Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetwet1
Topic Author

Garuda LGW Ops

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:55 am

I was just doing a quick search for a fare on GA LGW-JKT and the GA website is coming up blank, did GA stop LGW ops and I missed it ?

GSTBA

RE: Garuda LGW Ops

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:56 am

No they haven't stopped LGW ops. Flight currently operate LGW-AMS-CGK

factsonly

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Thread starter):
search for a fare on GA LGW-JKT and the GA website

Did you select the right date, as the flight only operates 3x/week ex. LGW:

- Monday
- Wednesday
- Saturday

eta unknown

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 am

Route still operating, but under the microscope. The LON sales manager walked in June after a year in the job and one member of the board of directors wants to cut LGW, but Indo politics (and face saving) doesn't permit this at the moment...

EVAAIRBR076

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:14 am

I just put my girlfriend and daughter on that flight GA0088 from amsterdam to gatwick. As a passenger its a good deal, i paid €46 for a one way ticket, u can take 30kg luggage and at the check in its always empty, u dont even get that with easyjet haha. But yes i was wondering the same, as i booked this flight several times, hardly any passengers and i doubt there will be any passengers from lgw to ams and then to jkt. I didnt even get the reason behind the flight to lgw, idonesians are mostly wide populated in the netherlands. Or was it to get a bit more profit cause the ground time at amsterdam would be quite long if the didnt to the lgw flight?

eta unknown

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 am

Quoting EVAAIRBR076 (Reply 4):
I didnt even get the reason behind the flight to lgw, idonesians are mostly wide populated in the netherlands. Or was it to get a bit more profit cause the ground time at amsterdam would be quite long if the didnt to the lgw flight?

The previous board decided that operating JKT-AMS-LGW would be less of a bloodbath than operating dedicated flights to AMS & LGW. JKT-AMS used to lose A LOT of $$$, but route performance did improve with the nonstop 777's... but then they tacked on LGW and the blood is gushing again.
FYI there is considerable UK investment in Indo, hence why LON was chosen. However, the ME3 control the market... GA makes a token effort to sell Kangaroo route seats to fill the plane (at low yield), but it's just one big mess. A LGW-SIN-JKT route would be a better option if LON is to remain.

skipness1E

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:48 am

it depends what you mean. There is no way this is commercially viable in the current trading environment. However things being what they are, sometimes politics needs to get involved, this is why Phillipines is back at LHR and Garuda back at LGW, competing in markets with no hope of making money. I flew with GA this spring on LGW-AMS and it was full on Friday with weekend trippers to Holland, virtually empty coming back on the Sat morning. There was a handful of people going to Indonesia, so on the face of it, it makes no sense. However outside the First World (can we still say that?), there are often good compelling reasons for operating in these markets. Position, face, profile, jobs for people etc.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 2):
Did you select the right date, as the flight only operates 3x/week ex. LGW:

Yep, interestingly, when I try and book it as a return trip the system doesn't show a flight, when I book it as 2 one ways it does, time to call GA.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

[Edited 2015-10-14 04:34:16]

readytotaxi

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Interesting,

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 7):

If you look at BA, a one way Club europe flight to AMS is £310, GA offer the same at £230 and LOOK at the different cabin you get for your money with GA, hands down winner, if you happen to be going that way.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos