Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

monkey
Topic Author

DL To CTG, MDE, When CLO ....Colombia

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Seems to me that the DL gaining market share in Colombia. MDE, CTG starting in DEC, looks like the 757 out of JFK / ATL to BOG. When will we still DL to CLO ?

john

[Edited 2015-10-18 09:59:53]

Hagic

RE: DL To CTG, MDE, When CLO ....Colombia

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:26 pm

This has been extensively discussed here:

Delta Adds 2 Destinations In Colombia: MDE & CTG (by summa767 Apr 5 2015 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=6364423&searchid=6366860&s=MDE#ID6366860
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

Frostbite

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 am

None of DL's forays into South American secondary markets thus far - Guayaquil, Fortaleza, Recife, Brasilia - have proved up. If DL is successful in CTG and MDE, then sure, we might see them expand to CLO in a few years. But, first things first.

In DLs favor, the Colombian economy has been a bright spot in northern South America, even more so now with the collapse in oil prices. Cheap oil will help DL on multiple levels. Also tourism is growing (read CTG) as the country sheds its former reputation. Maybe these factors will provide a tail wind to DL's Colombian expansion. I hope it works out, Colombia is a wonderful country and it would be great to see proliferation of links to USA.

pipeafcr

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 am

There will probably be another wave of destinations to Colombia that could include CLO, BGA, ADZ, BAQ and SMR. The future is bright for Colombia
Felipe Carrillo

Abeam79

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:16 pm

B6 had been already aggressive in Colombia and successful. I have Colombian in-laws and they love and swear by flying B6. DL is able to afford the losses while they play catch-up, but I don't think their foray into that market can match up with B6 better product imo.

[Edited 2015-10-19 09:13:31]

[Edited 2015-10-19 09:14:09]

winGl3t

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 4):
Columbia

Colombia  

Abeam79

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting winGl3t (Reply 5):

Thanks, my in-laws would've been disappointed at me, lol

Summa767

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:46 pm

CLO is Colombia's third largest city, and yet it is only served by one US airline: AA. neither JetBlue that serves MDE and CTG, or Spirit that serves 4 cities in Colombia, 2 of them smaller than CLO have opted to serve it.

AA is putting on an additional daily MIA-CLO for December/January -peak season in this market. This will be the first time that AA does that and so they must see an opportunity there.

I guess that it will be a matter of time before another US carrier lands in CLO. For the moment is doing quite well with European ones: KL started service there in March of this year, and IB followed in July -both as riangular routes with BOG and MDE respectively. AV has dedicated service to MAD 5 times a week too.

AA767400

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Quoting summa767 (Reply 7):
CLO is Colombia's third largest city, and yet it is only served by one US airline: AA. neither JetBlue that serves MDE and CTG, or Spirit that serves 4 cities in Colombia, 2 of them smaller than CLO have opted to serve it.

I've always wondered about this. Do you think it's because MDE/CTG have a larger catchmen area? I know MDE is surrounded by many large cities and towns up, and down the valley. CTG has the beach tourist attraction, with nearby islands and such.
"The low fares airline."

monkey
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:28 pm

I think one would be surprised to see the connecting traffic to CLO on DL to BOG.

Quoting summa767 (Reply 7):

My thought Excally, Ive been in and out of CLO 35X in the past 3 years (always connect on DL out of BOG). The pricing between CLO and BOG can vary, I am sure AV is aware of the limited connections options for PAX connecting off the late night arrival bank from the USA. Choices are simple, overnight in BOG or pay the fare, I have paid more to travel to CLO from BOG than the one way JFK - BOG on DL

IMO DL has made a wise investment in Colombia, I personally feel that Colombia has much more to offer than the Caribbean and just a few more miles down the road. I would love for DL in CLO !

MAH4546

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Cali is a very small market to the United States with demand very heavily concentrated to South Florida (80%+), much more so than other markets that are increasingly seeing demand spread across the country.
a.

pipeafcr

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 8):
Do you think it's because MDE/CTG have a larger catchmen area?

Yes both CTG and MDE have a large catchmen area, but so does CLO (even more than CTG). Cali and its proximity to one of Colombia's largest ports on the Pacific are a growing influence on the economy, Cali is Colombia's stronghold for sports as it's a must host city for international events and the Valle del Cauca and Choco regions are being recognise internationally for tourism. It's only a matter of time before more direct routes are added
Felipe Carrillo

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Quoting Frostbite (Reply 2):
Also tourism is growing (read CTG) as the country sheds its former reputation.

And rightfully so. Just got back from my first trip to CTG, and am in absolute LOVE with the place.

It's like Cancun was in the '80s. I can definitely see it blowing up in popularity.

USAmericans may be delayed in partaking though, if Cuba opens up to them for general tourism any time soon.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RCS763AV

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:33 pm

The Cali market has been stagnant to the US. No new capacity has been added for years until now with the new AA frequency and 0 LCCs have even mentioned Cali in their plans. I think this has to do with the fact that the Valle del Cauca economy has stagnant until very recently (around 5-7 years) and that airport concessionaire Aerocali hasn't focused it's efforts in promoting Cali as a destination to US carriers (they focused more on Europe).

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 11):
Yes both CTG and MDE have a large catchmen area, but so does CLO (even more than CTG).

Yes Medellín metro area has around 3.5 million people, Cali has around 2.8 and Cartagena around 1.1. But CLO is nowhere the tourist destination that CTG is, nor has the strong and dynamic economy of the Aburrá Valley.

Cali and its proximity to one of Colombia's largest ports on the Pacific are a growing influence on the economy

Yes. This will surely shape up Cali's economy to focus on the asian markets. US west coast connection opportunities could be seen.

Cali is Colombia's stronghold for sports as it's a must host city for international events

Do you really think that having a couple of third tier sports events a year generates traffic for year-round flights to the United States?

and the Valle del Cauca and Choco regions are being recognise internationally for tourism.

Chocó? The day we see masses of american tourists filling flights to Cali in order to get to Chocó (it's even closer to get there from Medellín)...

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 10):
ali is a very small market to the United States with demand very heavily concentrated to South Florida (80%+), much more so than other markets that are increasingly seeing demand spread across the country.

I think that your analyses on market sizes are very important and objective, but they always lack the market stimulation factor. No one would have thought that a city like Armenia would be able to sustain NK's flights to FLL. Yet there they are. Many markets seem stagnant but when new capacity is added, specially by low fare airlines, they rapidly respond.

I think Cali has the potential for a couple of LCC flights to FLL/JFK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos