Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonCity
Topic Author

Etihad To Reduce A380 Service To LHR By One-third

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Last August, Etihad began operating as many as x3 daily flights between AbuDhabi and London by A380. It was thought that the airline would soon begin to emulate Emirates with an all-A380 operation.

But now, in a change of tack, Etihad will cut its A380 services into LHR by around one third.

What makes it confusing for passengers is that the London route will now be served by three plane types which not g doen well high fare paying passengers who are fussy about the products they will receive in the premium classes.

The cuts take effect from November 23 and it appears that JFK is getting the A380 at the expense of LHR.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...reduces-a380-operation-at-heathrow

waly777

RE: Etihad To Reduce A380 Service To LHR By One-third

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:39 pm

This is temporary until more 380's arrive in the fleet. At least one more should be active in the fleet by December.

[Edited 2015-10-15 14:41:16]
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

Armodeen

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Down to 1 A380 on some days over winter with B77W and A346 filling the gaps. Next summer showing 3 x A380 again most days at the moment.

Etihad have annoyed a lot of folks with these swaps as the 380 is far superior to the other two in the pointy end.

lhristebest

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Comparing the A345 and A380 at EY the A345 was more comfortable, its not a huge loss if you got the A346.

jetjack74

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Or maybe its EY focusing on a prudent business model, adjusting it's quantity of service based on actual demand rather than fabricating an imaginary demand with I think EK does just disrupt market and drive prices down in attempt to destroy home competitors. I see EY as the most sensible of the ME3 from my POV. Were as EK and QR are the 2 that are out to destroy competitiord with reckless abandonment, EY seem to be the more conservatively run company and not trying to dominate every market by flooding each destination they fly to with seats (that any real airline could never do) in attempt to obliterate the market. EK would fly an A380 into Pasco WA and claim it has the demand for it just to scare everyone else away.

[Edited 2015-10-15 16:16:48]
Made from jets!

Armodeen

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 am

Quoting lhristebest (Reply 3):

Comparing the A345 and A380 at EY the A345 was more comfortable, its not a huge loss if you got the A346.

It certainly is in F (I have a vested interest here as I anxiously wait to see if my A380 F ride avoids the chop).

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 4):

I'll have whatever you're smoking 

incitatus

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting LondonCity (Thread starter):
high fare paying passengers who are fussy about the products they will receive in the premium classes.

While some care about product, I do not believe they are a majority. Most traffic up front is corporate. Either there is a corporate deal or company looks for cheapest business class across most airlines (Syrian Air and the likes excluded).
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

DolphinAir747

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:26 am

Quoting incitatus (Reply 6):
While some care about product, I do not believe they are a majority. Most traffic up front is corporate.

Not really, definitely not in F where many are Middle Eastern oligarchs with absurd amounts of money who fly to LHR and CDG on shopping trips and love the bling.

lightsaber

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:53 am

What is with the aircraft variation? If all three had very similar it would be better, but A346, 77W, and A380 are too different and will confuse customers. I'm OK with reducing seats seasonally, but EY should pick two aircraft, any two, for some product consistency.

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

DolphinAir747

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:56 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 8):
What is with the aircraft variation? If all three had very similar it would be better, but A346, 77W, and A380 are too different and will confuse customers. I'm OK with reducing seats seasonally, but EY should pick two aircraft, any two, for some product consistency.

Agreed. Especially with the A380 having such an absurdly amazing premium product and LHR being the most logical market for it, come on EY get your act together.

SKAirbus

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:04 am

I think they are getting another A380 shortly as I saw one doing a touch and go at HAM on Tuesday afternoon.
Base: BRU

ish2dachoppa

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 am

I just took this trip a week ago (trip report coming, plenty of pics to share), and up top in J there were very few empty seats. This was a Friday morning flight, and judging by the number of passengers in the passport line with me, a fair share of them connected to other flights, both from J & Y. I was surprised when the Etihad Chaufeur driver told me there were three flight per day from AUH.

skipness1E

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 am

Or maybe its EY focusing on a prudent business model, adjusting it's quantity of service based on actual demand rather than fabricating an imaginary demand with I think EK does just disrupt market and drive prices down in attempt to destroy home competitors.

There was no commercial imperative for Etihad to be set up with Emirates already down the road in Dubai. Looking at the fares paid for the amazing quality of service even in Y you can't help but wonder how profitable all of this is and how. At least Emirates with all their political advantages is on a semi commercial footing. Etihad and Qatar Airways are more extensions of the state than Emirates.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Which is a bizarre position given that EK is the only one that is run at arms-length (think more SQ than AI), the only one that reports it's audited financial results, and the only one that comes from an almost bankrupt state. EK is the the only one that is likely sustainable without support.

QR and EY both do rely on their cozy relationships with their respective governments. While neither are , generally speaking, quick to throw good capacity after bad, they aren't necessarily run on commercial grounds.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos