eielef
Topic Author

Why TK Is Not Flying To BTS?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:07 pm

One of the few European capitals which is not served by Turkish is Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. You might say that they do flight to Vienna, which is just 100km away, but is not a very cleaver idea.
Has TK ever flied there? Why not? It has a fair airport, with too little traffic... And is the capital city of an amazing country!

DolphinAir747

RE: Why TK Is Not Flying To BTS?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:17 pm

That surprises me indeed, I know BTS used to have flights to several cities in India so there must be a market for southeastern routes out of BTS. TK does fly to close airports like AMS and RTM and who knows, with the European refugee crisis and the rebuilding of borders landing in one country and then driving to another may not be so simple in the future unfortunately, so in short yes I think there is a market.

777klm

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Take a look at this map and your question is largely answered. It also explains why both AMS and RTM are served despite their proximity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_i...rope#/media/File:Turksineurope.png
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

migair54

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:56 pm

It does surprise me also, with the extensive network or TK adding another destination to the network it always important but in this case due to proximity of VIE, maybe the market is very good in VIE and they decide to make it stronger and try to attract pax from BTS to VIE, if BTS is not doing very good and fares are cheap it might cause some deterioration in the yields out of VIE, so maybe it´s better this way.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 1):
TK does fly to close airports like AMS and RTM and who knows,

AMS and RTM are even closer, but I think both cities are nice markets for business travellers, I don´t think BTS is like RTM. Other close cities are Hamburg-Bremen, Dusseldor-Cologne.

PieterBoth

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 1):
That surprises me indeed, I know BTS used to have flights to several cities in India so there must be a market for southeastern routes out of BTS.

I think that was more, Air Slovakia flights from the UK flying to places such as Amritsar via BTS which was used as a stopover (not sure of the reason - poss aircraft range?). The flights were catering to the Sikh diaspora in the UK, rather than to Slovak demand for the route.

I think BTS is just too close to VIE for TK and many other airlines.
But it is a lovely city!

eielef
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:26 pm

But I mean, TK flies to destinations pretty close to each other, like for instance Luxembourg. There is no people there! And it has amazing connections to Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and specially France. A daily flight to LUX seems quite weird. But they have one.
Same with TGD, SKP, SJJ, PRN and few more... Even they fly to smaller airports in Denmark (i think). They fly to almost every european country, with Slovakia the exception. If not BTS, why not try KSC, or TAT?

SCQ83

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 pm

In a way, if someone would fly to BTS will be TK. They are experts serving any other secondary airport in Europe. On then other hand, VIE is so close and so well connected to Bratislava...

The only medium-haul flight that BTS has is DXB with FlyDubai, but I assume that has to do with market positioning; EK flies to VIE and FZ to the "low-cost" airport (BTS).

Quoting eielef (Reply 5):
But I mean, TK flies to destinations pretty close to each other, like for instance Luxembourg. There is no people there! And it has amazing connections to Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and specially France. A daily flight to LUX seems quite weird. But they have one.

I wonder what is "weird" about TK flying to LUX. KLM, BA, TAP, Swiss or Lufthansa have several daily flights to Luxembourg. There are much larger airports in Europe (where TK flies) that do not see that amount of daily flights from legacy carriers.

mjoelnir

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Quoting eielef (Thread starter):
You might say that they do flight to Vienna, which is just 100km away, but is not a very cleaver idea.

Try 50 to 60 km and you have the choice of rail or bus from VIE to Bratislava, or use a Taxi. On the other hand you have Passengers from Vienna flying out of BTS for cheap holiday flights.

B8887

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 pm

. There is no people there!

There are people there. Check out this cool website if you want to watch Luxembourgers in their natural habitat.

http://www.cita.lu/en/live-stream/a1.html

Regards.

B8887

Aquila3

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 7):

Also note that to reach Swechat (VIE) airport from Vienna you take exactly the highway for Bratislava. VIE is somewwhat midway from Vienna and Bratislava, timewise, using a car. A matter of half an hour or even less if not in peak hours.
(I know, at the moment there are heavy construction works just before VIE, but they should be over in a while).
As from the transport between the two capitals there is even a relatively fast ferry boat on the Donau river (something like 75 minutes), but I am not aware of a particularly convenient rail line going from Bratislava to VIE. All the trains that I know go only to Vienna, so they are not particularly convenient for people going to /from Bratislava.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

PieterBoth

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and specially France

This is due to the Turkish diaspora - all have large Turkish populations - not only people born in Turkey, but also second and third generation.

But I mean, TK flies to destinations pretty close to each other, like for instance Luxembourg. There is no people there!

As for Luxembourg - as B8887 mentions:

Quoting B8887 (Reply 8):
There are people there

And also importantly, there are people around Luxembourg that use Luxembourg airport - including people living in Wallonia (southern Belgium), eastern France (incl the sizeable cities of Metz and Nancy) and Rhineland Pfalz and Saarland which include the cities of Trier and Saarbrucken - these areas will also contain a sizeable Turkish diaspora. So LUX is not that off-the-wall really.

Lastly, to not pin too much on the effects of diaspora, Luxembourg is a major finance and EU centre, so this may also factor (definitely a factor for BA, LX, LH). TP I'm sure is down to diaspora - Luxembourg has a large Portuguese population.

mjoelnir

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 9):
but I am not aware of a particularly convenient rail line going from Bratislava to VIE

You go by train to Wien Hbf. and change there on to the train to Bratislava, or by taxi to the station Simmering and catch the train there. The train runs north of the Donau.

Buyantukhaa

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:28 am

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 9):
I am not aware of a particularly convenient rail line going from Bratislava to VIE

The airport line used to go to Bratislava until 1945, but now ends at Wolfsthal. I am not sure if the dismantled section Wolfsthal-Petrzalka will ever be reinstated.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

marosbts

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 am

TK has no reasons operating to BTS for the time beeing. They are very well established at VIE which is a Star Alliance hub which helps too. Flying into BTS would only mean that you take away demand from flights which are operating out of VIE, so it really has no sense.

As for a link from BTS to IST - I would actually expect Pegasus to operate ex BTS and with the much lower cost the airport can offer, they would be able to attract pax to BTS. Especially the ethnic turkish comunity is price sensitive, and Pegasus could offer much lower fares - airport taxes are lower, no Eco-tax in Slovakia and the airport can offer services at lower prices than VIE.

But, so far its not happening.

Turkish350XWB

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:32 pm

KSC

Homobohemicus

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Agree with so many here. Travellers from Bratislava somehow learned to use Vienna's Schwechat airport (its exactly 62.5km / max 43min by car, which is roughly the same duration taking me from Suvarnabhumi to downtown BKK where I live).

Bratislava airport is picking up after decades of nothingness but it will remain a low cost/seasonal charter with one or two legacies. There will never be any useful flight frequency making VIE almost the only option for so many.

mjoelnir

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Quoting Buyantukhaa (Reply 12):
The airport line used to go to Bratislava until 1945, but now ends at Wolfsthal. I am not sure if the dismantled section Wolfsthal-Petrzalka will ever be reinstated.

They finished the railway station on the Vienna airport in 2014. They are adding trains as it is. Now only the ICE coming from the west starts and ends at the airport. They will start running REX trains from that station sometime in the future and that could include a direct connection to Bratislava. Now you have to take the ICE to Wien Hbf and change over to the REX going to Bratislava.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos