321neo
Topic Author

Hartford, CT And LAX Loaded On Aer Lingus Website

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Hartford, Connecticut (BDL) and Los Angeles have been added to the Aer Lingus website as possible connections via DUB. They seem to be only visible if you search for connection options with EI from Berlin (All Airports). A rumoured announcement of both BDL and LAX is expected this week.

Exciting times for BDL !

[Edited 2015-10-10 08:39:03]

lesfalls

RE: Hartford, CT And LAX Loaded On Aer Lingus Website

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Wow! Never expected BDL to be on their list. Probably going to be operated with a 757?

[Edited 2015-10-10 08:37:49]
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Miami

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 1):
Wow! Never expected BDL to be on their list.

Shocking, IMO.

Let's see what's coming up this week.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

usflyguy

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 1):
Wow! Never expected BDL to be on their list. Probably going to be operated with a 757?

I always thought Aer Lingus was an all airbus airline. How long have they been flying the 757 and how many do they have? Thanks.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

Miami

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 3):
How long have they been flying the 757

Since early 2014.

how many do they have?

Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

INFINITI329

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:25 pm

I always thought Aer Lingus was an all airbus airline. How long have they been flying the 757 and how many do they have? Thanks.

It's operated by Air Contractors on behalf of Aer Lingus

SCQ83

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:46 pm

BDL is a very interesting development now that EI is part of IAG. Aer Lingus could be the way for BA to add thinner routes with a B757 and no issues with slots at LHR.

Maybe they could add PVD as well.

lesfalls

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting 321neo (Thread starter):

Does it say on the website how often the flight will be?

[Edited 2015-10-10 11:10:27]

JAmie2k9

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):

The $5 million funding is what is driving the decision...

rnav2dlrey

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:16 pm

this had been rumored for a while. there's a BDL thread somewhere here.

i wonder how much CT will be paying in subsidies - there was a bounty waiting for whichever airline launched TATL first.

was hoping for LHR or AMS for connections, but i'll take what i can get at this point. hopefully DY will be able to service BDL with the 737MAX.

spinkid

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting rnav2dlrey (Reply 9):
hopefully DY will be able to service BDL with the 737MAX.

Well now THAT would just be exciting!

I'm already happy to hear about Aer Lingus and the possible connections, or just a jaunt to Ireland.

lesfalls

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 10):

DY Last week already stated that they planned to start service to BDL.

Capt.Fantastic

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Didn't Northwest operate BDL-AMS? I seem to recall this route from around 2006, although I may be mistaken.

Anyway, glad to see Hartford get some TATL service.

thegoldenargosy

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (Reply 12):

Didn't Northwest operate BDL-AMS? I seem to recall this route from around 2006, although I may be mistaken.

I think it was only around for the summer of 2007 & 2008. It was a victim of the recession. It was operated by the 757.

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 5):
t's operated by Air Contractors on behalf of Aer Lingus

They changed their name in June to ASL Airlines Ireland, they're owned by ASL Aviation Group.

OzarkD9S

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting rnav2dlrey (Reply 9):

was hoping for LHR or AMS for connections, but i'll take what i can get at this point. hopefully DY will be able to service BDL with the 737MAX.

Healthy amount of connection possibilities in DUB. With no nonstop TATL competition ex-BDL it has promise.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

321neo
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 14):
Healthy amount of connection possibilities in DUB

This is true, most cities in Europe in fact. There's also the added bonus of pre-clearance on the way back to the US.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Congrats BDL. Aer Lingus is a great airline, and DUB will be able to connect to most places in Europe. Given the One World tie in, this would likely rule out an AA or BA flight now.

Every market along the eastern seaboard with enough demand for a TATL flight will have service, and the west coast is well covered. I would expect any new service announcements to turn toward the middle of the country soon. Lots of potential markets with sufficient demand for an airline to pick from...CLE, CMH, BNA, IND, MCI, STL, and MSY. A 757, 767, 788, or A330 on daily or less than daily schedules would likely be the aircraft of choice dependent on range and demand.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Honestly I think Hartford might work out. I know a handful of f people who live in Connecticut who hate the traffic getting t JFK. BDL is convenient and DUB is easy for connections .

CairnterriAIR

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:24 am

This is a badly needed service for Southern New England. If marketed properly with emphasis on keeping folks off the horribly congested highways leading to Boston and New York, the service should do well. The economy has improved up here are people are flying. In addition, a pre cleared trans Atlantic flight arriving at the domestic terminal could provide easy interline connections on JetBlue for those wishing to continue onto Florida or Puerto Rico.

Aisak

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Quoting CairnterriAIR (Reply 18):
In addition, a pre cleared trans Atlantic flight arriving at the domestic terminal could provide easy interline connections on JetBlue for those wishing to continue onto Florida or Puerto Rico.

It's true some connections help out filling the plane, but i am not sure how many people fly from DUB to SJU or secondary FL destinations to make this routing appealling, or if arriving at BDL already cleared means a plus for them instead of some other routing.
Sure Aer Lingus and JetBlue do interline, but I am not that sure how strong this will be marketed once EI joins oneworld and the AA-BA-IB joint business.
Gold Circle partners have not changed... yet, but earning on JetBlue is not even possible at the moment. I wouldn't expect an ammendment to correct this. On the contrary the next step should be signing recriprocal FFP agreements with IAG and the other oneworld airlines.

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 16):
Given the One World tie in, this would likely rule out an AA or BA flight now.

Not even it rules out an AA/BA flight out of BDL now but i could open a new variable for route planning. Some secondary markets flown by BA from LHR could be flown by EI from DUB instead. Just depends on the mix and how many passengers (read $/€/£) fly from LON versus connections. That also would free up some LHR slots if needed.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
BDL is a very interesting development now that EI is part of IAG. Aer Lingus could be the way for BA to add thinner routes with a B757 and no issues with slots at LHR.

The only problem is where would the 757 come from if they don't have any now. If EI can get more from Air Contractors (or others) fine. If not, they have to be taken from the routes currently in operation, which I think are SNN-USA. The gap might be covered by AA (and others), but I don't think SNN will be happy if EI moves the few remaining longhaul for DUB expansion.

[Edited 2015-10-11 06:33:40]

321neo
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting Aisak (Reply 19):
The only problem is where would the 757 come from if they don't have any now. If EI can get more from Air Contractors (or others) fine. If not, they have to be taken from the routes currently in operation, which I think are SNN-USA. The gap might be covered by AA (and others), but I don't think SNN will be happy if EI moves the few remaining longhaul for DUB expansion.

An additional 757 and one (potentially two) A330 are being sourced for the upcoming summer season.

Egerton

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Quoting Aisak (Reply 19):

Perhaps the 'small' 757s are used to test potential new destinations? If such markets grow nicely after a couple of years, they can graduate to small wide bodies, such as the A330 series (or 767s, slightly smaller).

There seem to be some good used 757s coming onto the market for folks to buy. Very recently DHL UK (a cargo operator based at East Midlands Airport) said they are planning to replace their 32 old freighter 757s for 32 newer 757s. 787 and now A350 are coming off the production lines in rising numbers (not forgetting the A330NEOs soon). So good inexpensive older aeroplanes with some years of life remaining before a C Check seem good value for seasonal and/or low volume routes, helped by the current very low fuel prices.

Even IAG-BA have taken about 9 used A320s on secondary (10 year?) leases, fully upgraded to the latest standard of IAG fleet specification. They replaced very early 737s whilst IAG awaits the new A320 series of NEOs, presumably including the yet to be delivered long range A321NEO with extra fuel tanks in the belly. With long haul seating for say 150 passengers (no F), these would work well from DUB to East Coast TATL to test new destinations, and replace 757s in due course.

Provided the new DUB 2nd runway gets built pronto.

SaabFA71

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm surprised PHL wasn't considered. The city has a high Irish population and the possible service would fit well with AA and the oneWorld alliance offering connections beyond. Still nice to see Aer Lingus add a new U.S. destination though.
I used all of my sick days, so now I'm calling in dead.

stratocruiser

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:39 pm

While one 757 and one A330 would be sufficient for new routes to BDL and LAX, a second A330 would be needed for any expansion of existing routes such as DUB -BOS and -ORD (both very well performing routes I understand). As I gather fleet compatible 757s and A330s are currently difficult to source, I wonder would Aer Lingus consider the 767-300, as an interim solution, as plenty should be available as many airlines replace them with 787s. They could possibly do it using a similar arrangement with Air Contractors as they currently have with the 757s and their operation would be helped by the dual pilot certification available for both types because of their similar flight deck configuration.

Miami

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Quoting SaabFA71 (Reply 22):
I'm surprised PHL wasn't considered.

PHL, MIA, and DFW are all being under consideration. There's no secret to it.

LAX, we all know what's the deal. It's bound to happen.

EMB170

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:46 pm

'm surprised PHL wasn't considered. The city has a high Irish population and the possible service would fit well with AA and the oneWorld alliance offering connections beyond. Still nice to see Aer Lingus add a new U.S. destination though.

Probably no need to given that AA (nee US) already flies it.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

Egerton

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting stratocruiser (Reply 23):

Yes, another option to grow EI without irritating the accountants.

adamh8297

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm surprised PHL wasn't considered. The city has a high Irish population and the possible service would fit well with AA and the oneWorld alliance offering connections beyond. Still nice to see Aer Lingus add a new U.S. destination though.

As of right now AA (inherited from PMUS) runs PHL-DUB and seasonal SNN-DUB. With EI in IAG, it maybe wise for EI to run that in the future if there's a cost savings or the right plane for those routes.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

superjeff

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 27):
As of right now AA (inherited from PMUS) runs PHL-DUB and seasonal SNN-DUB. With EI in IAG, it maybe wise for EI to run that in the future if there's a cost savings or the right plane for those routes.

www.facebook.com/fairerskies

US ran 757's on PHL-DUB initially, but upgraded, first to the 762, and now the 332 (or even 333). So the route must have been profitable for US/AA. SNN has been a seasonable 752, and AA still has a lot of them, some in international configuration. I don't know about the profitability of that route, but it seems that Dublin, at least, can support a widebody aircraft. With the AA service ORD-DUB-ORD and PHL-DUB-PHL, there is a certain synergy available that for now EI can't match, unless their operating costs are a lot less.

I would think that a flight between DUB and DFW would make a lot of sense for EI or even AA.

oly720man

Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:20 pm

BDL have been after EI for a while apparently

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/arti...ort-authority-wooing-irish-airline

May give it a go, if it comes to pass, for visiting family near New Haven. About half the distance it is to JFK and without the usually awful traffic in and around NYC.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

tom11

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Anyone know when the official announcement is?

vv701

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Quoting Egerton (Reply 21):
There seem to be some good used 757s coming onto the market for folks to buy. Very recently DHL UK (a cargo operator based at East Midlands Airport) said they are planning to replace their 32 old freighter 757s for 32 newer 757s.

All of these aircraft are ex-BA. It was the launch customer (together with EA) ordering 19 in March 1979 with deliveries starting in early 1983. In the main the DHL operated aircraft came from this batch. All were converted to B 757 SFs for DHL in the early 2000s.

So many are well over 30 years old. They all have quite a few hours on the clock - for example as of the end of last December G-BIKC had clocked up 42,245 hours. Even one of the youngest, G-BMRJ, that was delivered by Boeing in March 1989, had clocked up 39,621 hours as of the end of last year.

To be used by EI these aircraft would need to be converted back from the 757 SF (Special Freighter) configuration. It includes a large cargo door to the main deck on the right side of the forward fuselage.

So I expect that when DHL does replace them they are destined for the graveyard.

[Aircraft hours from UK CAA G-INFO web site.]

AmricanShamrok

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 28):
SNN has been a seasonable 752, and AA still has a lot of them, some in international configuration. I don't know about the profitability of that route

PHL-SNN has been very successful since it was relaunched.

Quote:
The airline, through the merger with US Airways, already operates daily services from Shannon to Philadelphia in the summer season - from May to mid-October - and recently increased capacity by some 58%, which was required to meet growing demand on the route.

Ms Boda said the Shannon market was “very, very important to us”.

“It is one of our strongest seasonal markets that we have and we are very, very happy with our performance here. We appreciate all of your support for this market as well,” she said.
http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...ar-round-shannon-service-1-6782633

Egerton

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 31):
So I expect that when DHL does replace them they are destined for the graveyard.

Agreed. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that if DHL think there are 32 newer passenger spec 757s readily available over the next few years to convert to freighter, then likely there will be other newer passenger 757s which may likewise be available. It would surely be uneconomic to convert back any freighter to passenger spec, whatever their age or type?

tom11

Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 am

Looks like Hartford has been taken off the website. Perhaps they are waiting for an official press release? There's lots of other cities on the EI site like CHS, for example, that don't have non-stop service, so maybe it's just a fluke?

lesfalls

Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:59 am

Quoting tom11 (Reply 34):

I think we all know the story when that Happens . It means that this post was obviously looked at By EI and tsaid:

Employee:Sir, we have a leak again (having said this so many times because of us causing so much frustration to airline companies ).

Manager: Again! Take it off our website then before any of those other aviation Enthusiasts find out.

End.

Enjoy , Lesfalls  

tom11

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Formal announcement schedule for tomorrow, per Hartford Courant.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-a...-flight-dublin-20151020-story.html

usairways85

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 pm

As for the 3rd US destination, haven't DFW, MIA, & PHL all been mentioned as possibilities. I think it will be MIA or DFW. Unless AA thinks they can utilize the aircraft better elsewhere and swap with EI, I don't think PHL is going to get a year-round 2nd frequency.

757usairways

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 37):

Why do you say that when AA continually upgraded from the B752-B762 and now to the A332. EL could send PHL a summer seasonal B752 or A332,

rnav2dlrey

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:43 pm

WFSB reporting tonight that DY plans to service BDL in 2017 (it was an aside to the EI report).

i know it's already been mentioned here, but that's the first i've heard from mainstream media.

Viscount724

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 31):
To be used by EI these aircraft would need to be converted back from the 757 SF (Special Freighter) configuration. It includes a large cargo door to the main deck on the right side of the forward fuselage.

Left side, not right. I've never seen an aircraft with a main deck cargo door on the right side.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos