. There was no connection to miss, it was home from DTW. Nowadays you wouldn't get a sniff of compensation for that kind of delay. Back then, a week later a letter showed up from NW Corporate apologizing along with 15,000 free miles.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 3):
One would think that the people that handled his bags on the AS side would know who he was & wanted his bag above all others to reach it's destination.

I would venture a guess that there are numerous Menzies employees in Seattle who have no idea who Tilden is.

thegoldenargosy

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 10):
Interesting how much compensation has dropped. I can remember once, probably 12 years ago now, my NW flight was delayed for about four hours due to mx. There was no connection to miss, it was home from DTW. Nowadays you wouldn't get a sniff of compensation for that kind of delay. Back then, a week later a letter showed up from NW Corporate apologizing along with 15,000 free miles.

At DL you starting getting compensation after 3hrs. DL also offers drinks and sometimes food in the gate area for longer delays.

DFWflightpath

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

imagine what Air France would have done to it...

chrisair

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 5):
Seriously though, HIS bag might be one of the best ones to be mishandled though. He has lost nothing but now understands what the customer experience is like when this happens.

Absolutely. I have to wonder when he went to the bag office, does he tell the person who he is, or does he go through the whole process and let them figure it out?

At least AS scans bags so they have a general idea of where it is, unlike WN which says "well, we think your bag is in XYZ. It'll turn up."

b727fa

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Either way, I think he handled it well and with a pretty good sense of humor.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

32andBelow

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 1):

Is this a joke? This guy gets positive space on AS and most likely every carrier in America, including DL.

jetwet1

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 15):
Is this a joke? This guy gets positive space on AS and most likely every carrier in America, including DL.

Exactly, he is the CEO traveling on company business, he will be positive space. I do find it interesting they mentioned the fact that people are now having to pay to have their luggage lost, does any airline refund the fee is they lose the bag ?

SEAtown

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Hopefully AS will finaly replace Menzies in SEA with QX ground handling like at LAX.
"When you go out to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you." Deuteronomy 20:1

Redsand187

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 9):
Now, I wonder if it was planned.

I was thinking the same thing. Come up with this story, get national PR talking about your unique baggage policy. It's the perfect lighthearted ironic story to fill time on every news station.

OB1504

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting Q (Reply 2):
Look, Alaska AIrlines all employees who know his name CEO. If employees saw his name tag on luggage.

I don't care who it belongs to; all I care about is what flight the tag says the bag is going on. That's why the flight information is printed in a font size many times larger than the name.

As mentioned earlier, the only actual AS employee who handled the bag was the agent who accepted it. It was Menzies from then on.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 16):
I do find it interesting they mentioned the fact that people are now having to pay to have their luggage lost, does any airline refund the fee is they lose the bag ?

Not to my knowledge. Like an airline ticket, the baggage fee is to transport the bag from point A to point B, with no guarantee of arrival time.

AirlineCritic

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Poetic justice!

Although he does get points for 'fessing up and honesty.

32andBelow

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Exactly, he is the CEO traveling on company business, he will be positive space

CEO will be positive space for any travel reason.

flyorski

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:40 pm

I would venture a guess that there are numerous Menzies employees in Seattle who have no idea who Tilden is.

Exactly.. Considering AS outsources everything to the cheapest bidder, I am not at all surprised.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

malaysia

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Quoting seatown (Reply 17):
Hopefully AS will finaly replace Menzies in SEA with QX ground handling like at LAX.

Was it Menzies or QX at LAX when supposedly an AS plane was pushed into a UA plane?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

nws2002

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

does any airline refund the fee is they lose the bag ?

G4 does, don't know about anyone else.

Super Em

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Arent all Alaska ramp workers contract.

You get what you pay for.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:22 am

I find this rather interesting.

When I was with Delta as a PL, I would get emails whenever a senior officer was flying and checked bags. Once checked we would get aheads up the X was flying. Would usually go to the bag room manager (if in a hub) and the would ensure the bag go on the aircraft. I.E. watch it go into the belly. Last time I dealt with this was when Glen H. was flying into my station on vacation.

Others will say they don't get special treatment but they do. On arrival, a Delta SUV (they never use the Porsche) would pick them up plane-side and one of the protocol guys would wait for the bag at the belt loader. Again, this is in the hubs.
What gets measured gets done.

32andBelow

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 am

Quoting Super Em (Reply 25):

Arent all Alaska ramp workers contract.

You get what you pay for.

AS has their own ramp employees in Alaska. They also have contract ramp works of some of their codeshare/CPA partners. QX, KS..etc.

ASFlyer

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 26):
Others will say they don't get special treatment but they do. On arrival, a Delta SUV (they never use the Porsche) would pick them up plane-side and one of the protocol guys would wait for the bag at the belt loader. Again, this is in the hubs.

Perhaps that's how it rolls at other airlines but at AS they typically don't get special treatment, beyond positive space and sometimes First Class. I've had corporate officers, including Brad Tilden, on my flights in coach before. They boarded with the rest of the passengers and deplaned with the rest of the passengers. No special treatment.

RWA380

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:15 am

Agreed, which is why I made sure I said AS employees in my comment, because once that AS agent released the bag, that was in the hands of the company AS entrusts with their passengers luggage at their largest hub, maybe QX next time.

Quoting B727FA (Reply 14):
Either way, I think he handled it well and with a pretty good sense of humor.

When I've heard him talk on investors calls, he never seems arrogant & has a sense of humor.

Quoting seatown (Reply 17):

I'm so surprised that QX doesn't handle AS stations throughout the system.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 21):
CEO will be positive space for any travel reason.

I think it is all part of a CEO's compensation package & I am quite sure Brad flies coach & will leave an F seat for a passenger. That's a CEO to be proud of.

Quoting ASflyer (Reply 28):
I've had corporate officers, including Brad Tilden, on my flights in coach before. They boarded with the rest of the passengers and deplaned with the rest of the passengers. No special treatment.

Sounds like some similar stories my AS friends have made about their encounters with Mr Tilden.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:15 am

Quoting ASflyer (Reply 28):

Yes, they go through security like everyone and board and deplane like everyone. The thread was about bags which is what I was responding to.

Richard Anderson is almost always in coach on demestic flights. Most always exit row aisle.
What gets measured gets done.

AirlineCritic

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:32 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 26):
When I was with Delta as a PL, I would get emails whenever a senior officer was flying and checked bags. Once checked we would get aheads up the X was flying. Would usually go to the bag room manager (if in a hub) and the would ensure the bag go on the aircraft. I.E. watch it go into the belly.

Aha! I knew it!

(And yes, I know the kind of treatment *my* bags get at airlines. Though I don't have a lot of experience with Delta.)

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 am

I feel like in 2015 , stuff like this gets staged for publicity. Its free advertising for their $25 gift card compensation and the airline. Who knows if his luggage was actually lost.

Social media and viral stories are amazing advertising for free. If he did make this up it was brilliant, free advertising.

afcjets

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 am

Quoting Redsand187 (Reply 18):
Quoting afcjets (Reply 9): Now, I wonder if it was planned.
I was thinking the same thing. Come up with this story, get national PR talking about your unique baggage policy. It's the perfect lighthearted ironic story to fill time on every news station.

I was referring to the PSA CEO missing his flight where they turned it into an ad for their on time record, not this one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos